Start by marking “The Cat Who Brought Down the House (Cat Who..., #25)” as Want to Read:
The Cat Who Brought Down the House (Cat Who..., #25)

The Cat Who Brought Down the House (Cat Who... #25)

3.75 of 5 stars 3.75  ·  rating details  ·  3,092 ratings  ·  109 reviews
Moose County's most prominent columnist/philanthropist James Qwilleran and his clever cats, Koko and Yum Yum, return to unravel the twenty-fifth mystery in the beloved bestselling Cat Who...series.

Unabridged € Four cassettes, 6 hours
Audio, 4 pages
Published February 3rd 2003 by Putnam Berkley Audio (first published January 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about The Cat Who Brought Down the House, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Cat Who Brought Down the House

Benjamin Thomas
This is the 25th book in the "Cat Who" series and yes, I've read them all up to this point. Only 4 more to go. I read these as a sort of comfort food; I've grown so used to the characters and town of Pickax ("400 miles north of everywhere") and they are such quick reads. The entire series has ended up on my book shelves thanks to my mother who has read them all. Consequently, I always think of her when reading one and since she celebrated her 80th birthday this week, I thought it appropriate to ...more
Storm Chase
I used to love Cat Who books. They were never very good mysteries, but I liked the characters. Sadly, they became worse over time and this book is a pointless shambles. The publishers should be ashamed to put this out. If you want to try a Cat Who, pick one of the first ten she wrote.
Jessica
Jim Qwilleran and his two awesome Siamese kitties go off to solve another mystery. This one revolves around a rich Mouse County native who comes back from California with wealth, a bunch of fancy hats, and a bunch of birds.

Unfortunately, the series has been slowly declining since about The Cat Who Sang for Birds (give or take a book or two). That doesn't mean that I didn't enjoy this book, however. The Cat Who books are like candy to me, and I swear my kitties have taken some mannerisms from Kok
Linda Fast
I have read better mysteries and found this a little bit boring. The book centers itself in a town called Pickax which is located in Moose County. After 60 years of living in Hollywood Thelma Thackeray comes back to live in Pickax and open a movie house. Quill as he is affectionately known is a newspaper columnist and befriends Thelma. Quill has 2 cats who have an uncanny knack for identifing people who are good or bad and this leads Quill on the lookout for investigating troublesome intents.
I t
Dagny
A slight departure from previous books, but a delightful read in celebration of this long-running series. A Moose County native, Thelma Thackeray, who has been in Hollywood for forty years, is moving to Pickax with her companion, her Amazon parrots and her outrageous hat collection.
Tracey
(playaway audio edition) insipid story about a bachelor living (by choice???) with two cats named Koko and Yum-yums(!!!???!?!?!!?!!WTF). I had to throw this away (figuratively speaking, it was a library copy) out of pure distaste when he started writing poems to save the kittens in the shelter from euthanasia. Anyone that's ever had anything to do with shelters will tell you the problem is NOT a lack of people who care about kittens, it's that there are just TOO MANY KITTENS to begin with. Would ...more
Teri
The Cat Who Brought Down The House #25 by Lilian Jackson Braun

