Start by marking “Margarettown” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176

Gabrielle Zevin

Margarettown

"Margarettown...is a person, a place, a love story. It could be about anyone - you, your parents, your best friends. But it's not. It's about a woman called Margaret Towne, and a man who falls in love with her." "The day he meets Maggie for the first time is the day he understands what it is to be in love. Deeply, wildly, terminally in love. What he doesn't know is that lo ...more
Published (first published May 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Margarettown, please sign up.

Recent Questions

Jane
Mar 17, 2009 Jane rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ah... this book was perfect for me right now, it seemed. Just one part-Margarette Towne's daughter ends up being named Jane. And near the end, N. gives her advice; it seems as it is written to me. It says:
"I wish i could tell you to always follow your heart, but i think it is bad advice. You have a heart, yes, it is true, but also a brain and also a soul. I've come to believe that we love with our brains as much as our hearts. Real Love is not just instinct, but intent...... From year to year,
Dolors
Mar 19, 2013 Dolors rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2012
An unconventional tale of love, life and death. But specially of love.
You could say this is another story of an ordinary couple who fall in and out of love, as we all do sometime in life.
Or you could say this is a unique tale of an extraordinary woman, who is five different women at the same time, and who dies because she is eighty-seven or thirty-five.
A cursed woman or a blessed one, because she is loved, deeply and intensely loved by her husband, the narrator of the story.
His voice is steady a
Taryn Pierson
Apr 03, 2014 Taryn Pierson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Have you ever seen Life is Beautiful? It's an Italian film set during the Holocaust, and it stars Roberto Benigni, the guy who said he wanted to “kiss everybody” when he accepted his Oscar for Best Actor for the role.

It's absolutely magical, which may sound like a strange thing to say about a movie set primarily in a concentration camp, but that's what happens when someone as effusive and whimsical as Benigni is involved. He plays a man named Guido who is taken to Auschwitz along with his wife a
Christine Deken
Oct 05, 2012 Christine Deken rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Can I give this book five stars for every person whom has ever occupied "Christinetown"? If I could, I would. This book was so many things, and all of them were beautiful. It is a love story, it is a story of self-discovery, and it is a story of how we see others. Love, I have learned from this book and hope to learn from life, is not about loving just one person; it is about loving every person that one has been and every person they will become.
Lisa
Jun 24, 2014 Lisa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I applaud the author's creativity. She's a great storyteller. I love how she wrote so creatively about the different people we all have inside us. If we could more easily see all those different aspects of our personalities when relating to others, the world would be a different place.

Also, we all struggle to love our spouse, who also offers a range of different sides to their personality, some which we like much better than others. Yet we must deal with the whole person, even the parts we don't
Raya
Sep 28, 2009 Raya rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a neat, bizarre little book this was. Margarettown is actually a letter from father to daughter, telling the tale of how he meets her mother, Margaret, and his life thereafter. I loved the blurred lines between fable and reality, where you wonder if the narrator is being imaginative, a little deluded, or just trying to compensate for the aspects of Margaret he couldn’t understand. There is a deep sadness and regret in his remembering and retelling, tinged with a sense of humor and hope that ...more
Carrie Middleton
From the synopsis, I thought I was picking up a book that was going to be an artsy metaphor about how people change over time. That's probably what it wanted to be, but it wasn't.

It started out well enough, though I found that the characters spoke in a very unnatural, Fred Astaire movie sort of way, and the titular Margaret was some sort of manic pixie dream girl gone wrong from the getgo.

The book eventually drops the metaphor and goes the fairytale route: there are quite literally several diff
Stephanie (Stepping out of the Page)
Despite how rather bizzare it was, I actually really enjoyed this read. I've only read Elsewhere by Zevin before and whilst I enjoyed it, I didn't love it, but I thought I'd give this one a go. Unfortunately, I was confused before I even started the book - by reading the blurb, I think anyone would agree, it looks like it must require a lot of concentration and re-reading. However, once I sat back and got into it, it really wasn't that difficult. Though it's not fully explained, if you don't loo ...more
Jul 07, 2009 Sarah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Sarah by: the library
i found this book a little bizarre. it was good. and it had an interesting concept, which i can't really explain without giving a lot of the interesting stuff away. but the concept is sort of silly at the same time. all the same it's a great, easy read. no real work involved to get into the character development or storyline. it wraps you in almost immediately and you're eager enough to come back for more, to see what happens next.
but i must warn that it was a little weird at parts. not really o
Brunella Ds
L'ho comprato (per fortuna in offerta) perché mi era piaciuto il primo romanzo di questa autrice, ma come ogni tanto accade, un grande successo purtroppo a volte è seguito da un racconto banale.
La storia è strana, surreale, con diverse voci narranti; la Zevine probabilmente voleva scrivere qualcosa che avesse una morale, l'idea non era neanche malvagia, ma strutturata male.
Non è terribile ma lo consiglio solo se preso in offerta.
Taylor
Jan 04, 2011 Taylor rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Read first Jan 04, 2011. Reading it again this weekend 5 years later..Wow. It resonates so deep with me now, more so than it did right out of high school. I found myself highlighting quote after quote. I feel like as I grow older each year, I become more sentimental (even though I'm still cynical and an angry soul). I need more books like this in my life.

