Winona's Pony Cart (Deep Valley, #3)

Winona's Pony Cart (Deep Valley #3)

3.8 of 5 stars 3.80  ·  rating details  ·  386 ratings  ·  25 reviews
Welcome back to Deep Valley!Winona Root is almost eight years old. More than anything in the world, she wants a pony for her birthday. She wishes so hard for a pony that she's sure to get one--at least, that's what she tells her friends Betsy, Tacy, and Tib. It's only when the exciting day grows near that Winona begins to wonder: What if her father meant it when he said sh...more
Published April 5th 2000 by HarperCollins (first published 1953)

To ask other readers questions about Winona's Pony Cart, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Winona's Pony Cart

CLM
Winona is an outgoing girl with many enthusiasms who has been encouraged by her father and sisters to be a tomboy although this conflicts with her mother's ideas of what is suitable for a young girl in turn of the (20th) century Minnesota. The most appealing thing about Winona is her ability to make friends with everyone she meets, regardless of background or age. Her exuberance and perhaps thoughtlessness cause her to invite everyone she meets to her birthday party, upsetting her mother's caref...more
Ginny Messina
I’m ashamed to say—-as a card-carrying member of the BTS—-that I had never read this book before. And I had fairly low expectations for it, picking it up only for the Maud-L group read. But wow—-I absolutely loved it! I liked Winona and couldn’t wait to find out what happened at her birthday party. It was fun to see BT&T as minor characters. Toodles the dog is a hoot, and I enjoyed the characterizations of Winona’s parents. What an unexpected treat!
Elaine
A sweet story. Set around Winona's eighth birthday party. Besty, Tacy, and Tib are in the story, but not the major characters. It's a short book, perfect for a seven or eight year old to read.
Shani
Apr 29, 2012 Shani rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: own
Poor Winona. I thought she was very spoiled, but she seemed to have a lot of friends. 32 people at an 8 year old's party sounds like a handful!
Kelly Hager
It's Winona's birthday (she's a minor character in the MG Betsy-Tacy books but I think---hope!---she has a bigger role in the YA ones) and all she wants in the world is a pony (and also a miniature printing press and a doll the size of a baby. But really just a pony). Her parents say no, but she tells everyone she's going to get a pony. Also, her mom invites 15 kids to the party but Winona invites a few more without telling anyone. (Like, say, every other kid she's ever met.) Oh, Winona.

This is...more
Treasa
This is a sweet book and enjoyable because it is about the world of Betsy-Tacy. But I just didn't like it as much as the other books about Deep Valley.

Winona is a spunky little girl who wants a pony for her 8th birthday. When her father hires a man to bring his pony and cart to the party to give the children rides, she thinks that the pony is actually for her. So when she finds out that the pony is not hers, she throws something of a tantrum, lying on the floor crying. And she gets her pony beca...more
Irene
Mar 27, 2014 Irene rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Elementary-school aged kids
Shelves: children
I think this book, in which Winona turns 8 years old, should be read in conjunction with the Betsy-Tacy series, after Book 2, Betsy-Tacy and Tib, in which Betsy, Tacy, and Tib are also 8 years old.

I enjoyed this book, and Winona's party makes for a fun read. But, I think part of the charm was that I was already so familiar with Deep Valley, so I'm not sure how it would hold up as a stand-alone book. Especially because - as much as I came to like her - Winona did seem awfully spoiled.
Susann
Our VSC enjoyed discussing this along with Betsy-Tacy and Tib, particularly because all of Winona's Pony Cart takes place between chapters 5 and 6 of BTT.

We had an interesting range of opinions, although I think we all agreed that this is the slightest of the series. Winona is spoiled, but she's also good-hearted and it must be hard to have a mother who is continually disappointed in your behavior. (Then again, I think Winona's mom is genuinely confused about how to handle her tomboy daughter, e...more
Ro Givens
Although the other Deep Valley books are young adult novels (they take place after Betsy and Joe and before Betsy and the Great World) this is another children's novel that takes place around the time of Betsy-Tacy and Tib. It is a perfectly wonderful children's book that would make a great starter chapter book. Maud's books always have little life lessons surrounded by lots of fun and excitement.
Shelley
2/09: Slight, but charming. Winona's spoiled and a little bratty, but she's not mean. I wasn't very fond of her in the main BT books, but I liked her here. I was a little startled at the neat ending, though. I'm glad I finally read this, but unlike Emily or Carney, I don't think I need to own or reread this one.

