Belle Weather: Mostly Sunny with a Chance of Scattered Hissy Fits

Belle Weather: Mostly Sunny with a Chance of Scattered Hissy Fits

3.85 of 5 stars 3.85  ·  rating details  ·  1,645 ratings  ·  169 reviews
Bestselling Author of We’re Just Like You, Only Prettier and Bless Your Heart, Tramp

Hang on to your hats! We’re in for some fiercely funny weather and crackling-sharp observations from Celia Rivenbark, of whom USA Today has said, “Think Dave Barry with a female point of view.”

With her incomparable style and sassy southern wit, you’ll hear from Celia on:
--The joys of remode...more
Published August 19th 2008 by St. Martin's Press (first published July 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Belle Weather, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Belle Weather

Me Talk Pretty One Day by David SedarisBossypants by Tina FeyDress Your Family in Corduroy and Denim by David SedarisNaked by David SedarisRunning with Scissors by Augusten Burroughs
Humorous Memoirs and Non-Fiction
78th out of 378 books — 789 voters
The Help by Kathryn StockettTo Kill a Mockingbird by Harper LeeThe Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk KiddFried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe by Fannie FlaggGarden Spells by Sarah Addison Allen
Quirky Southern Fiction
303rd out of 558 books — 1,459 voters

More lists with this book...

Another funny collection of stories and sarcastic essays. Fun and easy read!
Rhonda
It's difficult to review an audiobook because there are two things to consider: the written material, and the narration.

In this case, the written material is brilliant! I listened to it in my car and the people around me must have thought I was nuts, laughing so hard as I drove. I am not a Southerner but I still could relate to her take on the ridiculous things we all live with every day.

The narration is done by the author herself, and while it is fun to hear the writer's voice, she is not a p...more
Bunny
Okay, she needs to write another one. Now. Because I'm out, and Cod knows how many horrible books I'm going to read until she puts out another one.

This one is fun. Of all of her books, We're Just Like You, Only Prettier is my least favorite, but it still deserved five stars. This one earned it's five and then some.

This had more flow to it, it wasn't just a collection of essays. It covered everything from home renovations (thanks for making me FREAK OUT, Mama Celia!), letter to Britney Spears (m...more
Angela
Quite honestly, this book probably would have merited only two stars, had I not enjoyed "Stop Dressing Your Six-Year-Old Like a Skank" quite so much. I sort of let her coast into three stars on the former happy feelings. Or maybe her former works actually HURT her, as I couldn't help but compare them to this, her newest work--and find it a bit disappointing. While there are a few laugh out loud moments, Rivenbark never seems to hit her stride. The book feels more scattered as a whole, and the es...more
Angela
Celia Rivenbark has again returned to the hilarity and style of her first book "Bless Your Heart, Tramp"! I've been recommending this as a fun, funny, Southern read to everyone!
Kim
This was so much fun and I think it was enhanced by being an audio book. Even my husband was cracking up at some of her hilarious stuff.
A.J.
This was supposed to be a 'witty' book about the south, but it just annoyed me. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.
Tammy Wichman
Celia Rivenbark is just so funny.
Eva Leger
Aug 16, 2010 Eva Leger rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Rivenbark fans, fans of southern humor
Shelves: b-non-fiction, humor
This is, to date, the last Rivenbark book I had left to read. Thanks to my friend Felicia because this proved fairly hard for me to find for some reason.
I can now say without a doubt that Stop Dressing Your Six-Year-Old Like a Skank: And Other Words of Delicate Southern Wisdom is by far the best in my opinion. All of her others are still worth reading I think and I enjoyed them all. At the very least you will be chuckling out loud if not laughing.
The funny thing to me is I despise damn near ev...more
Felicia A
Gotta love that Celia. Love the titles of her books, and love her irreverent wit, Souther-en charm and kiss my ass attitude. I think she has a lot of good ideas, and she makes you laugh out loud, but after awhile, her collections of essays don't really work as full books. She does try hard to tie them all in together, and for the first one or two, it was a novel concept. At this juncture, however, I would like to see her sit down, focus, and write a true and complete book, because I think she is...more
Jessica
I'll admit it. This is my mom's christmas present. I remember her hysterically laughing over another title by this author and I found this book on the shelves at work. It was hardback, so here's hoping she doesn't have it yet.

Anyway. It was fairly hilarious. A liberal Southern Woman's memoir/commentary on life, culture, etc. Politically incorrect and snarky I laughed through the whole thing.

Probably a better pick for your mom though.
Gina
I started this book ages ago, but then left it on my shelf for days I needed a quick little short story. My goal is to finish it (and some others) so I can clear some space on the shelf!
Finished but have to admit it was not one of my favorites by this author. I really prefer the ones where she talks about being a mom, such as Stop Dressing Your Six Year Old like a Skank:-)
Toni Moore
I'm not laughing out loud as much with this one as with some of her others (her first section about living through home improvement was so decriptive about the hell of contractors and subcontractors and living in a Money Pit that it bordered on tragedy) but it's still Celia Rivenbark, so it's still worth it. She's the Dave Barry of the south.
Melissa
This book was a hilarious take on many of the subjects that women and mothers experience in life! I literally laughed out loud at her brilliant witty comments! This book is sprinkled with some naughty words and is full of sarcasm (a warning for the light of heart!), but overall a wonderful, light take on life that I devoured!

