Start by marking “The Shining City (Rhiannon's Ride #2)” as Want to Read:
The Shining City (Rhiannon's Ride #2)

The Shining City (Rhiannon's Ride #2)

4.01  ·  Rating Details ·  1,972 Ratings  ·  32 Reviews
Rhiannon, a wild and fierce half-human girl, tamed a winged horse to escape the vicious satyricorn tribe who raised her. In the human world, the handsome apprentice-witch Lewen has convinced her to stay with him and learn to use her strong magical talents. But before her training can commence, Rhiannon must answer for a past crime in…

THE SHINING CITY

Imprisoned in Sorro

Mass Market Paperback, 544 pages
Published April 4th 2006 by Roc (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about The Shining City, please sign up.

✍Neyla Kunta ✍
Jeder darf mir den Hintern küssen, denn ich habe es -endlich!- geschafft!

Rezension mit Bildern, Links, etc auf meinem Blog :)

Da dies der zweite Band der Reihe rund um Rhiannon ist, enthält diese Rezension, selbstverständlich, Spoiler.

Fakten über das Buch:

Verlag: blanvalet
Seitenzahl: 640
ISBN: 978-3-641-16830-8
Preis: 6,99€
Lesezeitraum: 16/7/16 – 11/8/16

Kurzbeschreibung:

Die Geschichte um Rhiannon geht weiter!
Endlich in der großen Stadt, wo der Righ seinen S
Doc Opp
Dec 07, 2007 Doc Opp rated it liked it
One of my pet peeves in a book is when normally smart characters become incompetent idiots when it would be inconvenient for the plot for them to be smart. This book taught me another pet peeve: characters who are incompetent idiots at all times, regardless of the plot. This book is full of such characters. In fact, so few of the good guys have any intellectual redeeming qualities that I was finding myself starting to root for the bad guys.

I still really like the world Forsythe has created, but
Vickey Foggin
Feb 07, 2017 Vickey Foggin rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
I just read this a few days ago and I can't remember what happened other than the main character spent a lot of time (too much time) depressed in prison. It seemed ok when I was reading it, though not as good as the first book. It's a shame because I really liked the first one. Kate Forsyth is proving to be a really irregular writer.
Ioet
Jun 15, 2011 Ioet rated it it was amazing
If you've read the first novel in this series and are uncertain about getting the second one, trust me on this: GET IT. You will love it. And if you've never read any of Kate Forsyth's work before, get it too - it's a great introduction to her richly imagined world of witches, faeries, and lords.[return][return]Rhiannon is a half-satyricorn who unwittingly gets herself caught up in the affairs of the country of Eileanan when she flees her tribe. Found to possess strong magic, Lewen, a young man ...more
Buffy Greentree
Like the first book, I really enjoyed the actual writing, and was sucked along to find out what happens. However, also like the first book, I became extremely frustrated in the climax at the characters making illogical decisions and not using their resources to achieve their goals. All the problems of the book should have been solved very easily, but it wasn't, for no apparent reason.
Finally, I found the separation of this and the next book also irritating. I read expecting to have a particular
Jammies
Oct 04, 2010 Jammies rated it liked it
Oh, my dog, I wouldn't be 24 again for all the money in the world!
Lauren
Mar 12, 2017 Lauren rated it liked it
Seychella
Sep 29, 2011 Seychella rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Im zweiten Teil der Trilogie “Rhiannons Ride” wird deutlich, warum die Reihe so heißt. Landon schrieb eine Ballade mit diesem Titel, um beim einfachen Volk Unterstützung für Rhiannon zu erhalten, während sie auf ihren Prozess wartete. Oder wie Félice es ausgedrückt hat:

“Rhiannons Ritt” oder “Die Gefangene vom Kummertor-Turm”, eine Ballade in drei Teilen, geschrieben von dem begabten, jungen Poeten Landon MacPhillip aus Magpie Wood.

Es wird auch deutlich, dass man die vorhergehende Reihe “Der magi
Karissa
Dec 30, 2010 Karissa rated it it was amazing
This is the second book in the trilogy Rhiannon's Ride. This book was full of much more intrigue than the first book (it takes place at the Royal Court). There is not much action in the first half of the book; this change of pace does not make the series suffer though, I actually though this book was even better than the first one.

Rhiannon, Lewen and crew show up in Lucescere and things turn out as awful as Rhiannon thought they would. Rhiannon is thrown into prison while her friends try to comf
Nele
Aug 26, 2014 Nele rated it liked it
Forsyth has a great talent to create worlds. The first book in the trilogy already impressed me with its atmospheric settings, its love for details and its richly described characters and worlds. The dialect of the chracters gets some getting used to in the beginning, but then it adds to the atmosphere. I really enjoy getting lost in the world of Eileeanan.
Unfortunately the characters, though beautifully described, tend to behave somewhat stupidly. More than once while reading the book I found
Celia
Nov 20, 2010 Celia rated it liked it
After the extended road trip that is The Tower of Ravens, Rhiannon, love of her life Lewen, and the other witches-to-be end up in the city at... well, I've forgetten what it's called, but the big witch's academy. Rhiannon spends almost the entirety of this book in a gaol cell, going a little bit crazy. Lewen spends a lot of the book going a little bit crazy about Rhiannon being stuck in a a gaol cell, and being oblivious to the attentions of his childhood friend Olwynne. Also, there is political ...more
Cassandra Page
Mar 16, 2012 Cassandra Page rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Shining City is essentially one giant set-up for the third book. It even ends with a cliffhanger - which is not to say that I found it a bad book at all, but I do remember the first time I read it (when it was first released) I wanted to swear a little at Forsyth for getting me so invested in what was going on and then making me wait for the third book.

