Start by marking “Blood Lite (Hellchaser, #0.5)” as Want to Read:
Blood Lite (Hellchaser, #0.5)

Blood Lite (Blood Lite #1)

3.61 of 5 stars 3.61  ·  rating details  ·  6,348 ratings  ·  331 reviews
The Horror Writers Association Presents Blood Lite...a collection of entertaining tales that puts the fun back into dark fiction, with ironic twists and tongue-in-cheek wit to temper the jagged edge.

Charlaine Harris reveals the dark side of going green, when a quartet of die-hard environmentalists hosts a fundraiser with a gory twist in An Evening with Al Gore...

In an all-
Published October 21st 2008 by Gallery Books

To ask other readers questions about Blood Lite, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Blood Lite

Melki
If you like your horror tales sprinkled with a dash of funny, you'll probably enjoy this collection of short stories. Some familiar names - Joe R. Lansdale, Charlaine Harris, Sharyn McCrumb, Jim Butcher, and plenty of unfamiliar ones (to me, anyway), manage to serve up the chills in a humorous VEIN to tickle your funny BONE. (GROAN! I know, sorry!)

In addition to the usual suspects of the genre - vampires a-plenty, necromancers and ghouls, you'll also meet failed horror writers, undead celebritie
Jeffrey
I had been quite prepared to give this book two stars until Jim Butcher provided a better than average entry to conclude Blood Lite. Still, having read five anthologies in quick succession, I'm not sure I'm any better off than I was before.

The book is largely hit or miss, with a couple of notable exceptions to either extreme. If I don't comment on a story, you can conclude that it didn't make much of an impression.

Mr. Bear, by Joe R. Lansdale, is like reading Chuck Palanhiuk. You are thrown off
Mireille
In this review I’ve only listed the stories that are either a “don’t miss” or a “skip it entirely.” All others in the anthology are okay, but not noteworthy on either end of the spectrum. Total of 21 stories in book.

The Ungrateful Dead – Kelly Armstrong – Zombie/Ghost story… fun… 3 stars

Mr. Bear – Joe R. Lansdale – non-horror, un-humorous story… so bad I didn’t even finish it… why in hell did they put this story in here if it didn’t fit the anthology at all?... oooh, that’s the horror of it! - (
Sue
Jun 10, 2009 Sue rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: no one
Shelves: anthologies
Ok, so the discription of the book says this is a collection of horror stories with a humorous bite. Well if you are expecting humor, look elsewhere. After the first seven stories I couldn't stomach reading any more of this collection.
The worst of the standouts includes Mr. Bear: A horrible not-so-short story about a bear who I'm assuming is supposed to be Smokey The Bear. There is no humor whatsoever in this story. Mr. Bear kidnaps a human male to become his buddy which is to involve rape in
Rachel
Pretty awesome! I generally don't read horror, but there was a Dresden story in this anthology, so I bought it, and figured since it was October, might as well read the rest of them in keeping with the season. There were a lot of good stories in this one! Some were just gruesome, some were verging on shocking, and some were just plain silly, but they were all pretty funny, and the Dresden story is great. All but the Dresden story really do belong in the horror section, though, so be warned....
Lady Ozma
There are 21 short stories in this anthology and almost every single one was so beyond fantastic that I can't even begin to describe them! I was laughing out loud with a great number of these dark comedies. I like the twisted take of most of these stories!
Amanda
According to the title of the book and the plot description on the back, Blood Lite is supposed to be a "humorous" book, the stories are supposed to be funny and scary at once... but well, they aren't.

I was very disappointed by the number of awful stories in this collection. Many of them fell flat, it was clear that the authors were trying be silly and amusing, but instead they came off as desperate and bleh. In the beginning I forced myself through these stories, but after a while I just strai
Nancy O'Toole
December was a pretty good month for me, book wise. It seemed like everything I picked up was enjoyable on one level or another. Then I decided I wanted to dive into some short fiction, and picked up Blood Lite, a horror comedy anthology, from my local book store. I was drawn to this particular book due to the fact that it had short fiction by some of my favorite paranormal writers: Charlaine Harris, Kelley Armstrong, and Jim Butcher. A first I found myself very happy with the content inside, bu ...more
I think the authors here were told to shoot for tones like "quirky" and "funny" when writing about urban supernatural and horror, and most of them overshot directly into "twisted in a disturbing and not funny or thoughtful way." More like "a bad Twilight Zone" vibe.