From 2011:
Amazing book. Unique story. I read it in one night. Definitely recommend.
Carrie Foster
May 19, 2014 Carrie Foster rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I can't help but imagine this book as a Wes Anderson film. I mean come on, there's already a character with an eye patch! This was a fun, fast read that was surprisingly thought-provoking. I tabbed several pages because I identified so strongly with Zevin's prose.

"To go to sleep and wake up next to the same person for the rest of your life, to stay even when you long to go- these are the real rituals of love."
Kat
Dec 31, 2014 Kat rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have to say that I considered stopping this book several times. I thought the weird outweighed anything else. I have to say, I am glad I finished it. The payoff was sweet and tender and changed my mind about the entire story up to that point.
Alice
Aug 09, 2016 Alice rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ci sono quei libri che senti subito al primo colpo che sono stati scritti apposta per te, quei libri verso i quali non è solo la tua curiosità a guidarti ma qualcosa di più profondo che non riesci a spiegarti.

E non so se con quello che segue riuscirò a rendere giustizia a questo libro e a quello che mi ha lasciato, non so se riuscirò a parlarne senza svelare troppo ma dicendo abbastanza per farvi capire com'è - non so se riuscirò a trattenere i troppi dettagli personali che troppo spesso mi sf
Roni Ramone
Jaykayrisque
Nov 19, 2016 Jaykayrisque rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A tale, soon to seem surreal and allegorical, about his lover Margaret, is narrated by N_ for their daughter Jane. Margaret's story away from him (told third person), and the opinions of other characters superimpose another view. Something like that. Ultimately the story doesn't end. Jane continues with her own choices made.

This is a love story, and a story about the desires, complications and contradictions of love itself. I found it clever, amusing, deep, humane, fantastic, and insightful! I
Jerusha Vogel
I wanted a bit more of the supernatural - but still enjoyed it. Janie is going to love this book.
Ilaria
Jun 08, 2016 Ilaria rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
"Siamo tutte delle città. E, col passare degli anni, le persone che vengono a vivere dentro di noi diventano sempre più numerose."

L'altra metà del mondo racconta una storia particolare, una storia d'amore poco convenzionale e molto complessa. Il romanzo è una sorta di lunga lettera che il protagonista scrive alla figlia Jane. In questa lettera le racconta di Maggie, la madre che non ha avuto l'opportunità di conoscere, e di Margarettown, il posto da cui veniva. Le racconta del loro amore nato qu
Marialuisa Miceli
Con ancora il ricordo nel cuore per il suo libro precedente "La misura della felicità", che mi aveva regalato piacevoli emozioni, mi sono accostata a questo suo nuovo romanzo piena di speranza.

Invece nonostante abbia ritrovato la sua gradevole e scorrevole scrittura, la trama de "L'altra metà del mondo" mi è sembrata inconsistente e del tutto deludente.

C'è un narratore N. che scrive una lettera alla figlia Jane, per raccontarle della madre, per fargliela conoscere, dato che è deceduta, in tutte
Federica
Oct 31, 2016 Federica rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recensione completa su On Rainy Days

Per un figlio è difficile immaginare i propri genitori come realtà diverse da ciò che vede tutti i giorni, vale a dire come persone e completamente estranee alla figura del genitore. Li si vede sempre come le figure che ci hanno cresciuti e sono i simboli delle regole e della vita in famiglia. È difficile immaginarli giovani e pronti ad affrontare la vita e i suoi problemi.
L’altra metà del mondo sviluppa, partendo da questo presupposto, un racconto in cui la f
Maggie
May 11, 2011 Maggie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Encruzilhadas Literárias
Confesso que sou suspeita porque gosto bastante da escrita de Gabrielle Zevin. Gosto da maneira como ela pega em situações completamente normais (ou já conhecidas) e lhes dá o seu próprio encanto, as conta à sua maneira. Quando peguei em Margarettown tive duas reacções, primeira, porque raio tinham colando os autocolantes do preço sobre o M e o N do título que obviamente os tinha descolorado e, segundo, que raio de linha para captar a atenção.

