Start by marking “Warhost of Vastmark (Wars of Light & Shadow, #3; Arc 2 - The Ships of Merior, #2)” as Want to Read:

Warhost of Vastmark (Wars of Light and Shadow #3)

3.97 of 5 stars 3.97  ·  rating details  ·  2,264 ratings  ·  31 reviews
Janny Wurts’s epic tale of two half-brothers cursed to life-long enmity reaches new heights in the third volume, now re-released with a striking new cover.

Tricked once more by his wily half-brother, Lysaer, Lord of Light, arrives at the tiny harbour town of Merior to find that Arithon’s ship yards have been abandoned and meticulously destroyed, and that the Master of Shado
Mass Market Paperback, 522 pages
Published July 1st 2009 by Voyager (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Warhost of Vastmark, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Warhost of Vastmark

Gardens of the Moon by Steven EriksonA Game of Thrones by George R.R. MartinThe Blade Itself by Joe AbercrombieThe Black Company by Glen CookDeadhouse Gates by Steven Erikson
Military Fantasy
143rd out of 207 books — 357 voters
The Name of the Wind by Patrick RothfussThe Wise Man's Fear by Patrick RothfussEnder's Game by Orson Scott CardArtemis Fowl by Eoin ColferDoors of Stone by Patrick Rothfuss
Genius Protagonist
68th out of 90 books — 60 voters

More lists with this book...

seak
Warhost of Vastmark is the third book in the Wars of Light and Shadow series, but it was originally intended as the second half of book two. Either way, with all of the set up that happened in The Ships of Merior, book two, Warhost was a blast to read from page one.

There will be spoilers from this point in the review on, but I'll try to keep them to the first two books.

Warhost starts right of the bat with one of the biggest mysteries from the last books. What happened to Kharadmon, one of the di
Jim
Another fantastic adventure in all meanings of the word. I love the subtle way the curse wends its way through circumstance & sorcery. Better yet is the way truth & justice are twisted about. Best of all, it's set to an epic fantasy.

As a hardback, The Ships of Merior is the book & it contains both the story in that paperback & this one. To any Wurts fan, that means the summit reached at the end of the first book is grand, but the one in this book is even better. Everything is dra
Stefan
Warhost of Vastmark by Janny Wurts takes up directly where The Ships of Merior left off. The two books are definitely meant to be read back to back - together they comprise Arc 2 of the author's THE WARS OF LIGHT AND SHADOW series, and some editions actually combine both of them in one cover.

It's hard to give many details of the story without throwing in spoilers for The Ships of Merior, so I'll just say that the ongoing conflict between Arithon and Lysaer, which reached a seeming climax at the
Chris
I thought my review of The Ships of Merior would be inadequate, but I feel even more that way now, after finishing the direct sequel. While the division between the two books was done in such a way that they individually satisfy, Warhost really brought the whole 1100 page sequence to a grand conclusion.

The two books together serve as Arc II of Janny's huge epic, The Wars of Light and Shadow. Originally intended as a single volume, the work was split into two. The division gives a reader a chance
Kerry
I remain totally blow away by this series. I know that's not helpful as any kind of review, but in truth they are something to experience for oneself and not something I can describe. Certainly not in this moment as I finish. If I can, I'll add something later, but I make no promises.
Sandra
Alissa
The engulfing finale of the scenario unrolled with The Ships of Merior, Warhost of Vastmark offers frantic chases, layers of carefully planned subterfuge, ingenious bending of circumstances and counterploys, fateful auguries, bloody battles and the incredible, growing cast of well-rounded characters I’ve come to love in this series, whose wills closely intertwine with the strategies pursued by the Princes with unexpected results.

The Fellowship Sorcerers, in their quest to free Arithon and Lysaer
orannia
Four and three-quarter stars. Although this series focuses mainly on two half-brothers, Arithon and Lysaer, for me this book was the journey of a secondary characters - the Fellowship spellbinder Dakar. The man at the end of the book bears...only a physical resemblance to the one we met at the beginning. His journey was immense - I had forgotten, or maybe I never realized it to begin with. I like hims so much more...

