Start by marking “The Approval Addiction: Curing the Insecurities in Your Life” as Want to Read:
The Approval Addiction: Curing the Insecurities in Your Life

The Approval Addiction: Curing the Insecurities in Your Life

4.35  ·  Rating Details  ·  2,926 Ratings  ·  96 Reviews
Filled with powerful insights and practical applications, The Approval Addiction shows readers that through God's forgiveness they are made perfect in His eyes -- whole and complete, without a fear or a flaw! By learning to accept this great truth of who they really are, readers will begin to enjoy healthy thinking and living.The Approval Addiction is the prescription for ...more
Published September 1st 2002 by Harrison House

To ask other readers questions about The Approval Addiction, please sign up.

Augustine Hamusonde One's thoughts are the most powerful things that one can never and not ignore about in life. Other people's thought about you are simply their…moreOne's thoughts are the most powerful things that one can never and not ignore about in life. Other people's thought about you are simply their opinions and I think they have less or no impact at all on one's life unless were they are given full attention.(less)

Crystal Robinson
Nov 10, 2015 Crystal Robinson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christian
What brought me to this book...was the fact that I could absolutely NOT find the book I had bought about assertiveness. I looked high and low for months. Could not remember where I put it! So after months and months of looking for this "Your Perfect Right" book that I had purchased...I finally decided to break down and go look for another one. That is when I came across Joyce Meyer's book. The title drew me in because I was a huge approval addict. When I first bought this book...I had no idea wh ...more
Jeff
Apr 23, 2009 Jeff rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I would have only given this book 4 stars, but I didn't want the author to get mad at me. I'm kidding, of course. I need to keep this book nearby just to remind me every so often that there are so many different values and interests that people have, and there's no way to please everybody. There are a lot of talented people doing their thing, yet their thing may not be something that interests me in the least. The same is true for what I can do.
Megan
Jan 16, 2010 Megan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The more I read, the more I know that God definitely gave me this book for a reason. I am so grateful. It's kind of like tough love to hear everything she has to say, but I know I need to hear it and that I will benefit from it greatly. Everything she says is backed up by scripture, which is so important because it confirms that God does not want me to live for the approval of others but for his approval alone.
Josh Mccoy
Jan 27, 2012 Josh Mccoy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
After stumbling upon this book at B&N I decided to give it a try. I am an approval addict and have been for as long as I can remember. This book used principals from the Bible to show how God is more than enough to meet all our needs! God himself has given us his approval through the security and love we have from Jesus. Joyce expounds on different biblical passages and gives her own wisdom from breaking the "approval addiction" herself.

The book is very raw, giving many details about how her
Jenny
Mar 19, 2010 Jenny rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Confession, I am an approval addict! This book was amazing in showing me just how addicted to pleasing others I truly was. Joyce shows you how to over come this addition. I would have never looked at seeking others approval as an addiction until I saw the title of this book.Overcoming my need to please will be something I will need to work on for a while. It was nice to have some one point out how to over come this addiction.
Lori
Jan 20, 2016 Lori rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016-s-books
What a great self-help book that incorporates God into helping me start on a track of not always seeking affirmation from people. Most of my life I struggled with fear of not pleasing people and the words offered in this book was eye opening. I can survive rejection. I have all I need in Jesus and I'm so glad this book was able to remind me of that, and to remind me to love what I have and not what I think might make other people happy with me. Great inspiration!!
Susan
Apr 02, 2013 Susan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very good book. Joyce is straightforward and direct. In this book she is encouraging us to overcome an addiction to people pleasing., not that there is anything wrong with pleasing others, but it can become a habit that controls our lives and we need to put pleasing God first. She explores the causes and outcomes of this addiction. The main cause is insecurity and low self-esteem.The answer? Knowing who you are in Christ!We are accepted and loved by God through faith in Jesus and that is really ...more
Susan Barnes
I have had this book on my shelf for some time before deciding to read it. I was in the habit of listening to Joyce's CD messages and didn't feel the need to also read her books. Plus I haven't felt like I have a problem with trying to please people.

