Start by marking “Greek Myths (Usborne Miniature Editions)” as Want to Read:
Greek Myths (Usborne Miniature Editions)

Greek Myths (Usborne Miniature Editions)

4.10  ·  Rating Details  ·  728 Ratings  ·  31 Reviews
Greek myths are wonderful stories, full of brave heroes, terrifying monsters, powerful gods and goddesses, battles and great adventures
Published October 27th 2000 by Usborne (first published January 1st 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Greek Myths, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Greek Myths

Louise

4 stars

One of very many children’s books on Greek mythology, I picked this one up mainly because it’s Usborne (I grew up on Usborne books and I have a certain amount of loyalty to them despite the fact that they keep putting out gendered shit like this) and because the pictures inside are pretty dang gorgeous. With so many of these sort of books about though it’s always worth flipping through a few in the bookshop, maybe reading a couple of the stories, and getting the one that works for you. Th
Cathy
Sep 09, 2011 Cathy rated it really liked it
Mini Greek Myths for the Young is a beautifully illustrated compilation of the Greek mythological stories that have been enjoyed by adults and children for thousands of years. The book is constructed of sixteen chapters, each featuring an action packed myth such as Pandora's Box, King Midas or Jason and the Golden Fleece. The narrative is very accessible to children, though some of the names would prove tricky to pronounce for adults and children alike. Thankfully Heather Amery includes a page g ...more
Stephanie
Jan 12, 2010 Stephanie rated it it was amazing
Greek Myths

In ancient times, Greeks made up wonderful and exciting stories
about gods and goddesses, monsters, and brave heros. The Greeks
believed that the gods lived everywhere such as in forests, in the
sea, underground, and in great palaces among the towering peaks of
mount Olypus. Occasionally, the greeks saw the gods
and goddesses, but other times they were invisible.I f a god or
goddesses liked a person, he or she would be kind and helpful but if a
god didn't like a person, he or she could be m
Anna [Floanne]
Oct 11, 2013 Anna [Floanne] rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens, mitologia
Questo libro appartiene a mia figlia Irene. Irene che, non a caso, porta un bellissimo nome greco e che a pane e miti è stata svezzata, lo avrà letto almeno cento volte. E io con lei. Eco e Narciso, Dedalo e Icaro, gli Argonauti alla ricerca del vello d'oro, Teseo che affronta e sconfigge il Minotauro (mancano solo Orfeo ed Euridice per la quinta stella!): sono tutte storie che, se pur vecchie di millenni, sanno ancora affascinare ed educare grandi e piccini.
Complice uno stile narrativo semplic
Lauren Jamie
I like Greek myths a lot so this book is probably made for me
Kendall Soffer
Title:Greek Myths For Young Children
Author: Heather Amery
Illustrator:Linda Edwards
Genre: Myths
Theme(s): life lessons and nature

Brief Summary:
A collection of greek myths made for children. It includes gods, monsters, and immortals.

Professional Recommendation/Review #1:
Marilyn Courtot (Children's Literature)
Major stories from Greek mythology, such as the tale of Pandora and how she released all the ills upon mankind, and fifteen others make up this introductory volume. The story of Persephone
Annalisa
Sep 08, 2009 Annalisa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
Because we are reading Percy Jackson, I've been getting mythology books for my daughter to read that will introduce her to the stories. This was a great overview with abbreviated stories and good illustrations.
Julia Brumfield
As the title states quite clearly this is a book for children so for any fans of the Classical mythoi I ask that you stay away from it. The illustrations are beautiful to look at, the stories are simple to follow for a child and they are put in some order if you will.

What I found wrong with this book is that the author chose to switch some of the names out. You have Roman versions of names mixed in with the Grecian versions of names, which I didn't like. The redeeming quality to the name issue i
Sam
Aug 13, 2010 Sam rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I picked up this book hoping to be woo'd and drawn into the world of Greek mythology and this book of short myths seemed a good place to start. The storys for me far to brief and summed up in it seemed as little words as possible, this for me made what could be an great myth, quite the contray and made it almost seem boring. Maybe its merley the fact that greek myths is not my thing, i guess that remains to be seen.