Lysaer, on the other hand, fair does me in! Yes, he's been cursed, so yes we sho
Jon
May 25, 2010 Jon rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: epic fantasy lovers
Recommended to Jon by: Jim
Taken as a whole, Ships of Merrior, of which Warhost of the Vastmark is the second half of the second story arc, delivers satisfying character development, layered, intricate and emerging plots, and astounding visuals vividly drawn.

Due to a very hectic week at work, I am unable to flesh out this review at this time. Please check back for more later in the week.

I highly recommend this Warhost of the Vastmark, and suggest that it be read back-to-back with the first half, Ships of Merrior.
Paige225
Adored this book! Sat down to read it...and didn't stop til I was though it. Could not put it down. there are scenes in this book unlike anything I have ever read. Just when I think it can't get more intense, more painful, more gut wrenching...everything I am feeling in the writing triples, then triples again...stunning.
Jeff
My favorite of the series so far...a great read. Full review: http://fantasybookreviewer.blogspot.c...
Cody
Hmmm...Warhost of Vastmark.

The Wars of Light and Shadow books are really challenging my expectations. On one hand, I'm continually challenged and impressed at the writing itself and the sentence structure. The plotting of how there are handy time jumps and only the important parts of the story are told is also great. On the other hand, I'm having trouble getting behind some of the character reactions and some of the "forced plot" moments.

For instance, Dakar is a terrible piece of crap throughout
Tammy
Lysaer amasses armies to continue his relentless pursuit of Arithon, who does everything in his power to thwart the warhost by evasion, delay, and bloodshed.

'Warhost of Vastmark' is the second half of the paperback version of 'Ships of Merior' whose length caused the two to be split. Like the previous two books, it takes awhile to get into the story, but by the end, I am completely absorbed. Even with the build up/anticipation, the battles do not disappoint. (Generally, I'm ambivalent about larg
This Is Not The Michael You're Looking For
Warhost of Vastmark represents the end of the second Arc of the Wars of Light and Shadow. It was originally published in the US as the second half of a single larger book (The Ships of Merior), but stands very much on its own. A large part of this book is essentially just getting pieces into place for the final confrontation; unlike the earlier two volumes, there is much less world-building or character development in this story. The major exception is Dakar, the mad prophet, who while still wel ...more
David Cornelson
One of the aspects of Janny's works, especially Wars of Light and Shadow, is that things get dark at times. They get very dark. The writing will literally drag you down into a depressive state because she intentionally shares the mood of the story at every turn. You might argue that you don't want this to happen while reading fiction because you want to strictly read for fun and I get that, but there are reasons for the tone.

Through darkness and your forbearance, you will be heavily rewarded wit
L.Y. Levand
Lady Shahrizai
Okay, I'm enjoying reading this series, but I don't at all like Lysaer s'Illesid and his curse-fostered bent toward destroying Arithon s'Falenn. I suppose that's the way it's supposed to be (i.e.: the author's intent), but there have been three major battles already (over three novels, encompassing thousands of deaths) which Lysaer has lost and he remains clueless (i.e.: in denial of his possession of the curse of the Mistwraith) and curse-bent on the destruction of his half-brother. He's an arr ...more
Jean Hontz
Odd I've read this and the Attolian books back to back because Arithon reminds me so much of Gen the Queen's Thief. Both are all about complex and secretive plots they are slow to share with anyone.

I'm greatly enjoying this series, although it can get to be a tough read as war is waged across varying landscapes and little is hidden of the horrors of such warfare.

The Curse continues as brother is pitted against brother, the one gathering huge armies to track down and kill his half-brother, as th
Bryce
Lysaer's just a teeny bit angry at Arithon after the events of the previous book. Arithon continues to try to elude Lysaer's machinations but is bound to survive at all costs. A lot more people die while the two half-brothers battle each other both on the battlefield and in the hearts and minds of the people of Athera.

Man...getting through these books is quite the slog, but the end has so far always been a great read. Still...it takes a lot of effort to work through the text. I've noticed that J
Sue Davies
The forces of light and shadow come together in a massive conflict to end all wars.
Whitepixels
This is actually the second part of Ships of Merior (it was split in two volumes because of its length). One of the greatest epics I have ever read. While it revisits the themes of many fantasy books, it is highly moving and original, and both warring parties - Light and Shadow - have well explained and believable motives and never lose their honour, integrity, and humanity (unlike the pure-evil forces of Darkness in almost all other epics). The ending is one of the most intense and poignant con ...more
Kathleen
In Warhost of Vastmark everything kind of brilliant and sweeping and excellent hinted at/seeming to develop/starting to happen in Wurts's series really falls into place. The characters have come into their own (unexpectedly tear-inducing moments of development/catharsis for oafish Dakar in this book--just to warn you), a few of the twisty plots have circled round in a satisfying manner, and those that remain or have been introduced become that much more intriguing.

