The Running Man:

The Running Man:

3.45 of 5 stars 3.45  ·  rating details  ·  362 ratings  ·  59 reviews

There had always been the Running Man—always that phantom form somewhere in the distance, always shuffling relentlessly closer . . .

For a long time, fourteen-year-old Joseph has wondered about old Tom Leyton, his reclusive next-door neighbor. Gossip and rumors suggest that something terrible happened to Tom in the past.

Then Joseph is asked to draw Tom for a school a

Published January 1st 2004 by Omnibus Books

Shirley Marr
I found this poor unwanted book that was once a gift from “Uncle Michael” in the bargains section of Good Sammies, marked down from $2 to $1. I found this quite a bargain indeed as it’s got two shiny award stickers on it (one being a 2005 CBCA). I’ve not heard of this book before. Is this a forgotten YA Aussie treasure that should be sitting on a bazillion GR shelves instead?

On the younger spectrum of YA (I’d say 12+), The Running Man is a story of a young boy named Joseph who has to draw a port...more
Karlan
Jul 18, 2008 Karlan rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: age 12 up
This is one of those titles published for teens which is too good for adults to miss. The plight of a disturbed recluse, a Vietnam vet, and his sister are seen through the eyes of a 14 year old boy with troubles of his own. Beautifully written, the novel shows characters who are willing to change and who learn compassion.
Steph
The mystery of Joseph Davidson’s street has always been about his elusive neighbor, Tom Leyton. Joseph has always
liked Tom’s amiable sister, Caroline, but Tom was just weird. He rarely came out of his house. Not much was known
about Tom Leyton.

Leyton household drawing none other than Tom. The two bonded over Tom’s silkworms and became friends. The
mysteries of Tom Leyton were...more
Rachael
Joseph Davidson is a shy and artistic boy. So naturally, when he’s given a school assignment to make a portrait, he is unsure of whom he wants his subject to be. So, he never expects to pick him mysterious neighbor, Tom Leyton. At first, he tells Caroline, the sister or Tom Leyton who first suggested Tom as the subject, that he will think about it. But when another neighbor thinks that Joseph would be too afraid, he takes up the challenge.

Gradually, Joseph spends more and more time with Tom and...more
Stevecrandell
This is a haunting book, with a great storyline. 14-year-old Joseph feels abandoned by his father, and refuses to abandon those around him to their own torments. He can’t hold back his interest in next-door neighbor Thomas Leyton, in spite of some serious hints of Leyton’s tortured past and present. Then there’s the Running Man himself, with his frenzied circuits across town, and his cameos in Joseph’s nightmares. Although this is by no means a horror story, there are plenty of around-the-next-c...more
Jill Dempsey
May 16, 2011 Jill Dempsey rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: everyone who wonders about the other side of the heart
Recommended to Jill by: me
one of the most brilliant books I have read. I rarely suggest that everyone should read a book, but this is one I will. As usual Michael has you terrified of missing a page because you are turning them so fast. The school system will miss this teacher but the literary world needed him.
I believe it will join the classics. Though originally an Ishmael fan, I read 'running man'. curious about the author's first published book and this became a sudden favourite.
If you missed this book, you have miss...more
Jacque
Although you may know where this story is going, you will be drawn in by the relationship between Joseph and Tom Leyton. A relationship that is as tenuous as a strand of silk, but which leads to a metamorphosis for them both. A touching, and heartbreaking, story of redemption.
Melody
Another superb children's book which I will be recommending to my adult reader friends. Beautifully written. Read the last 50 pages through tears.
Dale Harcombe
I read this book some years ago. It was my first introduction to Michael Gerard Bauer and it is brilliant.
Shang
not something i'd read usually but it was nice.
Mandie
Jul 15, 2010 Mandie rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: nobody
Recommended to Mandie by: had to read it for school
Shelves: read-for-school
I had to read the running man for school. When I first read the back cover of this book at the start of the year, it didn't sound promising. If it had I would have read it right then. When we were told to read it over the holidays I was dreading reading it, but I knew I had to so I did. Although this is quite a short book, only 280 pages it felt like the longest book I have ever read. I didn't like the writing style, there were so many metaphors and it seemed like half the plot was based around...more
Karen Ball
Australian Joseph Davidson lives in the house behind the Leyton's. His father spends most of the year working away from home, and Joseph's dreams are haunted by a spooky, shambling person he refers to as "The Running Man." His nice neighbor Caroline Leyton has a brother, Tom, who lives with her. He has been the neighborhood mystery for more years than Joseph has been alive, staying inside most of the time and talking to no one. Joseph gets a portrait assignment in his art class, and ends up in t...more
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Steph for TeensReadToo.com

