Start by marking “Five Little Monkeys Reading in Bed” as Want to Read:
Five Little Monkeys Reading in Bed

Five Little Monkeys Reading in Bed (Five Little Monkeys)

The titles in Eileen Christelow's books all carry the Five Little Monkeys theme, and all will delight children with their antics.
Published 2007 by Scholastic

To ask other readers questions about Five Little Monkeys Reading in Bed, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Five Little Monkeys Reading in Bed

Stephanie
I loved reading this one to Caleb! It's funny, silly, and has nice rhymes (I love rhyming in kid's books). I think it's a great book to promote reading to little ones too since the monkeys are reading all kinds of books from scary stories to funny stories. It also has some repetition with the mother coming back into their bedroom and saying the same thing each time; I think kids will appreciate that and catch on quickly. This is a keeper that I'm glad to have on Caleb's shelf! I'll have to get h ...more
Erica
Oct 19, 2011 Erica rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-book, animal, 2011
The monkeys are back! Mama reads them a book and they want to read just one more... and one more. It's a silly book that kids and parents will love because they've been told, "Just one more book."

After mama tells them it's time for lights out, they keep reading more books. And each time mama comes to their room, tells them lights out. After the monkeys turn out the light they hear a giggle and a sniff. Then they catch mama reading in bed.
Donalyn
Another fun installment in the Five Monkeys series. This time, the young monkeys can't go to sleep because they are reading!
Kimberly
How can these five little monkeys be expected to sleep when there are so many good books to read?! I feel you, monkeys. I feel you.
Sally
Read at co-op for the 5-8 yo group for a number sense lesson on five.
Shelby Summerville
The book Five Little Monkeys Reading in Bed is a series book, written and illustrated by Eileen Christelow, her five little monkeys book focus on counting. The story is about the five little monkeys at bedtime. It begins after their mother has been reading them bedtime stories, she kisses them goodnight and turns off the lights. The five little moneys bed for Mama to read one more story, but she has already read four to them and is tired. As she walks out the door one monkey picks up a book and ...more
Tim Hackbarth
Mar 24, 2014 Tim Hackbarth rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
The genre of the book is anthropomorphic. The monkeys have been tasked to turn out the lights and go to sleep. Their desire to keep reading prevents them from staying on task. The monkeys explore a book that makes them cry. Mama comes in and reminds them of their task. The monkeys are compelled to read again. This time they choose funny book. They cannot contain their laughter. Mama again has to intervene. Once the monkeys have finally settled and mama gets ready for bed, she is confronted with ...more
Kelsey
Sep 04, 2012 Kelsey rated it liked it
Shelves: counting-books
This fun sing-song book plays off of the nursery rhyme "Ten Little Monkeys Jumping on the Bed". This book, like many others in this series by Christelow, switches activities that the 5 disobeying monkeys perform while they should be asleep in bed. This activity happens to be reading emotion-provoking picture books against Mama's orders. Each time they are too loud, Mama comes in and barks out the same order: "Lights out! Sweet dreams! No more reading in bed!" After each time that she comes in, s ...more
Barbara
Nov 04, 2011 Barbara rated it really liked it
It's bedtime, and after Mama has read several books to her five offspring, she turns the lights out. But the five monkeys are intrigued by the books left on their bed, and they begin to read them. When they make too much noise, Mama must return repeatedly to settle them down. In the end, the only thing that works is removing the books. But the little ones are not the only readers in the family, and they soon hear Mama enjoying the books as well. The humor in this title is gentle, and it might be ...more
Angie
Nov 06, 2014 Angie rated it it was amazing
Synopsis: "After their mama reads to them, it's bedtime for The Five Little Monkeys. But they can't resist reading just one more book . . . or three! Soon Mama is so tired of trying to get her monkeys to quiet down and go to sleep, she picks up their books and takes them with her. At last, the monkeys are ready to settle down . . . until they hear strange sounds from down the hall. Could it be that Mama likes to read in bed, too?"

