Start by marking “Blood Lite (Hellchaser, #0.5)” as Want to Read:
Blood Lite (Hellchaser, #0.5)

Blood Lite (Blood Lite #1)

3.65  ·  Rating Details ·  7,369 Ratings  ·  394 Reviews
The Horror Writers Association Presents Blood Lite...a collection of entertaining tales that puts the fun back into dark fiction, with ironic twists and tongue-in-cheek wit to temper the jagged edge.

Charlaine Harris reveals the dark side of going green, when a quartet of die-hard environmentalists hosts a fundraiser with a gory twist in An Evening with Al Gore...

In an all-
Published October 21st 2008 by Gallery Books

To ask other readers questions about Blood Lite, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Blood Lite

Melki
Oct 04, 2013 Melki rated it really liked it
If you like your horror tales sprinkled with a dash of funny, you'll probably enjoy this collection of short stories. Some familiar names - Joe R. Lansdale, Charlaine Harris, Sharyn McCrumb, Jim Butcher, and plenty of unfamiliar ones (to me, anyway), manage to serve up the chills in a humorous VEIN to tickle your funny BONE. (GROAN! I know, sorry!)

In addition to the usual suspects of the genre - vampires a-plenty, necromancers and ghouls, you'll also meet failed horror writers, undead celebritie
Jeffrey
Sep 01, 2009 Jeffrey rated it liked it
Shelves: horror, read-in-2009
I had been quite prepared to give this book two stars until Jim Butcher provided a better than average entry to conclude Blood Lite. Still, having read five anthologies in quick succession, I'm not sure I'm any better off than I was before.

The book is largely hit or miss, with a couple of notable exceptions to either extreme. If I don't comment on a story, you can conclude that it didn't make much of an impression.

Mr. Bear, by Joe R. Lansdale, is like reading Chuck Palanhiuk. You are thrown off
Mireille
Jun 04, 2009 Mireille rated it liked it
In this review I’ve only listed the stories that are either a “don’t miss” or a “skip it entirely.” All others in the anthology are okay, but not noteworthy on either end of the spectrum. Total of 21 stories in book.

The Ungrateful Dead – Kelly Armstrong – Zombie/Ghost story… fun… 3 stars

Mr. Bear – Joe R. Lansdale – non-horror, un-humorous story… so bad I didn’t even finish it… why in hell did they put this story in here if it didn’t fit the anthology at all?... oooh, that’s the horror of it! - (
Sue
Jun 02, 2009 Sue rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: no one
Shelves: anthologies
Ok, so the discription of the book says this is a collection of horror stories with a humorous bite. Well if you are expecting humor, look elsewhere. After the first seven stories I couldn't stomach reading any more of this collection.
The worst of the standouts includes Mr. Bear: A horrible not-so-short story about a bear who I'm assuming is supposed to be Smokey The Bear. There is no humor whatsoever in this story. Mr. Bear kidnaps a human male to become his buddy which is to involve rape in
Rachel
Nov 02, 2008 Rachel rated it really liked it
Shelves: supernatural, horror
Pretty awesome! I generally don't read horror, but there was a Dresden story in this anthology, so I bought it, and figured since it was October, might as well read the rest of them in keeping with the season. There were a lot of good stories in this one! Some were just gruesome, some were verging on shocking, and some were just plain silly, but they were all pretty funny, and the Dresden story is great. All but the Dresden story really do belong in the horror section, though, so be warned....
Lady Ozma
Mar 03, 2009 Lady Ozma rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2009
There are 21 short stories in this anthology and almost every single one was so beyond fantastic that I can't even begin to describe them! I was laughing out loud with a great number of these dark comedies. I like the twisted take of most of these stories!
Nancy O'Toole
December was a pretty good month for me, book wise. It seemed like everything I picked up was enjoyable on one level or another. Then I decided I wanted to dive into some short fiction, and picked up Blood Lite, a horror comedy anthology, from my local book store. I was drawn to this particular book due to the fact that it had short fiction by some of my favorite paranormal writers: Charlaine Harris, Kelley Armstrong, and Jim Butcher. A first I found myself very happy with the content inside, bu ...more
Amanda
Sep 09, 2011 Amanda rated it it was ok
According to the title of the book and the plot description on the back, Blood Lite is supposed to be a "humorous" book, the stories are supposed to be funny and scary at once... but well, they aren't.

I was very disappointed by the number of awful stories in this collection. Many of them fell flat, it was clear that the authors were trying be silly and amusing, but instead they came off as desperate and bleh. In the beginning I forced myself through these stories, but after a while I just strai
Nov 30, 2008 Sarah rated it it was ok
I think the authors here were told to shoot for tones like "quirky" and "funny" when writing about urban supernatural and horror, and most of them overshot directly into "twisted in a disturbing and not funny or thoughtful way." More like "a bad Twilight Zone" vibe.

