Me On The Map (Turtleback School & Library Binding Edition) (Reading Rainbow Readers (Pb))

3.92 of 5 stars 3.92  ·  rating details  ·  210 ratings  ·  81 reviews
FOR USE IN SCHOOLS AND LIBRARIES ONLY. A young girl describes how her room, her house, her town, her state, and her country become part of a map of her world.
School, 32 pages
Published August 1st 1998 by Turtleback (first published 1996)

midnightfaerie
Wonderful book! Very educational and a great social studies lesson! My 5 yr old already knew most of what's in the book, his name, his address, his state, his country, his continent, and the world. But seeing it from another kid's point of view in a book was fun for him. He immediately ran over to our map to find Kansas, which is where the girl in the book lived. My 3 yr old twins loved it, because it was full of maps and reminded them of train tracks. They spent the better part of an hour movin...more
Jess
For younger students. Helps them to understand maps, and the differences between maps. It starts with a child in their room and slowly expands to encompass the neighborhood, the town, the city etc, until you see a picture of Earth. Then it goes backwards to the child back in their room.
Oh My Bookness
Brittany Perez
#Book Review
Me On The Map
Author: Joan Sweeney
Illustrator: Annette Cable

Date: December 21, 2013

llustrated in full color, Me on The Map takes a approach on explaining maps in a abstract way. In full color and in a playful way, Me on The Map first introduces you to maps and geography, step by simple creatively simple step. How you ask? A young girl shows readers first shows readers a drawn map of her room done in crayon, than her house on the map of the street, all the way to her coun...more
Margie
Sweeney, J. (1998). Me on the map. Decorah, IA: Dragonfly Books.

Citation by: Margie Findley

Type of Reference: Geographical Reference

Call Number: GA130 .S885 1996

Description: An introduction to where children live.

Relevance and Relationship: For around $7.00 this book helps young children begin to learn where they live in relation to the World. It is great interest building and learning activity. A parent on Pinterest even offers a great learning project to assist with visual learners.

Purpose: T...more
Samantha Hagler
This book was short, yet informative. It was about a young girl who wanted to place herself on a map. The girl drew a diagram of her room, her house, and herself near her house. The illustrations were vivid and bright, and would easily keep grade school students engaged and focused. "Just think in rooms, in houses, on streets, in towns, in countries all over the world, everybody has their own special place on the map." This book could be used as an art and math activity to introduce measurements...more
Suz
I like that the book starts with the girl making a map of her bedroom, which is something familiar and personally meaningful - then works outward from that point with other maps until she shows her location on a world map. Then, it narrows back down, reversing the sequence so that it ends with the original map. It's a great way to review what was covered in the book.
Patty
Illustrator: Annette Cable
Age: Elementary
Summary: A little girl discovers where she is on the map.
Applications/Uses: While students are learning about geography and the places they live it is a nice introduction to read this story, then have the students map out where they live in relation to their town, state, country, continent, planet. When doing this activity you can use Bing.com (their maps application) to show the students where they are on the map and move out and back in from their town->...more
Amy
I thought this was a great book for kids to read while learning about maps. It gives examples of different kinds of maps, what they look like, and talks about maps' importance in our lives. It really breaks maps down: there is a map of the world, then a map of our country, then the main character's state, her town, her street, and her home. Then she makes a map of her house. I think this should definitely be used in any lesson learning about maps and travel, and then students can make their own...more
Jennifer Kim
This book is a great short but informative book to help students understand the concept of maps. It is a story about a young girl who wants to discover where she is on the map. It starts off with the young girl in her room and then slowly branches out to eventually show the Earth. This book would be a great use in the classroom to help students understand maps and the differences between them. This book could easily be adapted to create an activity for students in which they can draw a map of th...more
April Castle
This book is very informational for kids to explain what a location is. This is a great book to use to inform students about maps, globes, and the world. It shows kids how big the world is besides your street. I like how it references the room, to house, to street, to town etc.. It works up then back down again to her bedroom. Great map book and very interesting how it shows the illustrations as if you were looking down over top of it.

Keywords: map, town, street, world, country, location
Elizabeth Mcdonough
The narrator is a young girl. She is drawing a map of places she lives. She starts with her bedroom and then makes the following maps:
Her house
Her Street
Her Town
Her State (Kansas)
Her Country (United States)
Her Continent (North America(
Her World (Earth)

This book is good for Social Studies lessons. You can use the book to teach about maps and teach the class where they live (1st grade standard). The students could construct their own maps of the places they live.
Debbie Mcclure
reread this book in fall of 2010. Simple book about maps ranging from the map of a child's room, to a map of the world. Good concept book to teach the idea of creating a map. Could also be used to teach the different levels of citizenship, i.e. member of a house, live on a street, member of a town, member of a state, member of a region, memeber of a country, member of a continent, member of a world...