What's interesting to me is that in the main BT books at this time, the novels were short and still pretty fragmented. This is short, but a novel more like the older-age books. I'm also c...more
Megan
A charming look into the life of one of the little explored characters from the original series, a good addition to Lovelace's library.
kris
I don't think I was supposed to end the book thinking to myself, "Wow, Winona's kind of a spoiled brat!"
Tiffany Adams
she is so spoiled. at least she isn't whiney. some good morals though
Courtney
I wish I had this book as a child but unfortunately I did not read it until after high school, although I'm not saying I didn't enjoy it then. I just think I'd have a broader B-T perspective had I read it when I read them for the first time. Vera Neville is supreme when it comes to children's illustrations and she did a great job capturing these characters in the young years just as she did in the high school books.
Jan
Reread for the Maud-L Power Read. Winona's mother wants her to be more ladylike. Winona wants a pony. Winona's mother invites 15 children to Winona's 8th birthday party. Winona invites a few without telling her mother. Rich, full characters and a fun plot! btw: This is a great read-aloud book.
Alicia
Aug 31, 2009 Alicia rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: fans of Betsy, Tacy and Tib
Recommended to Alicia by: my mom
I love the Betsy-Tacy books and this was a fun, sweet book by the same author (one of my favorite children's authors).
Jess
I have come to the conclusion that I do not get the geography of these books AT ALL, but still, charming!
Melissa
It's a cute addition to the Betsy-Tacy series, but not nearly as good as the main books.
Deena
I probably would have liked this one better if I had actually read it when I was young.
Kami
A fun, cute story I read aloud with my children. Zac even liked it.
Glorious.Clio
Dec 11, 2009 Glorious.Clio rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Betsy-Tacy fans
CUTE!! I never wanted a pony, but this was adorable.
Karla
Another one I would love to read with Lizzy.
Angie
Swing and a miss for Lovelace.
Kelly
My least favorite BT!
Terri
Terri added it
Aug 20, 2014
  • The Betsy-Tacy Companion: A Biography of Maud Hart Lovelace
  • In the High Valley (Carr Family, #5)
  • A Garland for Girls
  • Then There Were Five (The Melendy Family, #3)
  • Henry Reed's Babysitting Service
  • The Wouldbegoods (Bastable Children, #2)
  • Tumtum & Nutmeg: The Rose Cottage Tales (Tumtum and Nutmeg, #4-6)
  • Flambards (Flambards, #1)
  • The School at the Chalet (The Chalet School, #1)
  • Ashton Park (The Danforths of Lancashire #1)
  • The Moffat Museum (The Moffats, #4)
  • A Pair of Red Clogs
  • The Twenty-Four Days Before Christmas (Austin Family, #3)
  • All-of-a-Kind Family Downtown (All-of-a-Kind Family, #2)
  • Mother
  • The Gambling Man
  • Sue Barton, Student Nurse (Sue Barton, #1)
Maud Hart Lovelace was born on April 25, 1892, in Mankato, Minnesota. She was the middle of three children born to Thomas and Stella (Palmer) Hart. Her sister, Kathleen, was three years older, and her other sister, Helen, was six years younger. “That dear family" was the model for the fictional Ray family.

Maud’s birthplace was a small house on a hilly residential street several blocks above Mankat...more
More about Maud Hart Lovelace...
Betsy-Tacy (Betsy-Tacy, #1) Betsy-Tacy and Tib (Betsy-Tacy, #2) Betsy and Tacy Go Over the Big Hill (Betsy-Tacy, #3) Heaven to Betsy (Betsy-Tacy, #5) Betsy and Tacy Go Downtown (Betsy-Tacy, #4)