However, at least all the stories were readable, unlike some of the messes of short stories I have seen in some similar compilations.

I picked this up because two of my favorite authors had stories in it - as for those - Charlene Har
Kinga
Aug 23, 2015 Kinga added it
I came for Sherrilyn Kenyon, so I only read her short story. I did not expect it to be Zeke considering it's listed as Hellchaser's 0.5 and I was like, yeah we get to know who Thorn is and bam....we get whisked into Heaven into a different court and learn about Zeke. Huh, not bad.
Linda
Feb 24, 2017 Linda rated it it was amazing
I only read Jim Butcher's contribution and it was just plain fun!
Julianna
Jan 24, 2014 Julianna is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Reviewed for THC Reviews
When reading anthologies, I usually pick up one novella here and there to fill in gaps between longer books and rarely read them straight through. With that being the case, I've decided to post reviews of each story as I finish it. Reviews on the remaining novellas and the overall book rating will be forthcoming.:-)

The Ungrateful Dead by Kelly Armstrong -

Mr. Bear by Joe R. Lansdale -

Hell In a Handbasket by Lucien Soulban -

The Eldritch Pastiche from Beyond the Sha
Stefanie Waring
May 01, 2012 Stefanie Waring rated it it was ok
This is one of those books that I keep on my shelf because I'm a horrible packrat, and every now and then I take it down to re-read, despite vague warnings bells inside my head. Unfortunately, this collection is not very good. Most of the stories are unsatisfying at best and downright horrible at worst. There are a few good ones but the majority of them just left me scratching my head or rolling my eyes.

I think the worst offender is 'Where Angels Fear to Tread' by Sherrilyn Kenyon. Perhaps it w
Apr 07, 2014 Jennifer rated it it was ok
Most of the stories in this collections are mediocre and/or forgettable and a few are kinda awful. However, this collection has a handful of gems, so I will focus on that.

The gems are earlier rather than later in this collection

"The Ungrateful Dead" by Kelley Armstrong was definitely amusing and an excellent start.

"Mr. Bear" by Joe Lansdale was beautiful and ridiculous as seems to be his natural style. Also, I'm saving the line "panties large enough to be used as a sling for the wounded leg of
Rachel
Dec 20, 2008 Rachel rated it it was ok
Shelves: urban-fantasy
UGH! The only stories that were truely awesome in this book, in my opinion of course, are as follows:
The Ungrateful Dead by Kelly Armstrong
An Evening with Al Gore by Charlaine Harris
Day Off by Jim Butcher

Please note: I am by no means a Charlaine Harris or Kelly Armstrong fan. As a matter of fact the only way I seem to like Kelly is when she writes short stories, and to be honest this was the first piece of work I have ever ready by Charlaine Harris.
On the other hand, I LOVE Jim Butcher.

In the
Tasha Turner
Not as humorous as I'd hoped. Some stories I skipped after the first page or two. My favorites were:
The Ungrateful Dead by Kelley Armstrong medium, ghosts, good ending
PR Problems by Eric James Stone ghouls
High Kicks and Misdemeanors by Janet Berliner killer ostriches?
The Bell... FROM HELL by Jeff Strand surprise ending
Day Off by Jim Butcher a Dresden short of usual quality
Arlith
Aug 29, 2010 Arlith rated it it was ok
As a whole, this book just didn't live up to its promise. Very few of the stories were funny. There were four that I really enjoyed and found amusing, seven stories that were ok-I could have taken or left them. Then there were the rest, ten stories that I felt were absolutely dreadful, so bad that I'd like my time back. The good stories were really very good, and the bad were very bad. It really made me wonder if the editor read them at all. They didn't belong in the same book, much less one tha ...more
I forgot until I read this book how short a short story actually is. I am so used to reading these books that have three authors and three stories (each story being in the 100 page range) that I forgot how FUN three page to 20 page stories can be. It's also a great way to wet your palet on an author you were not real sure about.

This collection was quite fun and hardly any clunkers in the bunch. Perfect book for a short attention span or when you only have a little time here and there to read.

