Start by marking “Tormenting Thoughts and Secret Rituals: The Hidden Epidemic of Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder” as Want to Read:

Calling Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) a chemical disorder of the brain, Dr. Osborn (himself afflicted) explains how the disorder differs from addiction, worrying, and preoccupation.
Published March 10th 1998 by Pantheon (first published January 1st 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Tormenting Thoughts and Secret Rituals, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tormenting Thoughts and Secret Rituals

Teatum
Jun 17, 2014 Teatum rated it liked it
I usually don't read books like this, but this was a great supplement to an article I read recently. Easy reading, great writing style, helped me understand OCD a lot more.
Teresa
Oct 22, 2013 Teresa rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
As far as outlining the different types of OCD and the variety of treatments, this book was alright. It was interesting to learn that it is more of a physical disease than purely mental. If you're looking for something to make OCD easier to understand, than this is a good book for you. I gave it two stars because the author was too eager to make excuses for religion and suggested that leaning on it to deal with OCD was just as good as other therapies, and I simply don't agree.
Judy
Jan 29, 2013 Judy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a fantastic book. I was happy to find a book that described the 5 different types of obsessive behavior. It's not just handwashing and being orderly - neither of which I obsess about. It was comforting to know that other have the same kinds of thoughts that I do.

I will read this again and again. OCD is a term that is so lightly tossed around. It is comforting to read such a detailed book about what OCD REALLY is.
Anthony
Jul 19, 2016 Anthony rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ocd
Indispensable reading for anyone who suffers from or lives with someone suffering from OCD. I agree with other reviewers who said that this was a very accessible, compassionate book. Dr. Osborn writes from the viewpoint of both sufferer and helper. Truly compassionate. Awesome book.
Jay
Apr 03, 2008 Jay rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Incredible book that highlights the main symptoms of OCD. I was impressed that the author included a section about religiosity and it's affect on symptoms. One of the best, most comprehensive books on the topic of OCD I have read.
Vrinda Pendred
Aug 09, 2011 Vrinda Pendred rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Really good detailed explanation / examination of OCD, complete with a list of all the types of symptoms...which is fantastic in letting people know it's more than just hand-washing and counting.
Beth
I've read this at least twice and keep it in my library. It really educates the reader that obsessive compulsive disorder is so much more complicated than The Boy who Washes his hands ...
Katy
Oct 09, 2015 Katy marked it as started-but-haven-t-finished
I borrowed this from the library. Ran out of time to finish reading it. I enjoyed what I had read. Hope to finish it in the future.
Elizabeth Bat
Jan 11, 2008 Elizabeth Bat rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone suffering from ocd or other severe anxiety disorders
Recommended to Elizabeth by: my mother
Really helped me out, i was diagnosed before, but this book also helps family members.
Z.rob
made me feel a little less insane
informative and compassionate

great read
Bethany
ah ocd, how i love thee.
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Oct 01, 2016
Adam Cox
Adam Cox marked it as to-read
Sep 30, 2016
Jessica Wells
Jessica Wells is currently reading it
Sep 17, 2016
Ally Foster
Ally Foster marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2016
Melda
Melda marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2016
Tracey Lukkarila
Tracey Lukkarila rated it liked it
Sep 04, 2016
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2016
Kate
Kate marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2016
Bharat
Bharat rated it it was amazing
Aug 13, 2016
Alena
Alena marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2016
Jaime Duretz
Jaime Duretz rated it really liked it
Jul 10, 2016
Himanshu Tyagi
Himanshu Tyagi rated it really liked it
Jul 06, 2016
Katrina
Katrina marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2016
Craig Jones
Craig Jones marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2016
Dean
Dean added it
Jun 22, 2016
Tracy
Tracy rated it really liked it
Jun 21, 2016
Ashley
Ashley rated it really liked it
Jun 03, 2016
Mariel
Mariel marked it as to-read
May 16, 2016
  • The Imp of the Mind: Exploring the Silent Epidemic of Obsessive Bad Thoughts
  • Brain Lock: Free Yourself from Obsessive-Compulsive Behavior
  • The Mindfulness Workbook for OCD: A Guide to Overcoming Obsessions and Compulsions Using Mindfulness and Cognitive Behavioral Therapy
  • The Mindful Way Through Anxiety: Break Free from Chronic Worry and Reclaim Your Life
  • The Needs of the Dying: A Guide for Bringing Hope, Comfort, and Love to Life’s Final Chapter
  • Riding the Dragon: 10 Lessons for Inner Strength in Challenging Times
  • I Never Told Anyone: Writings by Women Survivors of Child Sexual Abuse
  • Attention Deficit Disorder: A Different Perception
  • Bedlam: A Year in the Life of a Mental Hospital
  • The Broken Mirror: Understanding and Treating Body Dysmorphic Disorder
  • The Wizard of Oz and Other Narcissists: Coping with the One-Way Relationship in Work, Love, and Family
  • The Essential Family Guide to Borderline Personality Disorder: New Tools and Techniques to Stop Walking on Eggshells
  • The Betrayal Bond: Breaking Free of Exploitive Relationships