Start by marking “Homesick: A Memoir” as Want to Read:
Homesick: A Memoir

Homesick: A Memoir

This is a story about home . . .

At a time when much of America is yearning to recapture the spirit and feelings of a more innocent era, comes this exceptional new book from one of our most beloved actresses: a story of one woman's journey to reconnect with the landscape of her childhood.

Though best known today as the star of the television series Once & Again and Sis
Published October 15th 2002 by HarperEntertainment

To ask other readers questions about Homesick, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Homesick

Sep 10, 2011 Erin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When I was about halfway through HOMESICK I thought that it wasn't a great memoir....Ward covers most different areas of her life with about two-three pages, and I kept thinking "I want to hear MORE about Alabama, about her involvement with Chi Omega, about her celebrity relationships and why they failed" and I thought it wasn't a great book. Then I realized that the book isn't intended to be an all-encompassing memoir of Ward's life, but rather is a focused piece about her love affair with the ...more
Paige Greene
Apr 07, 2014 Paige Greene rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I thoroughly enjoyed this lovely book that was NOT a celebrity tell-all but simply a love letter to Ms. Ward's southern roots. Quick, soothing read.
Jun 24, 2012 Denise rated it really liked it
Shelves: memoires
I already liked Sela as an actress before I read her book, but now I like her even more for her honesty and willingness to reveal herself in this wonderful memoir. She bares her feelings and thoughts throughout these pages. She’s a kind and warm woman with a great sense of what falily means. She talks about her family ties, their strugles, achievements, and what being a member of the Ward family is like.

In this fast paced and competitive world not everyone stays close to their family and home o
Mar 05, 2013 Mike rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Sela Ward fans
Another celebrity autobiography which piqued my interest as I've seen Sela Ward act over the years.

The book talks mainly of her life down South and how she grew to love it for its traditions and family values and how she longed for it while in LA.

A good portion of the last part of the book talks of the time when her mother passed away...right after the tragedy of 9/11 so Sela takes the readers through her reactions and sadness after both major events in her life.

No this is not a tell-all book..
Admittedly, my interest in reading this book centered around my relations to Sela Ward, so I enjoyed learning more about her and her background. Particularly liked the stories about her family-members, growing up in Mississippi, and places there I have visited many times. I also found the general story of her transition from small-town MS to an LA actress and balancing the different parts of her personality reflected in each location to be of interest.
Jul 24, 2015 Angela rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Opening up the pages of this book I wasn't sure what I would discover about Sela Ward. I found it inspirational to experience her life through her eyes as she learned who she would become. She didn't set out to be famous or an actress. She only knew she wanted to be somebody and she ended up being that to so many people. It's not only fans of her television series but those people around her whom she is able to charm. In one part of her novel she says that a fan had trouble associating that she ...more
Oct 19, 2010 Sheena rated it liked it
I actually bought this on a disastrous trip to Mississippi several years ago. I loved all her stories about growing up in the south. She seems like a genuinely nice person and has tried to remain true to her roots. She makes getting into acting sound so simple and easy. As with all autobiographies I have a feeling that much was left unsaid or glossed over. Well worth reading if you love the South.
Apr 20, 2014 Cynthia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: not-owned
Ms. Ward's remembrances of growing up in Mississippi and the values taught to her by her family resonate with me. Her compassion for children lead her to open Hope Village for Children. This is a celebrity memoir worth reading if one wants to understand the culture of Mississippians and of the South.
Jul 12, 2008 Kristy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have always loved Sela Ward's acting & when I found out she had written her memoirs, I had to read this.

This is all about Sela's growing up in Mississippi. It details her love of the South & how she has passed that love onto her children. She does delve into her working years in Hollywood, as well.
I was a HUUUUGE fan of Sisters and, of course, Sela Ward's "Teddy" was the breakout character. This memoir fill in what happened before she moved out of her beloved Meridian MS and lost her accent, and after her prime time series days were over.

How a baby boomer can talk about her "idyllic" childhood in Mississippi during Jim Crow and say very little about race (save for a few paragraphs) was beyond shocking to me. She went to college at Bama and had the best time ever on Sorority Row (which was
Cyndee Thomas
Sela Ward is happy with her Southern roots. Her memoir spans more than just the growing up years. If you like her work as an actress on screen;chances are you will enjoy this book.I liked her College years and the fact that she goes home to connect with her homeland.
Cyndee Thomas
She had a book siging in Memphis so the whole fam has a copy - was just okay - although eveyone thought she was beautiful and down-to-earth in person (hotel staff commented that it was nice for once to have a famous guest that was very low-maintenance)
Aug 24, 2009 Paige rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting reflections on what the South means to one who grew up there and moved away. You still get the idea Sela is looking for something more foundational though much of what she says rings true to Southern ears.
Jul 13, 2013 Twila rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: memoir
A bit hard to follow at times, but I loved the cadence and sense of this book. Sela is an actor in some of my favorite TV shows over the years, and her voice was ringing in my ears as I read it. Lovely sentiments here.
Aug 12, 2009 Art rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sela Ward's memoir brought back a lot of Southern childhood memories for me. A real pleasure to read.
Jun 12, 2016 Peggy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A memoir by one of my favorite actors. It was interesting to read about her life and how she ended up in Hollywood. Like many people, she has to choose between her childhood home and family and her adult life and work. Luckily, she can do it more easily than most as money doesn't hold her back. I love and admire her character and morals.
Jewel H. Eckstrom
Jul 16, 2016 Jewel H. Eckstrom rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Southern Girls