However, at least all the stories were readable, unlike some of the messes of short stories I have seen in some similar compilations.

I picked this up because two of my favorite authors had stories in it - as for those - Charlene Har
Julianna
Feb 03, 2014 Julianna is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Reviewed for THC Reviews
When reading anthologies, I usually pick up one novella here and there to fill in gaps between longer books and rarely read them straight through. With that being the case, I've decided to post reviews of each story as I finish it. Reviews on the remaining novellas and the overall book rating will be forthcoming.:-)

The Ungrateful Dead by Kelly Armstrong -

Mr. Bear by Joe R. Lansdale -

Hell In a Handbasket by Lucien Soulban -

The Eldritch Pastiche from Beyond the Shadow
Stefanie Waring
This is one of those books that I keep on my shelf because I'm a horrible packrat, and every now and then I take it down to re-read, despite vague warnings bells inside my head. Unfortunately, this collection is not very good. Most of the stories are unsatisfying at best and downright horrible at worst. There are a few good ones but the majority of them just left me scratching my head or rolling my eyes.

I think the worst offender is 'Where Angels Fear to Tread' by Sherrilyn Kenyon. Perhaps it w
Rachel
UGH! The only stories that were truely awesome in this book, in my opinion of course, are as follows:
The Ungrateful Dead by Kelly Armstrong
An Evening with Al Gore by Charlaine Harris
Day Off by Jim Butcher

Please note: I am by no means a Charlaine Harris or Kelly Armstrong fan. As a matter of fact the only way I seem to like Kelly is when she writes short stories, and to be honest this was the first piece of work I have ever ready by Charlaine Harris.
On the other hand, I LOVE Jim Butcher.

In the
Tasha Turner
Not as humorous as I'd hoped. Some stories I skipped after the first page or two. My favorites were:
The Ungrateful Dead by Kelley Armstrong medium, ghosts, good ending
PR Problems by Eric James Stone ghouls
High Kicks and Misdemeanors by Janet Berliner killer ostriches?
The Bell... FROM HELL by Jeff Strand surprise ending
Day Off by Jim Butcher a Dresden short of usual quality
Arlith
As a whole, this book just didn't live up to its promise. Very few of the stories were funny. There were four that I really enjoyed and found amusing, seven stories that were ok-I could have taken or left them. Then there were the rest, ten stories that I felt were absolutely dreadful, so bad that I'd like my time back. The good stories were really very good, and the bad were very bad. It really made me wonder if the editor read them at all. They didn't belong in the same book, much less one tha ...more
I forgot until I read this book how short a short story actually is. I am so used to reading these books that have three authors and three stories (each story being in the 100 page range) that I forgot how FUN three page to 20 page stories can be. It's also a great way to wet your palet on an author you were not real sure about.

This collection was quite fun and hardly any clunkers in the bunch. Perfect book for a short attention span or when you only have a little time here and there to read.

Michelle

Dear Prudence by Steven Savile

A Good Psycho is Hard to Find by Will Ludwigsen

High Kicks and Misdemeanors by Janet Berli
Andrew Riley
Many people are drawn to anthologies for a single story within them. A particular author you're obsessively reading, or a universe you don't want to miss a single facet of.

A good anthology gives you more than that. It gives you a glimpse of other writers and universes to explore and at their best can extend your To Be Read list by a dozen or more books.

