Start by marking “Homesick: A Memoir” as Want to Read:
Homesick: A Memoir

Homesick: A Memoir

3.72 of 5 stars 3.72  ·  rating details  ·  167 ratings  ·  23 reviews
This is a story about home . . .

At a time when much of America is yearning to recapture the spirit and feelings of a more innocent era, comes this exceptional new book from one of our most beloved actresses: a story of one woman's journey to reconnect with the landscape of her childhood.

Though best known today as the star of the television series Once & Again and Sis
Published October 15th 2002 by HarperEntertainment

To ask other readers questions about Homesick, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Homesick

Erin
When I was about halfway through HOMESICK I thought that it wasn't a great memoir....Ward covers most different areas of her life with about two-three pages, and I kept thinking "I want to hear MORE about Alabama, about her involvement with Chi Omega, about her celebrity relationships and why they failed" and I thought it wasn't a great book. Then I realized that the book isn't intended to be an all-encompassing memoir of Ward's life, but rather is a focused piece about her love affair with the ...more
Denise
I already liked Sela as an actress before I read her book, but now I like her even more for her honesty and willingness to reveal herself in this wonderful memoir. She bares her feelings and thoughts throughout these pages. She’s a kind and warm woman with a great sense of what falily means. She talks about her family ties, their strugles, achievements, and what being a member of the Ward family is like.

In this fast paced and competitive world not everyone stays close to their family and home o
Mike
Mar 05, 2013 Mike rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Sela Ward fans
Another celebrity autobiography which piqued my interest as I've seen Sela Ward act over the years.

The book talks mainly of her life down South and how she grew to love it for its traditions and family values and how she longed for it while in LA.

A good portion of the last part of the book talks of the time when her mother passed away...right after the tragedy of 9/11 so Sela takes the readers through her reactions and sadness after both major events in her life.

No this is not a tell-all book..
Paige Greene
I thoroughly enjoyed this lovely book that was NOT a celebrity tell-all but simply a love letter to Ms. Ward's southern roots. Quick, soothing read.
Owen
Admittedly, my interest in reading this book centered around my relations to Sela Ward, so I enjoyed learning more about her and her background. Particularly liked the stories about her family-members, growing up in Mississippi, and places there I have visited many times. I also found the general story of her transition from small-town MS to an LA actress and balancing the different parts of her personality reflected in each location to be of interest.
Sheena
I actually bought this on a disastrous trip to Mississippi several years ago. I loved all her stories about growing up in the south. She seems like a genuinely nice person and has tried to remain true to her roots. She makes getting into acting sound so simple and easy. As with all autobiographies I have a feeling that much was left unsaid or glossed over. Well worth reading if you love the South.
Cynthia
Ms. Ward's remembrances of growing up in Mississippi and the values taught to her by her family resonate with me. Her compassion for children lead her to open Hope Village for Children. This is a celebrity memoir worth reading if one wants to understand the culture of Mississippians and of the South.
Kristy
I have always loved Sela Ward's acting & when I found out she had written her memoirs, I had to read this.

This is all about Sela's growing up in Mississippi. It details her love of the South & how she has passed that love onto her children. She does delve into her working years in Hollywood, as well.
Cyndee Thomas
Sela Ward is happy with her Southern roots. Her memoir spans more than just the growing up years. If you like her work as an actress on screen;chances are you will enjoy this book.I liked her College years and the fact that she goes home to connect with her homeland.
Cyndee Thomas
Natalie
She had a book siging in Memphis so the whole fam has a copy - was just okay - although eveyone thought she was beautiful and down-to-earth in person (hotel staff commented that it was nice for once to have a famous guest that was very low-maintenance)
Paige
Interesting reflections on what the South means to one who grew up there and moved away. You still get the idea Sela is looking for something more foundational though much of what she says rings true to Southern ears.
Twila
A bit hard to follow at times, but I loved the cadence and sense of this book. Sela is an actor in some of my favorite TV shows over the years, and her voice was ringing in my ears as I read it. Lovely sentiments here.
Art
Sela Ward's memoir brought back a lot of Southern childhood memories for me. A real pleasure to read.
Virginia Branch
This book really resonated with me as our childhood and upbringing are very similar. As a fellow homesick Mississippian, she put into words what I feel about my hometown. I had the opportunity to meet her this past winter at a social event in the delta but I didn't want to bother her so the opportunity was lost. I'm sure she wouldn't have minded - oh well...
Pammie
Not a page-turner but mildly interesting. The actress writes about her childhood in Meridian, Mississippi. Her feelings of displacement as a southerner in LA led her to build a house near Meridian so her children could share some of the experiences she cherishes about her own childhood.
Kathryn
This was a great book I thought, Sela Ward didn't do a ton of name dropping like some other famous people do. Some of those seem to become a "who can name the most famous people they have met"
My sister gave me an autographed copy of this book for Christmas, and I wasn't excited since autobiographies don't interest me much . . . but I ended up loving it.
Heather
I scored this book from a bargain bin. :) It was surprisingly not at all bad, and I liked reading about her upbringing in the deep south (Mississippi).
Heidi
A great read so far! Listening to it in my car. It's already making me nostalgic for the south, even though I'm not southern.
Brooke
This is an ok book. Had some good stories and gives you a feel of life in the south decades ago...
Melody
Wonderful insight into the actress I love...made me want to visit all things Southern.
I loved every minute of it.
Carol
Excellent book!
Deb
Deb is currently reading it
May 18, 2015
Elizabeth (Betty)
Elizabeth (Betty) marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2015
Sandi M
Sandi M marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2015
Kme_17
Kme_17 marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2015
Kathryn
Kathryn marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2015
  • Memoirs of a Gas Station: A Delightfully Awkward Journey Across the Alaskan Tundra
  • How I Got This Way
  • The Best Way: El Camino de Santiago
  • This Is Your Captain Speaking: My Fantastic Voyage Through Hollywood, Faith & Life
  • Blind But Now I See: The Biography of Music Legend Doc Watson
  • The Freedom Writers Diary (Movie Tie-in Edition): How a Teacher and 150 Teens Used Writing to Change Themselves and the World Around Them
  • Dirt in the Skirt
  • Killing Willis: From Diff'rent Strokes to the Mean Streets to the Life I Always Wanted
  • Cautionary Tales (Kindle Single)
  • Speak Swahili, Dammit !
  • Chinese Girl in the Ghetto
  • Pitching My Tent: On Marriage, Motherhood, Friendship, and Other Leaps of Faith
  • Life Is Not a Stage: From Broadway Baby to a Lovely Lady and Beyond