Start by marking “Harold at the North Pole: A Christmas journey with the purple crayon” as Want to Read:
Harold at the North Pole: A Christmas journey with the purple crayon

Harold at the North Pole: A Christmas journey with the purple crayon (Harold #4)

Can Harold use his purple crayon to help Santa and save Christmas?
Published 1999 by Scholastic, Inc. (first published 1958)

To ask other readers questions about Harold at the North Pole, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Harold at the North Pole

Patrick
Dec 26, 2014 Patrick rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This isn't a bad book by any means, but it falls a little short of the other Harold books in my opinion. Not quite as charming and universally appealing as the others...
Dolly
Dec 19, 2012 Dolly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: childrens, christmas, art, 2012
We've read a couple of the books in the Harold and the Purple Crayon series by Crockett Johnson. Harold is such a cute little boy and we enjoy his spontaneity and creativity.

Since the original tale that began the series was selected as one of the books for the November 2012 - Classic Picture Book Characters reads at the Picture-Book Club in the Children's Books Group here at Goodreads, I thought it would be fun to revisit this character for a holiday-themed read.

This story depicts Harold as he
Ahmad Sharabiani
Harold at the North Pole (Harold #4), Crockett Johnson pseudonym for David Johnson Leisk
عنوان: هارولد در قطب شمال کتاب 4؛ نویسنده و تصویرگر: کراکت جانسون؛ مترجم: فاطمه حجوانی؛ تهران، قدیانی، 1388؛ در 64 ص، مصور، فروست: مجموعه قصه های هارولد 4؛ شابک: 9789645367235؛ موضوع: داستانهای خیال انگیز کودکان از نویسندگان قرن 20 م
Sarah Adamson
Not quite as fun as the others in the series but nicely related to Christmas and the holiday season. Fun adventures for Harold with his crayon. You can do anything you can imagine!
Vonia
The fantastical Purple Crayon is back and more transcendent than ever.... with a lot of holiday festive fun! Oh, how i love this childhood story, no matter how old I am. keep it coming!
Celticoracle
Jan 06, 2017 Celticoracle rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mini-me
This one didn't hold Mini-Me's attention - or mine - like the original did. It's still cute to watch Harold draw, but the story felt a little flat.
Jourdan
Sep 16, 2014 Jourdan rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book is about a little boy and his purple crayon. It is Christmas Eve and he has lots to get done before Santa comes. He starts off by making it snow. He gets carried away with this and ends up creating a blizzard. When it calms down, he figures he is at the North Pole. After a little searching for Santa's workshop, he comes to the conclusion that he might be standing on it. He worries about Santa being stuck inside so he draws a chimney. He helps Santa out and draws a sleigh and reindeer f ...more
Becky
First sentence: It was Christmas Eve, and Harold had to have a Christmas tree before Santa Claus arrived.

Premise/plot: It's Christmas Eve and Harold needs a Christmas tree. With his purple crayon in hand, Harold's adventure begins. He's in search of a tree, so he must draw stars and woods and SNOW. Because he was a little TOO enthusiastic about the snow, Harold finds himself at the North Pole, and, Santa is snowed in. Can Harold draw Santa out of trouble?

My thoughts: This one is so cute and cha
Amy
Dec 28, 2015 Amy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As a long time fan of Harold and his adventures with his purple crayon, I was delighted to find this little treasure! With a copyright date of 1958 and a note that states that the story was originally published in an abbreviated format in GOOD HOUSEKEEPING Magazine, Johnson tells Harold's story of his quest to find the perfect tree on Christmas Eve. Of course, Harold's crayon takes him to the North Pole, where he is able to help Santa during a big blizzard.
babyhippoface
When I was little, I was kind of fascinated by the way Harold could just draw his world into existence. That rocked. I saw this book for the first time this week. The story is cute, very Christmasy, but I'm pretty sure as a child I would have said, right off the bat, "Why doesn't he just draw a Christmas tree??" at the very beginning. (Which is, I'm sure, what kids will say when I read it to them.) Still, fun for the holiday season.
Shelli
Jan 09, 2013 Shelli rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Crockett Johnson has captured the art of storytelling in its simplest and purest form. Harold books make you believe that anyone can be an author and illustrator. Magic can happen by simply picking up a crayon and enjoying a silly conversation with your little ones and seeing where the story takes you. What will your character do now? What would you do if you were him/her? The outcomes are endless!
Min
Aug 12, 2014 Min rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Simply put, in my deep heart, Harold is entirely magical. The ease with which he creates his reality is so effortless it appears entirely natural. There is no questioning that what he is doing is good, right, and proper, in every way.
That very idea, building our own creation from our imagination, is the purest essence of Life.
Hidden within a children's story is the key to happiness.
Samantha
Harold and his purple crayon help Santa with his Christmas Eve duties.