Blood Lite's not one of these. I don't expect perfection in an anthology, but I prefer most of the individual stories to be worth 3/5. The majori
Jacqueline Rioux
I had never heard of most of the authors in this anthology and picked up the book solely for Sherrilyn Kenyon's contribution. I read her section first and found it okay (definitely not her best by a long shot). The story was so short that there was really no time to really delve into any sort of storyline. I then decided to go ahead and give the other stories a try. Oh my goodness, do I ever regret that decision! Each story got progressively worse until I actually had to give up. I am a fairly d ...more
Storm
The Ungrateful Dead By Kelly Armstrong

Nothing too fancy. I liked the perspective of Jamie Vegas and Savannah. I can see how dealing with the ghost as they did would be something people in their line of work come up against from time to time. It was worth a chuckle.

Mr. Bear By Joe R. Lansdale

There's funny, there's corny, there's 'meh' and then there's just bad. Ugh. If this was supposed to be funny, it wasn't. If it was supposed to be a little 'scary', it wasn't, this was just bad taste. The hell
Kristen
Nov 10, 2014 Kristen rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Adults 18 & up
I won't start this review with a synopsis, since that is available under the book description.

I received this book as a gift one year and I finally decided to read it. I will start with the ones with the best ratings and work my way down.

Where Angels Fear to Tread by Sherrilyn Kenyon was amazing. In truth this story alone was why I wanted this book. It was a little different than what I was used to reading from this author, and I wasn't disappointed at all. I give it 5 stars.

Day off by Jim But
Theresa
Collection of 21 supernatural horror short stories by various authors. 1.7 stars for the whole thing. I’ll just give a short review of each. BTW: where do they find these corny stories?

1)‘The Ungrateful Dead’ by Kelly Armstrong. Otherworld series. 4 stars. Example of how teens don’t change much even after their dead. Also you should never mess with a necromancer if you want them to help you.

2)‘Mr. Bear’ by Joe R Lansdale. 0 stars. Started to read. Talking bear on a commercial airplane. Hokey.
Gina Mora
Most of the stories were funny and cute. It didn't keep my interest enough to make it a quick read, but it was a fun one. Some of my favorites:

Kelley Armstrong wrote "The Ungrateful Dead" which focused on Jamie, the Necromancer. It was funny- focusing on the grumpy and whiny dead people. We all know some people who will be like that- dead or alive!

Joe R. Lansdale wrote "Mr.Bear"- This story just tickled me. I don't know if it was because the idea of Smokey the Bear being a psychopath is just pla
Nikki
Mar 05, 2011 Nikki rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Kelly Armstrong fans...for her story only pretty much
This anthology was an attempt at horror related humor, emphasis on attempt. Largely the short stories were crude, immature, predictable and worthless.

The two best short stories in the book were Kelly Armstrong's and Steven Savile's. Armstrong wrote a short, to the point story about a couple of her characters from the Otherworld series. Nothing serious, but it was rather entertaining. Savile's story, Dear Prudence, is disturbingly hilarious. Savile's story is about a guy who keeps rewriting a no
Kenne Morrison
This was a mixed read for me. Some of the stories were good (the ones by Kelley Armstrong and Jim Butcher especially), but there were others that were just mediocre. Then there was the few that were just BAD! The worst of the bunch for me was A Very Special Girl by Mike Resnick. I gather that the author was going for a specific style by writing in a somewhat present, somewhat future sort of tense, but it just didn't work for me. Even when things happened in the past, the tense was still present/ ...more
♥ Sarah ♥
*Note: This rating/review is based on a partial read of only some of the stories in this anthology. If/when I read the others I will revise my rating/review accordingly.

Where Angels Fear to Tread by Sherrilyn Kenyon: (3 stars)
(Dark-Hunter Universe, #15.5, Hellchaser, #1)
This was definitely not what I was expecting. It is a really short story about a guy named Zeke who "is chosen" and he's afraid to ask for what. It was really, really short but still a fun story. I liked Zeke, he had a good voice
Chris
This collection is supposed to be funny.

It's not.

