Start by marking “Ojo” as Want to Read:
Ojo

Ojo

Annie has terrible luck with pets. She's killed hamsters and mice and lizards and birds. For a domesticated animal, getting Annie as an owner is akin to a death sentence. But when Annie finds a little beastie in a drain pipe named Ojo, has her karma really changed or is she destined for more disappointment?

Published December 25th 2006 by Public Square Books (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Ojo, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ojo

Dan Schwent
Apr 11, 2016 Dan Schwent rated it it was amazing
Annie was living with her grandpa and sister after the death of her mom when she found Ojo, a strange little tentacled creature and made it her pet. Since Ojo only drew nourishment from its mother, Annie begins feeding the mother roadkill and things. Or is Ojo just a way of coping with her mother's death...

Ojo has a lot of similarities with the Maxx. While there are monsters, it's really a story about coping with loss. Annie and her sister both refuse to talk about their mother's death. Ojo, whi
new_user
Oct 17, 2009 new_user rated it liked it
Recommended to new_user by: Kathryn
Shelves: graphic-novel
Jen
Jan 19, 2008 Jen rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
A darling (but distraught) little girl finds a bizarre monster baby that she takes in as a pet to help her deal with the death of her mom. It's bizarre and sweet and a little scary and touching all at once.
Zena V.
Jul 25, 2016 Zena V. rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comix-d0ne
I read this years ago but I still think of it as one of my favourite comics, and probably the reason I love Sam's work so much (actually - consciously, the REAL reason is probably Preludes & Nocturnes). I'm going to guess the date as 2008 when I read it, it may be wrong.

Edit: Re-read 2016, the timing might have been wrong for it to hit me the way it did once upon a time, but it was still good.
Kristy
Sep 23, 2011 Kristy rated it really liked it
Annie's mum died recently, she and her sister are living with her grandfather for a while. Annie doesn't have much luck with pets (they keep dying!) until she finds Ojo, a strange creature that draws strength from its mum. It's all very weird but in a way Ojo helps Annie to let go of her mum. Really sad and touching.
Jim
Sep 21, 2008 Jim rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own
fantastic "slice of life" style comic about a little girl getting over her mother's death.
Sean
Jan 29, 2015 Sean rated it did not like it
As a longtime Sam Kieth admirer, this is really tough for me to say, but Ojo reeks. While this isn't the first time he's dealt with a very young protagonist, going through emotions more complicated than they deserve, it's the only time he's lost my attention along the way. Nearly all of Kieth's earlier creator-owned work is densely layered with a twinge of sadly genuine introspection, but by comparison this just feels like a shallow retread of ground he's already covered. Annie really isn't that ...more
Luke Baldock
Jul 23, 2011 Luke Baldock rated it really liked it
A lovely little modern fairytale. This is the kind of book I would have liked when I was much younger. I still loved it, but the darkness reminded me of early Tim Burton films, and the TV show Are You Afraid of the Dark?. Ojo tells the story of a young girl and her bitchy sister. They have recently lost their mum and been left in the care of their grandfather. Annie (our protagonist) expresses herself via her dead pets, all of whom she ended up killing in some way. These pets recur as a trio of ...more
Jessalyn King
Dec 28, 2015 Jessalyn King rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel
This was mega creepy... I'm glad I didn't leave it too late in the day. I have time to read something cute or sweet before get ridiculous nightmares. I really thought Annie was going to do it... Bah. Once again, I'm really not sure why I ended up buying this book... Not usually my thing. It was good, but I won't be re-reading.
Nick
Mar 07, 2010 Nick rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
A cute, short, entirely black and white Sam Kieth work about a little girl dealing with her jerkface older sister, her mother's death and raising a pet without accidentally killing it. Oh yeah, the pet is a baby one eyed tentacle monster.

Cameos by a scary trout man and various taxidermied animals.
Devowasright
another trip into the twisted mind of sam keith. while sharing several thematic elements with The Maxx, it definitely stand on its own, and presents its own parade of bizarre and inexplicable characters, all wrapped up in the life of a sad little girl who is learning to deal with loss beyond her years.
Dony Grayman
Dec 26, 2014 Dony Grayman marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: decto, fegrande, ed-esp
Edición española.
Colección Made in Hell 7.
Kris Larson
Sam Kieth is so beautifully weird. He perfectly captures the matter-of-fact weirdness of childhood imagination in this one, but not in an annoying Disney way. More in a freaky, wow, HA! kind of way. Come for the wonderful little girl, stay for the giant trout.
Jay Westermann
Jan 19, 2011 Jay Westermann rated it it was amazing
I read this book in the hospital, during a really hard time in my life. I kept me balanced in my own way. For anyone stuck in a hospital room I suggest this Sparklehorse (band, RIP Mark Linkous), and Fables The Good Prince. It helped smooth things over.
Russell Grant
Jul 29, 2011 Russell Grant rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sam knocks another one out of the park with this one. Looks like a monster book, but is actually the story about a little girl dealing with the loss of a parent. A very effectively told one as well. And there is a nice touch of monster in it...
Tyler
Aug 12, 2014 Tyler rated it liked it
A bit out there, but of course it is written by Sam Keith. A touching, if strange, story about loss and an intimate look at how a family deals with it told through a fairy tale type setting.
Kathryn
Oct 10, 2009 Kathryn rated it really liked it
I had some problems with the scritchy scratchy art but the writing, story, and characters were excellent.
Alison
Nov 02, 2012 Alison rated it it was ok
I read this in English. They only had the spanish version listed
Emily
creepy, strange, upsettting, odd
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 23, 2016
Sarah rated it it was amazing
Sep 20, 2016
Chema Santos
Chema Santos rated it liked it
Sep 08, 2016
Bethany
Bethany rated it it was ok
Sep 07, 2016
Tom
Tom added it
Sep 04, 2016
LP
LP rated it it was amazing
Aug 23, 2016
Christine K
Christine K rated it liked it
Aug 10, 2016
Amy Bailey
Amy Bailey marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2016
Beetrack
Beetrack rated it really liked it
Jul 16, 2016
  • Popgun, Vol. 1
  • Wet Moon Volume 5: Where All Stars Fail to Burn
  • I Feel Sick #1
  • Wormwood, Gentleman Corpse, Vol. 2: It Only Hurts When I Pee
  • Sky Doll (Sky Doll, #1-#3)
  • Pop Gun War Volume 1
  • Mind the Gap, Volume 2: Wish You Were Here
  • The Next Day: A Graphic Novella
  • True Faith
  • The Dead Boy Detectives
Kieth first came to prominence in 1984 as the inker of Matt Wagner's Mage, his brushwork adding fluidity and texture to the broad strokes of Wagner's early work at Comico Comics. In 1989, he drew the first five issues of writer Neil Gaiman's celebrated series The Sandman, but felt his style was unsuited to the book (specifically saying that he "felt like Jimi Hendrix in The Beatles") and left, han ...more
More about Sam Kieth...