Start by marking “The Pillars of Rome (Republic, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Pillars of Rome (Republic, #1)

The Pillars of Rome (Republic #1)

3.59 of 5 stars 3.59  ·  rating details  ·  133 ratings  ·  10 reviews
Youths Lucius and Allus appeal to the Sybil, Roman oracle and mystic, for a glimpse into their future. But all she offers are ominous words and a small metal charm of an eagle Over twenty years later and the men are still friends. Allus, now the former governor and a respected soldier must face his toughest battle yet when his wife Claudia is captured by Celtic invaders. A ...more
Published November 1st 2007 by Allison & Busby

To ask other readers questions about The Pillars of Rome, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Pillars of Rome

Denise
Found this selection on a free ebook site from Google Play. A surprisingly good read and quite authentic in its discussion of Roman culture. Had enough characters to be interesting without being confusing. Each character had their own little agenda and these were all woven well throughout the book's plot.

There were a few spots where the plot dragged but I still found myself wanting to read just a few more pages before bedtime. Looking forward to the two remaining books in this Roman trilogy as
J
I really enjoyed this, far more than I expected to, since it cast $2 in a newsagent sale bin.
Historically correct as a fictional work can be, yet interesting and engaging. I am only disappointed I cannot find the second and thirds of this series.
I believe, an author to keep an eye out for.
Katie
Good book. I found Aulus' character to be a tad cliched at times but, overall, a pretty a good read. I really enjoyed hearing the stories of Marcellus and Aquila and it was VERY historically accurate. That's what most impressed me. I'm tempted to read the next one now!
Margareth8537
Audiobook read by Nick Boulton
I do enjoy starting a new series late so that I already have the other books to hand. Just as well as I was quite happy to carry on with the other two books.
Nicely written with a bit of variety
Tim Dunn
Great read, sometimes could drag out a little, but I'm so fascinated by the history of the Roman Empire, the dragging bits are still pretty good. Can't wait to read the next two novels.
Masen Production
“Another of the ROME series, I am apt to read the whole series. Nothing great to write about except that at times I was tempted to put it down. ”
Paul
Gritty, historically accurate (I suspect), entertaining. Looking forward to the next one.
Luciana Cavallaro
A good story with believable characters whose actions are easily identified with.
Bob Trotter
Loved all the charactars, but it could be a bit slow at times.
Susan
intensely exciting trilogy of roman legions
Sunit Sheth
Sunit Sheth marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2015
Mark Frieze
Mark Frieze marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2015
N I
N I marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2015
Sue
Sue marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2015
Brian
Brian marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2015
Cozzmo
Cozzmo is currently reading it
Apr 21, 2015
Bennett Francis
Bennett Francis marked it as to-read
Apr 21, 2015
Claudio Delzanno
Claudio Delzanno marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2015
Willowblue
Willowblue marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2015
[Name Redacted]
[Name Redacted] marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2015
Debs
Debs marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2015
Hannah
Hannah marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2015
Deniz Kocatürk
Deniz Kocatürk marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2015
Jthitchc Hitchcock
Jthitchc Hitchcock marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2015
Shaked
Shaked marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2015
  • Rome: The Eagle of the Twelfth (Rome, #3)
  • Hero of Rome (Gaius Valerius Verrens, #1)
  • Ship of Rome (Masters of the Sea, #1)
  • Lion Of The Sun (Warrior of Rome, #3)
  • Hannibal: Clouds of War (Hannibal, #3)
  • Tyrant (Tyrant, #1)
  • Arrows of Fury (Empire, #2)
  • The Siege (Agent of Rome, #1)
  • Of Merchants & Heroes
  • Memnon
  • Tribune of Rome (Vespasian, #1)
  • Attila: The Judgement (Attila Trilogy #3)
  • The Blood Crows (Eagle, #12)
  • Ovid (Marcus Corvinus, #1)
JACK LUDLOW is the pen name of writer David Donachie, who was born in Edinburgh in 1944. He has had a variety of jobs, including selling everything from business machines to soap. He has always had an abiding interest in the naval history of the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries, which he drew upon for the many novels he has set in that period. The author of a number of bestselling books, he now ...more
More about Jack Ludlow...

Republic (3 books)
  • The Sword of Revenge (Republic, #2)
  • The Gods of War (Republic, #3)
Mercenaries (The Conquest Trilogy, #1) Warriors (The Conquest Trilogy, #2) Conquest (The Conquest Trilogy #3) The Gods of War (Republic, #3) The Sword of Revenge (Republic, #2)