Start by marking “Organizing Knowledge: An Introduction to Managing Access to Information” as Want to Read:
Organizing Knowledge: An Introduction to Managing Access to Information

Organizing Knowledge: An Introduction to Managing Access to Information

2.87 of 5 stars 2.87  ·  rating details  ·  62 ratings  ·  3 reviews
For its third edition, this text on knowledge organization and retrieval has been revised and restructured to accommodate the increased significance of electronic information resources. With new sections on topics such as information retrieval via the Web, metadata and managing information retrieval systems, the book explains principles relating to hybrid print-based and e ...more
Published January 1st 2000 by Gower Publishing Company (first published January 1987)

To ask other readers questions about Organizing Knowledge, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Organizing Knowledge

I found myself thinking at each chapter, "oooh. That's the kind of work I *really* want to do." I found this much easier to get through than Introduction to Cataloging and Classification or Cataloging and Classification: An Introduction both of which I tried to read on my own, as opposed to this book which I read for a class.

By including chapters on user behavior, and context about how cataloging rules and norms developed, this book manages to take this driest of subjects and make it digestible.
The information is great and very useful to me 3 years after I first read it. However it is not a book that is easy to digest. I had to read in chunks. I suggest marking passages and advice that you find important as you will come back to it at a later date.
Insanely dry and dense, making it quite hard to stick with.
Shohruh marked it as to-read
Nov 09, 2015
Nicola is currently reading it
Oct 15, 2015
Jingwei is currently reading it
Nov 14, 2015
wly added it
Oct 02, 2015
Ganesh marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2015
Subir Mukherjee
Subir Mukherjee marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2015
Tayeb marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2015
Jamie Contreras
Jamie Contreras marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2015
Aimee added it
Aug 02, 2015
Sandra Janah
Sandra Janah marked it as to-read
Feb 20, 2015
Ben Jeffrey
Ben Jeffrey marked it as to-read
Jan 20, 2015
Cam added it
May 06, 2015
Jenn added it
Dec 26, 2014
Echoone is currently reading it
Oct 04, 2014