My Review: It is like this book is written for our house (other th
Laila
Jun 01, 2016 Laila rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens-books
This was a sweet book and I think young children may find it amusing. While it was a good book, I think I would tire of rereading it multiple times.

Rating system for children's books:
1/5 - The child and the adult will probably hate this book or this is not actually a children's book.
2/5 - I'm willing to read this only once to a child. It was terrible - No rereads. Ever.
3/5 - It was fine, but I didn't enjoy reading it. I may reread this very rarely to a child.
4/5 - This was a good book and I'
Salima Hart
This is a nice little twist to the popular "Five Little Monkeys Jumping on the Bed". Instead of "jumping", these little monkeys are reading. The mother in this story tells her kids to go to sleep, but the monkeys want to read. Mother continually pops her head in throughout the story and tells the monkeys to go to sleep, but they continue to read. Finally the mom takes the book and leaves, only to realize that she also can't put the book down.I think that this is a cute story because not only doe ...more
Ramona
Dec 19, 2015 Ramona rated it it was amazing
The illustration and ideas are clear and funny. The story impacts younger children as they have fun using the illustrations as well as they story. This story also explores feelings through voice as the monkeys read a funny story and a scary story. It is a motivational and engaging book that would get children wanting to read and explore different moods in books. This book can be used in a kindergarten math class. It can also be used to get students motivated in reading (the monkeys were reading ...more
Kristen
Aug 08, 2016 Kristen rated it liked it
Shelves: kids-books
This book was ok. I expected it to be along the theme of 5 Little Monkey's Jumping on the Bed with a twist... but it really wasn't.

It was still a cute book about the monkey kids staying up late to read different types of books after their mom told them to go to bed. There is a cute little twist at the end. I just didn't feel like it was executed as well as it could have been --- but that might be because I had slightly different expectations for the book.

Overall a fun bedtime read for young kids
Melissa Sommer
Oct 24, 2011 Melissa Sommer rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-book
This story was about when the monkeys mom reads to them, and it’s bedtime for the Five Little Monkeys. But they can’t resist reading just one more book. Soon their mom is so tired of trying to get her monkeys to quiet down and go to sleep, she picks up their books and takes them with her. Finally, the monkeys are ready to settle down. I enjoyed this book because it had a cute ending. I liked how it ended with the mom reading the books. I think the kids will enjoy this book and think it is funny.
Rachel Yingling
Sep 10, 2012 Rachel Yingling rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was easy to read with the simple, rhyming words. Most children sre familiar with the nursery rhyme five little monkeys and this plays off of that, so it's easy for children to understand. I liked that it showed how much fun reading can be in a way that children will understand. Children will be able to relate to the monkeys in that they chose to read instead of going to bed. I really liked how it ended with the mom enjoying the same books her little monkeys had been enjoying. It shows ...more
Meg McGregor
Jun 19, 2013 Meg McGregor rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-to-lexi
These five little monkeys sure do enjoy reading books which is heartwarming to see but they still need to listen to their Momma.

A great book to show even the youngest child that reading is one of the most fun activities as you meet new friends and have new adventures.

