Autumn Winifred Oliver Does Things Different

Autumn Winifred Oliver Does Things Different

4.06 of 5 stars 4.06  ·  rating details  ·  63 ratings  ·  27 reviews
AUTUMN WINIFRED OLIVER prides herself on doing things her way. But she meets her match when she, her mama, and her pin-curled older sis, Katie, move in with her cantankerous Gramps. The Oliver gals were supposed to join Pop in Knoxville for some big-city living, but Gramps’s recent sick spell convinced Mama to stay put in Cades Cove, a place of swishy meadows and shady hol...more
Published October 14th 2008 by Delacorte Books for Young Readers (first published October 6th 2008)

Cindy Hudson
Autumn Winifred Oliver has a lot going on for an 11-year-old living in the tiny, mountain settlement of Cades Cove, Tennessee. She's waiting to move with her mom and big sister Katie to Knoxville, where her dad already lives and works. She'll miss the beautiful mountains she lives in, but in the 1930s the “big city” offers the allure of indoor plumbing, movie theaters and automobiles, all nearly non-existent in her neck of the woods. Everybody says she does things different, and she keeps remind...more
Erin Sterling
A historical fiction novel set in the real town of Cades Cove in the Appalachian Mountains of east Tennessee, this book about the tiny town being turned into a national park is told through the eyes of eleven-year old Autumn. She is sassy, fun, and determined, whether she’s filching explosives from the U.S. Government, riding an empty coffin down raging rapids, or scaring away mean boys by pretending to be a ghost. Well-written and engaging, this book would be a great read for upper elementary a...more
Addison Children
Autumn is looking forward to moving away from the backwoods Tennessee home that she has known all her eleven years and living in Knoxville, the heart of modern living (apparently) in 1934. Instead, she and her sister move in with Gramps who needs help following a brush with death. Gramps is working hard to promote a new national park very near their community that will make everyone rich from the tourists, little realizing the creation of Great Smoky Mountain National Park will actually displace...more
Read for professional review.
Mundie Moms & Mundie Kids
This book won my heart at being a historical novel, set in the mid 1920's in a real mountain town. I adored this story about Autumn Winifred Oliver. She is a sassy, down to earth, fun loving, do what ever she can to save her town kind of girl. She had me laughing out loud at her one liners and the way her story is told. This story is set in the small town of Cades Cove, TN in the Appalachian Mountains. It's a story about how those living in Cades Cove saw their tiny home town become part of The...more
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Julie M. Prince for TeensReadToo.com

Most folks wouldn't shove sticks in the beaks of geese to keep them from eating in their gardens, but Autumn Winifred Oliver does things different. In a mountain town so tiny it only has one road leading in and out, different is something folks in Autumn's parts don't always cotton to. But sometimes it takes a special kind of thinking to make things change, which is the one thing Autumn craves more than anything. Change.

Autumn seems to have a lot...more
Bridget R. Wilson
Autumn lives in Cades Cove, Tennessee during the Depression. She can't wait to leave the Cove for Knoxville. She longs for city living. Her grandfather's failing health ties her family to the Cove a little longer. Autumn acquires a sidekick in Cody, a boy from Knoxville staying with relatives in the Cove. She spies on Gramps as he promotes the National Park (when he thinks it will protect and enrich the Cove) and as he opposes it (when he discovers the Park will include the Cove).

What I thought:...more
Katieb (MundieMoms)
The Dreamer Reader
Normally, I don't read that much middle grade books, but I made an exception and I'm very glad I did. Autumn is a very awesome character and hilariously creative. Not only is she down to earth, she's spunky and surpringly relatable even though she's from a different time period.

Though a little bit slow in some parts, it made up for it by having a wide range of characters varying from the most interesting personalities. Autumn is not the only character that grabs your attention, Autumn's grouchy...more
Nancy
I just heard the author speak at my state school librarian conference. She is young and has a great future ahead of her. I loved the imagery in this book. Most of her similes were fresh and spot on for Autumn. Also the story was very interesting to me as a Tennessean and an occasional visitor to Cade's Cove. Great historical fiction for children. I will be recommending to my students.

So glad I reread this book in preparation for a Skype visit with the author. I really enjoyed the book the first...more
Fire
This is a funny and a humorous book.
I felt really good reading this.
And while I'm on the last few chapters reading it while i'm on school i couldn't fought back the tears that started to swell up on the back of my head.
It was always the worst scene at the ending of a story who tries to ruin your day sometimes.
But all in all it thought me a lot of things :)
I recommend this for everyone to read who once loved and lived a place (it can be a too-heavenly place with lots of natures in it) and was...more
Bridget
A fun piece of historical fiction. It would be sad if the heroine and her grandpa weren't so feisty and creative. They are about to lose their homes in the creation of the Smoky Mountain National Park, but their interactions with outsiders make the story amusing. The local color, colloquialisms, and superstitions all added to my enjoyment. What's funny is the first few pages weren't working for me. I considered not even finishing, so now I'm happy I stuck with it.
Lewis Buzbee
This is a sweet, perfect, and very very funny middle grade novel. It takes place in the Great Smoky Mountains during the Depression, and its hero--no better word for her--Autumn Winifred Oliver is a the center of a family and community crisis. It's not her job to be the hero, but she is, in a very real, very mature way. And like I say, laughs on every page, some hilarious slapstick and down-home humor that Tubb does with great grace. Read it now.
Tj Shay
When I read well-crafted books, I love to take time to enjoy how certain word choices pull the reader in to the story. This book is an excellent example of that. There were many times that I marveled at how a phrase took shape.

This is a great book and the story almost instantly pulls you in. I found myself laughing out loud at times and also deep in thought.
Heather
I'm a sucker for a good historical fiction novel and this one didn't disappoint. Autumn and her family live in the small (more like tiny) town of Cades Cove. However, the property is about to become part of the Great Smokey Mountains National Park" and Autumn isn't sure if she should be for the change or against it.
Betsy
One Sentence Review: I remember enjoying this as I was reading it so I wish the story had stuck with me just a smidgen more lo these many months later since I seem to have forgotten more than I've remembered.
Sandy Brehl
An intense family story, quirky main character, and political/business maneuvering make this story work on several levels. Authentic situations, culture, and concerns of 1930's era Appalachia.
Patricia
I can't wait to read Kristin's first middle-grade novel. I got to critique the first pages once, and the voice was distinct and true. To be released in Fall '08!
Pooja Dimba
The beginning was kind of dull. I really didn't like this book much. It was kinda weird and as the title says, 'Different.'
Kimberlea
Delightful book! Autumn is a determined, strong willed, very likeable character. Enjoyed the book from start to finish!
Julie Biles
Nov 08, 2012 Julie Biles marked it as to-read
This book received rave reviews from Mrs. Platt, one of our beloved substitute teachers and an avid reader as well.
Karen Arendt
Nice historical fiction on how the Great Smokey Mountains became a national park.
Joelle Anthony
Especially good if you've been to the Great Smokey Mountain National Park.
Rachel
Jan 09, 2009 Rachel marked it as to-read
Shelves: at-provo
Released Oct. 14, 2008; First time author
Edward Sullivan
Good story, Appalachian setting.
Andrea
Nov 14, 2009 Andrea marked it as to-read
tone too folksy?
Julie
Julie marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2014
Connie Steckel
Connie Steckel marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
The 13th Sign Selling Hope Freedom From Cruel And Unusual Punishment Craft Corner Art Studio (Holly Hobbie & Friends) Sunny Days (Holly Hobbie & Friends)