Start by marking “Reference and Information Services in the 21st Century : An Introduction” as Want to Read:
Reference and Information Services in the 21st Century : An Introduction

Reference and Information Services in the 21st Century : An Introduction

3.31 of 5 stars 3.31  ·  rating details  ·  383 ratings  ·  58 reviews
This innovative text features an all-new approach that will change the way you think about reference service. The only reference text to identify the top resources in major subject areas and genres, it shows students how to approach the reference query by matching specific types of questions to the most appropriate format (when answering questions that require handy facts, ...more
Published July 1st 2006 by Neal-Schuman Publishers

Be the first to ask a question about Reference and Information Services in the 21st Century

karen
ahhhhh.... so i just finished my take-home final and i realized that means i am done done done with this book! oh god that feels good. this is the newest edition of this particular textbook, and while it is of course a boring old textbook, there is actually a ton of really useful information in it: so many websites to find information that i'm sure i will be expected to know when i become the world's best librarian. i mean, yes, its dull as death, but at the end of each chapter there are about 5 ...more
Greg
Two stars. I don't know how this book could be better, I guess it is the subject that makes it only a two star book. Typical chapter: this is what an X is (x can be a dictionary, or an atlas, or an index or some other reference material). Now we state the obvious, and now we give a ton of one paragraph or so synopsis of tons of different X's out there.

Me while typically reading a chapter: Yep I know what an X is, because I don't live in a cocoon. Oh, lots of very fast descriptions, most of whic
Michelle
Boring, but there's a lot of information here.
Melinda
Have to read for my grad course
Emma (Miss Print)
Reference and Information Services in the 21st Century by Kay Ann Cassell and Uma Hiremath was my assigned textbook for my required reference class toward my master's degree in library and information science. Having completed a semester of library school I have realized that a lot of writing about the ins and outs of libraries can be quite dry. (I tell my mother the titles of books I need to read and she starts to laugh nervously. For a really long time.)

That said, this one is not as bad as it
Kate
Jul 25, 2014 Kate rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: dewdroppers, waldos, and slackers
Recommended to Kate by: Roy
Shelves: ischool
"The world of human reference can be fraught with the pressure to 'just answer.' The point to remember is 'do not do it.'"

"'Disappearing into the stacks,' as one study found is quite simply unthinkable."

"It seems clear then that the Internet is here to stay, perchance to flourish."

