Start by marking “Rising, Falling, Hovering” as Want to Read:
Rising, Falling, Hovering

Rising, Falling, Hovering

C.D. Wright is one of America’s leading poets, an artist of idiosyncratic vision who demands ever more from words and poems. As Dave Eggers wrote in The New York Times, “C.D. Wright has been writing some of the greatest poetry-cum-prose you can find in American literature.”

Rising, Falling, Hovering is a work of profound social, political, and cultural consequence, a collec
Published April 1st 2008 by Copper Canyon Press

To ask other readers questions about Rising, Falling, Hovering, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rising, Falling, Hovering

Mia
Jul 21, 2008 Mia rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
I adore Wright's work. I read it in big savory shaking gulps. She is, as they say, one of our best poets. And of course all is fair subject matter for poetry and of course these shameful wars are too, but I'm tired of the easy trope from Afghanistan and Gulf Wars I and II of a poet who is upset by the news(paper). (NPR?) It seems to compound the shame. We killed all those people and our soldiers raped/got raped; were maimed ... and we're upset by the news.
Michael Edgerton
Dec 12, 2008 Michael Edgerton is currently reading it
C. D. Wright just keeps getting better and better. I love that she's not afraid to take real risks in her writing--which is not to say, to be "experimental" (which I say as someone who is often labeled as such)--or, rather, it's to be experimental in the original sense, and not merely in conformity with how a certain type of poetry gets defined.
M Wiegers
Mar 26, 2008 M Wiegers rated it it was amazing
Just rec'd an advance copy of this from the printer yesterday. Sat down with it in book form for the first time last night, and then dreamt about it. CD superimposes the war on terror over the war on our southern border, assessing the consequences of empire while reflecting upon daily considerations of more intimate relationships.
Helen
Mar 28, 2015 Helen rated it liked it
Love the imagery, the raw heartbreak of motherhood, the child growing up, growing distant, getting into trouble in places you can't control. Hate the lack of punctuation that left me winded and didn't give me enough time to filter things before pushing on.
Joe
You
Anymore
Jason
Mar 01, 2009 Jason rated it liked it
A woman who is spending time in Mexico, but she can’t focus on anything because her son is about to go to Iraq. The “Rising, Falling, Hovering” of the situation is the inconsistency she has with settling; she has no bearing. Everything appears at once, time is no longer linear. She sees her teenage son as a child and her lover as a veteran with PTSD. She sees all the possible problems, every different facet and she can’t sleep as she hallucinates the war-zone and its poverty in Mexico.

That is m
Robert Beveridge
C. D. Wright, Rising, Falling, Hovering (Copper Canyon Press, 2008)

I have to say, the alarms started going off in my head when the inside flap copy called this book “politically ferocious”. Despite that, I was with her for a while, but eventually the message did overtake the medium, as I feared. In fact, it got to the point where we headed into the land of “this is prose ranting chopped up into little lines to make it look like poetry” by the second half of the title poem:

“According to the Gaia
Dan
Jun 05, 2008 Dan rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: a person that has read poetry for awhile.
I just finished reading Rising, Falling, Hovering, on Monday and had the opportunity to hear the poet read the first half of the title poem at the Seattle Public Library Wednesday Evening (060408). Although the book has some short poems they are dispersed throughout the book and break up the longer Title Poem 'Rising, Falling, Hovering.' The poet herself described the style of the poem as almost cinematic where the subject changes throughout the poem as in a film fading in and out of different s ...more
Brian
Nov 16, 2010 Brian rated it liked it
C.D. Wright is an intellectual poet with passion that peaks through in interesting ways. She has been called a "political" poet, I suppose because of the references to U.S. wars and foreign policy. There are some powerful poems in this collection where indirect references and images from Iraq/Afghanistan are mixed with the perspective of a U.S. citizen viewing these events from Mexico, as well as an almost insider's view looking within Mexico. There are also starkly revealing images from the ind ...more
Travis
Feb 10, 2016 Travis rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
I feel torn writing this review. My overall understanding of most of the poems was limited, I found her meaning and train of thought difficult to discern but I think that is mainly due to my limited experience with poetry. But even in my limited understanding I found so much of her imagery deeply beautiful, original and poignant that I am sad to finish the book even after three months. I'd recommend her, this book and especially her poem Our Dust (http://www.theparisreview.org/blog/20...) which ...more
Kent
Oct 25, 2008 Kent rated it really liked it
I like this book a lot, for what it reveals about the speaker, for its political stance, and for the qualification of that political stance by the speaker's everday concerns. One of the reasons I think politics is avoided in poems is because people are usually self-conscious about preaching. And if they aren't self-conscious, they should be. What makes me appreciate the world view in this book is its honesty. The world goes on, and this speaker may be concerned with the war, but she also has to ...more
Mary
Jan 13, 2015 Mary rated it it was ok
Shelves: poetry
Unfortunately this unwieldy, picture book size volume of "political poetry" was just not my cup of tea.
Although there were five lines from the title poem Rising, Falling, Hovering (cont.) that just stood out for me:

