Start by marking “Finishing Touches” as Want to Read:
Finishing Touches

Finishing Touches

3.30  ·  Rating Details  ·  286 Ratings  ·  29 Reviews
From the author of "How to Meet Cute Boys" comes a tragic comedy: the story of a woman who just might learn that life, like any good interior, can always use a little rearranging.
Published May 1st 2006 by Warner Books (NY)

To ask other readers questions about Finishing Touches, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Finishing Touches

Katrice
Feb 12, 2012 Katrice rated it really liked it
Finally, my first good chick-lit for the year.

I have a weakness for chick-lit with character development. Light, fluffy stories about a single gal trying to make something of herself and in the process finding love and true friendship.

While any old writer can write about wacky rom-com hi-jinks with a sassy single heroine, not everyone can write good chick-lit. By this I mean that - while wacky hi-jinks may ensue and the end does contain love - the character earned her happy ending by actually le
Anastasia Cynthia
“Ketika seseorang yang dekat dengan kita meninggal, kita sering kali bertanya-tanya mengapa bukan kita saja yang meninggal. Kita mungkin merasa bahwa pasangan kita tak tergantikan, atau mungkin mendapati diri kita bersemangat untuk berkencan.” —Finishing Touch ‘Sentuhan Akhir’, hlm. 359

Jesse Holtz baru saja menyadari segalanya di umur 29, ketika seluruh kerabat dan para sahabat mempertanyakan alur hidupnya. Ia pikir, dirinya masih bisa bermain-main seperti SMA dulu. Punya dua sahabat keren, tan
Megan
Nov 13, 2010 Megan rated it really liked it
Definitely a deeper kind of "love" story. Emotional roller-coaster. What happens when your best friend dies randomly in a car accident and you suddenly find yourself "enjoying" way too much time with her widower (who SHOULD have been yours in the beginning way back when)?? Not to mention that your surviving best friend (and third point to the pre-death tri-ad) calls you on it and refuses to approve long before you decide to head down an emotionally disturbing path that everyone but you can see . ...more
Stacey
Jan 07, 2009 Stacey rated it liked it
Well, this book definitely makes you question things. How much would I crumble if my best friend died? Would I ever have the guts to live my dream? Would I ever be able to recognize a terrible situation over a convenient situation. It was a good book and well written, but honestly the thinking it made me do was kind of a bummer. In the end, the book has a great ending...but again makes me question if my life would have a great ending after tragedy.
Jan 19, 2008 Jennifer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Jennifer by: Lisa Alpern Cucinotta
Best chick lit book I have read in ages - I was wavering between giving this 4 and 5 stars so I would probably give it 4.5 stars if I could. Much more substantial and emotionally heart felt than your typical chick lit. It's about the aftermath after a woman's best friend is in a horrible car accident - don't want to say much more as I don't want to spoil the book.
aly
Oct 15, 2008 aly rated it liked it
Was good, just didn't end the way i wanted it to.
Nina Belle
Sep 23, 2011 Nina Belle rated it liked it
Women want the fairytale. Not all women, of course, but most women grow up dreaming about the kind of man who would risk everything for them, even knowing they might get hurt (Nicholas Sparks)
Gak bisa dipungkiri, hampir semua wanita (termasuk gw) menginginkan hidup seperti Putri dalam kisah dongeng. Hidup susah di awal2 cerita, tapi lalu bertemu ksatria dengan kuda putihnya dan cerita berakhir dengan bahagia.
But life isn't a fairy tale, rite?
Tagihan bulanan, pekerjaan yang menggila, gaji yang (
Shea
Jul 22, 2010 Shea rated it liked it
Cheryl
Feb 29, 2012 Cheryl rated it it was ok
I liked this Kizis book more than Cute Boys. I was surprised with the ending! It definitely wasn't what I expected, but in a good way.

