Start by marking “The Maxx, Vol. 5” as Want to Read:
The Maxx, Vol. 5

The Maxx, Vol. 5 (The Maxx #5)

4.37  ·  Rating Details  ·  495 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
The long-awaited fifth volume completing the story of the Maxx, Julie, Mr. Gone and Sarah! Julie and li'l Sarah encounter a slew of new characters, but can both of them survive the experience? Glory's story is finally revealed, Megan shares a special moment in her life, and much more in issues #28-36 of THE MAXX!
Published October 1st 2005 by Wildstorm (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about The Maxx, Vol. 5, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Maxx, Vol. 5

Dan Schwent
Apr 12, 2016 Dan Schwent rated it really liked it
In the fifth volume, things come to a head. Sara goes to her outback with Mr. Gone as her guide in an effort to fix it. Dave becomes The Maxx again and Julie and her son help Gone in the aftermath of Sara's trip to the Outback. The saga of The Maxx finally comes to a conclusion.

The last volume of the regular Maxx series ties up all the loose ends. Finding out the connection between all the characters is both a revelation and a forehead slapping moment. While to the casual reader, The Maxx is jus
The_Mad_Swede
May 06, 2016 The_Mad_Swede rated it really liked it
This fifth volume of Sam Kieth's The Maxx collects issues #28–35, which is to say the final eight issues of the comic, and it does bring the story to an ending of sorts (I say "of sorts" since there is a sixth volume collecting some other the Maxx related material).

As I wrote in my review of volume four, The Maxx is not your regular superhero book (even though it is a superhero book) and it is perhaps because of this the series felt fresh when it was first released. Kieth definitely set out to d
Alazzar
Jun 11, 2015 Alazzar rated it liked it
At a certain point while reading this book I realized that Sam Kieth's story had really strayed from what had originally excited me about The Maxx: the sense of wonder and mystery.

To some extent, this was unavoidable. After all, you can't just leave questions unanswered indefinitely: eventually you have to start explaining things. And when Kieth did, back in volume three, it was wonderful. But now that we have some idea of what's going on--now that the wild, not-quite-sane world of The Maxx make
Gary Lee
Dec 16, 2008 Gary Lee rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, fun-reads
I have no idea what the hell happened in this one. Sam Keith is either a complete genius or has absofuckinlutely no idea how to get his story out of the corner he backed it into.
Rodney Wilder
Sep 29, 2009 Rodney Wilder rated it it was amazing
Sam Kieth creates such a twisted, darkened vision of the world we live in, yet it is wholly accurate. Injecting The Maxx with equal degrees of realism and fantasy, the story comes to life magnificently. The fragmented, fragile states of the characters is mirrored in the fluctuating artistic mediums used throughout the comics, to create an entirely magical hallucinatory trip for the reader.

As far as storyline, Kieth tugs at heartstrings, bringing the reader to a place not dissimilar to that of Ju
Magila
Nov 11, 2012 Magila rated it liked it
The transition from sloppy, early stage, to polished art, was a welcome change. This installment seemed to be headed in the right direction, and then a slew of randomness was inserted. By the end, you had some resolution related to the main story arch. However, I personally became so confused and distracted by other stories in this collection that I was more interested in making it through them than enjoying them.

I'm glad to have some clear idea in the end of the author's intentions, but also w
Jesse
Jul 04, 2014 Jesse rated it it was amazing
Good
David
Aug 02, 2009 David rated it really liked it
Mel
Dec 31, 2013 Mel rated it really liked it
I must admit I didn't care for this as much as volume 4. The story was disconnected and there were lots of different characters. But I did really love one of the stories about a young queer girl growing up whose only refuge was the library.
Matt
May 31, 2009 Matt rated it really liked it
What an unorthodox, surreal, utterly personal way to end this book. I've always liked Sam Kieth's work, but reading this series has made me a true fan. Can't wait for volume six to get to my house.
Noel
Feb 14, 2015 Noel rated it it was ok
Just not enough Maxx. The rush to tie it all up left too much time chasing down each thread in a distracting and unsatisfied muddle.
JZ
Mar 18, 2007 JZ rated it really liked it
I'm actually currently on Volume 4, which also actually deserves the 4-star rating. I'm skeptical that V.5 will be as good.
Lua Limaverde
Jul 20, 2012 Lua Limaverde rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
Review aqui.
Tom Barker
I heard its not really about the Maxx towards the end?
Charlie Wesley
Charlie Wesley marked it as to-read
May 24, 2016
Agustin Schiavon
Agustin Schiavon rated it it was amazing
May 19, 2016
Christopher
Christopher rated it liked it
May 17, 2016
Georgia Dunn
Georgia Dunn rated it it was amazing
May 12, 2016
Francorum Martinezku
Francorum Martinezku marked it as to-read
May 11, 2016
Igor Toscano
Igor Toscano rated it it was amazing
May 07, 2016
Justin
Justin rated it liked it
May 02, 2016
Kendall Moore
Kendall Moore marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2016
A.B.
A.B. added it
Apr 08, 2016
Michael LeMoine
Michael LeMoine marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2016
Brandon Stansbury
Brandon Stansbury marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2016
Marcy
Marcy added it
Apr 02, 2016
Hazelmaddie
Hazelmaddie marked it as to-read
Mar 30, 2016
Zhera Paaverud
Zhera Paaverud marked it as to-read
Mar 26, 2016
Randy
Randy added it
Mar 15, 2016
Brian Ravkind
Brian Ravkind rated it liked it
Mar 09, 2016
  • The Killer, Volume One
  • Brooklyn Dreams
  • The Collected Sam and Max
  • Amazing Spider-Man: Ultimate Collection Book 1
  • The Tick: The Naked City
  • Northlanders, Vol. 5: Metal and Other Stories
  • GloomCookie, Volume 2 (GloomCookie, #2)
  • Pop Gun War Volume 1
  • The Invisibles, Vol. 7: The Invisible Kingdom
  • B.P.R.D., Vol. 3: Plague of Frogs (B.P.R.D., #3)
  • More Red Meat: The Second Collection of Red Meat Cartoons
  • Penny Arcade Volume 5: The Case Of The Mummy's Gold
  • Orc Stain, Vol. 1
  • Der mechanische Prinz
  • Incorruptible, Vol. 2
  • The Cat with a Really Big Head: And One Other Story That Isn't as Good
  • Johnny the Homicidal Maniac: Director's Cut
  • The Sign of the Black Rock (Three Thieves, #2)
Kieth first came to prominence in 1984 as the inker of Matt Wagner's Mage, his brushwork adding fluidity and texture to the broad strokes of Wagner's early work at Comico Comics. In 1989, he drew the first five issues of writer Neil Gaiman's celebrated series The Sandman, but felt his style was unsuited to the book (specifically saying that he "felt like Jimi Hendrix in The Beatles") and left, han ...more
More about Sam Kieth...