The mystery of Joseph Davidson's street has always been about his elusive neighbor, Tom Leyton. Joseph has always liked Tom's amiable sister, Caroline, but Tom was just weird. He rarely came out of his house. Not much was known about Tom Leyton.

That all changed when Joseph got a portrait assignment in his art class at school. Joseph suddenly found himself in the Leyton household drawing none other than Tom. The two bonded over Tom's silkworms and became fri...more
Alisinny
I read this book after it was selected for my library reading group. Now I never actually made it to a meeting with this group, which sounds strange I'll admit, but the group was organized by library staff who then didn't become involved or really provide someone like me with any contacts etc.
Despite never attending the group or actually meeting any of its members (I did try) I kept turning up to receive the selected books each month and sometimes they even included talking points. I did so bec...more
Lachlan
“The Running Man” has gentle words and a tightly woven plot that spun us into a cocoon of mystery, unspoken words and mutual understanding. Our mum read it when it first came out, and when she found it in the library she had to share it with us.

“The Running Man” is from the point of view of 14 year old Joseph Davidson. It begins at a funeral and is about Joseph remembering back over all that happened.

Joseph is invited by his neighbour, Caroline Leyton to draw a portrait of her brother (Tom Leyto...more
Serge Léonard

J’ai tout simplement adoré. Michael Gerard Bauer nous offre ici un roman empreint de philosophie, de valeurs et de fraternité. Ce sont les thèmes centraux, ce que véhicule l’oeuvre et qui ressort après sa lecture. De plus, on y perçoit fortement un encouragement à combattre ses peurs, à les affronter pour pouvoir complètement les éliminer. Pas étonnant que ce bouquin ait remporté le « Children’s Book Council of Australia Awards of Books of the year » en 20...more
Terry
Arthur Street is a quiet place, but its residents struggle with ghosts and nightmares: the baggage of events that haunt them every day. When Joseph Davidson begins to sketch neighbor and former teacher Tom Leyton as part of a school art assignment, what starts as two isolated people who struggle with their fears becomes a journey toward opening and friendship. This young adult novel invites readers to discover the world as Joseph sees it.

This is a well-written story. It offers stories about how...more
Tessa Binetti
I really enjoyed reading this book. This would have to be one of the first books that I really enjoyed that was for school. It was a bit sad at times but aren't all books? I loved the friendship between the characters and how it drove them to do incredible things. When I started this book, I was not looking forward to this book but I loved it in the end. I am convinced that I would love to read this book maybe once again.
Ai-re-sheh ☆*:.。. o(≧▽≦)o .。.:*☆
Ok. When it comes to books it's hard to find one I get attached to. I am 12 years old and yes it may seem "young" but I read this book and was amazed, I love it. I fully understood it. This book was a great book I finished it in 3 days. I couldn't put it down. Tom and Joseph had a very good friend relationship going on, I really loved how by over time they became more and more attached. The silkworms and poems where very interesting. The whole story was good. From the cover of the book , I thoug...more
Kasey
Ok, seriously, most boring book EVER.

i think i may have liked Twilight more... wait, no, i don't know. It was pretty boring. But then Twilight sucked...