Not even the Dresden story is funny. In fact, the Dresden story feels like Butcher wrote it in an hour. It involes a funny idea, werewolves with fleas, but all the women are topless. Okay, not all. And, I have to admit Harry playing D&D is funny, but that is only two pages of funny. Then sadly the story goes rapidly downhill and never gets back up.

Kelley Armstrong's story concerning Jamie is the best story in the collection. All the stories ar
Zeek
This book is an Antho of short, short, humorous, supposedly horror stories- but more urban fantasy than not, if you ask me. My favorites were, of course, by the authors I know and love: Charlaine Harris, Kenyon, Butcher, & Armstrong- but a couple others struck me as good too.

And, naturally, there were the stinkers that ended up being more gross or just plain silly. (A Vampire Elvis as well as a twisted version of Smokey the Bear make an appearance, and I would be remiss to not include the As
Raven
The Ungrateful Dead(5 out of 5): Jerks always get what they deserve.

Mr. Bear (0 out of 5): When I read this story the first time it seemed so fucked up and completely ridiculous I didn't bother to read it again. It seemed like an "interesting" idea if you could call it that... but totally lost in the translation. Heavy horror extremely like on the fun to read part.

Hell in a Hand Basket (5 out of 5): I couldn't help but laugh my ass off... priceless even if it was a little gross.

The Eldritch Pas
Sam
Nov 28, 2010 Sam rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: for-fun
This anthology is a 21-story salute to the light-hearted side of horror stories. First off, the intent of this collection was not to scare the pants of the reader. If your looking for seriously Steven King-ish or Lovecraft-ian work (though some of those elements can be found here), then look somewhere else. If you're looking for some vampire/werewolf/zombie love that is the predominate fad the last few years, again, your looking on another shelf. I would consider the maturity to be PG-13. It IS ...more
Colleen
I picked up this anthology strictly because I'm trying to read all of Jim Butcher's short stories. In this collection, it is a Dresden Files short story entitled "Day Off". Just from the title you know that Harry Dresden's not lucky enough to get a day off -- there wouldn't be a story otherwise. A classic Dresden tale including the characters that we've come to know and love -- and entertaining & engaging enough to entice readers to his series.

With the aforementioned exception, if anthologie
The Lost Challenges: Book 15.5 Where Angels Fear to Tread 1 4 Jun 22, 2013 10:20PM
  • My Big Fat Supernatural Honeymoon
  • Many Bloody Returns
  • A Fantasy Medley (Otherworld Stories, #9.2; Crown of Stars, #7.5; Realms of the Elderlings)
  • Mean Streets (Remy Chandler, #1.5; Greywalker, #3.5; Nightside, #9.5; The Dresden Files, #10.5)
  • Evolve: Vampire Stories of the New Undead
  • Dark-Hunter: An Insider's Guide (Hellchaser, #2)
  • Unusual Suspects: Stories of Mystery & Fantasy
  • Naked City: Tales of Urban Fantasy
  • Recruit (Otherworld Stories, #9.6)
  • Vampires: The Recent Undead
Pseudonyms: Gabriel Mesta, K.J. Anderson

He has written spin-off novels for Star Wars, StarCraft, Titan A.E., and The X-Files, and is the co-author of the Dune prequels. His original works include the Saga of Seven Suns series and the Nebula Award-nominated Assemblers of Infinity. He has also written several comic books including the Dark Horse Star Wars collection Tales of the Jedi written in coll
More about Kevin J. Anderson...
Jedi Search (Star Wars: The Jedi Academy Trilogy, #1) Dark Apprentice (Star Wars: The Jedi Academy Trilogy, #2) Champions of the Force (Star Wars: The Jedi Academy Trilogy, #3) Darksaber (Star Wars) Tales of the Bounty Hunters (Star Wars)

“Honey, I liked the Harry Potter movies, too, but that doesn’t mean I ran out and got a Dark Mark tattooed onto my left forearm like you did.” 58 likes
“One of the first lessons a necromancer learns is the art of playing dumb. Of course, one problem with playing dumb is that is seeps into your everyday life. ~Jaime Vegas” 17 likes