Start by marking “Bring Me the Rhinoceros: And Other Zen Koans That Will Save Your Life” as Want to Read:
Bring Me the Rhinoceros: And Other Zen Koans That Will Save Your Life

Bring Me the Rhinoceros: And Other Zen Koans That Will Save Your Life

Bring Me the Rhinoceros is an unusual guide to happiness and a can opener for your thinking. For fifteen hundred years, Zen koans have been passed down through generations of masters, usually in private encounters between teacher and student. This book deftly retells more than a dozen traditional koans, which are partly paradoxical questions dangerous to your beliefs and ...more
Published November 11th 2008 by Shambhala (first published October 19th 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Bring Me the Rhinoceros, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bring Me the Rhinoceros

Cynthia Schmitt
Nov 04, 2013 Cynthia Schmitt rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"You need courage to find out what you really want in life, and what you want might be dangerous. But life is dangerous anyway, and there is a beauty in becoming more and more fully who you are.."
Mitch
Nov 22, 2016 Mitch rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An amazing journey

Tarrant has taken a very "difficult" subject, even intimidating, and made it easy to follow and to learn and to enjoy.
WolfBread
Oct 13, 2013 WolfBread rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I happened upon this book by accident, and it turned out to be one of the most unique reading experiences I've ever had. I found it by walking down an aisle in the library and realizing I was in the religion section. I had always had a curiosity about Buddhism, so I checked this one out along with a few others. Bring Me the Rhinoceros had such an odd title and a lofty promise (to bring me joy through something called a "koan") that I quickly ended up spending most of my time reading it.

I found o
Frank Jude
So, I'm not a fan of koan contemplation per se as practiced in Rinzai lineage zen. And I've not ever engaged in it as a practice. But I do like to "contemplate" koans in a less structured way -- and without the (often) egoic and heroic vigor encouraged by many within the Rinzai/Hakuin tradition.

That said, John Tarrant offers an intimate, rather down-to-earth, free (for the most part) of esoteric obfuscation approach to koan study and practice in this wonderful collection of 14 koans. Of course,
Elizabeth
Honestly, I think whether you identify as a Buddhist or not, there is something in this book for you. Maybe you'll find your first koan (or it will find you).

This one took me awhile, not because it's long, or particularly difficult, but because there was a lot there, and I wanted to spend some time with it, and I reread certain parts two or three times. This was my introduction to koans and koan practice. I've been a Buddhist for around four years, and I felt like my practice needed something to
Arminzerella
I've read and wondered at koans before - wondered how seekers find meaning in the "sound of one hand clapping," and how long it takes them to find *the* answer. After reading Bring Me the Rhinoceros I realized that koans are like a shorthand for a longer story. In their truncated form, they act as a reminder of certain truths, and presumably one gets to hear the longer version before one entering into contemplation. And if not, now there's this book which can help guide you on your path to enlig ...more
Gabrijela
Mel
Dec 30, 2012 Mel rated it it was ok
Recommended to Mel by: Aaron
Shelves: non-fiction
I think this would be a good book if you didn't read it like I did. It's not to be read like a normal book. I think you should read each section and then mull it over for a month. I enjoy zen koans, but this book was just too much for me because I tried to read it all at once. And so many of the koans made no sense to me--of course, like Tarrant says, the koans comes to you not the other way around.

On the other hand, Tarrant does a decent job of explaining his takes on the koans. Even though I f
Jack
Nov 26, 2011 Jack rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I thought I understood Zen and Koans until I read this book. I then discovered how little I did know.

This is an excellent book for anyone that is beginning or in an intermediate stage of the study of Zen. Though it is John Tarrant's journey into the world of understanding koans, he explains how you can learn to understand them and use them in your everyday world.

He also does much to dispel the notion of a follower of Zen being someone who sits and meditates all day long. By making the koan a par
Cathy
Mar 17, 2009 Cathy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book seeks to help the reader study koans without the help of a Zen master. This is a lofty goal and, I'm afraid, the goal was not quite achieved.

John Tarrant's writing style was very warm and instructive and reading the book was quite easy. He captured the challenge of working with koans well. Unfortunately, I think individual experiences in working with the koans vary too much for a book to be as much help as an actual person could be. If Tarrant starts a correspondence course for people
Ellen
Aug 12, 2009 Ellen rated it really liked it
I found Bring Me the Rhinoceros useful. If human beings have a natural ability to make bad situations worse, this book left me with some real tools for how not to do that. Through the use of koans and anecdotes of real scenarios he has lived through the author shows how to not add one's own expectations to a difficult situation, that is how to create harmony by not needing anything to be different. I felt he was successful in conveying what this would look like and why that was less painful for ...more
Adam Shand
May 28, 2012 Adam Shand rated it really liked it
Shelves: spirit
This is a premature review because I'm only on chapter three but, this book arrived yesterday in the mail as a random present from my Dad. Yesterday was an unusually frustrating day, and by the end of it I was pretty wrapped up in irritation bordering into righteous anger.

