Start by marking “The Donnie Darko Book” as Want to Read:
The Donnie Darko Book

The Donnie Darko Book

3.9 of 5 stars 3.90  ·  rating details  ·  241 ratings  ·  9 reviews
A companion volume to "one of the most original works of recent American Cinema"*

Donnie Darko was the surprise cult hit of 2001. Appearing nationwide on critic's year-end top-ten lists, the quirky independent film's effortless blending of science fiction, horror, adolescent angst, and social satire defied description while simultaneously providing "an unexpectedly poignant
Published October 31st 2003 by Faber & Faber

To ask other readers questions about The Donnie Darko Book, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Donnie Darko Book

Lety
The interview with Richard Kelly was interesting to read. While I read the script I found myself paying more attention compared to when I watch the film. As a result of this, some questions that I had from watching the film cleared up. I now understand why some events happened the way they did. The Philosophy of Time Travel pictures, towards the end of the book, were interesting and helpful.
Jason Coffman
This is basically just the shooting script for the film (which includes scenes deleted from the original theatrical release and restored for the awful "director's cut") with a fairly lengthy interview with Richard Kelly acting as a preface to the script. The most interesting part of the interview is Kelly's description of his upbringing, on which he clearly based much of "The Box." Also, he mentions his "frat brothers" at one point, which explains in two words why his production company made the ...more
Phoebe
The book contains an introduction by Jake Gyllenhaal (nicely and honestly written), an interview with Richard Kelly (awesomely long and very informative and interesting!!!), the script (of course, as good as I remembered it from the movie - though it gave me some more input and understanding than I previously had), pages from "The Philosophy of Time Travel", and images and sketches from the film.
It is a real treat for fans of the movie itself, Richard Kelly and movie-making in general!
Derek Baldwin
Basically the shooting script for the film, plus extracts from The Philosophy Of Time Travel, and an interview with writer-director Richard Kelly. Interesting and (where the interview is concerned) occasionally illuminating: Donnie Darko is an outstanding film, this is not an outstanding book.
Alex  Skousen
Very insightful into the life of a film maker and what really goes into putting together an indie film. I enjoyed reading the screenplay as the movie is one of my all time favorites,it was extremely interesting to see how things transferred to film, what ended up getting cut, etc.
Tara Gulwell
Buy it, it will make you think about the intricacies of Donnie Darko even more then the film. The shooting script was some way so much funnier then the film too.
Bill G
This is a great companion to the movie. YOu get the script, some behind the scenes stuff and some of the Philosophy of Time Travel.
Corinne bell
really cleared everything up for me
Heather
I love this movie. I love this script.
Angelica
Angelica marked it as to-read
Dec 15, 2014
Elenadamaris
Elenadamaris marked it as to-read
Dec 14, 2014
Mojca
Mojca marked it as to-read
Dec 12, 2014
Nika
Nika marked it as to-read
Dec 12, 2014
Ashley Marie
Ashley Marie marked it as to-read
Dec 05, 2014
Antonela Zekic
Antonela Zekic marked it as to-read
Dec 04, 2014
Rileu
Rileu marked it as to-read
Nov 27, 2014
queenofbooks
queenofbooks marked it as to-read
Nov 27, 2014
Danielle
Danielle marked it as to-read
Nov 22, 2014
Mk
Mk marked it as to-read
Nov 22, 2014
Robin Stanley
Robin Stanley marked it as to-read
Nov 21, 2014
Brittany
Brittany marked it as to-read
Nov 18, 2014
Monica
Monica added it
Nov 19, 2014
Mely Shibby
Mely Shibby marked it as to-read
Nov 17, 2014
  • Donnie Darko
  • Clerks & Chasing Amy
  • Barn Owl's Wondrous Capers
  • +Anima 10 (+Anima, #10)
  • L.A. Story and Roxanne: Screenplays
  • From Dusk Till Dawn: A Screenplay
  • Jules et Jim
  • Being John Malkovich
  • The works of John Keats
  • The Royal Tenenbaums
  • Joe Bob Goes To the Drive-In
  • Showgirls, Teen Wolves, and Astro Zombies: A Film Critic's Year-Long Quest to Find the Worst Movie Ever Made
  • An Introduction to English Poetry
  • Aurora: Darwin
  • Doctor Who: The Silurian Gift
  • Batman: No Man's Land, Vol. 1 (New Edition)
  • The Quotable Doctor Who: Wise Words from Across Space and Time
  • The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug - Official Movie Guide
Richard Kelly is an American film director and writer, best known for 2001's Donnie Darko. Kelly grew up in Midlothian, Virginia where he attended Midlothian High School before getting a scholarship and moving to Southern California to study at the USC School of Cinema-Television. He made two short films at USC, The Goodbye Place and Visceral Matter, before graduating in 1997.

He has written script
More about Richard Kelly...
Southland Tales Book 1: Two Roads Diverge (Bk. 1) Southland Tales Book 2: Fingerprints Southland Tales Book 3: The Mechanicals How To Pass The Life In The Uk Test: A Study Guide To British Citizenship With Interactive Cd Rom Containing Practice Tests (Which) Quit Smoking: Stop Smoking Naturally Quickly And Easily (Give Up Smoking, How To Stop Smoking, How To Quit Smoking)

“The children have to save themselves these days because the parents have no clue.” 14 likes