Start by marking “Winona's Pony Cart (Deep Valley, #3)” as Want to Read:
Winona's Pony Cart (Deep Valley, #3)

Winona's Pony Cart (Deep Valley #3)

3.79  ·  Rating Details  ·  476 Ratings  ·  33 Reviews
Welcome back to Deep Valley!Winona Root is almost eight years old. More than anything in the world, she wants a pony for her birthday. She wishes so hard for a pony that she's sure to get one--at least, that's what she tells her friends Betsy, Tacy, and Tib. It's only when the exciting day grows near that Winona begins to wonder: What if her father meant it when he said sh ...more
Published April 5th 2000 by HarperCollins (first published 1953)

To ask other readers questions about Winona's Pony Cart, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Winona's Pony Cart

CLM
Winona is an outgoing girl with many enthusiasms who has been encouraged by her father and sisters to be a tomboy although this conflicts with her mother's ideas of what is suitable for a young girl in turn of the (20th) century Minnesota. The most appealing thing about Winona is her ability to make friends with everyone she meets, regardless of background or age. Her exuberance and perhaps thoughtlessness cause her to invite everyone she meets to her birthday party, upsetting her mother's caref ...more
Ginny Messina
Feb 19, 2009 Ginny Messina rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kidlit
I’m ashamed to say—-as a card-carrying member of the BTS—-that I had never read this book before. And I had fairly low expectations for it, picking it up only for the Maud-L group read. But wow—-I absolutely loved it! I liked Winona and couldn’t wait to find out what happened at her birthday party. It was fun to see BT&T as minor characters. Toodles the dog is a hoot, and I enjoyed the characterizations of Winona’s parents. What an unexpected treat!
Elaine
Sep 14, 2012 Elaine rated it really liked it
A sweet story. Set around Winona's eighth birthday party. Besty, Tacy, and Tib are in the story, but not the major characters. It's a short book, perfect for a seven or eight year old to read.
Renee
May 12, 2015 Renee rated it really liked it
Another adorable classic by Maud Hart Lovelace! Can't wait to continue her series!
Although this was a shorter book, and a side-story to the series, it was fantastic and I enjoyed it as much as the other Betsy-Tacy books I've read. Lovelace continues to write in her charming, cute way with her lovable characters and quaint settings.

Winona is on the eve of her birthday, and she wishes more than anything to get a pony as one of her gifts. She relays this request to her father, who dismisses the id
Shani
Apr 29, 2012 Shani rated it liked it
Shelves: own
Poor Winona. I thought she was very spoiled, but she seemed to have a lot of friends. 32 people at an 8 year old's party sounds like a handful!
Salsabrarian
Winonaâs eighth birthday is coming up and her family is planning her party with 15 kids invited. But unbeknownst to her mother, Winona extends oral invitations to other kids. She also has been loudly expressing her wish for a pony. Come party day, a whole slew of kids turns up. Confused but unfazed, Mrs. Root accommodates them all. The highlight of the party is the pony and cart that arrives. All the kids get to ride. Winona thinks itâs the pony sheâs wished for but it was only a rental for the ...more
Kelly Hager
Mar 07, 2012 Kelly Hager rated it really liked it
It's Winona's birthday (she's a minor character in the MG Betsy-Tacy books but I think---hope!---she has a bigger role in the YA ones) and all she wants in the world is a pony (and also a miniature printing press and a doll the size of a baby. But really just a pony). Her parents say no, but she tells everyone she's going to get a pony. Also, her mom invites 15 kids to the party but Winona invites a few more without telling anyone. (Like, say, every other kid she's ever met.) Oh, Winona.

This is
Treasa
This is a sweet book and enjoyable because it is about the world of Betsy-Tacy. But I just didn't like it as much as the other books about Deep Valley.

Winona is a spunky little girl who wants a pony for her 8th birthday. When her father hires a man to bring his pony and cart to the party to give the children rides, she thinks that the pony is actually for her. So when she finds out that the pony is not hers, she throws something of a tantrum, lying on the floor crying. And she gets her pony beca
Irene
Mar 27, 2014 Irene rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Elementary-school aged kids
Shelves: children
I think this book, in which Winona turns 8 years old, should be read in conjunction with the Betsy-Tacy series, after Book 2, Betsy-Tacy and Tib, in which Betsy, Tacy, and Tib are also 8 years old.

I enjoyed this book, and Winona's party makes for a fun read. But, I think part of the charm was that I was already so familiar with Deep Valley, so I'm not sure how it would hold up as a stand-alone book. Especially because - as much as I came to like her - Winona did seem awfully spoiled.
Susann
May 30, 2011 Susann rated it really liked it
Shelves: re-read, the-tomes
Our VSC enjoyed discussing this along with Betsy-Tacy and Tib, particularly because all of Winona's Pony Cart takes place between chapters 5 and 6 of BTT.