It was easy for me to relate to the characters. There are so many, any reader could relate to someone in the book, or at least find traces of themselves in the personalities or situations of the characters. The plot is interesting. The reader and the main characters are forced to question boundaries in love and friendship, work life and personal life, relationshi
Jessie
Apr 27, 2014 Jessie rated it did not like it
I hung in there and read up to 50 pages. If you have any medical knowledge whatsoever DO NOT READ THIS BOOK! I realize that having medical knowledge sometimes you have to push past what authors write and just look at the story but the story was poorly written... at best. Storylines are introduced that add nothing to the story. Spoiler alert, for a book about a girl grieving her best friend, the friend takes an awfully long time to die! My interest in the book died with Cecil.
Alisia
May 18, 2015 Alisia rated it really liked it
This turned out to be a really good book. I seen this book at a salvation army and I seen it again at a different one and I picked it up. I really enjoyed the humor and craziness that was written. I would recommend it.
Jenn
Jul 26, 2007 Jenn rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: youthful feminine readers
I enjoyed this book for it's touch on reality. She writes in a way that makes you understand fully the emotions of the main character. I was conflicted on whether or not I like the reader's actions, but was compelled to see where her heart and the relationship would take her.
I read the book in about 5 days, reading whenever I could squeeze in the time. It isn't a typical take on romance, more of a sad, recovering and heartbroken romance turned positive, then negative, then recovering and finall
Sep 29, 2008 Sarah rated it it was ok
This was an ok chick lit bus/train read. The main character, Jesse, is penned as your average twenty-something girl probably to get the reader to relate to her more which in some ways was accomplished and in other ways annoying. It became somewhat predictable, as most chick lit is but was entertaining also. Everything all works out in the end with a big red bow on it! As do our lives.
Sara
Sep 06, 2008 Sara rated it liked it
I started reading this book on Thursday and finished it Friday night. For whatever reason, I couldn't quite reading it. I loved the characters and that while it was a Hollywood perfect ending, it was still a perfect ending. I think I liked it because there are friendships that are fleeting and others that are forever, but both help us define who we are.
bethany
Apr 19, 2010 bethany rated it really liked it
I loved this book! It was similar to "Something Borrowed" by Emily Giffin, with the same sort of story line and theme on friendships. I liked many things about this book and could really identify with the main character, a "wallflower" who figures out how to stop living in her best friend's shadow and really live her own life.
Christy
Mar 10, 2008 Christy rated it liked it
A genuinely good story about a woman recovering from the death of her closest friend. She turns to the best help she knows, her best friend's widower, but soon wonders if the two might be seeking the sparks to a new relationship. This one didn't end as I expected, and I appreciated that.
Stephanie
Apr 15, 2010 Stephanie rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2010
I really enjoyed this book! There were several characters constantly interacting so it felt like there was always something going on. I'm not sure what I would do in Jesse's situation, but it really gets you thinking about what happens when someone dies.
Maria
Aug 12, 2008 Maria rated it it was amazing
a very good story, and the fact that it's about a topic that most people don't explore makes it even better. the ending was the best that there could be for it. totally recommend this one.
Holly
Nov 06, 2007 Holly rated it really liked it
I got this book in a gift bag for some event and just picked it up after a friend read it. I love it and cannot put it down. Story about friendship and relationships and loss.
Olgags
Jan 27, 2010 Olgags rated it really liked it
Loved it! I just picked this book with no idea what it was about. Its sad and makes you really think of the people around you and how would it feel to loose them.
Kourtney
May 11, 2015 Kourtney rated it liked it
Interesting topic of conversation - how would you handle dating the widow of one of your best friends? I thought this was handled well and made a good story.
Victoria Romane
Jan 13, 2012 Victoria Romane rated it really liked it
This novel reflects how love really started with friendship, but sometimes friendships will end up evil because of too much love.
Evi Afryanti
May 13, 2011 Evi Afryanti rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kemarahan akan menelanmu hidup-hidup. Percayalah. Satu-satunya cara untuk mengatasinya adalah dengan memaafkan.
Holly
Jun 28, 2008 Holly rated it liked it
Kind of a strange story about a best friend's death, but it was alright.
Abby
Sep 29, 2008 Abby rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed reading this book. It was a quick read.
Jaimie
Jan 30, 2009 Jaimie rated it liked it
Very light reading, cute but somewhat predictable
Dena
Mar 13, 2008 Dena rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this! Very similar to Emily Giffin.
Sep 05, 2008 Sarah rated it liked it
A decent quick read.
Jamman85
Jun 24, 2008 Jamman85 rated it liked it
Had to read it for work :)
Crystal Farrington
Crystal Farrington rated it liked it
Jun 24, 2016
  • Orange
  • Four Wives
  • Selama Kita Tersesat di Luar Angkasa: Kumpulan Cerita Absurd
  • Wedding Season
  • The Architect (Frank Clevenger, #6)
  • A Clean Slate
  • The Final Note: A Novel
Deanna Kizis is a film and television writer.

She was the West Coast Editor of Elle magazine, a contributing editor at Harper's Bazaar, and a reporter at Entertainment Weekly. Her novels "Finishing Touches" and "How to Meet Cute Boys" both received critical acclaim from People (three stars), Us magazine ("hottest summer beach reads"), Kirkus, Publishers Weekly, and Elle ("an impressive debut from o
More about Deanna Kizis...