Start by marking “Where's My Mummy?” as Want to Read:
Where's My Mummy?

Where's My Mummy?

This gently spooky read-aloud treat is also a satisfying bedtime book — sure to delight the youngest reader on many a deep, dark night.

Little Baby Mummy wants just one more game of hide-and-shriek with Big Mama Mummy before bedtime. The night is deep and dark, full of friendly creatures that click their clacky teeth and whoosh past on flippy-floppy wings. But who will comf
Published July 3rd 2008 by Candlewick Press (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Where's My Mummy?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Where's My Mummy?

Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice SendakLeonardo, the Terrible Monster by Mo WillemsThe Monster at the End of this Book by Jon StoneEven Monsters Need Haircuts by Matthew McElligottThere's a Nightmare in My Closet by Mercer Mayer
Picture Books with Monsters
102nd out of 159 books — 42 voters
Midnight Poems by Amanda SpringerDread Night by Ryan AttardThe Short Life of Sparrows by Emm ColeStrings by Allison M. DicksonThe Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman
All Hallow's Read
60th out of 71 books — 23 voters

More lists with this book...

Christine Rains
Oct 21, 2014 Christine Rains rated it it was amazing
A wonderfully fun spooky children's story. My son's preschool teacher read it to the class and he had to bring it home to share with me and his daddy. The tale isn't scary and the illustrations are incredible. The baby mummy is very cute!
Jenna
Reminiscent of the story: Are You My Mother?. This story makes a wonderful seasonal book for young children. The characters are the scary sort: mummies, vampires, and werewolves--oh my! But they aren't too scary. Children will be able to help read the story as it has at least one very repetitive line. Students will like the surprise ending and it is likely to bring many smiles and lots of laughs.
Samantha Davis-durham
Mar 09, 2015 Samantha Davis-durham rated it it was amazing
A word to the wise if you're going to read this book out loud you must do it with a drink. saying the words "where is my mummy mommy " get you a little thirsty. My son and I liked it so much we had to read it 3 times in 2 days .
Stephanie  Weatherly
Nov 15, 2016 Stephanie Weatherly rated it it was amazing
This was a great Halloween read for my little ones. It had enough spooky elements to entertain them, but not make them scared. The repetition allowed them to feel like they were reading along.
Mariah
Oct 26, 2016 Mariah rated it really liked it
Very cute story that my students enjoyed.
Bella Emy
Oct 21, 2016 Bella Emy rated it it was amazing
Another fun Halloween read for the kiddos. Mine loved it.
Teala Lee
Oct 19, 2016 Teala Lee rated it it was amazing
Cute Halloween story with Little Baby Mummy playing hide and seek. Loved the illustrations.
Miss Sarah
Oct 14, 2016 Miss Sarah rated it liked it
Shelves: bedtime, halloween
A mummy and his mama where playing hide and seek when the baby mummy gets lost. He keeps running into scary Halloween things that he isn't scared by. Will he ever find his mummy or gets sacred? Loved that each scary thing is getting ready for bed. Preschool and up for length.
Rosa Cline
Oct 05, 2016 Rosa Cline rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids, halloween
This was a very cute story book told in the rhyming way that you would 'sing' "I'm going on a bear hunt" except it's about a child Mummy playing hide and seek with his Mummy and he gets lost... 'I'm not scared' he says and searches. along the way he encounters various other monsters and finally his mama... very cute. My adult special needs son giggled and at the end laughed out loud at this Halloween book.
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Jaglvr for Kids @ TeensReadToo.com

WHERE'S MY MUMMY? is the perfect book for the Halloween season.

Baby Mummy, like any small child, doesn't want to go to bed. He asks his Big Mama Mummy for one more game of Hide and Shriek. So while his mama counts, he goes off to hide.

