Start by marking “Understanding Marc Bibliographic: Machine-Readable Cataloging” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Understanding Marc Bib...

Betty Furrie

Understanding Marc Bibliographic: Machine-Readable Cataloging

Published January 1st 2003 by Johns Hopkins University Press (first published December 31st 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Understanding Marc Bibliographic, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Understanding Marc Bibliographic

Maggie
Apr 01, 2008 Maggie rated it liked it
A good primer on MARC bib records, but I would still suggest using any of the interactive training/quiz things on the OCLC website in addition to this.

When reading this I found myself caught by how dated it is in some aspects (you can put whole pieces of information on FLOPPY DISKS!) and how much MARC may be lacking for what our patrons need out of the catalog. While it organizes what information it contains in a marvelous way, perhaps it's the type of data we're using and not it's quality that'
Amanda
Jun 10, 2014 Amanda rated it liked it
Understanding MARC Bibliographic provides a brief (very brief) overview of MARC records. It is, at best, a very general introduction and only helped me for my first couple of days in my Masters level cataloging course. The author does not discuss all of the different fields, leaving out important and notable fields, which made the review useless after a certain point.
Katrina
Katrina rated it it was ok
Apr 01, 2011
Andrew
Andrew rated it it was ok
Jun 15, 2008
Sarah rated it liked it
May 08, 2008
Jocilyn
Jocilyn rated it really liked it
Dec 18, 2011
Walter Alvarez
Walter Alvarez marked it as to-read
Nov 02, 2012
Asha Jindal
Asha Jindal marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2013
Judith Mutelo
Judith Mutelo marked it as to-read
Jan 27, 2015