Start by marking “The Donnie Darko Book” as Want to Read:
The Donnie Darko Book

The Donnie Darko Book

3.93 of 5 stars 3.93  ·  rating details  ·  263 ratings  ·  10 reviews
A companion volume to "one of the most original works of recent American Cinema"*

Donnie Darko was the surprise cult hit of 2001. Appearing nationwide on critic's year-end top-ten lists, the quirky independent film's effortless blending of science fiction, horror, adolescent angst, and social satire defied description while simultaneously providing "an unexpectedly poignant
Published October 31st 2003 by Faber & Faber

To ask other readers questions about The Donnie Darko Book, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Donnie Darko Book

Lety
The interview with Richard Kelly was interesting to read. While I read the script I found myself paying more attention compared to when I watch the film. As a result of this, some questions that I had from watching the film cleared up. I now understand why some events happened the way they did. The Philosophy of Time Travel pictures, towards the end of the book, were interesting and helpful.
Giorgi Komakhidze
I'm sorry, Ms. Farmer, I just don't
get this.
(impatient)
Just place an X in the appropriate
place on the Lifeline.
DONNIE
I just don't get this. Everything
can't be lumped into two categories.
That's too simple.
MS. FARMER
The Lifeline is divided that way.
DONNIE
Well, life isn't that simple. So
what if Ling Ling kept the cash and
returned the wallet? That has nothing
to do with either fear or love.
(impatient)
Fear and love are the deepest of
human emotions.
Well, yeah... OK, but
Jason Coffman
This is basically just the shooting script for the film (which includes scenes deleted from the original theatrical release and restored for the awful "director's cut") with a fairly lengthy interview with Richard Kelly acting as a preface to the script. The most interesting part of the interview is Kelly's description of his upbringing, on which he clearly based much of "The Box." Also, he mentions his "frat brothers" at one point, which explains in two words why his production company made the ...more
Phoebe
The book contains an introduction by Jake Gyllenhaal (nicely and honestly written), an interview with Richard Kelly (awesomely long and very informative and interesting!!!), the script (of course, as good as I remembered it from the movie - though it gave me some more input and understanding than I previously had), pages from "The Philosophy of Time Travel", and images and sketches from the film.
It is a real treat for fans of the movie itself, Richard Kelly and movie-making in general!
Rebecca McNutt
Mostly a script for the movie, I was expecting more but I got less which s kinda disappointing. :( Interesting to see the few drawings though.
Derek Baldwin
Basically the shooting script for the film, plus extracts from The Philosophy Of Time Travel, and an interview with writer-director Richard Kelly. Interesting and (where the interview is concerned) occasionally illuminating: Donnie Darko is an outstanding film, this is not an outstanding book.
Tara Gulwell
Buy it, it will make you think about the intricacies of Donnie Darko even more then the film. The shooting script was some way so much funnier then the film too.
Bill G
This is a great companion to the movie. YOu get the script, some behind the scenes stuff and some of the Philosophy of Time Travel.
Corinne bell
really cleared everything up for me
Heather
I love this movie. I love this script.
Ks
Ks marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2015
Andreina Havok
Andreina Havok marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2015
Matt Evans
Matt Evans marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2015
Figgy
Figgy marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2015
Bawny
Bawny marked it as to-read
May 30, 2015
Daan K
Daan K marked it as to-read
May 22, 2015
Mark Riendeau
Mark Riendeau marked it as to-read
May 18, 2015
Liesa Luise
Liesa Luise marked it as to-read
May 18, 2015
Jasmin
Jasmin marked it as to-read
May 14, 2015
Arihant Jain
Arihant Jain marked it as to-read
May 12, 2015
Sebastian
Sebastian marked it as to-read
May 09, 2015
Alyssia Aliyy
Alyssia Aliyy marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2015
Jeremiah
Jeremiah marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2015
  • Donnie Darko
  • Joe Bob Goes To the Drive-In
  • L.A. Story and Roxanne: Screenplays
  • Barn Owl's Wondrous Capers
  • +Anima 10 (+Anima, #10)
  • From Dusk Till Dawn: A Screenplay
  • An Introduction to English Poetry
  • Batman: No Man's Land, Vol. 3 (New Edition)
  • Showgirls, Teen Wolves, and Astro Zombies: A Film Critic's Year-Long Quest to Find the Worst Movie Ever Made
  • Being John Malkovich
  • Lost Highway
  • Clerks & Chasing Amy
  • The works of John Keats
  • Jules et Jim
  • Dandelion: Memoir of a Free Spirit
  • Batman: No Man's Land, Vol. 1 (New Edition)
  • Drowning
  • The Canterbury Tales: A Selection
Richard Kelly is an American film director and writer, best known for 2001's Donnie Darko. Kelly grew up in Midlothian, Virginia where he attended Midlothian High School before getting a scholarship and moving to Southern California to study at the USC School of Cinema-Television. He made two short films at USC, The Goodbye Place and Visceral Matter, before graduating in 1997.

He has written script
More about Richard Kelly...
Southland Tales Book 1: Two Roads Diverge (Bk. 1) Southland Tales Book 2: Fingerprints Southland Tales Book 3: The Mechanicals How To Pass The Life In The Uk Test: A Study Guide To British Citizenship With Interactive Cd Rom Containing Practice Tests (Which) Ghouls: The Missing Colony

“The children have to save themselves these days because the parents have no clue.” 18 likes