Baby Mummy starts off his game in the cemetery, only to have a visitor come out and tell him to go to bed. Saying he's not scared, he ventures off into other scary places. Baby Mummy meets a variety of scary creatures
Jimna Carbone
Mar 19, 2015 Jimna Carbone rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Crimi, Carolyn. Where’s My Mummy? (2008). It is the spooky story of a little baby mummy and a Big Mama mummy who live in the cemetery. The little baby mummy wants to play hide and seek before going to bed with his mama mummy. So baby mummy tells him to count while he hides. He hides next to a tomb and waits…and waits…but she is not around. Where can she be? Baby mummy decides to look for her in the deep, dark woods. As he looks for mama mummy, he has an encounter with a skeleton, a Glob, a ...more
Dolly
Sep 13, 2012 Dolly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with younger children
This is a sweet tale about a little mummy looking for his mommy mummy. Reminiscent of Are You My Mother? by P.D. Eastman, but with a monster theme, this book is sure to entertain young children. It's a perfect bedtime read during Halloween, but it is not specifically about the holiday itself.

This story is too young for our girls now, but I enjoyed reading it. The adorable illustrations are not scary at all and the onomatopoeia is fun, too.
Josselin D
In the begining Baby Mummy wasn't sleepy,so he told Momma Mummy to play hide and go seek with him, she replyed "Ok", I'll count my bandages while you hide. Baby Mummy cheered "Yes". In the middle Baby Mummy was hiding and waiting for Momma Mummy to find him,meantime he got scared by the creepy creatures that were out in the wood.At the end Baby Mummy cryed for help to Momma Mummy,she came to get her son and they went back home to take a long sweet nap.
My schema is that I've played hide and go se
Caranna
Jul 25, 2013 Caranna rated it really liked it
Shelves: for-the-kiddies
Little Baby Mummy wants just one more game of hide-and-shriek before bedtime. As he searches through the night for Big Momma Mummy he finds lots of friendly Monsters.

My kids love this story. Although it is a good bedtime story around Halloween it is a great read all year long!

Where's My Mummu? is reminiscent of Are You My Mother? by P.D. Eastman, but with a monster theme. The adorable illustrations are not scary at all and the onomatopoeia is lots of fun.
Bianca A
Dec 19, 2011 Bianca A rated it it was amazing
My opinion of thisbook is that it was amazing.Its genre is fantasy because a mummy is talking and playing hide and go shrek.A quick retelling is that the little baby mummy wants to play hide and shrek and didnt want to go to bed so mama mummy agreed so the mom hid but little baby mummy couldnt find her.He wasnt scared of anything but at last there was a mouse and did scare and so the mom came out.
Emily
Dec 30, 2009 Emily rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-board
Cute Halloween-themed book with appropriately spooky fonts and icky creatures illustrated so as not to be frightening to the younger set. Interesting turnabout that of all the creatures he means, the little mummy is most scared of a mouse - kids will recognize the irony there. The most adorable illustration is the little mummy's teddy bear.

For more book reviews, visit my blog, Build Enough Bookshelves.
Oct 17, 2014 Jennifer rated it really liked it
A cute picture book about a mummy looking for his mummy. Works well for reading out loud with the repetitive storyline and the onomatopoeias. Baby mummy meets monsters, but they're not very scary and are made ridiculous by being dressed in pajamas. Good quick read with cute and colorful illustrations, fitting for Halloween.
Samantha
Sep 09, 2013 Samantha rated it it was ok
Reads a little like Is Your Mama a Llama where the Mummy is searching for its Mummy and rules out various Halloween creatures along the way. The story was just eh for me. Illustrations were done in gouache and tended toward the cutesy side of Halloween, which isn't really my thing. A suitable Halloween read aloud for PreK-2.
Liza Gilbert
Aug 14, 2009 Liza Gilbert rated it it was ok
This is a lite, lesser retelling of Eastman's classic "Are You My Mother?" When Baby Mummy loses his mother in a game of hide and shriek, he encounters one creature after another. The ending is happy with the obvious reunion, but there is no explanation for why Mommy Mummy disappeared. The illustrations are not able to carry the weak text, and it is ultimately a light book.
Sheila
Oct 01, 2014 Sheila rated it it was amazing
Baby mummy does not want to go to bed so he runs from his Mummy. He hears noises but he is not afraid. Finally a noise and an animal come out that scares him and he wants his Mummy. Mummy is there to save him.