We had an interesting range of opinions, although I think we all agreed that this is the slightest of the series. Winona is spoiled, but she's also good-hearted and it must be hard to have a mother who is continually disappointed in your behavior. (Then again, I think Winona's mom is genuinely confused about how to handle her tomboy daughter, e
Patricia
Jul 25, 2015 Patricia rated it liked it
Shelves: j-books, read-in-2015
The last in my tour through the Betsy-Tacy World and one that I should have read early on, but did not because the numbering system is incorrect. (Continued grumblings.) Winona's birthday is coming up and she really, really wants a pony. Will she get one? Even though both her parents say she won't? Lots of good examples of trying to fit into feminine norms, even if you are a messy kid.
Ro Givens
Aug 07, 2011 Ro Givens rated it it was amazing
Although the other Deep Valley books are young adult novels (they take place after Betsy and Joe and before Betsy and the Great World) this is another children's novel that takes place around the time of Betsy-Tacy and Tib. It is a perfectly wonderful children's book that would make a great starter chapter book. Maud's books always have little life lessons surrounded by lots of fun and excitement.
Debbie
Nov 08, 2015 Debbie rated it really liked it
This book harkens back to the early reader level of the first Betsy-Tacy book. Lovelace captures childhood beautifully, although Winona is a bit spoiled.....
Shelley
Feb 27, 2009 Shelley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: youth, historical, vintage
2/09: Slight, but charming. Winona's spoiled and a little bratty, but she's not mean. I wasn't very fond of her in the main BT books, but I liked her here. I was a little startled at the neat ending, though. I'm glad I finally read this, but unlike Emily or Carney, I don't think I need to own or reread this one.

What's interesting to me is that in the main BT books at this time, the novels were short and still pretty fragmented. This is short, but a novel more like the older-age books. I'm also c
kris
Feb 18, 2014 kris rated it liked it
I don't think I was supposed to end the book thinking to myself, "Wow, Winona's kind of a spoiled brat!"
Tiffany Adams
Aug 08, 2014 Tiffany Adams rated it liked it
Shelves: jv, fiction
she is so spoiled. at least she isn't whiney. some good morals though
Jan 29, 2016 Laura marked it as cataloged
Shelves: childrens-series
betsy-tacy
Courtney
Jul 27, 2007 Courtney rated it really liked it
I wish I had this book as a child but unfortunately I did not read it until after high school, although I'm not saying I didn't enjoy it then. I just think I'd have a broader B-T perspective had I read it when I read them for the first time. Vera Neville is supreme when it comes to children's illustrations and she did a great job capturing these characters in the young years just as she did in the high school books.
Lisa Daleiden-brugman
Jun 18, 2014 Lisa Daleiden-brugman rated it really liked it
Sweet
Jan
Mar 06, 2009 Jan rated it it was amazing
Shelves: thebelovedtomes
Reread for the Maud-L Power Read. Winona's mother wants her to be more ladylike. Winona wants a pony. Winona's mother invites 15 children to Winona's 8th birthday party. Winona invites a few without telling her mother. Rich, full characters and a fun plot! btw: This is a great read-aloud book.
Kymm Zuckert
Mar 21, 2015 Kymm Zuckert rated it liked it
Reread. Definitely the least of all the Betsy-Tacy/Deep Valley books, but I was crying at the end, so that was pretty successful.
Luisa
Jul 26, 2015 Luisa rated it liked it
Shelves: 2015
Sweet story about another member of the Deep Valley "crowd." Winona was never my favorite, but it was fun to read this story about her and see another side of her character.
Megan
Jan 22, 2016 Megan rated it liked it
A charming look into the life of one of the little explored characters from the original series, a good addition to Lovelace's library.
Alicia
Aug 31, 2009 Alicia rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: fans of Betsy, Tacy and Tib
Recommended to Alicia by: my mom
I love the Betsy-Tacy books and this was a fun, sweet book by the same author (one of my favorite children's authors).
Kami
It was good to return to Deep Valley. And of course, Mrs. Lovelace's writing was wonderful, as always.
Jess
I have come to the conclusion that I do not get the geography of these books AT ALL, but still, charming!
Melissa
Apr 14, 2009 Melissa rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2009
It's a cute addition to the Betsy-Tacy series, but not nearly as good as the main books.
Deena
Apr 30, 2008 Deena rated it it was ok
Shelves: vintage-ya
I probably would have liked this one better if I had actually read it when I was young.
Kami
Sep 17, 2008 Kami rated it it was amazing
A fun, cute story I read aloud with my children. Zac even liked it.
Kate
Dec 11, 2009 Kate rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Betsy-Tacy fans
CUTE!! I never wanted a pony, but this was adorable.
  • The Betsy-Tacy Companion: A Biography of Maud Hart Lovelace
  • In the High Valley (Carr Family, #5)
  • Henry Reed's Big Show
  • A Garland for Girls
  • Meet the Malones
  • The Wouldbegoods (Bastable Children, #2)
  • Ashton Park (The Danforths of Lancashire #1)
  • Then There Were Five (The Melendy Family, #3)
  • The Rose Cottage Tales (Tumtum and Nutmeg #4-6)
  • The School at the Chalet (The Chalet School, #1)
  • A School of Her Own (Grandma's Attic #6)
  • All-of-a-Kind Family Downtown (All-of-a-Kind Family, #4)
  • The Secret Language
  • New Chronicles of Rebecca
  • The Black Star of Kingston
  • Flambards (Flambards, #1)
  • Practically Seventeen (Tobey Heydon, #1)
  • Tirzah
Maud Hart Lovelace was born on April 25, 1892, in Mankato, Minnesota. She was the middle of three children born to Thomas and Stella (Palmer) Hart. Her sister, Kathleen, was three years older, and her other sister, Helen, was six years younger. “That dear family" was the model for the fictional Ray family.

Maud’s birthplace was a small house on a hilly residential street several blocks above Mankat
More about Maud Hart Lovelace...

Deep Valley (3 books)
  • Carney's House Party (Deep Valley, #1)
  • Emily of Deep Valley (Deep Valley, #2)