Start by marking “Alien Secrets” as Want to Read:

3.49 of 5 stars 3.49  ·  rating details  ·  514 ratings  ·  39 reviews
Puck, expelled from yet another boarding school, is on her way back to her parents, who are doing alien research on Shoon.She's worried because she hasn't seen them in years and now she's in trouble.

On board The Cat's Cradle, Puck befriends Hush, a native Shoowa, who is also returning to his home in shame.He was entrusted with a symbol of freedom for his people, and now th
Published August 1st 1993 by Delacorte Books for Young Readers (first published 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Alien Secrets, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Alien Secrets

Kristina Jo
So this was probably one of my first sci-fi books, which is perhaps why I still like it. I was ready to be too old for it and add it to the sale box, but find that maybe I still like it enough to keep. I blame this on having read and enjoyed it as a kid. We always like things better when we enjoyed them as children first.

One thing that frustrates me, though, is that I never had a moment like Puck, where I realized that Job X was the coolest job ever and that's what I want to be when I grow up, n
Carolyn Jeannette
This book was one of my very first brushes with science fiction. I discovered it when I was in middle school and I asked the librarian to point me to something new. I found myself sucked in almost immediately by the choice of the name Puck for the main character, based on the character from William Shakespeare's Midsummer's night dream.

The story itself has equal parts mystery, adventure, and silly pranks that delighted me as a young girl. Especially since the protagonist was a young girl, who w
Shin Machine
i bought this book last March and have stopped reading it after a few chapters...
i don't know. i found it dull and unexciting.
Joeyk
Have you ever thought about aliens? How about riding on a space ship through hyperspace? Well probably not, but if you have then you should read the book Alien Secrets by Annette Curtis Klause. It is a good book.
It all started out with a girl named Puck who was traveling to the planet Aurora to see her parents. She is feeling discomfort the whole ride because she thinks an alien is sabotaging the ship. Nobody knows what is going on, but Puck is determined to find out. From mysterious figures in
M—
I must have tried starting this four or five times, and I never got beyond Chapter Two. I couldn't invest in the shallow protagonist characters. Any effort I spent on exploring the world was stillborn by the silly alien names. I might possibly have enjoyed it if I'd found it when I was twelve, but as an adult this book was practically unreadable. There was nothing to hook me, nothing to care about. Klause, in other books, has used to great effect creatures like vampires or werewolves to embellis ...more
Natalia
Knowing what the future would look like would probably be surprising to us all, but to go into the future with aliens would be freaky and I suppose, unnatural. Annette Curtis Klause in her book Alien Secrets takes us on a journey in the future with Puck who just got kicked out of boarding school on Earth and is being send to her parents. This science fiction story is told in third person. The setting is taking place in the space on the spaceship. Traveling back to her planet Puck becomes friends ...more
Alec Joseph
by: Annette Curtis Kluase

Let me start off by saying I didnt really like this book. I thought it was awfully childish. Puck has been expelled from boarding school on Earth, so she's being sent back to her parents on planet Aurora. He's on the same space liner as a Shoowa alien named Hush. Since Puck is the only other teenager on the ship. He was bringing home the Soo, a sacred artifact that symbolizes freedom. The first night on the ship it was stolen from his room. He feels like he
Tyler

My first two experiences with Annette's books were Silver Kiss and Blood and Chocolate, which I loved dearly, but this one, not so much. I enjoyed the idea of the story, but there were parts were I was confused, and I felt that something had been left out on accident. Near the end, there was a part where a character seemed to appear out of thin air, and I reread the page a couple of times, but there was no mention of the persons entrance when they were suppose to be in another room. Not a big de
Liana Brooks
I loved this book as a child. Strong female lead (a child obviously), a ship steered by the smell of birthday cake, Shakespeare references, and it is all essentially a story of friendship and helping a stranger in need.
Elsi
This was a fun and quick read. (Started it yesterday and finished this morning.) The protagonist is Puck, a thirteen-year-old girl who has been expelled from her boarding school on Earth and must travel to the planet Aurora where her parents -- the Goodfellows -- are working as xenobiologists. Aboard the tramp freighter she is traveling on, Puck meets Hush, a young Shoowa (natives of Aurora which they call Shoon), who has been traveling to his home planet bearing a treasured artifact. Unfortunat ...more
Samary Morales
Alien Secrets is a thrilling science fiction adventure book for kids. The book is about a Puck, a teenaged girl, who takes a haunted spaceship to Aurora. Onboard Hush, a double-jointed alien with a conehead, loses his prize possesion, the Soo. The Soo is a shimmering crystal-like object. Puck and Hush, who are now friends, have some very strange encounters, including coming across one of Hush's enimies, on their journy to find the Soo. The Grakk, Hush's enemy, threatened to kill anyone who tried ...more
Joseph
I've read this book quite a long time ago for a school book report. I did not like this book. At all.

Let me just say, the whole story is just really boring and unexciting. This wasn't entertaining at all. I would have put this book down after reading the first chapter, but I had to go through the whole damn thing because I had to read this trash for school. That was just pure torture for me.