I liked the humor woven into the decisions Harold makes as he's drawing the seasonal elements of this story, especially not being able to remember which order the reindeer go in and what their names are).

Nice seasonal read aloud for PreK-2.

Nancy Kotkin
Very Christmas-y, and traditional. As appropriate for his age, Harold believes in Santa. Not quite as magical as the other Harold books, but still a solid holiday read with a familiar character wielding his purple crayon.
Stacy
Feb 22, 2008 Stacy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own, christmas-books
I love the Harold and the Purple Crayon books. It's amazing what things he can think up to draw. I always wished that I had a magic crayon like Harold and could draw anything I wanted and it would come to life!
Timothy Boyd
Jan 15, 2016 Timothy Boyd rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was one of my favorite series of books as a young beginning reader. My imagination was a lot like Harold's I just didn't have the crayon to make things happen. If you have kids or grand-kids these are a great set of book to introduce them to the world of reading. Highly recommended.
Heather
Oct 28, 2014 Heather rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, christmas
We have always enjoyed the creativity of the Harold books and this one was cute and fun as part of our Christmas advent books.
Caity
Aug 19, 2016 Caity rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really cute story and artwork. A perfect holiday book for fans of Harold.
Anya Gupta
I liked it when Harold put moon on top of the Christmas Tree
Jobiska (Cindy)
A nice continuation of Harold's purple crayon adventures with a seasonal twist. By Crockett Johnson, not this ubiquitous "unknown" character!
Geri
Great story, easy reading for younger students.
Tiny Mendoza
Sep 22, 2013 Tiny Mendoza rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not as better as the first one, but still adorable. I love Harold and his purple crayon! :)
Ruth
Dec 12, 2015 Ruth rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love Harold!
Kerry
Sep 16, 2015 Kerry rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read with my 4yo daughter
Heidi-Marie
Oh my goodness--a Harold Christmas book! Cute and fun, and imaginative as always. I also couldn't help but laugh at the stray coloring our library copy has.
Adrienne Furness
This is the weakest of the Harold titles, as far as I'm concerned.
Becca
I was unaware of this story by Crockett Johnson. It's not as good as the famous purple crayon story, and ends rather abruptly, but is still enjoyable.
Shelley
Oct 21, 2014 Shelley rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christmas, age-2
Yet another simple story like his famous purple crayon one...but not as cute of a story. Good for a little Christmas theme, but nothing amazing.
Emely
Dec 07, 2008 Emely rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Harold heads to the North Pole to find a Christmas Tree and finds Santa snowed in. He draws him his reindeer and sleigh and goes on to find his tree.
Lauren Alvarez
Jan 24, 2016 Lauren Alvarez rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this book because I really like this little baby Harold he is the best baby for all the the book
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Who's That Knocking on Christmas Eve?
  • The Christmas Quiet Book
  • Me First (Sandpiper paperbacks)
  • Peter Spier's Christmas!
  • Christmas Cookies: Bite-Size Holiday Lessons
  • How the Cat Swallowed Thunder
  • The Christmas Sweater: A Picture Book
  • The Legend of the Poinsettia
pseudonym for David Johnson Leisk
More about Crockett Johnson...

Harold (7 books)