Start by marking “A Ride In The Neon Sun: A Gaijin In Japan” as Want to Read:
A Ride In The Neon Sun: A Gaijin In Japan

A Ride In The Neon Sun: A Gaijin In Japan

3.79  ·  Rating Details  ·  138 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
Fast paced and humorous, Josie Dew's sometimes absurd experiences riding through Japan are delightfully recorded in A ride in the Neon Sun. Cycle enthusiast or not, anyone considering a trip to Japan would do well to prepare themselves with this book. A Ride in the Neon Sun, informative and coupled with the author's social observations, provides the reader with a true pict ...more
Published 1999 by Little, Brown

To ask other readers questions about A Ride In The Neon Sun, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Ride In The Neon Sun

Chris Gould
Well it's a bit of fun from a person experiencing Japan for the first time, asking why, when and how every page, poking fun at the culture and almost acting proud that they can't speak the language. But to call it "a gaijin in Japan" is to create misnomer. Unless you live and work here, you can't really explain how a foreigner really feels, and the complexities involved when you find ways of accepting and even defending the cultural points that you previously looked down on - and Dew simply cycl ...more
Rinn
I loved this book. I read it when I was going through a phase of being fascinated with Japanese culture, and I'd highly recommend it to anyone going through a similar phase. Josie Dew is honest and funny, and she has some really lovely stories to tell about her encounters with various people. If you're into Bill Bryson, or similar authors, I'd recommend Josie Dew, as she has a similar style of writing - educational, yet funny.
Gabi Recknagel
Nov 13, 2012 Gabi Recknagel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Josie Dew's travelogues are always immensely enjoyable to read, but this one I particularly appreciated for the unique insight into Japan. Partly owing to her small stature (she says so herself!) and partly to her (for the Japanese) unsual form of travel, the responses she brings out in people reveal quite a different side to Japan than we in the West are usually exposed to. Highly recommended!
Andrea Mules
Jul 09, 2009 Andrea Mules rated it it was amazing
One of the more inspiring books I've read in recent years. Josie Dew has a great sense of the written word. She's funny, poignant, and weaves history and the clash and merge of cultures into her stories of travel and adventure. This book, of her ride around Japan, is wonderful. A must read for the traveler, the traveler at heart, Japanophiles, and bicycle lovers everywhere.
Ross-Barry Finlayson.
Sep 08, 2013 Ross-Barry Finlayson. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kept
Delightful, just delightful. Josie makes the reader feel that they are with her.If you are wanting to get into this type of travel, this book will convince you.
Gill
Aug 17, 2011 Gill rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A little difficult to get into, given what my sister calls "death by adjective". But in the end thoroughly "unputdownable".
Kiminmiki
Jul 31, 2011 Kiminmiki marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Tried to finish the book, but was not able to given the busy schedule :( nevertheless, hope to get the chance to borrow it again.
Bookguide
May 29, 2015 Bookguide rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone interested in Japan
Read in Dutch several years ago. I really enjoyed Josie's interactions with the locals who insisted on giving her little presents all the time. It was particularly interesting to read about the cultural differences in different parts of Japan. It was really helpful having a map to refer to and I especially liked the glossary of Japanese words. I was going to read this and pass it on through BookCrossing, but ended up keeping it. It's become my go-to book when I want to look at a map of Japan or ...more
Tucker Rowlinson
A wonderful travelogue from a perspective I haven't often seen in travel writing. Interesting characters abound, and a jovial look into the world of cultural and language barriers.
Vanessa
Jul 17, 2014 Vanessa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: keepers
Josie Dew writes amusing and informative travel books, peppered with personal anecdotes.

I enjoyed her insights into the Japanese culture and people and her writing style is comfortable and easy flowing. Recommended if you're thinking of visiting Japan.
Japan-based Brit
Dec 28, 2013 Japan-based Brit rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A nice adventure story based on the experiences of a Japan novice. Not all of the book is wonderfully accurate with preference given to over-reliance on stereotypes. But the situations described are those that a culturally-ignorant novice would realistically be expected to encounter. And she's a good writer too.
Nizam uddin
Nizam uddin rated it really liked it
Jun 13, 2016
Tanya
Tanya rated it really liked it
May 28, 2016
MelonSamba
MelonSamba marked it as to-read
May 19, 2016
Graz
Graz rated it liked it
May 17, 2016
Joss
Joss rated it liked it
May 15, 2016
Geoff Butler
Geoff Butler marked it as to-read
May 15, 2016
Nina
Nina marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2016
Zachary
Zachary marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2016
Kim
Kim marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2016
Jordan Funke
Jordan Funke marked it as to-read
Mar 13, 2016
Erin
Erin marked it as to-read
Mar 10, 2016
Brenda
Brenda added it
Mar 06, 2016
Kaplan
Kaplan rated it really liked it
Feb 07, 2016
Helena
Helena marked it as to-read
Feb 04, 2016
Megan
Megan marked it as to-read
Feb 03, 2016
  • Flying Scotsman: Cycling to Triumph Through My Darkest Hours
  • Cav: At Speed
  • A Bike Ride: 12,000 Miles Around the World
  • I Have Seen the World Begin: Travels through China, Cambodia, and Vietnam
  • In the Empire of Genghis Khan: An Amazing Odyssey Through the Lands of the Most Feared Conquerors in History
  • In Search of Robert Millar: Unravelling the Mystery Surrounding Britain's Most Successful Tour De France Cyclist
  • Memories of Silk and Straw: A Self-Portrait of Small-Town Japan