Marjanne
A funny collection of stories, which I assume have been collected from the author's newspaper column. I think I liked the other two books I've read by Ms. Rivenbark better, but there were some funny moments and there are the usual 'southern-isms'. This was a quick read.
Lani
Oct 05, 2008 Lani rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: humor
This book was funny. It's not laugh out loud all of the time funny, but it is funny non the less. Although, I have to say I was slightly disappointed because from what I've heard, she writes some laugh out loud books, and all I've done is chuckle a bit.
Kelly
This is perfect for my friends who are in the midst of some remodeling project at their home. You will laugh out loud. I only gave this a "three" because it wasn't quite as funny as some of her other books, but well worth a read.
Patricia
Loved Stop Dressing Your Six-Year-Old Like A Skank but only "liked" this book. I adore most things Southern, although I'm a native New Englander, but lost enthusiasm for her stories the further I got into the book.
Jodi
This is an entertaining read if you enjoy Southern humor. I liked it, but it wasn't a book that I couldn't put down as it took me several days to get through it. The stories all started sounding the same after awhile.
Athena
When I first glanced at this book I thought it was cute and funny. After reading it however, I find I just can't relate to those southern belles as well as I thought. There are funny bits. Quick read.
Jessica
I love this author's sense of humor. This is a book of short essays about all sorts of topics (home renovation, kids, etc.) all with her sassy southern attitude. Great if you want a light, funny read.
Dianne
Another great book from Celia - lots of laughs, so much that I had tears in my eyes ! I love her take on life, the way she deals with everyday issues and finds the funnyness in all of them.
Amanda
one of my favorite authors. she writes some honestly funny stuff. if you've never read anything by her, check it out, you should. the essays are usually short and easy to read.
Kati
Fun - reminds me of my mom and aunt. Crass southern women with the use of well-placed cuss words. Think Weezer on Steel Magnolias.
Linda Foos

Really funny, light reading. Several chapters made me laugh and laugh. This author was new to me, but I'll look for others by her.
Maxine
Pretty funny. This is a good "bath tub book!" it doesn't require a lot of thinking but, will make you laugh out loud.
Meggityb
At first I was laughing out loud! Rivenbark is a bit of a southern Laurie Notaro!
Abby
Dec 19, 2008 Abby rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Abby by: others by the author
I love this author. I rarely laugh out loud with a book but hers always assure a few!
Cheryl
I laughed the whole way through this book (which I read in two hours flat).
Janine
Celia Rivenbark is so funny! Her sarcastic humor gets me laughing every time!
  • Not Tonight, Honey: Wait 'Til I'm A Size 6
  • The Sweet Potato Queens' Field Guide to Men: Every Man I Love Is Either Married, Gay, or Dead
  • Somebody Is Going to Die If Lilly Beth Doesn't Catch That Bouquet: The Official Southern Ladies' Guide to Hosting the Perfect Wedding
  • Suck Your Stomach In and Put Some Color On!: What Southern Mamas Tell Their Daughters that the Rest of Y'all Should Know Too
  • A Southern Belle Primer, Or Why Princess Margaret Will Never Be A Kappa Kappa Gamma
  • It's Not Me, It's You: Subjective Recollections from a Terminally Optimistic, Chronically Sarcastic and Occasionally Inebriated Woman
  • An Idiot Girl's Christmas: True Tales from the Top of the Naughty List
  • Queen of the Turtle Derby and Other Southern Phenomena
  • It's All Relative: Two Families, Three Dogs, 34 Holidays, and 50 Boxes of Wine (A Memoir)
  • Queen of the Oddballs: And Other True Stories from a Life Unaccording to Plan
  • Mad Girls in Love
  • Jeneration X: One Reluctant Adult's Attempt to Unarrest Her Arrested Development; Or, Why It's Never Too Late for Her Dumb Ass to Learn Why Froot Loops Are Not for Dinner
  • The Bad Behavior of Belle Cantrell
Celia Rivenbark was born and raised in Duplin County, NC, which had the distinction of being the nation's number 1 producer of hogs and turkeys during a brief, magical moment in the early 1980s.
Celia grew up in a small house in the country with a red barn out back that was populated by a couple of dozen lanky and unvaccinated cats. Her grandparents' house, just across the ditch, had the first ind...more
More about Celia Rivenbark...
We're Just Like You, Only Prettier: Confessions of a Tarnished Southern Belle Stop Dressing Your Six-Year-Old Like a Skank: And Other Words of Delicate Southern Wisdom Bless Your Heart, Tramp: And Other Southern Endearments You Can't Drink All Day If You Don't Start in the Morning You Don't Sweat Much for a Fat Girl: Observations on Life from the Shallow End of the Pool

“I think it would be funny to have one of those family decals showing a really skinny teenage girl barfing into a little chalk-outline bag (the bulimic in the family) or the dad figure dressed in the woman's underwear that he truly enjoys slipping into when no one's looking. Or the wife figure smiling with her exaggerated curly hair and tennis skirt, clutching a racket in one hand and a bottle of Stoli' in the other.” 20 likes
“[Reverend James] Dobson says that the [Spongebob Squarepants] video would be watched by millions of elementary school students and includes a reference to being 'tolerant of differences.' The nerve! Who does Spongebob think he is? Jesus Christ? Tolerance will not be, uh, tolerated. Oh, and tolerance is quite possibly closesly connected to gay-ance.” 11 likes