Julie (jjmachshev)
Oct 11, 2008 Julie (jjmachshev) rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2008-reads
There are many amusing stories in "Blood Lite" an anthology with 21 stories from some of the biggest names in the current horror/paranormal genres. Includes stories by Jim Butcher, Charlaine Harris, Sherrilyn Kenyon, Mike Resnick, Sharyn McCrumb, and Kelley Armstrong. From witches to wizards, ghouls to ghosts, and weres to vampires, these stories vary wildly depending on the author's genre, but all have a wacky, humorous zing to them. A pleasant afternoon's reading and sure to hit your funny 'bo ...more
John
Jun 09, 2013 John rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a pretty entertaining collection of short stories...loved the Jim Butcher one and the Elvis one was quite good as well. Definitely worth a read.
Brenda
Oct 08, 2015 Brenda rated it it was ok
First few stories were okay, went south after that and I gave up.
Chelsealuv Krigbaum
Feb 05, 2017 Chelsealuv Krigbaum rated it it was amazing
"Day Off" by Jim Butcher

Funny short story of Dresden hoping for a day off with no apprentice, no work, no errands from the Council and no Warden stuff, all he hopes for is spending the day with Luccio and showing her a good time. But, as always, nothing goes his way.
Angie
Mar 14, 2017 Angie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Horror Quickie

There were a few really great short stories in this anthology and a few that were good but not great. Overall I enjoyed the book but it won't be on my reread list
Raven
Dec 27, 2011 Raven rated it it was ok
The Ungrateful Dead(5 out of 5): Jerks always get what they deserve.

Mr. Bear (0 out of 5): When I read this story the first time it seemed so fucked up and completely ridiculous I didn't bother to read it again. It seemed like an "interesting" idea if you could call it that... but totally lost in the translation. Heavy horror extremely like on the fun to read part.

Hell in a Hand Basket (5 out of 5): I couldn't help but laugh my ass off... priceless even if it was a little gross.

The Eldritch Pas
Theresa
Nov 30, 2013 Theresa rated it it was ok
Collection of 21 supernatural horror short stories by various authors. 1.7 stars for the whole thing. I’ll just give a short review of each. BTW: where do they find these corny stories?

1)‘The Ungrateful Dead’ by Kelly Armstrong. Otherworld series. 4 stars. Example of how teens don’t change much even after their dead. Also you should never mess with a necromancer if you want them to help you.

2)‘Mr. Bear’ by Joe R Lansdale. 0 stars. Started to read. Talking bear on a commercial airplane. Hokey.
Reggie
There are some good stories, but most of them are plagued with sexism, not to mention ableism and homophobia. Good for a few reads, but definitely a pass on at least half of the book.
Racquel
Sep 18, 2010 Racquel rated it it was ok
Tez
Sep 11, 2008 Tez rated it liked it
Dhinoj
Oct 05, 2016 Dhinoj added it
It's a mixed bag-some tales are really fun, others not so much.
Maricar Justmaricar
The beginning was awesome! The Ungrateful Dead sounded like an episode of “Charmed” and I want to look up Kelley Armstrong to see what else she has written.

Mr. Bear was stupid…the gist of it: Smokey the Bear can’t handle celebrity life, so he becomes a serial killer and a bisexual serial rapist.

Hell in a Handbasket by Lucien Soulban made me laugh. So…mission accomplished something in this book made me laugh! What made me laugh: One of the characters named Furfur made me think Disney rather than
The Lost Challenges: Book 15.5 Where Angels Fear to Tread 1 5 Jun 22, 2013 02:20PM
  • My Big Fat Supernatural Wedding
  • Evolve: Vampire Stories of the New Undead
  • A Fantasy Medley (Otherworld Stories, #9.2; Crown of Stars, #7.5; Realms of the Elderlings)
  • Many Bloody Returns
  • Love at First Bite (Dark-Hunter #6.5; Wild Wulfs of London #2.5; Companion #3.5)
  • Unusual Suspects: Stories of Mystery & Fantasy
  • Mean Streets (Remy Chandler, #1.5; Greywalker, #3.5; Nightside, #9.5; The Dresden Files, #10.5)
  • Vampires: The Recent Undead
  • Naked City: Tales of Urban Fantasy
  • Checkmate (Otherworld Stories, #9.5)
  • Night's Edge
  • Hotter Than Hell (The Hollows, #4.5)
  • By Blood We Live
Pseudonyms: Gabriel Mesta, K.J. Anderson

He has written spin-off novels for Star Wars, StarCraft, Titan A.E., and The X-Files, and is the co-author of the Dune prequels. His original works include the Saga of Seven Suns series and the Nebula Award-nominated Assemblers of Infinity. He has also written several comic books including the Dark Horse Star Wars collection Tales of the Jedi written in coll
More about Kevin J. Anderson...

Blood Lite (3 books)
  • Blood Lite II: Overbite  (Otherworld Stories, #10.3)
  • Blood Lite III: Aftertaste (Blood Lite, #3;  Otherworld Stories, #10.4; The Dresden Files, #6.5)

“Honey, I liked the Harry Potter movies, too, but that doesn’t mean I ran out and got a Dark Mark tattooed onto my left forearm like you did.” 67 likes
“One of the first lessons a necromancer learns is the art of playing dumb. Of course, one problem with playing dumb is that is seeps into your everyday life. ~Jaime Vegas” 16 likes