Start by marking “The Jewish-Japanese Sex and Cook Book and How to Raise Wolves” as Want to Read:
The Jewish-Japanese Sex and Cook Book and How to Raise Wolves

The Jewish-Japanese Sex and Cook Book and How to Raise Wolves

Published December 31st 1972 by G. P. Putnam's Sons (first published 1972)

Abigael ~A Book A Day, Keeps Reality Away~
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Catie Garland Yeah so you don't read books for free on here but it's an AMAZING place to find new books/recommendations and make 'shelves' of to reads and have…moreYeah so you don't read books for free on here but it's an AMAZING place to find new books/recommendations and make 'shelves' of to reads and have reads and currently reading and organize therein.
So it's awesome to keep track and search for new books. But no you don't read books themselves on here. Try 'freebestnovels' or other sites :) you could google the book name you want to read with 'free online" or 'pdf' after the name and peruse the sites that come up. (less)

Leah Nicolich-henkin
Feb 24, 2013 Leah Nicolich-henkin rated it it was ok
Witty and intriguing title: A+
Living up to title: C-

There is a lot of raising wolves. There is almost no Jewish-Japanese Sex and Cooking. (There is one Jew in a couple of chapters, and about a page of Japanese cooking. The only actual sex is between wolves.) Basically the book is a somewhat humorous but mostly just strange account of raising a family of wolves in suburban Connecticut. This part is reasonably interesting, but it is interspersed with occasional sexist, racist, or homophobic commen
Jan Heemskerk
Oct 23, 2013 Jan Heemskerk marked it as wishlist
On my wishlist if only because of the brilliant title...
Betty
Oct 10, 2011 Betty rated it it was amazing
I read a number of Jack Douglas' books when they came out in the 70's. This book is the first book that ever made me laugh out loud and cry tears of sadness. I recently reread one of his books and was appalled at how racist, ageist, sizeist, sexist, and any other -ist you can think of, the books are. Is it just that we've become more sensitive to these kinds of remarks and characterizations? Or was his original intent not hurtful or hateful but just a comedian's style of poking fun at all of us ...more
Kienie
Aug 16, 2010 Kienie rated it it was ok
I have to give it 2 stars on principle, not because I disliked reading it. The characters are unlikable, the "drunk" jokes and "them people be crazy" jokes are overused and tiring. The story itself is just stupid. I cannot endorse reading this book, not recommend it to anyone. Having said all that, it was still sort of entertaining, and I don't hate it.
Cherish
How does this exist?!
Cheryl
Feb 17, 2015 Cheryl rated it really liked it
While I picked this book up primarily because I couldn't believe a book with this title was ever published, it turned out to be an amusing and ultimately heartwarming memoir about someone I didn't previously know existed.

Jack Douglas was a comedy writer; a long-time collaborator of Jack Paar, his career spanned both radio and television comedy. Memoirs came toward the end of his career, as they should. Douglas spent the time when he wasn't writing raising animals including various wolves.

The t
Daniel
Jan 05, 2015 Daniel rated it it was amazing
This was a great book. Funny and moving (I want a wolf, now). Some parts and language is definitely not very PC, but it was a different time, and while I'm not saying it was right or wrong, it in no way detracted from the tale being told. Read this book, you won't be disappointed.
Kyleen Valleaux
Mar 26, 2014 Kyleen Valleaux rated it liked it
Like everyone else, I wanted to read this book for the title (which has the most about raising wolves and little to do with sex or cooking).

This isn't the best book ever written, but I felt like it was written with a bit of honesty. The author isn't perfect and he doesn't dress himself up to be. I think a lot of the complaints about racism and sexism had more to do with the time than the writer himself. He was friends with black people and mexicans, but related how the others spoke about them in
Andrew
Sep 27, 2010 Andrew rated it did not like it
I found a copy of this book in the hospital. Someone may have felt charitable donating this book, but as bad as this book is their charity means as much as sharing the flu.

First, it's racist crap. Haha jokes at bad stereotypes. Second, the plot is threadbare crap. But most of all there's the awful humor. All the ribald insults and wit scorn no one more than the reader.