"Moments of flamboyance in reference transactions are rare."
Denise
I found this book notable mostly for its omissions, and have found that very little of the resources covered in the book are stuff I ended up using in real life reference. Also I found the organization odd, with chapters like "events and people past and present" and "when and how to use the Internet as a reference tool." I would have organized it with more plain things like History, Biographies, Current Events, Government materials, Statistics, etc. Putting "Internet" in its own special chapter, ...more
Anna
I'm still in LIBR 210, and this book initially was such a yawn to me. There's a new edition that's already come out, and so I know I wouldn't be able to sell this book on Amazon. However, in and of itself, this textbook will be a handy reference in my librarian office. The authors try to write in a colloquial style to relieve some of the tedium of the topic, which seem a bit corny. On the other hand, their lists have been handy for all my reference exercises, especially with regard to encycloped ...more
Heather
I didn't read this whole book, but found it incredibly useful, specifically for the explanations of how to find information in different formats/types of resources and the suggested websites in each section. It was my textbook for my reference course in my MLIS program at the U of Wisconsin-Milwaukee. I would probably buy a copy of it if it weren't so exorbitantly priced. Instead... thank God for ILL!
Christa
A good guide for the library information science student. Basic information to guide librarians in their field. Although, many chapters may seem simplistic, it's the simplicity that we sometimes need as librarians when helping patrons find information. However, if you're a student reading this book and haven't been a librarian yet, then it would be hard to vision this until you're in that situation.
Eric Phetteplace
solid introduction to all things Reference, I especially liked the in-depth bibliographies and the lists of the top 10ish resources for each particular realm of reference (i.e. government, encyclopedia/ready reference, medical, etc...). Good coverage of Web 2.0 topics and where reference is headed. I see myself carrying this book to work sometimes, it's that handy.
Rob
This book is full of excellent reference resources and practical tips for working in reference services. It covers how to handle reference questions, customer service skills, which kind of reference resource to use for which questions, reference collection development, and the future of reference services. I'm keeping it for use on the job someday!
Maryanne
This was an extremely informative and entertaining (yes, entertaining...I know, right??) introduction to reference services that included oodles of useful follow-up reading and recommended sources. Definitely a text that any librarian (and teacher/researcher/etc. for that matter) should not just read, but keep close at hand.
Hannah
In addition to teaching the reader about how to do reference, this book is a reference work in and of itself. Each chapter that discusses a particular type of reference material (e.g. dictionaries or government documents) lists the top ten reference sources of that type - both print and electronic.
Michelle Young
Although I took the core class 520 for an overview of reference materials and services, I feel barely equipped to provide competent service to public library patrons. This is a nice reference for reference services (heh heh), that offers general guidance and describes domain-specific resources.
Christen
Well, it's not for light reading, but there is good information in here. Because library science is married to technology, and technology is chaning all the time, I'd recommend supplimenting this book with more up-to-date articles on topics addressed in the book.
Carmyn
While the content wasn't the most gripping topic in the world the book provides a TON of excellent resources and also explains the strengths and weaknesses of each. Great tool for understanding how to meet patrons reference needs in any library.
hannah
This really opened up reference as a dynamic, interesting, complicated topic for me. And the resources it offers are really helpful, even though I'm not planning on being a reference librarian. I almost wish I had bought instead of rented.
Jenny
Some chapters were incredibly basic ("Dictionaries provide definitions...") but many of the specific resources suggested, especially for specialized reference (e.g. medical and legal), were current and helpful. Dry reading overall though.
Victoria Galvan
This book was very informational and educational. I will take almost everything and apply to my library once I become a librarian. I am actually going to take some of this and apply now as an English and Reading teacher.
Krystal
Textbook for a class on reference/research I am taking that turned out to be amazingly useful. Not for everyone, of course, but if you are in the market for a good reference source for reference sources, certainly check this out.
Bonnie
I learned a lot from this book and thought it was much better than the Bopp & Smith text I had to suffer through in my reference class in library school. I'm using it for the class I'm teaching next semester at the iSchool.
Lisa Anne
On principal I generally give text books no more than 3 stars, but this book listed many resources that I could readily use so I decided to give it one more. If half stars were allowed the rating would be a 3.5.
Amy
I actually rather enjoyed reading this textbook. It was useful not only in our in-class discussion, but I flagged many pages I expect to be of use on the final, on our comprehensive exams and in my future career.
Danica Midlil
This book is like reading a catalog of all the reference resources you Might buy for your library. just thrilling.
I did not find it to be very helpful or easy to learn from since it was mostly a very long list.
Patty
Okay, I have to say that I always list my textbooks as a bit of a joke but I have learned so much from this textbook and my reference class that I really do think it deserves these four stars!
Jamie
This was a painless textbook while I was reading it, but then I stopped, because the book attempts to put in writing what can best be learned by doing. Has some good resources.
Kate
This book is like a tiny, paperback clown car stuffed with all the right resources one could ever need. Apparently, reference librarians know how to make that happen.
Elizabeth
Rating is for a text book. It fit the parameters of the clas and gave helpful charts with reference sources (in print and online).
Sheri
The book wasn't nearly as pointless as the class and professor who assigned it. I will keep it as a reference, but that is about it.
  • The Organization of Information (Library and Information Science Text Series)
  • Management Basics for Information Professionals
  • The Portable MLIS: Insights from the Experts
  • Fundamentals of Collection Development and Management, 2/e
  • Foundations of Library and Information Science
  • Cataloging and Classification: An Introduction
  • Readers' Advisory Service in the Public Library
  • Librarian's Guide to Online Searching
  • What's the Alternative? Career Options for Librarians and Info Pros
  • Reference and Information Services: An Introduction (Library and Information Science Text Series)
  • The Atlas of New Librarianship
  • Rethinking Information Work: A Career Guide for Librarians and Other Information Professionals
  • The Readers' Advisory Guide To Genre Fiction
  • Library and Information Center Management
  • From Cover to Cover: Evaluating and Reviewing Children's Books
  • Double Fold: Libraries and the Assault on Paper
  • Revolting Librarians Redux: Radical Librarians Speak Out
  • Scholarship in the Digital Age: Information, Infrastructure, and the Internet
Reference and Information Services: An Introduction Developing public library collections, policies, andprocedures: a how-to-do-it manual for small and medium-sized public libraries Developing Reference Collections And Services In An Electronic Age: A How To Do It Manual For Librarians (How To Do It Manuals For Librarians) Reference and Information Services in the 21st Century: An Introduction Collection Development Process Manual