Start by marking “Myrna Loy: Being and Becoming” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Myrna Loy: Being and B...

James Kotsilibas-Davis

Myrna Loy: Being and Becoming

4.17  ·  Rating Details  ·  388 Ratings  ·  25 Reviews
The rich autobiography of one of the most popular actresses of the '30s and '40s, her own story wonderfully augmented by memories of many of her co-stars and colleagues. 32 pages of photographs.
Published (first published 1987)

To ask other readers questions about Myrna Loy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Myrna Loy

Greg
Oct 01, 2007 Greg rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: becca
I had the privilege of working with her (Myrna Loy) 8 shows a week for 5 weeks in the late 70's at the Country Dinner Playhouse in Austin, Texas. She was amazing. Always wanted to go out partying with the cast rather returning to her hotel suite. She was just as vivacious as she was in the Thin Man movies. One of the best memories of my entire life was meeting, dining and playing with the great Myrna Loy.
Meredith
Mar 21, 2009 Meredith rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Myrna Loy is one of my favorite actresses of all time, and this autobiography made her one of my favorite persons of all time. She was a delightful actor but proved herself more than that in her devotion to politics and social causes. She seemed like a down to earth, classy lady and I pity the person who received her withering stare reserved for bigots and conservatives.
Christina
Nov 23, 2011 Christina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is my all time favorite biography. Myrna Loy was such a wonderful actress I can sit through any of her films at any time. I loved her book very much because she enjoyed what she did whether it be acting or politics. Loy's story telling is as sharp and witty as a line from The Thin Man. This is a must read for not only fans of Myrna Loy's but for fans of classic Hollywood.
Allyson
Mar 06, 2011 Allyson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
LOVED IT! One thing that I love about ms. loy is that she is humble about her life and accomplishments. Its a great book which talks about her life before, during and after making films. But what is most important is that it kept me interested all the way to the end. She truly was a unique character of her time and does not get half the attention she deserves.
Doug Dams
Feb 20, 2012 Doug Dams rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've been a Myrna Loy fan since I first saw "The Thin Man" movies on TV. So, I read this book to find out more about Myrna Loy. The book is well-written and her personality is evident in the writing. She enjoyed dancing in high school and once modeled for a sculpture. This led to acting. She had a few roles in silent movies, but became a star during the talkies. She was voted Queen of Hollywood by the fans in the 1930s. Her most memorable films came during the 1930s and 1940s. I found the book b ...more
Wafiqah
Apr 21, 2011 Wafiqah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I think this is the best Autobiography there is out there. It's not the kind that tells all. Sure maybe it's a bit biased, but I do believe she had put in every phase of her life in this book, good or bad. She was such an admirable woman. There is no one like her, and never will be. A well-bred woman of class and wit.
Amanda
Just this year, I watched one of the Thin Man movies and thought it was one of the funniest movies I had ever seen. I've since, watched all six movies and loved all of them. One of the reasons why I wanted to read this book was, to see how Myrna Loy and William Powell got along while filming and how close they were while not working together. I was so glad to read, that they were good friends on and off the sets. I think I would have been very disappointed if they had not been close, they had su ...more
Michelle
May 12, 2010 Michelle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Much more substance than most Hollywood actress memoirs with glimpses of startling wit, warmth and depth. Gold standard in every way.
Nancy L.
Rereading for pleasure.

One of my favorite Hollywood autobiographies - I heart Myrna Loy and her book is a great read.
Colleen
Apr 17, 2011 Colleen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: old-movies
A massive autobiography, one that is hard to find, and definitely worth a read when you do get your hands on it.
Sally
What a wonderful woman Myrna Loy was. This book is a fabulous read: one of THE best autobiographies around.
Allison
Nov 12, 2010 Allison rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wonderfully written book on the life of an interesting actress and woman.
Dana
May 25, 2016 Dana rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I just loved this autobiography of Myrna Loy, known as Hollywood's only good girl! For all of Myrna Loy's fame, my favorite picture with her is still Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House. After reading her book, I know now why. Myrna Loy absolutely mastered the act of droll comedy and her standout roles were those of a sarcastic wife and mother. She is probably best known as being the female counterpart to William Powell in The Thin Man films, where her comedic talents shined as the wife part to ...more
Mark
Jun 06, 2012 Mark rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biography
I remember my first viewing of a movie with Myrna Loy. I watched the movie "The Thin man" due to the actress Maureen O'Sullivan, Tarzan's most sexy Jane ever. I was totally in awe of Myrna Loy and have been since.
It took me some time to find a affordable copy of this autobiography and now that I have I find it hard to lay it down.

A very well written "autobiography" about the live of a certain Myrna Williams known to the world as Myrna Loy.
The lady in question had a long and fruitfull life and
Matthew
Feb 09, 2009 Matthew rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone
Joe
Jul 10, 2016 Joe rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good stories from Hollywood's Golden Age. Also fascinating to learn about her later career, fighting for progressive causes in Washington. Man...she really didn't like Christina Crawford!
Dawn
Apr 06, 2014 Dawn rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Overall I ejoyed the book. Toward the end I found it difficult to follow her story.
Winter Sophia Rose
An Amazing Lady, A Rare Gem, Rich With Details!
Lesley
Jan 17, 2012 Lesley rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: autobiography
Wonderfully written book on the life of an interesting actress and woman.
Spinster
Feb 13, 2013 Spinster rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Spinster by: good reads browzing
Shelves: biography
I could have done without the politics, but it was interesting to see how she found another passion to sustain her after her acting career had slowed down.
Nicole
May 04, 2013 Nicole rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of my most favorite reads. It was so well written and engaging. Was so hard to put it down and ended up reading it in about three days.
Denise
Nov 14, 2014 Denise rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What an amazing lady!! Would have loved to been a friend of hers . A real case of beauty, brains, and passion. Inspiring lady.
Arsenio Peraza
Apr 09, 2013 Arsenio Peraza rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A well written book about the life of the "Queen of Hollywood". She had quite the life after Hollywood too.
Liz
Mar 30, 2009 Liz marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Get from the library - you are on page 241.
Cynthia
Sep 12, 2008 Cynthia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A favorite actress of mine.
Babalola Olusola
Babalola Olusola rated it it was amazing
Jul 28, 2016
Nicoletta
Nicoletta marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2016
Luis
Luis marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2016
MR C J PALMER
MR C J PALMER marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2016
Sally Brewster-Magee
Sally Brewster-Magee rated it really liked it
Jul 21, 2016