Start by marking “The Donnie Darko Book” as Want to Read:
The Donnie Darko Book

The Donnie Darko Book

3.96  ·  Rating Details  ·  319 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
A companion volume to "one of the most original works of recent American Cinema"*

Donnie Darko was the surprise cult hit of 2001. Appearing nationwide on critic's year-end top-ten lists, the quirky independent film's effortless blending of science fiction, horror, adolescent angst, and social satire defied description while simultaneously providing "an unexpectedly poignant
Published October 31st 2003 by Faber & Faber

To ask other readers questions about The Donnie Darko Book, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Donnie Darko Book

Andre  Aguiar
May 25, 2016 Andre Aguiar rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A entrevista com Richard Kelly é, com certeza, a parte mais interessante do livro. Ele esclarece alguns pontos sobre os personagens, fala de seu processo criativo e ainda esclarece que não há apenas uma resposta. Para quem é fã do filme, essa seleção de textos é praticamente obrigatória na estante.
Giorgi Komakhidze
Jun 07, 2015 Giorgi Komakhidze rated it it was amazing
I'm sorry, Ms. Farmer, I just don't
get this.
(impatient)
Just place an X in the appropriate
place on the Lifeline.
DONNIE
I just don't get this. Everything
can't be lumped into two categories.
That's too simple.
MS. FARMER
The Lifeline is divided that way.
DONNIE
Well, life isn't that simple. So
what if Ling Ling kept the cash and
returned the wallet? That has nothing
to do with either fear or love.
(impatient)
Fear and love are the deepest of
human emotions.
Well, yeah... OK, but
Raquel Moritz
May 09, 2016 Raquel Moritz rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Livro feito sob medida pra quem é fã. Ter as palavras do Kelly guiando a compreensão do filme é algo único. E sobre a edição não tem nem o que falar: capa dura e linda, diagramação maravilhosa, ilustrações inspiradas em Donnie Darko, entre outras coisinhas.
Lety
Mar 15, 2012 Lety rated it liked it
The interview with Richard Kelly was interesting to read. While I read the script I found myself paying more attention compared to when I watch the film. As a result of this, some questions that I had from watching the film cleared up. I now understand why some events happened the way they did. The Philosophy of Time Travel pictures, towards the end of the book, were interesting and helpful.
Asghar Abbas
Nov 20, 2015 Asghar Abbas rated it it was amazing
Accidentally good
or
Inherently flawed?

Not Chris Nolan this one.
Jamie Logan
May 25, 2016 Jamie Logan rated it liked it
Kind of misleading, but it's a fascinating look into the making of a brilliant movie. It includes an interview with Richard Kelly and a version of the script that is somewhat different from the theatrical cut and sheds more light on certain themes/characters. Definitely worth a read for any fan of the movie.
Ana Gabriela
crazy
hard
kinda sad
Jason Coffman
Apr 25, 2011 Jason Coffman rated it really liked it
This is basically just the shooting script for the film (which includes scenes deleted from the original theatrical release and restored for the awful "director's cut") with a fairly lengthy interview with Richard Kelly acting as a preface to the script. The most interesting part of the interview is Kelly's description of his upbringing, on which he clearly based much of "The Box." Also, he mentions his "frat brothers" at one point, which explains in two words why his production company made the ...more
Phoebe
May 03, 2012 Phoebe rated it really liked it
The book contains an introduction by Jake Gyllenhaal (nicely and honestly written), an interview with Richard Kelly (awesomely long and very informative and interesting!!!), the script (of course, as good as I remembered it from the movie - though it gave me some more input and understanding than I previously had), pages from "The Philosophy of Time Travel", and images and sketches from the film.
It is a real treat for fans of the movie itself, Richard Kelly and movie-making in general!
Rebecca McNutt
Apr 13, 2015 Rebecca McNutt rated it liked it
Mostly a script for the movie, I was expecting more but I got less which s kinda disappointing. :( Interesting to see the few drawings though.
Derek Baldwin
Jul 28, 2011 Derek Baldwin rated it liked it
Basically the shooting script for the film, plus extracts from The Philosophy Of Time Travel, and an interview with writer-director Richard Kelly. Interesting and (where the interview is concerned) occasionally illuminating: Donnie Darko is an outstanding film, this is not an outstanding book.
Tara Gulwell
May 03, 2013 Tara Gulwell rated it liked it
Buy it, it will make you think about the intricacies of Donnie Darko even more then the film. The shooting script was some way so much funnier then the film too.
Bill G
Nov 12, 2011 Bill G rated it really liked it
This is a great companion to the movie. YOu get the script, some behind the scenes stuff and some of the Philosophy of Time Travel.
Corinne bell
really cleared everything up for me
Heather
I love this movie. I love this script.
Amanda Costa
Amanda Costa marked it as to-read
May 29, 2016
Ivana
Ivana marked it as to-read
May 27, 2016
Sergio Andrade
Sergio Andrade marked it as to-read
May 25, 2016
Dany Silva
Dany Silva marked it as to-read
May 25, 2016
Mareska
Mareska is currently reading it
May 24, 2016
Paula
Paula marked it as to-read
May 24, 2016
Kelson Douglas
Kelson Douglas marked it as to-read
May 22, 2016
Julia Mattos
Julia Mattos rated it it was amazing
May 21, 2016
Beatriz Blanco
Beatriz Blanco is currently reading it
Elaine
Elaine marked it as to-read
Juliana Brunaikovics
Juliana Brunaikovics marked it as to-read
Natália
Natália rated it it was amazing
Luiza Prates
Luiza Prates is currently reading it
Fabrício Capellini
  • Corridor: A Graphic Novel
  • From Dusk Till Dawn: A Screenplay
  • Caligula for President: Better American Living Through Tyranny
  • Joe Bob Goes To the Drive-In
  • +Anima 10 (+Anima, #10)
  • L.A. Story and Roxanne: Screenplays
  • The Royal Tenenbaums
  • Lost Highway
  • The Complete Poems of John Keats
  • An Introduction to English Poetry
  • Jules et Jim
  • Doctor Who: The Legends of Ashildr
  • Batman: No Man's Land, Vol. 3 (New Edition)
  • Showgirls, Teen Wolves, and Astro Zombies: A Film Critic's Year-Long Quest to Find the Worst Movie Ever Made
  • Clerks & Chasing Amy
  • Doctor Who: The Tenth Doctor, Vol. 2: The Weeping Angels of Mons
  • Being John Malkovich
Richard Kelly is an American film director and writer, best known for 2001's Donnie Darko. Kelly grew up in Midlothian, Virginia where he attended Midlothian High School before getting a scholarship and moving to Southern California to study at the USC School of Cinema-Television. He made two short films at USC, The Goodbye Place and Visceral Matter, before graduating in 1997.

He has written script
More about Richard Kelly...

“The children have to save themselves these days because the parents have no clue.” 21 likes