Start by marking “Lone Wolf and Cub, Vol. 28: The Lotus Throne” as Want to Read:
Lone Wolf and Cub, Vol. 28: The Lotus Throne

Lone Wolf and Cub, Vol. 28: The Lotus Throne (Lone Wolf and Cub #28)

4.67 of 5 stars 4.67  ·  rating details  ·  445 ratings  ·  25 reviews
What exactly needs to be said in solicitation copy for the VERY LAST VOLUME OF LONE WOLF AND CUB? It's the moment you've all been waiting years and years to read. It's the end of the long path the ronin father and son have been on since the boy's birth. Through unimaginable violence and bad weather, across hundreds of miles of blood-soaked roadbeds, over years of tragedy a ...more
Published January 14th 2003 by Dark Horse Manga (first published January 9th 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Lone Wolf and Cub, Vol. 28, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lone Wolf and Cub, Vol. 28

Timmy
I would give this ten stars if I could. What a great conclusion to this monumental series. It's rare that I read a collection that gets incrementally better but the further I progressed through this story the more engrossed I became. The final ten or so TPBs were simply brilliant, introducing new but nonetheless fully fleshed out story threads and characters. I would greatly recommended this series to anyone interested in historical fiction or just epic storytelling. Lots of great information on ...more
Dan Gorman
Powerful. After 8300 pages of combat, betrayal, and treachery, I've reached the end of the story. Ogami Itto and his son Daigoro face off against Yagyu Retsudo while the nation looks on.

I had questioned some of the writing choices in previous volumes - sometimes the antics of the new villain, Abeno-Kaii Tanoshi, in Vols. 20-26 were tiring - but now at the end, it all makes perfect sense. The Buddhist concept of karma drives the last eight volumes of the series. Itto had been framed for treason
Jeff Lanter
Now that I've read this whole series, here some of my final thoughts on it:

Epic is a word that is overused, but this series is certainly that. The story unfolds slowly, but never in a boring way. It teases you and keeps you wanting to read more. The action is incredibly well-drawn and makes the book worth reading for that alone. I liked the ending very well and thought it fit the tone and story as a whole. While each volume reads pretty fast, this series is a commitment of time and energy and I'
William Hanley
A perfect, satisfying ending to a beautiful series. I haven't read a huge amount of historical fiction. But I can say that Lone Wolf and Cub is the best work of historical fiction I have ever read. Most samurai stories I've read or seen were more about gory violence and sexy women. While of course Lone Wolf and Cub has plenty of this, I learned so much more like:

- politics of Edo period Japan
- the chivalry and honor in Bushido
- beliefs and rituals of Buddhism (I think Shinto, but maybe Zen too?)
Alex Sarll
And so it ends. I'm not sure I've read 28 volumes of any single story before (Discworld doesn't count, not having originally been planned as an epic, nor any character passed around like the big superheroes). Even the Famous Five never made it to 28, at least not in Blyton's hands. This samurai manga may be the prince of its genre, but it's too bloody long, it moves into its endgame too soon, and sometimes it was just plain stupid. Nevertheless, Kojima's art always provided a gravity and a grand ...more
Seth
This book actually broke my heart. I wasn't the same for weeks. Somewhere around book 15, this series grabs you by the boo-boo and won't let you go until you have been emotionally manhandled. This series is WORTH EVERY MINUTE of reading.
Mike Robbins
I cried like a baby. No joke.
Helmut
Vater und Sohn, auf ewig

Der letzte Band, und so sehr ich ihn in Ruhe genießen wollte, so atemlos bin ich durch die Geschichte gerast. Das Erzähltempo ist unglaublich, der letzte Kampf der beiden großartigsten Krieger ihrer Zeit unerträglich spannend.

Die einzelnen Geschichten, "Corpse Tree", "Flute and Wave", "The Lotus Throne", "Empty Stirrups" und schließlich "Arms" sind nicht mehr voneinander zu trennen, und ich bin begeistert, wie der Kampf alle Beobachter, vom Bettler am Straßenrand bis zum
Mikail Persson
Many manly tears were shed upon finishing this. It really felt like a special era of my life was ending as the story concluded. It was so difficult to say goodbye, I had to re-read the last few pages over and over to accept that it was finally over. It was a magnificent, enthralling experience.