I started reading with a pretty distracted mind, more with hopes of being put to sleep than anything else. Suddenly, two chapters later I found myself outside for a pee break, giggling out loud at the inanity of my emotions. My
Jim George
Nov 30, 2012 Jim George rated it liked it
Simplistic koans, messages to wrap your thoughts about - or not. Everything happens without needing me to do anything. Ordinary mind is the way, there is no need to add or take away from what is going on. Usually people work hard to make something happen, yet it might be that things happen by themselves. Nothing is wrong, there is no flaw. What makes a human life real and beautiful is available in every place. Little tidbits of life to meditate on.....grasshopper!
Jason Wang
Jan 20, 2017 Jason Wang rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: long-term
SO GOOD! I just like this sort of stuff though. It echoes a lot of ideas form meditations, well it is the same thing probably. But being aware of your thoughts and your feelings helps you to take it into perspective, and helps a lot with anxiety and such. Anyway it was great, made me feel a lot less lonely, and i just love the ideas in this book, of just not knowing and being okay with uncertainty
Jane
Feb 02, 2012 Jane rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
This is an amazing book, unlike any book about Zen that I've ever read. The koans are as mysterious and cryptic as I expected but John Tarrant's writing about them is simple and lucid. I need to own the book so I can read it again and again. I love my fictions, the stories with which I narrate my life. This book comes as close as any every has to convincing me that I would be blessed and relieved to let them go.
Retrac
Feb 03, 2016 Retrac rated it liked it
Lighthearted attempt to discuss the concept of koans, which need a foundation in dharma before they should be approached, so beginners may find this book daunting or difficult to work with. Still, interesting and self-deprecating anecdotes help make it more enjoyable than a more classical approach perhaps.
Bryan Crossland
The first half of the book was not very appealing to me. Perhaps the writing or even the Koans. But midway through I felt more engaged and enlightenend by the koans and text. I will have to re-read the first half as I believe the writing and stories grew on me late. However it is still a very interesting and good read for those who are interested in Zen Buddhism and Koans in general.
Sara Miller
Jul 30, 2011 Sara Miller rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Just….interesting. At first I only felt so-so about it, but then with every koan came a real life issue I had and I grew to have a companionship with it. Pretty enjoyable read, it wasn't dry or anything, but I think I need to read it one more time to get the full effect of what he was trying to accomplish.
Springer
Jun 13, 2012 Springer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loaned to me by a dear friend, this is one of the best books I have ever read. Plan on reading a chapter at a time and then arguing with it, talking yourself out of it, being mad at me for recommending it, meditating on it, and then hoping it will stay with you forever, and then diving into the next chapter!
Edith
Jun 24, 2016 Edith rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: spirituality
This was such a beautiful, thoughtful book. I want to study koans further now. I always found them to be too much a riddle but, I now see that if you take one and live with it awhile you start to see your world differently.
Judy Kuhn
Jul 21, 2011 Judy Kuhn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ideas
Wise, wonderful, imaginative, compassionate; in true Zen tradition, Tarrant causes us to look at presumptions we never knew we had, using koans as gentle prods. This is lovely stuff. I read it over and over. You can read more Tarrant at his online koan course at
B.
Jan 03, 2011 B. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: be-better
Smart. I love how John explains how to think of Koans. Th explanations don't give anything away, but help you to really think of Koans in a useful way... applicable to all live. John Tarrant is an excellent teacher.
Fred Sampson
Dec 03, 2011 Fred Sampson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Tarrant gives a rare gift with "Bring Me the Rhinoceros" -- the lesson that koans are not ancient dusty inaccessible mysteries, but are instead open to discovery through our own daily lives. I now feel prepared to take on a few koans for myself, to uncover their meaning in my life.
Bassaidai88
This book was OK. There did not appear to be any great insights or moving sections. It offered a rational explanation for about a dozen koans with the authors own life experiences as a backdrop. It is OK to read if you want a healthy dose of anecdotal experiences with Zen interpretations.
Beth
Apr 07, 2014 Beth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thoughtful.
Max
Dec 21, 2008 Max rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I keep thinking of this book as Bring me the Rhinoceros of Alfredo Garcia...
James
Jul 18, 2009 James rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Tarrant is one of the most interesting/accessible contemporary Zen teachers IMHO. The commentary in Chap 12 on the "Bodhisattva's Great Mercy" (Blue Cliff Record case #89) really spoke to me.
Whitney Hannaford
So far I love it!
Joe Hunt
Apr 12, 2009 Joe Hunt rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is fun! [and, you know, insightful:].

What a great title.

(I've got to find the one I have, with "The Sound of One Hand Clapping." Pretty fantastic.)
Joe
May 15, 2012 Joe rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Worth a re-read.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Training in Compassion: Zen Teachings on the Practice of Lojong
  • Waking Up to What You Do: A Zen Practice for Meeting Every Situation with Intelligence and Compassion
  • The World Is Made of Stories
  • Zen Training: Methods and Philosophy
  • Opening the Hand of Thought: Foundations of Zen Buddhist Practice
  • Hooked!: Buddhist Writings on Greed, Desire, and the Urge to Consume
  • Going on Being: Buddhism and the Way of Change
  • Sex, Sin, and Zen: A Buddhist  Exploration of Sex from Celibacy to Polyamory and Everything In Between
  • Living with the Devil
  • Buddhism as Philosophy: An Introduction
  • Beyond the Self: Teachings on the Middle Way
  • The Book of Calamities: Five Questions About Suffering and Its Meaning
  • Branching Streams Flow in the Darkness: Zen Talks on the Sandokai
b. 1949. John Tarrant is the author of “The Light Inside the Dark” and “Bring Me The Rhinoceros”. He directs the Pacific Zen Institute and has taught koans for over 30 years.

More about John Tarrant...

“It’s true though, that the impulse to give freely to the world seems to be at the bottom of the well of human intentions where the purest and clearest water arises. To be able to offer back what the world has given you, but shaped a little by your touch—that makes a true life.” 1 likes
“You need courage to find out what you really want in life, and what you want might be dangerous. But life is dangerous anyway, and there is a beauty in becoming more and more fully who you are, in paying attention to, as well as being pulled along by, your red thread.” 0 likes