The chracters that appealed to me the most where Zeus the almighty powerful god,
Ellie
Feb 25, 2015 Ellie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I think that this book is a good book for passing the time, a good bedtime story, or for when you're watching your brothers' really long basketball practices. I think it's good for these purposes because it amuses the mind, and I think it is good for people who like fiction.
Lori
Apr 12, 2016 Lori rated it really liked it
This book was an entertaining help during our Greek history days. Reading it aloud to 3 of my children 11 and under helped guide many discussions on mythology, imagination, false gods and the one true God.
Annie Chanse
Nov 25, 2014 Annie Chanse rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not the most complete set of Greek myths I have ever read, but perfect for my nine year old son who wanted "a book on Greek mythology" for Christmas. Easy to read, interesting, and all around fun.
Rebecca
Jan 12, 2015 Rebecca rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sonlight-core-b
Beautifully illustrated children's versions of many of the well known Greek myths. My daughter enjoyed this book very much and was surprised to realize that she had heard references to some of these things before.

Thanks Usborne!
Elizabeth
Mar 27, 2015 Elizabeth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-alouds
A good, clean and simple retelling of Greek myths for younger elementary readers. The boys really enjoyed this book.
Chak
Apr 11, 2013 Chak rated it really liked it
Shelves: kid
From my 9 year old son: "I thought it was pretty interesting and it gave me some ideas for maybe writing a story. I liked that it makes you think differently about things, and I wish there were more stories. If there was a family tree of the Gods, that would make it better." I liked that it is a nice little size (5.5" x 7", 324 g), is colorful and had a "How to Pronounce Greek Names" guide in the back.
Deanna
My boys loved listening to me read this. I've just finished "The Iliad" and I'm almost done with "The Odyssey" so these stories are fresh in my mind. I found that while these stories were very simplistic compared to the real version they were a fabulous introduction to the Greek Myths. I'm very glad I read this to my children.

Each myth is also very short and so it can keep the younger ones attention.
Karin
My 5 yr. old daughter enjoyed these stories. They are a good introduction to the greek myths that make up part of our language and culture. I like how the stories are in order so we can recognise characters from story to story. The pictures are fantastic too.
Teri
Jun 02, 2012 Teri rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ancient-greece
The language is this book is fine, simple and understandable. But it's REALLY lacking in the illustrations department. We like D'aulaires' Book of Greek Myths better--but if one of you out there has a better recommendation I'd love to hear it.
Denise
The pictures are beautiful and there are many stories and memorable characters. My son's favorite is the myth about Midas. I recommend that a parent read through first before deciding if it is appropriate for their young ones.
Renee
Jan 09, 2011 Renee rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s
I am so pleased with this book. My children who are ages 8, 5 and 3 all beg for me to read "one more story." They are learning the classical Greek myths from such an easily understandable, yet very enjoyable book.
Amy
Jul 01, 2008 Amy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Joel, who is 29, likes me to read him a Greek myth before bed. The myths do gloss over some of the sex and out of wed lock births, but so what. I'd read it to my kids.
Haley
Mar 05, 2009 Haley rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Haley by: I HAD THE IDEA TO READ THIS BOOK MYSELF
I LOVE this book! This is the best greek myth book I've ever read. Heather Amery (the author) really knows how to make greek myths in a good format for kids.
Ashley
Mar 07, 2013 Ashley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sonlight
I would give this a 4 1/2 stars. I think this was very well done and gave kids a really good base for understanding greek mythology.
Chris Lange
Jul 20, 2012 Chris Lange rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this version of Greek myths, Gods, monsters and brave heroes. A very good book for young children.
Kelley
Jun 03, 2010 Kelley rated it liked it
The boys really enjoyed this book--I wasn't that into it. Some parts were interesting even for me though.
Kieran
Oct 18, 2013 Kieran rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like the story about Persephone. I like the picture of Hades in a horse drawn carriage.
Marah
Sep 30, 2008 Marah rated it it was amazing
Shelves: juvenile
The text gets a four, and the illustrations put this one over the top!
Jodi
Jun 17, 2009 Jodi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
my daughter loves to hear the stories from this book!
Theresa
Sep 21, 2011 Theresa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: review
a collection of stories with pictures to illustrate
Denise
Nov 14, 2012 Denise rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great overview and introduction to myths for children.
  • The Great Wall Of China
  • The Usborne Book of World History
  • Little Pear
  • Good Queen Bess: The Story of Elizabeth I of England
  • Dolphin Treasure
  • Missionary Stories with the Millers (Miller Family)
  • Leading Little Ones to God: A Child's Book of Bible Teachings