It wouldn't matter so much, except that her characters draw you in (even when you want to smack them for being idiots, which happens in this
Mike The Pirate
Jan 08, 2009 Mike The Pirate marked it as to-read
Shelves: books-i-own
I love love love Kate Forsyth's books, but for some reason whenever I start one, I have a vague sense of uneasiness. I'm not kidding, I don't know what causes it because whenever I read her books I get completely lost in the story, especially this series, which is a great offshoot of her Witches of Eileannan series.
Sonia
Nov 09, 2011 Sonia rated it liked it
Loved the book but found it a bit distressing at parts (maybe I'm just an extra sensitive soul!) I thought there was too much description of Rhiannon's imprisonment and Olwynne's maliciousness- although it was probably much more realistic than a more gentle version would have been, you are reading the book for pleasure, not to be distressed!
Tammy
Mar 03, 2010 Tammy rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, own
Rhiannon awaits trial for the murder in Sorrowgate Tower in Lucescere, where she is haunted by a powerful and ruthless spirit. Meanwhile, Olwynne is disturbed by reoccurring dreams of Lachlan's murder.

I liked the second book in the trilogy, but the plot felt a little slow and disjointed at times. I was happy that Isabeau and the royal family featured prominently.
Stuart Macmartin
Aug 31, 2013 Stuart Macmartin rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-in-2013, fantasy
What a frustrating book. I really liked about 1/4 of it. The rest was deathly boring and I read it double-speed. Take the character that makes the series interesting and lock her up for 300 pages. I expect the payoff in the 3rd book, so tolerated this one. Hope I'm right about the next one. It does seem well set up now.
Music_lover3
Aug 16, 2010 Music_lover3 rated it it was ok
I didn't read all of this one. I read it about halfway then set it aside for a while, then finally just picked it up and read the very end of it. It was all right. Not as good as the first one. I also found it difficult to read because of the strange style, especially the dialogue. It was written very old style and it made for slow reading. I don't think I'll be picking up the third one.
Morgan
Oct 13, 2008 Morgan rated it really liked it
Devoured this in one sitting. I really loved that some of my favorite characters-- and their troublesome children-- are back in action in this book. The old and the new meld beautifully-- and darkly-- together in some lovely prose.

Forsyth is my favorite Celtic writer, for sure.
mirba
Oct 29, 2014 mirba rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy
put two stars cause I skipped I think a good 50% of the book.
Of the rest 30% is really good and enjoyable. The rest is mostly innerdialogue of this or that character, and boring dialogues as well...
Karen
Dec 04, 2009 Karen rated it liked it
just couldn't put the books down!
Becca Boyd
Dec 05, 2012 Becca Boyd rated it it was ok
Read 200 odd pages and calling it quits. I now hate the MC more than I can actually stand.
Moonlight Reads
Oct 17, 2012 Moonlight Reads rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own-hard-copy
Read full review at www.moonlightreads.com
Pamela
Jun 21, 2010 Pamela rated it it was amazing
This series is awesome, can't wait for the last book!
Megan
Feb 08, 2010 Megan rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
I didnt' like this one as well as the first book in the series, but I still liked it.
Cherie Barton
Aug 11, 2011 Cherie Barton rated it it was amazing
Shelves: eileanan
Couldn't put it down.....read it over 3 days.
Lyra Rose
Oct 29, 2008 Lyra Rose rated it it was amazing
Find my review at http://lyraroses.blogspot.com
Kristen
Jul 01, 2008 Kristen rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
A little slower, I thought, than the first one. But not by much! I still love this series.
Kendra
Followup to the first book. Amazing amount of story, considering the main character is in a prison through most of it. Really enjoyable, though a sad ending.
Kim Williams
Jan 31, 2013 Kim Williams rated it really liked it
amazing
Jessica
Jun 13, 2012 Jessica rated it it was amazing
A heart wrenching read from the master of fanstasy
  • Destiny (Trinity, #3)
  • The Palace of Impossible Dreams (Tide Lords, #3)
  • Scatterlings
  • Song of Unmaking
  • The Spell of Rosette (Quantum Enchantment, #1)
  • The House of Gaian (Tir Alainn, #3)
  • The Universe Parallel (Triad Of Being, #2)
Kate Forsyth wrote her first novel at the age of seven, and is now the award-winning & internationally bestselling author of more than 35 books for both adults and children.

Her books for adults include 'The Beast's Garden', a retelling of the Grimm version of 'Beauty & the Beast', set in the German underground resistance to Hitler in WWII; 'The Wild Girl', the love story of Wilhelm Grimm
More about Kate Forsyth...

Rhiannon's Ride (3 books)
  • The Tower of Ravens (Rhiannon's Ride, #1)
  • The Heart of Stars (Rhiannon's Ride #3)