and now it's Monday again

I have been to Pilates. I found my old coat

I took my will to the notary. I found my good glasses

I have filled my tank. I am going to the market

then I think I'll cut my hair off with a broken bottle
Sylvia
Dec 04, 2010 Sylvia rated it really liked it
Wright seems, with this collection of work, to have hit a confident stride. Yet again combining her taste for the lyrical and the vernacular, Wright turns her eye away from her more typical sexual poems and towards contemporary plights. The book focuses on the hardships of war, loss, immigration, etc on the global level, paralleled by their equivalents in the personal sphere. It seems as though through writing these poems Wright is trying to make sense of today's world... to expose the horrors.. ...more
Ann-marie
Jun 10, 2009 Ann-marie rated it it was amazing
I read the following poem, (only a segment included here)and I cried, knowing I had to do better, had to return to my own writing.

RE: Happiness, in pursuit thereof

It is 2005, just before the landfall.
Here I am, a labyrinth, and I am a mess.
I am located at the corner of Waterway
and Bluff. I need your help. You will find me
to the left of the graveyard, where the trees
grow especially talkative at night. . .

Lamar
Sep 22, 2015 Lamar rated it did not like it
white american woman travels to mexico during conflict.
proceeds to belittle actual struggles by comparing them to having a son in the us army.
proceeds to halfheartedly criticize american/consumerist culture by tossing in what little spanish she knows.
book wins a canadian poetry prize funded by a company that profits from conflicts in the middle east.

you tell me.
Charlotte
Apr 15, 2008 Charlotte rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: birds, people who want to learn spanish
This is maybe my favorite Wright book yet. Is that possible, that I love it more than Deepstep? I'm not sure. But I am sure, it's just so good & complex & the movement from and through repeated images & themes & phrases makes so much sense in a way that's impossible to describe. It it was describable it wouldn't be so good.
Aaron
Jan 28, 2016 Aaron rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: No one!
Recommended to Aaron by: NY Times
I have nothing nice to say about this book, so I'll say nothing except this ... I'm amazed by the positive reception and comments from other readers, and this ... I liked what another reviewer said, “this is prose ranting chopped up into little lines to make it look like poetry,” the key word being "rant."
Anna
In some ways I can't believe it took me this long to discover C.D. Wright's writing. I found this book refreshing and enjoyable poetry to read. I also appreciated that I personally connected with the topics in this particular book- personal, family, political and cultural.
Jessie
May 12, 2009 Jessie rated it it was ok
Shelves: poetry
There are still moments in here that shimmer and slice in the usual CDW manner, but I just couldn't get my bearings in this book; couldn't let myself be surrounded, I guess, or make the mental leaps with her.
Kyle Bella
Mar 08, 2010 Kyle Bella rated it really liked it
From the opening of the book to the end, C.D. Wright is sad, evocative, graceful, challenging, and committed to painful exploration. It is a true joy to read, and a piece of writing that will always have new surprises with subsequent re-reads. Highly recommended.
Tony
Jun 28, 2008 Tony added it
Shelves: verse
[ the best part was when it was over; no stars ]
Rich
Feb 02, 2009 Rich rated it it was amazing
When I want edge, Wright is where I go.
Russel
Jul 02, 2011 Russel rated it liked it
"So quiet the reporter heard from his kin. You wouldn't even notice him on your electric bill" but even so & so.
Dennis
Jan 08, 2009 Dennis rated it it was amazing
Wright has done it again! A lyrical poem that infuses the political and the personal. I am using this to study for my MFA thesis for sure.
Erica
Aug 10, 2012 Erica rated it liked it
Shelves: poetry

I didn't like this one as much as Deepstep Come Shining, though there were some beautiful moments here too.
Emma Bolden
Jan 02, 2011 Emma Bolden rated it really liked it
Gorgeous language, necessarily in fits and starts, a raw wire of danger searing every word.
Jennifer metsker
Jul 01, 2008 Jennifer metsker rated it it was amazing
The best C.D. yet. Poetry that seems to naturally emerge from the page as if it were naturally meant to be there.
Leigh Stein
Aug 13, 2011 Leigh Stein rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
"Let's be realistic: We are never coming back."
Rosa Jamali
Jan 02, 2014 Rosa Jamali rated it it was amazing
Wow! i was astounded by such beatific stuff, Ginsberg incarnated!
Jan
May 28, 2008 Jan rated it really liked it
the words get in your head. Even better than her last book of poetry Steal Away.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Men in the Off Hours
  • Interior with Sudden Joy: Poems
  • The End of the Alphabet: Poems
  • Elegy On Toy Piano
  • Trilogy: The Walls Do Not Fall / Tribute to the Angels / The Flowering of the Rod
  • Alphabet
  • Facts for Visitors
  • Sea Change
  • Commons
C. D. Wright was born in Mountain Home, Arkansas. She earned a BA in French from Memphis State College (now the University of Memphis) in 1971 and briefly attended law school before leaving to pursue an MFA from the University of Arkansas, which she received in 1976. Her poetry thesis was titled Alla Breve Loving.

In 1977 the publishing company founded by Frank Stanford, Lost Roads Publishers, publ
More about C.D. Wright...