It had been a few years since reading a Cat Who mystery and it felt like I'd never left Moose County, 400 miles from everywhere. James Mackontosh Qwilleran, a former crime reporter from Down Below, with his huge mustache, now does the weekly Qwill Pen column for the Moose County newspaper. Qwill and Koko, his very intelligent Siamese cat, solve the mystery surrounding Thelma Thackerey's brothers untimely death. Does the Kit Kat Revue
Holly
I have read many of Lilian Jackson Braun's Cat Who...series. They are enjoyable light reading. The whole series revolves around a journalist named Jim Qwilleran and his Siamese cat Koko. They live in Moose County, 400 miles north of everywhere. Koko is an intuitive cat that nudges Jim in the right direction when a mystery needs solving. And no Koko is not a talking cat! In this story an elderly lady returns to Moose County after a 60 years in Hollywood. She is flamboyant with her fantastic hat c ...more
Stefaniab
A friend of mine who loves mystery novels gave this to me. I guess I am not a fan of the "cosy" mystery genre. There was very little mystery and even less cats in this particular entry in the series. I had hoped for more cat interaction in the case, a la Carole Nelson Douglass' "Midnight Louie" series. Unfortunately, the Siamese cat of the title has little to do but yowl and spit at the culprit. It did not work for me.
Janice
I have enjoyed most of the Cat Who books. This one was a bit sluggish. It sort of limps along. It feels like all of a sudden she says-"oh yeah there was suppose to be a mystery--better wrap this up quick." The book isn't as focused as the other books in this series that I have read. Plus the characters seem a bit stuck. The don't seem But, that doesn't mean that I will stop reading the books. I haven't read all of them. I have seen in other reviews that the earlier books are stronger.
Lisa Kucharski
In terms of mystery, it was okay. You pretty much could figure it all out fairly easily, but proving it was a different thing. Again the characters are what you read the stories for and come back to learn how they are doing especially as the series gets toward the end.

Thinking that the author is approaching 80 at this point.
Diane
I read this out of curiosity. Cute premise and story - but I get tired of the fashion and architectural descriptions and constant reminders of who is who - although with its cast of characters I guess that is necessary. Will I read more in this series? Probably not. And that's just me.
Tori
Kirsti
Jan 17, 2012 Kirsti rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Cat lovers, Mystery lovers, Animal detective fans
Koko has shown his dislike of someone throughout this novel, and all signs are pointing to him being bad news. There are doubts raised over a possible murder/suicide by the local vet the year before, and his esteemed sister, Thelma Thackery, is back in town promoting her parrots, herself and her film club. Qwill is being the dependable host, and making sure she is comfortable, but all the while he is getting closer to the mystery. Have to say though, the food described in this one has left me st ...more
Patricia
After hering that I had just returned from the Upper Pennisula of Michigan, a friend, brought me this book. She had read most of the series. To her, the location seemed like heaven, She loved the little mysteries and the descriptions of the townspeople...and of course the cats.

Cats are not my favorite kind of folks, but I really liked the rest of the characters. I giggled at the townsfolks references to any one from the lower pennisula as being from "down there."

It was a fun read, but I don't th
Michelle Bizzell
I listened to this on audiobook during a road trip. It was simply fun! The mystery takes place mostly at the end, but Quill has too many social appointments to be dull.
Jmrathbone
A long time ago I read another “Cat Who” (I don’t remember which one) and found it to be amusing. This one is not only not amusing it is just plain boring.
Morgan
My grandmother introduced me to this series when I would stay over at her house. I guess it was basically this or a plethora of 'historical romances' (aka bodice rippers), so it was more acceptable to give to a young teenager (at the time).

Ever since she passed away, I've sort of picked one up every now and again to read. Not as much for the books themselves or the stories/characters, but for the memories. Just leaves you with a warm feeling that's unrelated to what you read.

That said this was p
Kimberly
"The Cat Who..." series of books are a light read, which I have enjoyed very much. This book was no exception. I have less than a handful of books in the series left to read, which makes me very sad.
Sue
I never tire of these delightful stories. Koko and Yum Yum are so much fun and the lives of the cats and Qwill, their human, are never mundane.
Sara
This is another in the Cat Who series. In this particular volume, Qwill meets Thelma Thackery, an octogenarian who has moved back to Moose County after a successful career as a Hollywood restauranteur. She plans to set up a supper club in Pickax with the help of her nephew. However, as the renovations move forward things begin to go wrong for the would be hostess. First her pet parrots are kidnapped and ransomed. Later a dead body turns up in a delivery van. Questions are even raised about the a ...more
Pat
Good, but Polly is disillusioned by the library and is looking for another career as a bookstore manager - Yikes!
Marti
Perhaps man readers would consider this series to be quite lightweight, but it is an enjoyable one, and I was thrilled to find this one at a book sale. According to Goodreads, I have now read 12 of the 30 books written by Lilian Jackson Braun. Of course, there may be a few that I hadn't recorded on Goodreads. At any rate, this was a delightful read, with Jim Qwilleran and his Siamese cats, Koko and Yum Yum, and the supporting characters, this time with the addition of Thelma Thackeray and her ne ...more
Lorraine
Thelma Thurston, a former resident of Pickax, is returning to town after a successful career in Hollywood as a restauranteur. She's bought the old Opera House and is turning it into an old-time movie palace, to be run by her nephew, Dick. Qwill has a reception for her at his apple barn, and gets her to agree to holding the Kitkat review at the Opera House (a fund raiser for cats and kittens). He doesn't take to Dick.