However lately I've been doing less driving so haven't been listening to her CDs and thought perhaps there was something to be gained from reading about this issue. This proved to be true. While I don't have a major problem with people-pleasing, I re
Andrew Ar
Jan 12, 2016 Andrew Ar rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Best of Joyce Meyer ,i've met till now ..
The Arabic version is perfect which i have read ..
want to read it again and take notes for life ..
Paula
Jun 16, 2009 Paula rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a book that I read just after going thru a severe trama. It helped me to sort of make sense of how I feeling because this was very normal. The topics are diverse and as far as trama goes remember this -- this "whatever" has happened to you but don't let it control you any longer.

This book is good for the "right after phase" of abuse of course being safe in the meantime.
Janis
Feb 01, 2010 Janis rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The author outlines biblical principles to be utilized in overcoming rejection and disapproval from others. God approves of us and we are to "shake off" any words or actions from others that reflect rejection or disapproval. Gives concrete steps to take to heal yourself from needing or wanting approval from others.
Rae Vernon
Apr 15, 2013 Rae Vernon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Don't let the star rating I gave this book fool you. It is a good book. Half of what is written in it, I have heard in one of her sermons though. It is definitely a good read for those of us that put too much weight on what others think. It is a reminder that our standing with God is much more important.
Angelique
Oct 01, 2013 Angelique rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book changed me for the better. I learned to say no and not feel guilty of doing so, I also learned to accept critics and not get defensive, and lastly I learned that not everyone is going to agree with me or like me but that's something they have to take up with God.
Mary
Jul 13, 2008 Mary rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is probably my favorite book by Joyce Meyers. It's about putting God's approval above people, but of course, not in a rude way, ignoring people's feelings, but in a loving way. Help you not let people's opinions get in the way of the journey God put you on.

Adrienna
I did not realize how we are seeking for someone's approval. Joyce Meyers lays out it for real! I am a writer, always seeking for feedback, and if you think about it...I am seeking other people's approval!
Mel
Aug 17, 2015 Mel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Obviously, a self help book. Something I wish I had read earlier in my life. Very simply lays out the problem, with examples from her own life and others. She then encourages the reader to make the change. Every step is backed by Scripture, with the text written out and in easy to understand language (no KJV).

Mrs. Meyer also delves into the root cause of this addiction, which is the cause of many addictions in life. It isn't an easy fix to change the behavior without addressing the cause. If the
Sarah Lowe
It's about pleasing God not people.
Pau Hernández
May 01, 2015 Pau Hernández rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
No sé ni por dónde empezar... ¡Magnífico! La verdad es que no sé si es porque el tema me toca mucho a mí, pero hay que aceptarlo... Joyce Meyer es una mujer admirable, un gran ejemplo de superación y de entrega total a Dios. De verdad no encuentro las palabras para describir todo lo que pienso de este libro, pero haré mi mejor esfuerzo. Como ya he dicho en repetidas ocasiones, no me gustan estos libros de vida espiritual y pasos y demás, pero este libro tiene una narrativa muy fluida y en varias ...more
May
Feb 16, 2016 May rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I got this book because I thought the title sounded interesting. I had no idea about the background of the author.

Overall, the message presented and the thoughtfulness of the framework presented by Meyer is helpful for those that have not considered how approval addiction has impacted their life, family, personal and professional relationships. She provides specific examples on what approval addiction is, the need to control associated it with it and where it is derived from. Her examples of ho
John
Jan 10, 2010 John rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who struggle with seeking approval from others
Recommended to John by: found it at the library
If you constantly find yourself doing things to please other people, even doing things that you do not want to do, it is possible that you could have approval addiction.

Joyce Meyer is a religious preacher on television. If you want to free yourself from the self-imposed prison chains of constantly trying and failing to please the world, she will help guide you there. Be fore-warned, she guides you straight on a track to GOD.

