Start by marking “The Alewife: Curse of Obsession (The Alewife, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Alewife: Curse of Obsession (The Alewife, #1)

The Alewife: Curse of Obsession (The Alewife #1)

Some mysteries are best left dead...

In the chill, choppy waters of Newport Cove, Doug Sandow watched helplessly as his best friend slipped beyond the boundary of breath and death, sinking into a restless mausoleum, never to be seen again. A dozen years later, Doug returns to Maine, not to mark the passing of his friend--long since faded from thought--but to partake of a ro
Paperback, Second, revised and expanded, 294 pages
Published January 26th 2016 by Prospective Press (first published June 2nd 2014)

To ask other readers questions about The Alewife, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Alewife

Kimberly
Aug 01, 2014 Kimberly rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads

I won this book in a GoodReads giveaway.

The beginning started out strong, until I "figured out" part of it, and then things got a bit repetitive for my tastes. There was a strong Lovecraftian undertone to the last half, which I DID enjoy. However, there were so many new characters and relationships that it was hard at times to remember who was who--aside from the main characters.

The ending was not exactly what I was expecting. Interesting, but I felt it left too many open ended question
Angela
Dec 16, 2014 Angela rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
First of all, do not let the cover deceive you. If the image was any more detailed, it would spoil the story. I started reading this book late in the evening. Big mistake. I was up until 3am, because I had to finish it. HAD TO. Aren’t those the best kind of reads?

So everything starts off simple enough. Middle-aged couple, heading off on a cozy little getaway to relax and try to make a baby. Doug and Jillian are a pretty typical couple. Doug is full of cheesy puns (which I love), and Jillian is a
Maryjo
I won this book in a Goodreads giveaway.

This book is brilliant! The layers of mystery and secrets in this book are mind-boggling. It kept me completely occupied for a full day while I kept racing through all the twists and turns to find out what happens. At it's conclusion, I was left wanting to know more but will obviously have to wait for the sequel. It's not typically the type of book I would read, but I'm glad I did. I would almost say that it is a horror novel, but I don't have much under m
Jessica Poole
I was given a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

The book synopsis pulled me in because I enjoy suspense and unexpected twists and turns. Well, that part did not disappoint! I very much enjoyed the first half of the book because it was a page-turner, always leaving me wanting more while hinting at many secrets yet to be revealed. I had many different ideas in my head about what these underlying secrets were, but I did not even come close to guessing correctly!

To the next hal
Rita
Aug 08, 2014 Rita rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reader
From the description, I expected a sort of Gothic romance. It started out that way, but morphed into a Doctor Who episode. That being said, I love Doctor Who, so enjoyed the story after I got into it. It was a quick read and lots of fun. The ending left the book open to a sequel.
Felicia
Jan 01, 2016 Felicia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5-4.

Won in Goodreads giveaway.

This book was very strange. It definitely isn't the genre I would normally read, but it was nice reading something out of my "norm". It kept my interest throughout, and I easily read right through it.
Sonia
Jan 31, 2015 Sonia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was given this book as part of a review. This book started out so well! It was interesting and very suspenseful.unfortunately it dissolved into a scifi and not really a good one at that.
Rusty Nugent
Rusty Nugent rated it really liked it
Aug 29, 2014
Crystal Joyce
Crystal Joyce rated it it was amazing
May 25, 2016
Sherry
Good like books like this.
Jana
Jana rated it it was ok
Apr 10, 2015
Jenn
Jenn rated it liked it
Oct 09, 2014
Jennifer Ferguson
Jennifer Ferguson rated it really liked it
Jan 02, 2016
Jason Graves
May 10, 2014 Jason Graves added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: i-wrote-it
Michelle Quintana
Michelle Quintana marked it as to-read
Frederick Rotzien
Frederick Rotzien marked it as to-read
SARIT
SARIT marked it as to-read
Sarah Sternby
Sarah Sternby marked it as to-read
Katie Harder-schauer
Katie Harder-schauer marked it as to-read
Donna Schubert
Donna Schubert marked it as to-read
May 15, 2014
Sarah marked it as to-read
Janice
Janice marked it as to-read
Kaite
Kaite marked it as to-read
Brittany
Brittany marked it as to-read
J
J marked it as to-read
Merrill
Merrill marked it as to-read
Linda
Linda marked it as to-read
Vykki
Vykki marked it as to-read
Myka-lauren
Myka-lauren marked it as to-read
Sue
Sue marked it as to-read
Sue
Sue marked it as to-read
Pamela
Pamela marked it as to-read
Amanda Keathley
Amanda Keathley marked it as to-read
May 16, 2014
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Pam
Pam marked it as to-read
Dana
Dana marked it as to-read
Teressa
Teressa marked it as to-read
Ursula
Ursula marked it as to-read
Kim
Kim marked it as to-read
Diana Senn
Diana Senn marked it as to-read
Rachella Baker
Rachella Baker marked it as to-read
Callie
Callie marked it as to-read
Heather Schwandner
Heather Schwandner marked it as to-read
May 17, 2014
Horror Aficionados : The Alewife: Curse of Obsession 1 15 Aug 22, 2014 10:12AM
Goodreads Librari...: Why am I unable to edit the series information? 3 29 Aug 04, 2014 03:30PM
  • The Anomaly
  • Sparks
  • Tyfoon's Tale: The True Story Of A Seafaring Cat
  • Graced Filled Marriage: The Missing Piece, The Place to Start
  • Amid the Ashes and the Dust
  • The Sun, the Moon, the Stars and Maya: A Collection of Little Sayings about Enormous Things.
  • Tearstone
  • The Lydecker Mysteries
  • Blood and Roses
  • Nick and Tesla's Super-Cyborg Gadget Glove: A Mystery with a Blinking, Beeping, Voice-Recording Gadget Glove You Can Build Yourself
  • Crossings (The Harry Reese Mysteries, #2)
  • A Search for Purple Cows
  • Cats at Sea (Anton and Cecil #1)
  • Dark Discoveries - Issue #24
  • Double Dare
  • The Muse Unlocked
  • Kevin and the Triple Creature Feature (Kevin's Books #3)
  • Everyone Dies Alone
Jason T. Graves is an author, editor, and illustrator, who relishes everything about books. He holds an advanced degree in genetic mysteries and has an extensive history of writing, drawing, mad science, and teaching—both high school and college. With a penchant for dark beers, black coffee, and dry, red wines, you can find him, most days, spinning stories of similar color and complexity.
More about Jason T. Graves...