Start by marking “Shut Up” as Want to Read:
Shut Up

Shut Up (Hamilton High #10)

When their mother is called to Iraq with her National Guard Unit, 17-year-old Mario Barajas and his 10-year-old brother, Eddie, move in with their Aunt Carmen. Eddie, hungry for the love of a father, happily soaks up the attention their aunt's boyfriend, Denton, freely gives. Mario is caught up with a girlfriend who is his first love, with high school soccer, and with ...more
Published February 10th 2015 by New Wind Publishing (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Shut Up, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shut Up

Karen
Dec 05, 2014 Karen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Carhyne
Apr 08, 2012 Carhyne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is about 2 brothers who's mom went off to Iraq. During this time, they stayed with their aunt Carmen. After a while Mario, the older brother, finds out that in addition to his already complicated life, his younger brother, Eddie, has been taken advantage of by their aunt's boyfriend, Denton. So to get rid of this problem, he took Eddie and went off to their uncle's house. From there, Mario tried to regain the trust of Eddie, because he broke his promise of not to tell anyone Eddie’s ...more
Mrs. Tongate
Jul 25, 2012 Mrs. Tongate rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: teen
A brutally tough story that made me sick to my stomach.

Eddie and Mario’s single mom is shipped off to Iraq, leaving them to stay with her sister. The day before Max ships out, Mario, 17 years old, promises her he’ll take care of Eddie, his nine-year-old brother. But there’s his girlfriend, his coffee shop job, school, training for soccer, daily email messages to his mom, and the tensions of living with his demanding aunt. It’s no wonder Mario barely notices that Eddie’s not laughing much anymor
Natalie De
May 22, 2013 Natalie De rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was fantastic, I was literally unable to put it down. It is about a common story of sexual abuse. Once Max, the mother of Eddie and Mario, gets shipped off to fight in iraq they have to live with their aunt Carmen. Carmen's boyfriend Denton is a suspicious and sketchy man that ends up taking advantage of the younger brother, eddie.Throughout this story sexual abuse is taken into detail and depth and gives you a certain perspective of what it truly is. "shut up" might have been slow in ...more
Kya
Apr 09, 2012 Kya rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book really touched me in some parts i cryed,not because they were sad but because this happened to me a few years ago.Mario i can understand where he was coming from by not telling anyone what eddie and denton had been doing i feel terrible for the kid but pround he stayed strong and proud mario helped i got several of my friends to read this and it amazes me exactly how many i got to read the boook because not many of my friends read anymore and i still have at leats twenty people waiting ...more
Kandyce Barber
Jun 09, 2011 Kandyce Barber rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hard to read, as per the subject, but a story well told. I sometimes struggled to see what was happening from a seventeen year old's perspective. I reacted as a mother would. Mario and Eddie are staying with their aunt while their mother fulfills her duty with the National Guard in Iraq. The boys' aunt has a boyfriend that abuses Eddie, the younger of the two boys. Mario struggles to leave his regular high school life as he tries to help keep his brother safe.
Liberty Abbott-Sylvester
While their mom is in Iraq, Mario and Eddie will be staying with their Aunt Carmen. During their stay there Eddie is sexually abused by a trusted person. The story follows Mario's attempt of protecting his little brother, the effects of the abuse on Eddie and on Mario.

I thought it was a interesting story about a topic that should be discussed. I think the way the characters responded was portrayed just like some real life children would. Mario is a champion in my book.
Julia
A story of two brothers who are living with an aunt while Mom is serving in Iraq. The younger brother is sexually abused by the aunt's boyfriend, and the older brother has to save him. It's not a neat and simple story, but feels more realistic than that. Really a good story for both awareness and bibliotherapy.
Judy
Shut Up is an all too common story of the sexual exploitation of a child by a trusted adult, and the risks children and teens must sometimes face when deprived of the watchful care of a dedicated and loving parent. It is also the love of two brothers, and their fight to survive an extremely difficult situation. FIC Reynolds 332036
Pysson
Feb 08, 2011 Pysson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I can't remember the last time I read a book that made my adreneline pump and my heart pound as much as this one did. This book about sexual abuse will keep you on the edge of your seat and make you emotionally involved with the characters.
Kristen Wright
Jul 28, 2012 Kristen Wright rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was disturbed and disgusted by Denton and impressed with Mario's devotion to Eddie. What a heart-wrenching nightmare to go through. As a mother, I can't imagine the helplessness Maria must have felt.
Hugo Sanchez
Mar 01, 2012 Hugo Sanchez rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I thought that this book was one of the best books i have ever read. It has things that actually happen to people in real life.
Shaniqua Smith
Sep 25, 2012 Shaniqua Smith rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
i love this book so much.It tells the struggles of two boys and their life.You people need to read this book.You will love it trust me!
Nathalie
Aug 23, 2009 Nathalie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
this is the best book you will ever ask for. its about the trust two brothers have together and the love that they keeps them together.
Charmaine
Debi
Jul 06, 2016 Debi rated it it was amazing
Read this book all at once. A sad story, but one that
the Author has done an amazing job of raising awareness.
Kimmy
May 16, 2015 Kimmy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great writing style. Love the emotion behind this story. The love and sacrifice that is placed along with the a truly insightful message. Shut up was a memorable book.
Jayjuan Smith
Sep 28, 2012 Jayjuan Smith rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This Was a good book to me. I think anyone ages 13 and up should read this book because they might could connect it to someone they know or even themselves.
Jennifer Sassaman
Jennifer Sassaman rated it really liked it
Dec 12, 2014
Teresa
Feb 01, 2016 Teresa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
graphic, disturbing and honest
austin
austin rated it it was amazing
Aug 30, 2015
Amanda Cresse
Amanda Cresse rated it it was amazing
Sep 28, 2016
Hannah
Hannah rated it liked it
Aug 25, 2014
Alma
Alma rated it liked it
Jul 11, 2013
Tia Lawson
Tia Lawson rated it it was amazing
Mar 17, 2012
Tanner Stackhouse
Tanner Stackhouse rated it it was amazing
Oct 27, 2014
Julie
Julie rated it really liked it
Oct 28, 2011
Damaris
Damaris rated it it was ok
Jan 25, 2013
Alexandria Gilland
Alexandria Gilland rated it it was amazing
Jan 11, 2010
Cerita
Cerita rated it it was amazing
Apr 24, 2016