Looking forward to the next.
Leigh Bain
Janny wurts has a style of prose that is beautiful but sometimes difficult to follow. I still love her style & found this noook to be one of the more enjoyable. Purpose preparing for the inevitable, war between the brothers, we see which alliances will stand up & which will crumble sure to the mistwraith curse. The impending battles which bring lysaer's companies to their entanglement with the spinner of darkness are exciting & entertaining.
Yati
My review of the previous book stands. Though the changing of alliances of certain quarters is giving me whiplash. While I expected it to happen, it happens almost suddenly, and I'm not even sure what is it that drives everyone's loyalty to either brother any more.
Caroline
Another fantasy series I read so long ago that I don't remember much about it, but I do remember really enjoying the tension and grand intrigue of this series. I lost track of it, but it's one I need to revisit one day.
Kofi

darkness seeks harmony

darkness triumphs
light dims..
David
Better, less grim, though still takes too many opportunities to ratchet the gloom to 11.
Questo è ancora più bello dei precedenti!!
This series it great! I'm on the next
Ban
See review of book #1
  • The Sun Sword (The Sun Sword, #6)
  • Servant of the Empire (The Empire Trilogy, #2)
  • Fortress of Eagles (Fortress, #2)
  • Darknesses (Corean Chronicles, #2)
  • The Scarab Path (Shadows of the Apt, #5)
  • A Sword from Red Ice (Sword of Shadows, #3)
  • Prince of Dogs (Crown of Stars, #2)
  • Blood and Memory (The Quickening, #2)
  • The Ragged Man (Twilight Reign, #4)
  • World Without End (Moontide and Magic Rise, #1)
  • The Other Lands (Acacia, #2)
  • A Time of Exile (The Westlands, #1)
Janny Wurts is the author of War of Light and Shadow series, and To Ride Hell's Chasm. Her eighteen published titles include a trilogy in audio, a short story collection, as well as the internationally best selling Empire trilogy, co authored with Raymond E. Feist, with works translated into fifteen languages worldwide. Her latest title in the Wars of Light and Shadow series, Initiate's Trial, cul ...more
More about Janny Wurts...

Wars of Light and Shadow (10 books)
  • The Curse of the Mistwraith (Wars of Light & Shadow, #1)
  • The Ships of Merior (Wars of Light & Shadow, #2; Arc 2 - The Ships of Merior, #1)
  • Fugitive Prince (Wars of Light & Shadow, #4; Arc 3 - Alliance of Light, #1)
  • Grand Conspiracy (Wars of Light & Shadow #5; Arc 3 - Alliance of Light, #2)
  • Peril's Gate (Wars of Light & Shadow #6; Arc 3 - Alliance of Light, #3)
  • Traitor's Knot (Wars of Light & Shadow #7; Arc 3 - Alliance of Light, #4)
  • Stormed Fortress (Wars of Light & Shadow #8; Arc 3 - Alliance of Light, #5)
  • Initiate's Trial (Wars of Light & Shadow #9; Arc 4 - Sword of the Canon, #1)
  • Destiny's Conflict (Wars of Light & Shadow #10; Arc 4 - Sword of the Canon, #2)
The Curse of the Mistwraith (Wars of Light & Shadow, #1) Stormwarden (The Cycle of Fire, #1) Keeper of the Keys (The Cycle of Fire, #2) The Ships of Merior (Wars of Light & Shadow, #2; Arc 2 - The Ships of Merior, #1) Fugitive Prince (Wars of Light & Shadow, #4; Arc 3 - Alliance of Light, #1)

“You know, that's the trouble with drinking. Come the morning, you can never remember their names.” 0 likes
“Did I mention any name?" But dissembling was wasted; Eldir only glowered until Sethvir gave way with a shrug. "That's the part of his personality that makes us all feel like we've been kissing coiled vipers for a penny bet.” 0 likes