Start by marking “Christ, Our Righteousness: Paul's Theology of Justification” as Want to Read:
Christ, Our Righteousness: Paul's Theology of Justification

Christ, Our Righteousness: Paul's Theology of Justification (New Studies in Biblical Theology #9)

In this New Studies in Biblical Theology volume, Mark Seifrid offers a comprehensive analysis of Paul's understanding of justification, in the light of important themes including the righteousness of God, the Old Testament law, faith, and the destiny of Israel. A detailed examination of justification in the letter to the Romans is followed by a survey of the entire Pauline ...more
Published April 26th 2001 by IVP Academic (first published March 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Christ, Our Righteousness, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Christ, Our Righteousness

Jacob Young
Oct 22, 2015 Jacob Young rated it really liked it
The issue of justification is at the heart of the Christian message. What we understand about the Bible's teaching on justification directs how we not only understand our relationship before God, but how we appeal to and invite others into this relationship with God through Christ. Seifrid takes us to Scripture and walks us through Paul's conversion and his primary texts about justification, especially Romans. His teaching is clear and helpful. He engages the modern debates sufficiently to help ...more
Mark
Dec 23, 2010 Mark rated it liked it
Seifrid's theology of justification in Paul is helpful on many fronts. His careful exegesis and thoughtful analysis of the pertinent texts is thorough and true to the text. It is also helpful in highlighting some of the problems with the New Perspective on Paul. One issue I have with this book, however, is that Seifrid downplays the issue of imputation of Christ's righteousness. While he does not deny the notion of imputation, he says it is incomplete and prefers to simply speak of justification ...more
Chuck Bonadies
Jan 20, 2011 Chuck Bonadies rated it liked it
In this book Seifrid does a good job challenging the New Perspective(s) on Paul. My one concern is how he handles the doctrine of imputation. Though I am fairly certain that Seifrid does not seek to deny the doctrine (just look at the title), he could, at times, be a bit clearer. Nevertheless, this is a good read for those who are interested in the topic of Righteousness.

CB
Jacob McGill
Sep 18, 2011 Jacob McGill rated it it was ok
My problem with Seifrid is that he assumes that his view is correct and doesn't consider alternatives. Premise - I'm right - this is the only possible/correct reading - I'm right - complain about how everyone is wrong.
Nathaniel Martin
Nov 03, 2013 Nathaniel Martin rated it really liked it
Seifrid is difficult to understand at times, but this is the most helpful book I have read on the subject. It's a must for anyone interested in the debate on justification.
Joshua Hutchens
Joshua Hutchens rated it liked it
May 01, 2013
Alan Alexandrino
Alan Alexandrino rated it really liked it
Sep 22, 2015
Evan Knies
Evan Knies rated it really liked it
Nov 03, 2013
Jennifer rated it really liked it
Nov 26, 2014
Mark Mcculley
Mark Mcculley rated it liked it
Mar 14, 2014
Chase Sears
Chase Sears rated it really liked it
May 19, 2014
Josh
Josh rated it liked it
Jul 14, 2015
Matt
Matt rated it really liked it
Dec 26, 2013
Charles R. Biggs
Charles R. Biggs rated it it was amazing
Dec 11, 2013
Shane
Shane rated it really liked it
Feb 21, 2012
Josiah
Josiah rated it liked it
May 16, 2010
Joel Allen
Joel Allen rated it it was ok
May 20, 2016
Joey
Joey rated it really liked it
Feb 09, 2016
Christien Razafimbahiny
Christien Razafimbahiny rated it really liked it
Oct 22, 2016
Zach Albanese
Zach Albanese rated it liked it
Jun 21, 2016
Jeremy King
Jeremy King rated it really liked it
May 15, 2013
Matthew Grotheer
Matthew Grotheer rated it really liked it
Dec 07, 2013
Matt
Matt rated it it was amazing
Dec 23, 2014
Brian
Brian rated it really liked it
Nov 18, 2013
Jeff Roe
Jeff Roe rated it it was amazing
May 24, 2013
Kory Capps
Kory Capps rated it it was amazing
Nov 03, 2012
Arvin Gouw
Arvin Gouw rated it it was amazing
Dec 09, 2015
Nate Claiborne
Nate Claiborne rated it liked it
Jun 09, 2012
Jon Scruggs
Jon Scruggs rated it it was amazing
Jan 16, 2016
Daniel Wells
Daniel Wells rated it it was amazing
Sep 28, 2012

New Studies in Biblical Theology (1 - 10 of 39 books)
  • Possessed by God: A New Testament Theology of Sanctification and Holiness
  • God's Unfaithful Wife: A Biblical Theology of Spiritual Adultery
  • Jesus and the Logic of History
  • Hear, My Son: Teaching & Learning in Proverbs 1-9
  • Original Sin: A Biblical Theology of the Hebrew Bible
  • Now Choose Life: Theology and Ethics in Deuteronomy
  • Neither Poverty Nor Riches: Illuminating the Riddle
  • Slave of Christ: A New Testament Metaphor for Total Devotion to Christ (New Studies in Biblical Theology)
  • Five Festal Garments: Christian Reflections on the Song of Songs, Ruth, Lamentations, Ecclesiastes and Esther
  • Salvation to the Ends of the Earth: A Biblical Theology of Mission (New Studies in Biblical Theology (InterVarsity Press), #11)

“Once, for Paul, as for his contemporaries, Israel’s election
and the demand of the law stood side by side in unresolved tension. Now he found their resolution, not in some synthesis or new idea, but in an event: the incarnation, crucifixion and resurrection of the Son of God. In Christ the demand of the law and the fulfillment of promise meet.”
1 likes
“The real cause for Paul’s rejection of the ‘works of the law’ lies
beyond both self-understanding and ethics. As we shall see, faith for Paul is the correlate to Christ’s cross and resurrection. It is obedience to the promise of God fulfilled in that event (see e.g. Rom. 4:13–25). One is justified not because of a mere inward disposition, but because of Christ in whom God has atoned for sin and effected a new creation.”
1 likes