I love this story. It is fun. Your little ones will enjoy it. The illustrations are fantastic. Look at them and see the little details there.
Brittany
Nov 03, 2012 Brittany rated it liked it
I liked the illustrations, I liked some of the repetitive phrases and page-turning surprises. Over-all, I was a little disappointed with this book. I had high expectations because of the title and play on mummy/mommy. The story was just okay though. That said, my four-year-old did like it and asked that we read it multiple times.
¤Leila | The Fiction Pixie¤
Simply put, this book is amazing. As a book that caters to the cute side of children's book but integrates a different genre than most are accustomed to seeing, I absolutely adored reading it. It encourages bravery and a special bond between mother and child. I think it is definitely worth the read, even if you're on the older side! It is hard to deny such a cute Baby Mummy after all.
Megan
Oct 26, 2012 Megan rated it it was ok
This book is cute, but my story time kids didn't seem as into it as I had hoped. This book probably was a little lengthy for my group (they are only two), but I decided to try it anyway. It is really fun to read aloud and do different voices for the characters. I would recommend it maybe for a preschool group as they may be able to sit through it better than the group I had.
Kelsey
Apr 24, 2013 Kelsey rated it liked it
Age: Preschool-Kindergarten

A nice, unique addition to bedtime stories. It was fun to see the monsters going through their own bedtime routines, especially the skeleton gargling goo (and having it drip through his jaw bone).
RC
Oct 28, 2014 RC rated it liked it
Where's My Mummy? is a cute Halloween tale about a baby mummy playing hide and seek with his mummy. He encounters spooky friends who all tell him to go to bed but where is he mummy? Read and find out who he meets and what scares him the most!
Heather
Oct 01, 2013 Heather rated it liked it
Shelves: own, halloween
52 months - Didn't Dr. Seuss or PD Eastman do a "Are You Mother?" Book? This Halloween version is cute but Halloween books are a dime a dozen with very few truly good unique and interesting ones. I don't feel like I have to have to own it.
Tamara
Nov 05, 2008 Tamara rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
So cute! During a game of Hide & Shriek, the mummy gets lost, and encounters scary monsters in the forest who are...AHHHHHHH!!!!...getting ready for bed.

My favorite part: The baby mummy with his matching mummy teddy bear.
Heather
Sep 24, 2009 Heather rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
My kids think this is such a funny book and for the first week carried it around everywhere we went. They still walk around saying "Where is my Mummy? You're not my Mummy" to each other. Overall cute story with a funny twist at the end.
Joenna
Jul 19, 2008 Joenna rated it it was amazing
Shelves: toddler, preschool
Little mummy is playing hide and seek with his mother. When he wanders too far, he meets all kinds of creatures like skeleton man, dracula, and a sea creature. He's not scared of anything...until he sees a mouse! Will his mommy be able to find him? Cute read-aloud.
Clairissa D
Where's my Mummy is a Halloween book about a baby mummy that has lost his mother and is own a search for her. On his search he runs into many ugly monsters and animals. All the while proclaiming that he has no fear.As he continous too fearlessly walk about the wood he finally finds his MUMMY!!!.
  • Ghosts in the House!
  • Miss Smith and the Haunted Library
  • Humbug Witch
  • Skeleton Hiccups
  • The Monsters' Monster
Carolyn Crimi, AKA the Pirate Queen, is the author of numerous books for young readers, including BORIS AND BELLA, illustrated by Gris Grimly. Of HENRY AND THE BUCCANEER BUNNIES, she says, "While I don't have long floppy ears or a pro-nounced overbite, Henry and I are kindred spirits, who love books and carrots!"
More about Carolyn Crimi...