I have always admired Sela Ward for her beauty., work as an actress and the fact that she is a Chi Omega. I love that she has the southern woman charm and dignity.
Anne Brookover
May 12, 2016 Anne Brookover rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Took me down memory lane, with a gentle Southern manner. What a beautiful family with deep ties and so much love.
Madeline Barthelme
Missing Her Southern Roots

I have been a fan of Sela Ward since her SISTERS days.

I found this biography to be very sketchy; a bit difficult to follow in some places.

The best part for me was her stories of her family and growing up down South. The last section of her story finally connected and I was happy I continued reading it to the end.
Jan 29, 2016 Julie rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
More philosophical than memoir.
Virginia Branch
Apr 27, 2015 Virginia Branch rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book really resonated with me as our childhood and upbringing are very similar. As a fellow homesick Mississippian, she put into words what I feel about my hometown. I had the opportunity to meet her this past winter at a social event in the delta but I didn't want to bother her so the opportunity was lost. I'm sure she wouldn't have minded - oh well...
Joey Sharpe
Surprisingly poetic memoir

Sela Ward's memoir is beautifully written and very moving. Her truthful look at her family and her insights on what life has taught her are eloquent. If you grew up in the south or love southern writers, you'll love this lyrical remembrance.
May 14, 2008 Pammie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not a page-turner but mildly interesting. The actress writes about her childhood in Meridian, Mississippi. Her feelings of displacement as a southerner in LA led her to build a house near Meridian so her children could share some of the experiences she cherishes about her own childhood.
Annie Booker
Apr 23, 2016 Annie Booker rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Reading this book was like being in Mississippi for real. Sela Ward is as good a storyteller as she is an actress.
Cindy Elmore
Jun 16, 2016 Cindy Elmore rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was excellent!! Being a Southern native, Carolinas and Georgia, I felt like I was reading about my life at times. The book offers nostalgia, laughter, tears and encouragement. I want all my New England friends to read this to "get " where I'm coming from.
Jul 11, 2013 Kathryn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle, 2013-books
This was a great book I thought, Sela Ward didn't do a ton of name dropping like some other famous people do. Some of those seem to become a "who can name the most famous people they have met"
Mar 27, 2008 Jennifer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My sister gave me an autographed copy of this book for Christmas, and I wasn't excited since autobiographies don't interest me much . . . but I ended up loving it.
I scored this book from a bargain bin. :) It was surprisingly not at all bad, and I liked reading about her upbringing in the deep south (Mississippi).
Aug 15, 2008 Heidi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great read so far! Listening to it in my car. It's already making me nostalgic for the south, even though I'm not southern.
Apr 04, 2008 Brooke rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This is an ok book. Had some good stories and gives you a feel of life in the south decades ago...
  • How I Got This Way
  • King of The Road: True Tales from a Legendary Ice Road Trucker
  • A Twist of Lemmon: A Tribute to My Father
  • Run Away: One Woman's Story of Resilience
  • Two Winters in a Tipi: My Search for the Soul of the Forest
  • East Wind: a True Story
  • The Best Way: El Camino de Santiago
  • Memoirs of a Gas Station: A Delightfully Awkward Journey Across the Alaskan Tundra
  • Blind But Now I See: The Biography of Music Legend Doc Watson
  • This Is Your Captain Speaking: My Fantastic Voyage Through Hollywood, Faith and Life
  • Killing Willis: From Diff'rent Strokes to the Mean Streets to the Life I Always Wanted
  • Travel Unscripted
  • Speak Swahili, Dammit !
  • Life Is Not a Stage: From Broadway Baby to a Lovely Lady and Beyond
  • Chinese Girl in the Ghetto
  • Elsie: Adventures of an Arizona Schoolteacher 1913-1916
  • Happy Chaos
  • An Italian Journey ~ A Harvest of Revelations in the Olive Groves of Tuscany ~ A Pretty Girl, Seven Tuscan Farmers, and a Roberto Rossellini Film ~ Bella Scoperta

“With the possible exception of grits, there’s no food more Southern than greens, whose bitter smell while cooking down in salty fatback amid the jittery hiss of a pressure cooker is a Proustian madeleine for generations of black and white Southerners alike. The” 0 likes
“Los Angeles, in short, is a place of great material and creative wealth, and boundless personal freedom—but also of a certain spiritual and civic poverty. Though there are many wonderful people here, on the whole it’s an anxious, self-involved place, where roots and tradition are largely forgotten, where neighbors don’t know each other and don’t particularly want to. It’s not that L.A. people are bad, but that there’s something about the way life is structured in this sunny paradise that leaves people feeling atomized and powerless to do anything about our common condition. I know it. I feel it myself, and had been feeling it for a long time before I realized how homesick I was. And I want better for my children.” 0 likes