I would not recommend this book to anyone, except my worst enemy. Do not read this book! I'm warning you!
Caitlin
If I went back and read this I'd probably find it predictable and cheesy, but as a kid it captivated me. Best of all was Puck, the main character, who found friendship with an alien who wasn't just pointy ears or green skin but REALLY different, and she didn't let the prejudices of adults stop her from making her own judgments. Any story with a strong, young hero is great to see. Kids need to see other kids taking action and being a force for change.
Maya
I loved the dynamic between Puck and Hush.
Snow Wolf
Fun and gripping book, even though it was written for kids. I definitely got caught up in the characters, and kept wishing I could render to paper the images I saw in the descriptive environments. I especially liked the interactions between Puck (the main character) and Hush (the alien she befriends). The cats that inhabit the ship (which will be explained shortly into the book) are amusing secondary characters too.
Gen
I read this book in 8th grade and I think it's perhaps the first time I'd ever read a science fiction novel (I've watched it on tv and in movies, don't kid yourself). I really loved the character Puck. She's funny and the story really interested me. There's even ghosts tossed into this sci-fi book. Puck was a great character in the series and I loved this read. It was simply a good read to my 13 year old self!
Sarah Tilatitsky
This book is great, really. It got me on my nerves, and although I wasn't hanging on every single word, I was thrilled by the motion picture in my mind. Puck going though the vents, climbing in space, it's kinda cool, and although space travel might be possible one day, well, it's not here yet, so, I really wish that I can go on an adventure like what Puck did. Ending was pretty nice, though.
Bee
Sep 11, 2010 Bee rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone
Recommended to Bee by: Library pick
I have probably read this book 6 or 7 times. Its short and fast-paced and well put together. I first read it when I was about 10 and still pick it up every once in a while on a rainy day. It has just the right balance of aliens, futuristic technology and intergalactic war.
Becca Wren
Although I love her vampire and werewolf books, I didn't care for this one. It was a major disappointment. I know her books are fantasy, however, there was too much unrealistic ideas and not enough character development.
Katie Roseveare
Nice adventure for young ladies. Fun to have in the library. Great introduction to science fiction. Could d an activity on perspective - retell a part from the alien's perspective, or the parents' perspective.
Emerian Rich
Annette is an excellent writer. I've read all over her books except this one. I'm not much of a SciFi fan, but so far... she can get me into anything. Heck-- I read a book about circus freaks she wrote and I hate books about the circus!
Kimberly
I'm pretty sure I voted for this one in 95/96. I remember my elementary school librarian didn't think it should be a contender because she didn't like science fiction and stories about aliens.
Noah
This book is very interesting. It is about scientists who go out in the ocean to find a giant squid. But, they run in to trouble. Another rival scientist goes and tries to ruin everything.
Kirsten
This was okay - kind of a mess in parts. Some parts were totally obvious, some didn't make any sense at all. There were a few good bits though. Overall, just okay.
Lani Ayers
Someone told me that this was the best book out of her 3 books but I was not all that impressed. I still think that blood and chocolate is my fav.
Ashley
An interesting book, but I didn't like it nearly as much as her other books. It was a good story, but more cute fiction than anything else really...
Leanne

A good book if you're interested in aliens, the unknown or unexplained. A couple poignant well crafted moments.
Ursula
Not her best, but an intriguing take on inter-species relationships and world saving served with a healthy helping of teen angst
Mely
SF adventure about alien contact, fun but slight; aimed at a slightly younger audience than her later books.
Jodi
Reminded me of some of Timothy Zahn's books in that it is a space mystery, but written for younger readers.
  • The Conjurer Princess
  • Of Two Minds (Minds, #1)
  • The White Fox Chronicles
  • Stonewords: A Ghost Story
  • Being of Two Minds
  • Earthseed
  • Switching Well
  • Tom Swift and His Flying Lab  (Tom Swift Jr, #1)
  • Battlestar Galactica 3: The Tombs of Kobol (Battlestar Galactica, #3)
  • I Was A Sixth Grade Alien (Sixth Grade Alien, #1)
  • Aliens for Breakfast
  • The Doom Machine
  • The One-Armed Queen (Great Alta, #3)
  • Children of Morrow
  • Moon-Flash (Kyreol Duology, #1)
  • Whales on Stilts (Pals in Peril, #1)
  • Gem X
  • Fire Arrow (The Songs of Eirren, #2)
Annette Curtis Klause broke new ground in young adult literature with The Silver Kiss, a book that is at once "sexy, scaring, and moving," according to Roger Sutton writing in the Bulletin of the Center for Children's Books. A vampire love story, Klause's first novel is a darkly seductive thriller with heart and message.

Born in Bristol, England, in 1953, Klause became fascinated with grisly thing
More about Annette Curtis Klause...
Blood and Chocolate The Silver Kiss Freaks: Alive, on the Inside! Welcome to Bordertown (Borderland, #5) The Restless Dead: Ten Original Stories of the Supernatural