Read to your children at least 20 minutes a day and remind the older ones they need to read at least that much everyday too!
Maia
Aug 07, 2016 Maia rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
When I read the title of this book, I knew I had to read this new take on the classic "Five Little Monkeys" to my infant class. It is a funny, adorable book that book-lovers can show children that reading is fun and that adults and children alike can enjoy the same stories... but at the appropriate time. Yeah, I still have a hard time putting my own books down at bedtime. And also the books I'm supposed to read the next day to my infant class. :)
Sarah Adamson
A "sequel" to the nursery rhyme 5 monkeys jumping on the bed. In this very short book, the monkeys want to read in bed. It's time to go to sleep so mama says no but they carry on reading anyway. Funny ending that made me laugh out loud as it's exactly what would happen in our house! In fact I brought the book through to my husband to read so we made it true!
Wish it were longer with more options of books to match the five verses/monkeys and wish it hadn't ended with a scary story.
Carina Windom
Jul 20, 2012 Carina Windom rated it really liked it
Shelves: math-reads
This book could potentially help with understanding cardinal counting. Mainly because the five little monkeys are always in the story, but they are engaged in different activities. this could be incorporated into a station by having the monkeys be the theme but engaged in different scenarios as a collective ( in essence, remaining five). This way students realize that no matter what, they do, there are always five monkeys.
Bianca Wilson-price
Jul 20, 2012 Bianca Wilson-price rated it really liked it
This book is good for working with kindergarten and first grade and teaching students how to count down from different positions on the number line. Also, we the monkeys continuously in the story, they make for stations in the classroom where the students could take on parts of the story to count and exemplify, as well as create their own math stories.
Carol
Dec 09, 2010 Carol rated it liked it
Shelves: picturebooks
Endearing as all of the other "Five Little Monkeys" books, this story works very well as a component of the book bag project on Monkey Business because it models reading with one's family and reading in bed. Also, it can be used as an introduction to the series of "Five little monkey" books for future children's book choices.
Jeanette Johnson
Nov 23, 2011 Jeanette Johnson rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
I love this version of the Three little monkeys. I have spent many a night reading late into the night when I know I will regret it in the morning. These monkeys go through a nice variety of genres in the nightly reading. Mama keeps coming in to tell them to go to sleep. She herself is caught reading in bed which I thought was a cute twist.
Ruth Ann
Aug 15, 2014 Ruth Ann rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-book
This is a perfect picture-book for reading aloud and it will delight children. The pictures are bold, expressive and funny. The rhyming text and repetition have a contagious beat that will make listeners want to chime in. And best of all, the ending has a twist . . . Mommy is not following her own rules. She is reading in bed!
Terri
Jun 23, 2015 Terri rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
Really cute story. My son went to story time at the library and this book was sitting on the table so we checked it out. He wanted to read it all the time. He loved the story. It is cute to see monkey's reading in bed instead of falling off the bed. It had a good rhythm and good illustrations. It was engaging and fun.
Nicolette
Mar 05, 2012 Nicolette rated it it was amazing
This book is so cute! It rhymes and it makes reading seem so fun and exciting! This is a good one to read to kids when they are first learning how to read because it makes them want to learn on their own. In the story the monkeys are having such fun reading that it actually makes me want to read more!
Erin
Jun 04, 2014 Erin rated it liked it
I'm not sure how I feel about this one. It still has the rhythm (for the most part) of the 5 Little Monkeys Jumping on the Bed rhyme, but I'm not the biggest fan of the mama telling the monkeys to stop reading. Yes, the mama ends up getting caught reading in bed after they get scolded, but still.

Okay for storytimes.
Courtney
Apr 10, 2015 Courtney rated it really liked it
My son picked this book out for nap. He liked the pictures and it read really well. I am always for books that encourage reading. I am looking forward reading more from this author. I know my children will be!!
Erica
Jul 06, 2012 Erica rated it it was amazing
As a fan of reading who's working to share this love with my children, a cute book about monkeys staying up too late to read, getting busted by mama, who in turn is busted by the kids for reading their books is a winner.
  • Chicks Run Wild
  • Read to Tiger
  • Let's Sing a Lullaby with the Brave Cowboy
  • Bear's Loose Tooth
  • No Sleep for the Sheep!
  • Mr. Duck Means Business
  • Mrs. McNosh Hangs Up Her Wash
  • Mitchell's License
  • Tiny Little Fly
  • Creepy Monsters, Sleepy Monsters
  • Beep! Beep! Go to Sleep!

Five Little Monkeys (10 books)
  • Five Little Monkeys Jumping on the Bed