If you're stuck in a hospital with nothing but this book, don't bother. You'll find a better story reading your own palm.
Nic
Jan 12, 2014 Nic marked it as to-read
Added to my shelves for the title alone!
Grape
Jan 22, 2016 Grape rated it really liked it
This is the kind of passage you will find in this old school gem:

"Pilgrims, or Puritans (you have a choice in what you want to call them), in order to escape persecution in England had come here to try a little of it themselves... later on, when they had more leisure, they started to believe in witches - which led to some great fun for the Pilgrims and the Puritans."

He basically makes fun of everyone, even himself. He does use words of the time, which weren't as PC as our culture has become used
John
Mar 17, 2014 John rated it liked it
I suspect that The Jewish-Japanese Sex & Cook Book and How to Raise Wolves was probably very funny when it came out in 1972. It's well written, that's obvious, but this is a sense of humor that I don't think has aged very well. It's worth a read just to say you've read it. It's worth a read for the descriptions of wolves and Mr. Douglas' thoughts on nature and ecological issues.

It's difficult for me to decide whether or not this book is any good. Part of the problem is that I haven't read an
wizard chan
i find this at the library and i want to see if my dong will expand so thta i can feed it to my wolves using traditional japanese jewish cooking after i meet with my many wives because i am mormon
Isagani Oloya
This is on my wish list not because of the title but because of the reviews I've read.
Kate
Jan 12, 2017 Kate rated it it was ok
Shelves: did-not-finish
I had higher hopes for this book. I honestly wanted to read the whole thing but I just couldn't. THe title is amazing, the book itself not so much.
Jenny Lowe
Sep 12, 2016 Jenny Lowe rated it liked it
It's not a how to guild, it's s novel....and I guess I say it was cute.
Julie
Ok, the title suckered me in, along with the fact that he was writing about raising wolves. This book came out in the 1970s and I kept wondering if he'd even be allowed to do this today. There are a lot of deplorable people depicted in this book, and the drinking and racial-epithet-spewing reflect the social mores of the time. It just wasn't my bag.
KennyO
Oct 07, 2014 KennyO rated it liked it
Shelves: humor
It helps to read Jack Douglas' books in light of the decades they were written in. They're rife with silly humor punctuated with an occasional exposure of his deep love for his family. His humor isn't for everyone but it's G-rated, if a bit politically incorrect here in the twenty-first century.
Kaustav Nayak
Jun 02, 2016 Kaustav Nayak rated it liked it
Moderately amusing, though the title got me way too excited for what was a middling book at its best.
Charles
Jan 01, 2015 Charles rated it did not like it
Great title, but a misleading one. Is very much of its time, with the humour perhaps not sitting so well forty- something years later.

Still laughed at times.
Sara Best
Sara Best rated it it was amazing
Jan 30, 2014
Paul Hasbrouck
Paul Hasbrouck rated it liked it
Jul 01, 2015
Sal Ballesteros
Sal Ballesteros rated it liked it
Feb 04, 2014
Daniel
Daniel rated it it was ok
Oct 10, 2014
Anne Marie
Anne Marie rated it really liked it
Apr 29, 2012
Peggy
Jan 08, 2017 Peggy is currently reading it
I've had this on my shelf for a couple of years - bought it second hand from the public library. My niece mentioned the title and I thought I better get to it and read it. Not a compelling read but interesting - sort of along the lines of a Farley Mowat book. The author has a unique sense of humour and what is normal.
Edward Becerra
Edward Becerra rated it really liked it
Feb 03, 2016
Kris
Kris rated it liked it
Jun 25, 2016
Adrian
Adrian rated it liked it
Sep 28, 2016
Chris
Chris rated it it was ok
Mar 26, 2015
  • Oh Mexico! Love and Adventure in Mexico City
  • All My Patients are Under the Bed: Memoirs of a Cat Doctor
  • The Gift of the Deer
  • The Spotted Sphinx
  • Awkward Moments (Not Found in Your Average) Children's Bible - Volume #1: Illustrating the Bible Like You've Never Seen Before!
  • At Home in Japan: A Foreign Woman's Journey of Discovery