Start by marking “There Was A Little Girl (Matthew Hope, #11)” as Want to Read:
There Was A Little Girl (Matthew Hope, #11)

There Was A Little Girl (Matthew Hope #11)

3.7 of 5 stars 3.70  ·  rating details  ·  363 ratings  ·  16 reviews
After Matthew Hope slips into a coma--the result of a drive-by shooting--his friends, private eye Warren Chambers and police detective Morris Bloom--must follow in his investigative footsteps to discover why he was shot. All signs point to the local circus--an underworld of offbeat sex, drugs, blackmail, murder, and in the center of it all, there was a little girl.
Published October 25th 1994 by Grand Central Publishing (first published September 7th 1994)

To ask other readers questions about There Was A Little Girl, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about There Was A Little Girl

Marti
Once again, this book is from the Matthew Hope series, which means that while it was written by Ed McBain, it isn't, in my estimation as good as the 87th Precinct series. Matthew Hope is in a coma--doesn't look good for him, so others have to pick up the clues as to what is going on in and out of the circus. Circuses tend to attract different, and sometimes weird characters. The question is: did Willa Winkie kill herself? and what happened to Peter Torrance? Morris Bloom and Warren Chambers look ...more
Kim Dempsey
This was a good fast read although I found it rather hard to follow. There were so many characters to follow. It was reminding me a little of Water for Elephants with the circus plot involved.
Steve
Well written, and non-pretensious detective novel. The plot is fairly interesting and the dialog is done well. I think this story is similar to what makes its way onto TV these days.

The story is told almost passively from the eyes of the primary character (who is in a coma) and the eyes of several detectives trying to figure out how he got that way.
Ed
This book has a nice mix of two mysteries to solve, an old case and a new one. Both were interesting enough and of course they end up tying in together. Lots of different threads and aspects to consider with there being no obvious solutions to the puzzle. A few nice subtle clues to the mystery that I appreciated.
David Ward
There Was A Little Girl (Matthew Hope #11) by Ed McBain (Warner Books 1994) (Fiction - Mystery). Attorney Matthew Hope is in a coma after being shot in the chest. It's up to his friends to figure out why. Snore. DNF. MY rating: 2/10, finished 2004.
Sylvia
I love it! I've read plenty 87th precinct novels with Steve Carella.so i was a bit reluctant to read something different.it was refreshing...Ed's a master!he does this with so much ease! But i love happy endings so the open end just depressed me..
Cashmrock
Long time reader of Ed McBain and this was an interesting story with multiple characters well described. Plot was developed well and kept my interest. Will look out for more "Matthew Hope" novels.
Athena
I think I mostly liked this book for the circus folk. I've tried to read McBain since then and couldn't get into it.
Lénia
A história vale 4 estrelas, mas esta edição está cheia de erros de tradução e gramática, daí as 3 estralas atribuídas.
Hendo
Carnies and drugs. What more could you ask for?
Chioma Uzoma
Different but nice...enjoyed it!
Chioma Uzoma
Good detective novel....enjoyed it!
Babete
( Era Uma Vez Uma Rapariga )
Partridge Public
McBain, Ed
Marcine Romero
Marcine Romero marked it as to-read
May 04, 2015
Paulette Odette
Paulette Odette marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2015
Elaine Mulligan
Elaine Mulligan marked it as to-read
Mar 29, 2015
JJ
JJ marked it as to-read
Mar 29, 2015
  • Candyland
  • Some Must Watch
  • Sprite's Secret (Pixie Tricks, #1)
  • Ties That Bind (Amanda Jaffe, #3)
  • Motor City Blue (Amos Walker, #1)
  • Honey and the Hired Hand
  • The Journey Back
  • A Place Called Rainwater (Jazz Age, #3)
  • Cut Throat (Cat Dupree, #2)
  • Clear and Convincing Proof (Barbara Holloway #7)
  • Fear of the Dark (Fearless Jones, #3)
  • Black Water (Merci Rayborn #3)
  • Tampa Burn
  • Uncle John's Great Big Bathroom Reader
  • The Riptide Ultra-Glide (Serge Storms, #16)
  • The Frost Fair (Christopher Redmayne, #4)
  • Virgin Heat
  • Last Call (Jack Daniels Mystery, #9)
Ed McBain is a pseudonym of Evan Hunter, who was born and raised as Salvatore Lombino in New York City, living in East Harlem until the age of 12, at which point his family moved to the Bronx. He attended Olinville Junior High School, then Evander Childs High School, before winning an Art Students League scholarship. Later, he was admitted as an art student at Cooper Union.

Hunter served in the Nav
More about Ed McBain...

Matthew Hope (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • Goldilocks (Matthew Hope, #1)
  • Rumpelstiltskin (Matthew Hope, #2)
  • Beauty And The Beast (Matthew Hope, #3)
  • Jack And The Beanstalk (Matthew Hope, #4)
  • Snow White and Rose Red
  • Cinderella (Matthew Hope, #6)
  • Puss in Boots
  • The House That Jack Built (Matthew Hope, #8)
  • Three Blind Mice
  • Mary, Mary
Cop Hater (87th Precinct #1) Ice (87th Precinct, #36) The Mugger (87th Precinct #2) Let's Hear It For The Deaf Man (87th Precinct, #27) Lady Killer (87th Precinct #8)

“lot of money over” 0 likes