The Scandalous Life of a True Lady (Royce Lie Detectors)

The Scandalous Life of a True Lady (Royce Lie Detectors #2)

3.75 of 5 stars 3.75  ·  rating details  ·  111 ratings  ·  13 reviews
He’s a master of disguises— but he can’t mask true love

Spymaster Harry Harmon’s new assignment is to spy on enemies at a country house party. To do that, he’ll require a courtesan— learned, truthful, and beautiful...

Poor, sensible, smart Simone Ryland has come to Mrs. Burton’s bawdy house in search of work. But instead, she finds Harmon in need of her special “skills.”
Published June 3rd 2008 by Signet (first published 2008)

Christa
This book had a good story, but it was not your typical romance novel of today. There was tension and foreplay between the hero and heroine, but their physical relationship was never consummated. The characters were likeable, and the storyline was interesting, but the book was not the steamy, heated romance that I was expecting, which lessened my enjoyment.

Simone Ryland has managed to support herself and her brother since they were orphaned, but she is now in a dire predicament. After unpleasant...more
Julie (jjmachshev)
Barbara Metzger is a writer I can count on to deliver a few hours of pleasureable and entertaining reading. Her recent release "The Scandalous Life of a True Lady" was no exception. Her heroes are heroic and her heroines are smart. They each try to do the right thing and somehow find their way to each other in the process.

Harry is tired of his life as a disguised spymaster. He's decided to stage the death of that character so he can quit constantly looking over his shoulder. Everything's set, n...more
kris
Royce "Harry" Harmon can taste lies. Simone Ryland used to be a governess and now thinks she can make it as a courtesan. Harry hires herine; to help him complete his final mission, and they fall in love.

1. I really, really enjoyed this book. The semi-fantastical element (all the Royce men can 'sense' a lie--one by sight, one by taste, one by color) was played with a light hand: a simple statement of fact without a bunch of worried narrative to explain it. It was just well done and interesting a...more
skein
More a romantic novel than a Romance, but -- funny, sweet, thoughtful, without a speck of rape apology -- charmed me right out of my stockings.

(4-20? or something like that.)
Leslie
Second in the Truth trilogy, this book takes a look at the demi monde and the truth taster. While the courtesans have more freedom than the wives (almost captives) at the time, they certainly are not secure in their future without ample funds to be independent. Jealousy, mixed talents, plots, danger, and love mix to make this fast-paced read as enjoyable as the first in the series.
Gail
Yeah, it's a little on the silly side, but I liked it anyway. The hero is a bastard son of a family with the ability to discern whether someone is telling the truth. This hero gets a bad taste in his mouth if someone is lying. The heroine needs a job. Badly. I don't remember exactly why she does, but she does, and she's decided that becoming a courtesan is the way to go. But when she visits the brothel across the street from her rooming house, she's drawn into the hero's need for a courtesan to...more
Englishrose
Okay, this one is not quite as squeaky clean as most of the ones I review. Nothing is described in detail, but one or two things are tidily glossed over. Besides the fact that it is about a houseparty full of men with their mistresses. But, I'd still call it clean and very enjoyable. I love Harry's character and how he fights with his inner moral sense. Simone is fun and taciturn and made me smile the whole time. As well as having a romantic plot, there was some real excitement. The side charact...more
Meggie
Sep 16, 2013 Meggie marked it as did-not-finish
I borrowed a bunch of Barbara Metzger Regencies and finished most of them but this one...when the respectable young heroine just walked over to the neighboring brothel and was like "OH HAI CAN I BE A COURTESAN NOW" I was like NOPE. Done. I'm out. Barely finished the first one in this trilogy, but can't do this. Won't even attempt the third.

DNF.
Cary
Considering the topic, this book was quite clean and I thought it was a nice "Take Me Away from Reality" moment without being too brainless. Be warned that this is sort of a Book 2. Yeah, I didn't know Truly Yours is #1 and The Wicked Ways of a True Hero is #3
Sharyn
Truly enjoyed this because I loved the characters. Did not realize it was book 2 of a series and now must go find the others. 2 society misfits find each other; there are spies, courtesans, and eventually love. A happy ending for everyone.
Marisella
Nicely written regency romance. The characters are very likable, though they and the plot seem a little contrived
Margo Dubach
It was wonderful reading, but at the end of the book used "other world" ideas which I didn't like.
Jessica
It's an amusing read. The author is humorous and adds an element of fantasy to her work.
Jessie
Jessie marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2014
Sandra
Sandra marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2014
Desi Alonso
Desi Alonso marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2014
Susan
Susan marked it as to-read
Jun 07, 2014
Penny
Penny added it
Jun 04, 2014
Amy
Amy added it
May 30, 2014
Joanna
Joanna marked it as to-read
May 13, 2014
Susan
Susan added it
Apr 04, 2014
Rebecca
Rebecca marked it as to-read
Apr 01, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Barbara Metzger is the author of over three dozen books and a dozen novellas. She has also been an editor, a proof-reader, a greeting card verse-writer, and an artist. When not painting, writing romances or reading them, she volunteers at the local library, gardens and goes beach-combing and yard-saling.

Her novels, mostly set in Regency-era England, have won numerous awards, including the Romance...more
More about Barbara Metzger...
Miss Lockharte's Letters (Regency Romance) The Bargain Bride Ace of Hearts (House of Cards #1) Snowdrops and Scandalbroth (Regency Romance) Wedded Bliss