God, in her, and this reader's view, IS the KEY to overcoming ANY addict
Mona Randall
Mar 15, 2016 Mona Randall rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I thoroughly enjoy reading Joyce Meyer's books. She is real about her past troubles, explaining how she came through it all with God's help. I can relate to her feelings of rejection, manipulation and how I too control where I can. With her Godly inspiration, I can become free in areas that I need release from because I am a work in progress.
BONDing over BOOKS
Approval Addiction: Overcoming Your Need to Please Everyone by Joyce Meyer. Are you a people pleaser? Do you measure your self-worth by how many people approve of you or your behavior? Do you feel that you need to get the approval of others to feel good? If you answered yes, or even maybe to any of these scenarios then reading Approval Addiction may be a book you consider reading.

However, we should be careful not to live our lives through the lens other people's "expertise" on how to "cure" us o
Linda
Jan 24, 2016 Linda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Do you find it more important to be liked than anything else? Is there someone you fear to upset? Can you take criticism? Joyce Meyer says this is all traced to approval addiction. The only approval you truly need is that of Jesus Christ. This is the lesson I learned reading this book.
Rebecca Lewitt
This was okay--not quite as life altering for me as the other books she's written that I've read (Anxious for Nothing and Battlefield of the Mind), but still interesting, helpful, scripture-filled and practical. I think it might really be perfect for people with various kinds of abuse in their past (verbal included, manipulations also, etc.); for me it helped me really look at what I would call the "pleasing man instead of God" mentality, which is what I was hoping for when I picked it up. But m ...more
Dsanchezmelo
Jan 26, 2016 Dsanchezmelo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of the books that after you finish it you need to think about it for a few days before starting a new one. It is amazing when God gives you the perfect words in the right moment to open your eyes to certain things you have been doing wrong. It is great to realize that I do not need to live for the approval of others but God's. "Whatever people think of us is between them and God and not our concern".
Gina
Jul 14, 2014 Gina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another life changer for me, from Joyce Meyer! I think many people suffer from approval addiction, and many times, it goes back to your childhood. Just do yourself a favor, and read this book.
Heidi
Mar 25, 2015 Heidi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think this book was well formed. Highly applicable to Christian people but not irrelevant to other people. Overall the theme is to get approval in the right ways from the right sources.
Judy
Mar 02, 2016 Judy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very interesting when you have the need to spread yourself very thin and make all engagements. Just saying "no thank you".
Sara Kemp
Jan 21, 2014 Sara Kemp rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mrs Meyer made it plain as day, what an extreme Approval Addict I am! I did not realize how many different areas of my life I was and still am, addicted to approval. This book brings light to those areas and helps me identify them and squash them before they become in-extiguishable. Great read! Everyone should pick up this one!
Amy
Apr 21, 2016 Amy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nutrition
Best book I've ever read. It set me free progressively. I revisit this book annually.
Christian Mom Reads: June's Group Read 1 7 Jun 04, 2015 09:50AM
  • The Everyday Life Bible: The Power of God's Word for Everyday Living
  • Love Your Life: Living Happy, Healthy, and Whole
  • Breaking Intimidation: Say "No" Without Feeling Guilty.  Be Secure Without the Approval of Man
  • Reposition Yourself: Living Life Without Limits
  • Be Angry But Don't Blow It: Maintaining Your Passion Without Losing Your Cool
  • Come Thirsty: No Heart Too Dry for His Touch
  • Unmerited Favor: Depending on Jesus for every success in your life
  • Become a Better You: 7 Keys to Improving Your Life Every Day
  • Are We Living in the End Times?
  • Get Out of That Pit!: Straight Talk about God's Deliverance
  • Fasting: Opening the Door to a Deeper, More Intimate, More Powerful Relationship With God
  • Stormie: A Story of Forgiveness and Healing
Joyce Meyer is a #1 New York Times bestselling author and one of the world's leading practical Bible teachers. Her nearly 100 books have helped millions of people find hope and restoration. Bestsellers include Living Beyond Your Feelings; Power Thoughts; Battlefield of the Mind; and The Confident Woman.

Joyce Meyer's broadcast Enjoying Everyday Life airs daily on hundreds of television networks an
More about Joyce Meyer...

“Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.” 40 likes
“I was afraid to let other make any decisions, because I had no confidence they would be concerned for me.” 19 likes