Harold at the North Pole: A Christmas journey with the purple crayon

Harold at the North Pole: A Christmas journey with the purple crayon (Harold #4)

3.88 of 5 stars 3.88  ·  rating details  ·  187 ratings  ·  13 reviews
Can Harold use his purple crayon to help Santa and save Christmas?
Published 1999 by Scholastic, Inc. (first published 1958)

Dolly
Dec 19, 2012 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: 2012, art, childrens, christmas
We've read a couple of the books in the Harold and the Purple Crayon series by Crockett Johnson. Harold is such a cute little boy and we enjoy his spontaneity and creativity.

Since the original tale that began the series was selected as one of the books for the November 2012 - Classic Picture Book Characters reads at the Picture-Book Club in the Children's Books Group here at Goodreads, I thought it would be fun to revisit this character for a holiday-themed read.

This story depicts Harold as he...more
babyhippoface
When I was little, I was kind of fascinated by the way Harold could just draw his world into existence. That rocked. I saw this book for the first time this week. The story is cute, very Christmasy, but I'm pretty sure as a child I would have said, right off the bat, "Why doesn't he just draw a Christmas tree??" at the very beginning. (Which is, I'm sure, what kids will say when I read it to them.) Still, fun for the holiday season.
Shelli
Crockett Johnson has captured the art of storytelling in its simplest and purest form. Harold books make you believe that anyone can be an author and illustrator. Magic can happen by simply picking up a crayon and enjoying a silly conversation with your little ones and seeing where the story takes you. What will your character do now? What would you do if you were him/her? The outcomes are endless!
Stacy
I love the Harold and the Purple Crayon books. It's amazing what things he can think up to draw. I always wished that I had a magic crayon like Harold and could draw anything I wanted and it would come to life!
Heidi
Oh my goodness--a Harold Christmas book! Cute and fun, and imaginative as always. I also couldn't help but laugh at the stray coloring our library copy has.
Emely
Harold heads to the North Pole to find a Christmas Tree and finds Santa snowed in. He draws him his reindeer and sleigh and goes on to find his tree.
Becca
I was unaware of this story by Crockett Johnson. It's not as good as the famous purple crayon story, and ends rather abruptly, but is still enjoyable.
Jobiska (Cindy)
A nice continuation of Harold's purple crayon adventures with a seasonal twist. By Crockett Johnson, not this ubiquitous "unknown" character!
Liz
Adorable Christmas story. My son is a huge Harold fan, and I was delighted to find there was a holiday book in the series.
Tiny Mendoza
Not as better as the first one, but still adorable. I love Harold and his purple crayon! :)
Adrienne Furness
This is the weakest of the Harold titles, as far as I'm concerned.
Geri
Great story, easy reading for younger students.
Artlab
This book is LOcatd in the Line Box
Shauna
Shauna marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2014
Daniel
Daniel marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2014
Posh Teacher
Posh Teacher marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2014
Matthew
Matthew marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2014
Shrutika Khattar
Shrutika Khattar marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2014
Marie
Marie marked it as to-read
May 21, 2014
Christina Browne
Christina Browne marked it as to-read
May 18, 2014
  • Who's That Knocking on Christmas Eve?
  • Me First
  • Morris' Disappearing Bag
  • The Christmas Magic
  • The Legend of the Poinsettia
  • One Snowy Night
  • A Book
  • Mike Mulligan and More: A Virginia Lee Burton Treasury
  • Merry Christmas, Big Hungry Bear!
  • Mr. Willowby's Christmas Tree
  • Babar and Father Christmas
  • Edwurd Fudwupper Fibbed Big
  • Room for a Little One: A Christmas Tale
pseudonym for David Johnson Leisk
More about Crockett Johnson...
Harold and the Purple Crayon The Adventures of Harold and the Purple Crayon Harold's Fairy Tale A Picture for Harold's Room Harold's Circus