This volume is especially valuable when you compare it to just how badly a lot of modern sagas/series just get completely stuffed up right at the end. This was poignant, beautiful and satisfying beyond wh
Scott
Feb 13, 2014 Scott rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: manga
I'm sad to see this series end. Beautiful art, gripping storytelling, and an education in the culture and history of Edo Japan. Really, what is there not to like about it. A definitive five stars for the series!
Martyn
This is a sensational ending volume for this series, it delivers everything I could have hoped for and does not let the reader down one little bit. I would give this ten, fifteen, twenty stars if I could, it's that good. It even stays true to the wider Japanese idea of tragedy, heroism and (view spoiler), not that I should be surprised – it didn’t miss a step in depicting historical/thematic elements once in the twenty-eight volumes!

This series has been so
Nicholas
The only negative thing I have to say about this book is that it was the final one, I have read the entire series three or four times now, and often pick a volume at random to re-read. Absolutely epic all the way through, and the conclusion will make you cry. Just sorry I did not find this 20 years ago.
Michael
Great conclusion to the series, with an ending that wasn't quite what I expected. In the last few volumes or so, the series shifts tone a bit, and you see the antagonist in a different light. Not enough for you to want to cheer him on of course, but you certainly look at him differently.
Michael
I haven't posted reviews for the last ten volumes or so, but I felt compelled for this volume.

This ends the Lone Wolf and Cub series with a heartfelt ending that is truly fitting with the code of the samurai.
Pedro
There are no words for this manga.

If you're reading this, as you're considering to buy it/read it, DON'T HESITATE!
I've read many stories, but almost none could compare to this one!
Brian
Feb 27, 2008 Brian rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: manga
What a remarkable series this has been. I can't think of any other way it could have ended. I truly enjoyed the very cinematic storytelling....it was almost story-boarded.
Veronika KaoruSaionji
GREAT manga! Magnificent both story and art!
One of the best mangas/graphic novels which I ever read...
Yonit
Feb 05, 2008 Yonit added it
There are 28 books in this series and over the past year and a half or so I have read them all twice.
L
Read what Itto says to his son about death and rebirth. Amazing, so amazing I want it read at my funeral.
Wayne
Oct 23, 2008 Wayne rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone who likes japanese culture and samurai
The ending of an amazing series with a deep, emotional ending that my make you cry like a samurai.
Leah Coffin
Gut-wrenching ending to an amazing series. Highly recommended.
James T
28 down...all done. Quite the epic display of sword catching.
Ryan Sherwood
Perfect end to a perfect series
Steven
An amazing ending to this epic.
Jon S.
Jon S. added it
Dec 23, 2014
  • Blade of the Immortal, Volume 4: On Silent Wings
  • Usagi Yojimbo, Vol. 6: Circles  (Usagi Yojimbo #6)
  • Vagabond, Volume 9
  • PLUTO: Urasawa x Tezuka, Volume 006 (Pluto, #6)
  • Ode to Kirihito
Kazuo Koike (小池 一夫, Koike Kazuo) is a prolific Japanese manga writer, novelist and entrepreneur.

Early in Koike's career, he studied under Golgo 13 creator Takao Saito and served as a writer on the series.

Koike, along with artist Goseki Kojima, made the manga Kozure Okami (Lone Wolf and Cub), and Koike also contributed to the scripts for the 1970s film adaptations of the series, which starred famou
More about Kazuo Koike...
Lone Wolf and Cub, Vol. 1: The Assassin's Road (Lone Wolf and Cub, #1) Lone Wolf and Cub, Vol. 2: The Gateless Barrier (Lone Wolf and Cub, #2) Lone Wolf and Cub, Vol. 3: The Flute of the Fallen Tiger (Lone Wolf and Cub, #3) Lone Wolf and Cub, Vol. 4: The Bell Warden (Lone Wolf and Cub, #4) Lone Wolf and Cub, Vol. 5: Black Wind (Lone Wolf and Cub, #5)