Start by marking “The Creature Features Movie Guide, Or, an A to Z Encyclopedia to the Cinema of the Fantastic, Or, is There a Mad Doctor in the House?” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
The Creature Features ...

John Stanley

Published July 1st 1984 by Warner Books (NY) (first published 1981)

Be the first to ask a question about The Creature Features Movie Guide, Or, an A to Z Encyclopedia to the Cinema of the Fantastic, Or, is There a Mad Doctor in the House?

Michael
Mar 03, 2013 Michael rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: horror fans, film geeks, psychotronics fans
Recommended to Michael by: Seth Klein
I believe that this was the first proper film guide I ever owned. Although I bought it a year or so after I got The Great Book Of Movie Monsters, that book is more of guide to movie monsters, while this one is an encyclopedia of films, with reviews of each.

When I try to remember now what my pre-pubescent self thought of this book, certain things come to mind. One is definitely the picture of Raquel Welch from "One Million Years, BC" in her animal-skin bikini. Also the slightly confusing fact th
Cory
Aug 10, 2009 Cory rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of classic horror and scifi films
I purchased this when it first came out in the giftshop of the Winchester Mystery House, and it changed my life LOL I vowed that I would see every movie listed in this book, and so far I've done pretty good over the last 30 years. 2 more came out in this series and are highly reccomended for fans of the genre, however in the age of the internet and such sites as Wikipedia and IMDB, this kind of reference book is almost obsolete.
Wayne Davidson
Jan 22, 2016 Wayne Davidson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, movies
This gets my 5 star rating as it is one of the best movie guides available. I dig Stanley's irreverent, amusing and personal style which tells it like it is without being nasty or sardonic. He understands the psychotronic genre of film, will tell you when something is great, also when it's not great but fun. He also knows what trash is. The reviews are pithy and succinct but loaded with personality. A book I return to contstantly and an essential in my film review book collection.
Shawn
Nov 09, 2010 Shawn rated it really liked it
A light, breezy movie reference guide jam-packed and brimming with pithy write-ups of many a forgotten film. For light night T.V. denizens, obsessive compulsives and psychotronic film freaks!
Cody
Cody rated it it was amazing
Oct 14, 2012
Jory
Jory rated it it was amazing
Nov 06, 2016
Randy Robbins
Randy Robbins rated it really liked it
Dec 15, 2014
Robert A.
Robert A. rated it really liked it
Mar 01, 2015
Debbie
Debbie added it
Aug 18, 2010
Robert
Robert added it
Feb 20, 2012
Amanda Gronemeyer
Amanda Gronemeyer marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2013
Terri Keel
Terri Keel marked it as to-read
Jan 11, 2016
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 23, 2016

John Stanley (b. 1940)
More about John Stanley...