Primarily for lower elementary grades of ELL students
Schuerra
This book was great for S.S it taught kids the importance of maps and how to use maps. This book was very child friendly and taught them the difference between maps. Also i feel the book was a great tool in the class room for my younger students as a refernce. The book had colorful pictures and was very relatble to the way a child thinks for example maps of you home or neighbor hood and then the maps expanded so that kids coud grasp the concept of maps.
Amy
This is a great book when teaching students about maps in a geography lesson. After reading the book, they can make a map. It has a cumulative story line starting with a map of the child's room to a map of the world. It has many geography terms in it as well. For example map, street, state, country, town, earth, and etc. It also ties everything together at the end and goes back to the map of the child's room.
TheMcafeeKids
She finds her town. She finds her province and her country in her continent. We live in North America. Canada.

I made a map of my room. I made a map of my house and also my room. A map is looking at my room from above. I made the map with my Mom. It has my bed and my closet, my blanket and my bear.

I forgot to ask my Dad to help me make a map of my city but now I am going to make it now with him.
Rachel Feather
This book is an excellent book for teaching social studies. It uses the expanding environment approach which targets a young child's point of view. It starts with "me" and "my room." As the book continues, it includes the town, mentioning key places that would be of interest to a young child. "Me on the Map" shows children how they each have their own special place in the world.
Teresa
This book shows a girl teaching about maps. She starts with a map of her room, then adds the room to a map of her house, and takes this all the way to a map of the world. Then she shows how to find what you want on a map starting big with the world and then all the way down to the map of her room. The end mentions people all over the world that have a special place on a map.
Theresa
I liked this book because it shows young children that they belong somewhere while teaching them about maps. The narrator starts with the map of her room which leads up to a map of her house then a map of her street, all the way up to the map of the world. Then it goes back from the world to her room. I would recommend this book for the primary level.
Kirei
This is a wonderful book for helping children understand mapping. First it shows the girl's room, then the city, then the state (Kansas), then the country (U.S.A.), then the world map. I don't think the world map is 100% accurate, but I guess it is close enough. I couldn't find New Zealand--it is totally on the other side of the map from Australia!
Paula
Read 9/5/2013 for Energizers Plus (mainly K-2 grades). A very informative, but simple book about one child's place on the map, but everyone can relate to. Colorful illustrations help reinforce the words. To further the information for this week, kids created nesting maps (using 5 different sized cups), activity sheets, and created their own maps.
Phylicia Bohannon
Me on the Map is a great introduction to maps for younger students. It starts out with the girl in her room, it zooms out to her street, city, state, country, and zooms back out in the same order. The book is well organized and teaches students basic geography. I ook interest to this book immediately because of it's organization.
Logan
I liked the idea of this book, showing how you start with a map of your room. Then show your room on a map of your house, then your house on a map of your street and so on. But somehow, I don't think it clicked with Logan. I'm not sure why. He got more out of "As the Crow Flies," probably because that one is about animals.
Lavinia
This book was about a little girl, and she made a map of her room. In her map of her room, her and her teddy are on her bed. She shows us the maps of her country and continent and Earth and her state and her street.

I loved this book, because it was colorful. I liked the dresses on the girls in the picture of the Earth.
Casey
Repetitive and easy to read text that presents a lot of activities to use with a kindergarten(ish) class. Helps kids grasp the concept of space and the world. Opens door to diversity discussion by looking at how small of space we take up and then thinking about the other spaces all around the world.
Tika
Aug 21, 2007 Tika rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: high/scope gading
this book is one of the finest book for children to learn about map..because it starts from the simple picture of map, which is our own bedroom...and so on. If my school has this book, it;s gonna be great because i can share with my kids about what they can do to know about the map.
Samantha
Used this book in my unit on 2nd grade geography. Would definitely recommend it to anyone teaching the concept of mapping in the classroom. The book starts with the main character drawing a map of herself in her room and expands to her finding her country on a world map.
Christine Levinge
I would use this book when teaching about map reading skills. It contains great pictures and explains how to locate certain places on the map that are relevant to you. This book is a great way to show children how useful Social Studies is in their everyday lives.
Pretend City Children's Museum
Sep 06, 2011 Pretend City Children's Museum rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: All Children
What a great book! Aren’t you glad that books can help your child reach more milestones than just learning to read?! By reading Me on the Map, your child is learning the importance of knowing where home is or even what your address and phone number are!
Linda Costello
I love the idea of students reading this book and creating their own Me on the Map book... great for mapping skills!Students will connect to their own lives and the literature by creating maps of their own personal world, imitating the maps in the book.
Jake
This is the PERFECT book for parents/teachers who want to explain the whole street/town/state/country thing to kids. (Although mommy wishes they'd mentioned counties . . . we talk a lot where we live about being from our county, rather than our town.)
  • Mapping Penny's World
  • What a Wonderful World
  • If the World Were a Village: A Book about the World's People
  • The Salamander Room
  • Sarah Morton's Day: A Day In The Life Of A Pilgrim Girl
  • My Five Senses Big Book (Let's-Read-and-Find-Out Science, Stage 1)
  • Astronaut Handbook
  • Me I Am!
  • All the Water in the World
  • 17 Things I'm Not Allowed to Do Anymore
  • My Brother Martin: A Sister Remembers Growing Up with the Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
  • The Crayon Box that Talked
  • Immigrant Kids
Me and My Amazing Body Me and the Measure of Things Me and My Place in Space Bijou, Bonbon and Beau: The Kittens Who Danced for Degas Me and My Family Tree