Anyway this book was basically:

Boy is a loner

boy meets neighbours brother loner (only its sadder because he's like fifty something)

silkworms

the two become friends because of the silkworms (awww, not)

man says "MIRACLES SUCK"

boy believes

boys blames man

ANNNNNNNNND THE END after some more stuff

Ok, this book is quite sad and moving, but honestly only...more
Doroty
I had a little frustration over the author’s writing style. It is very plainly written with a slow pace where much of the story itself is explained through interactions and conversations between the characters. The simplicity of the writing requires the reader to really imagine the situation for itself, the text never revealing much and containing only the essentials for the plot to continue. Although there is emotional depth in the storyline, especially in the relationship between Tom Seyton an...more
Jun 16, 2011 Sarah marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I want to read this because I enjoyed 'Don't call me Ishmael' but on reading the synopsis and other reviews I have a feeling it's one of THOSE books - i.e. serious, deep, beautifully-written and meaningful YA books that are totally lost on their intended audience. The kind of book that parents love and try and get their kids to read, but that kids find boring and pointless because they care far more about exciting plots than beautiful metaphors.

However. I shall attempt not to pass judgement on...more
Sharon
Mickey
This is a more serious book by Michael and shows how accusations or rumours can get in the way of life.

A family move into a new house. There are rumours going around that the man next door has done something really bad and that only his sister lives with him to look after him. When the boy is given art homework he is asked by the sister next door to draw her brother. They form this kind of friendship and the mystery starts to unravel itself.
Holly Zalmstra
I was lucky enough to meet Bauer at a writing workshop, where we had a chat and he signed my copy of this book. I finished it in one afternoon. It was haunting and beautiful, the kind of book that had me reading the last chapter slower and slower, sled reading the point where there would be no more words for me to read. A gorgeous price of work.
Bianca
A beautiful story that reinforces the ideal that you cannot judge a book by its cover, or a person by the rumours of a small town. A story of an unlikely friendship between a war vet who never leaves home and a young quiet boy who end up changing each others lives eternally!
Aia Shtia
Read bad reviews about it but i liked the book. It's true it is slow paced and predictable but when the slowly unfolded until it came to an ending, the book was precious. I loved the miracle waiting for you on this book. :) It was enough to make me cry.
Jane
While this book had more story lines than it needed, and I fear it would appeal to a narrow audience of adolescents, I thoroughly enjoyed this tale of a teen who sets aside what others think and gets to know a broken man for who he is.
Cassius H
Good book but a bit slow pace. I had to read it for school. It had an interesting story line and because there were short chapters you always wanted to go one more, but I wont be reading it again.
Sophie
I read this because the boy I'm tutoring is studying it at school. An enjoyable read that deals sensitively with some pretty heavy subject matter, and has some nice use of metaphor.
  • The Slightly True Story of Cedar B. Hartley, Who Planned to Live an Unusual Life
  • Rocco
  • The Red Shoe
  • In Lane Three, Alex Archer (Alex Archer, #1)
  • By the River
  • Walking Naked
  • There Will Be Wolves
  • Caperucita en Manhattan
  • Thunderwith
  • Heart's Delight
  • Coram Boy
  • Rowan of Rin : The Journey (Rowan of Rin, #1-5)
  • A Pack of Lies
  • Peeling the Onion
  • Oh, boy !
  • River Boy
  • Ascolta il mio cuore
  • The Fire-Eaters
Michael Gerard Bauer was born in Brisbane. After surviving school, he attended the University of Queensland where he enjoyed the social life while making brief and half hearted appearances in a variety of courses.

These included Commercial / Law and Social Work where he quickly discovered he was neither lawyer nor social worker material. Finally, like everyone else who didn't have a clue what they...more
More about Michael Gerard Bauer...
Don't Call Me Ishmael! Just a Dog Ishmael and the Return of the Dugongs Ishmael and the Hoops of Steel Eric Vale Epic Fail