Hoje em dia acredito que a capa de um livro é muito i
Jeanette
Oct 07, 2014 Jeanette rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This has a beginning spoiler, so don't read if you do not want any inklings.

Others may like this style of writing but I am totally underwhelmed. In fact, I'm always hoping throughout my read that it has to get better to reflect these ratings. It's an easy read completely, but my anticipation was never fulfilled. The premise sounded so enlivening and unique but not at all. The characters seemed nearly the opposite of those adjectives.

It's Maggie herself, plus the voice of the male narrator, plus
Rosaria Sgarlata

Ho iniziato la lettura de L'altra metà del mondo con aspettative altissime. Il primo romanzo di Gabrielle Zevin, La misura della felicità, mi era piaciuto moltissimo quindi ho riposto molte speranze nel suo secondo romanzo. Ma purtroppo, come spesso accade, non ne son rimasta troppo colpita.

La lunga lettera di N. alla figlia dovrebbe essere l'ultimo lascito dell'uomo per parlare della moglie, Margaret. In questa lettera racconta di come si son conosciuti, del loro fidanzamento, del viaggio a Mar

Gianna
Gabrielle Zevin
304pp
Miramax Books

What if you fell in love with a woman, and when you fell in love with her it ment you had to be in love with many other woman. N(we never learn his full name) falls in love with Maggie tha first minute he meets her. Love at first sight much. Well this novel is the typical boy meets girl story but there is so much more to it then a little love story.

In the novel Margaretton by Gabrielle Zervin We are taken on a long journey filled with romanc
YoSafBridg
May 25, 2008 YoSafBridg rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own-and-read
In Margarettown Gabrielle Zevin writes with a vaguely Nabokovian flavour that i can't quite place (i'm thinking maybe an earlier King, Queen, Knave Nabokov not an accomplished Lolita voice, but Nobovovian, nonetheless) but i know i absolutely love. Margaret M. Towne (Maggie for short) comes from a town in upstate New York called Margerttown (oddly enough, an ex-boyfriend of mine came from a town in upstate New York called Margaretteville...anyway...) where she lives in a house called Margaron wi ...more
Clarissa
Jun 20, 2016 Clarissa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Avevo già adocchiato il primo romanzo della Zevin, La misura della felicità, e ne avevo sentito parlare solo che bene. Mi incuriosiva davvero molto ma per un motivo o per l'altro alla fine non l'ho mai letto. Quando mi hanno contattato per partecipare al blogtour per l'uscita de L'altra metà del mondo, non potevo fare altro che accettare. Volevo conoscere lo stile di quest'autrice e sopratutto ero attratta tantissimo dalla trama.

La lettura di questo romanzo è stata decisamente rapida e interessa
Michelle
Sarah Sammis
Oct 03, 2008 Sarah Sammis rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"The name Margaret derives from the Greek word margaron, which means pearl. ... Margaret has more nicknames than any other female name in the English language. " (p. 60). Margarettown by Garbrielle Zevin takes this fact literarily, in the form of Maggie and her many selves.

Narrated mostly by N. to his daughter Jane, Margarettown is the story of his romance and marriage to a remarkable woman named Margaret Towne. He knew her as Maggie but if her story is to be believed, she is also Old Margaret,
A good book? Or a good read? 1 16 Mar 21, 2008 08:45PM
  • Zane's Trace
  • Dancing with Cats
  • This Is What I Did
  • 12 Things to Do Before You Crash and Burn
  • A Voice in the Distance (Flynn Laukonen, #2)
  • Perfect World
  • Hummingbird Heart
Gabrielle Zevin is the New York Times Best Selling author of eight novels. For adults: The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry (2014), The Hole We’re In (2010), and Margarettown (2005). For young adults: Elsewhere (2005), Memoirs of a Teenage Amnesiac (2007), and the three books in the Anya Balanchine series, All These Things I’ve Done (2011), Because It Is My Blood (2012), and In the Age of Love and Choco ...more
More about Gabrielle Zevin...

“There's a pleasure to loving someone even when you know there's no chance in them loving you back. The pain I felt let me know I was still alive.” 123 likes
“Sometimes things seem so unbearable in the middle of the night, don't they? In the middle of the night, we're all such children.” 35 likes