This was an OK read, the mystery was obvious. If I read any newer books, I expec
❂ Jennifer (reviews on BookLikes)
Nobody reads the recent Lilian Jackson Braun "Cat Who" books for the gripping mystery or suspense. Long time fans of the earlier books might read them simply to check in with characters so well written that they feel like friends and neighbours. That's why I recently acquired this book and spent a lovely day outside reading it. It felt a bit like a holiday, reading up on what everyone in Moose County is doing and hearing about the latest exploits of Koko and Yum-Yum. I've never been a big fan of ...more
Heather
This is an odd book. There's no clear mystery like the others in the series and in fact you get about halfway through and think where is Braun going with this story. Then at the end you get the feeling that she got tired if writing it and just throws an ending together. There's no building suspense; you know who the villian is from the very beginning. The whole thing is just structured very weirdly. Also, I'm all set with this whole advancing the story by reading Qwill's journal entries. The tac ...more
Melissa
Koko helps solve an old mystery. Very quick resolution.
Susan
I love Lilian Jackson Braun. Yum yum and koko did not let me down in this book. Its so refreshing to read her booksp
Beth
It's been years since I've read (or listened, in this case), to a The Cat Who book. I agree with other commenters that this one wasn't as engaging or as "mystery-like" as I remember the other books being. The mystery was practically solved earlier in the book, which made the end almost feel like a let down (or, rather, anti-climatic). I still enjoyed it, though. One thing about the narrator--every now and then he does a cat yowl, which I thought was a little creepy (it kind of made my hair stand ...more
The Women's Myste...: The Cat Who Brought Down The House #26 1 2 Aug 09, 2013 10:13PM
  • Murder at Monticello (Mrs. Murphy #3)
  • The Cat Who... Cookbook: Delicious Meals and Menus Inspired By Lilian Jackson Braun
  • Cat in a Neon Nightmare (Midnight Louie, #15)
  • Cat Under Fire (Joe Grey #2)
Lilian Jackson Braun was an American writer. She is well-known for her light-hearted series of The Cat Who... mystery novels. The Cat Who books center around the life of former newspaper reporter James Qwilleran, and his two Siamese cats, KoKo and Yum Yum in the fictitious small town of Pickax located in Moose County, "400 miles north of everywhere." Although never formally stated in the books, th ...more
More about Lilian Jackson Braun...

Cat Who... (1 - 10 of 29 books)
  • The Cat Who Could Read Backwards (Cat Who..., #1)
  • The Cat Who Ate Danish Modern (Cat Who..., #2)
  • The Cat Who Turned On and Off (Cat Who..., #3)
  • The Cat Who Saw Red (Cat Who... #4)
  • The Cat Who Played Brahms (Cat Who... #5)
  • The Cat Who Played Post Office (Cat Who..., #6)
  • The Cat Who Knew Shakespeare (Cat Who..., #7)
  • The Cat Who Sniffed Glue (Cat Who... #8)
  • The Cat Who Went Underground (Cat Who... #9)
  • The Cat Who Talked to Ghosts (Cat Who... #10)
The Cat Who Could Read Backwards (Cat Who..., #1) The Cat Who Saw Red (Cat Who... #4) The Cat Who Ate Danish Modern (Cat Who..., #2) The Cat Who Played Brahms (Cat Who... #5) The Cat Who Came to Breakfast (Cat Who... #16)