Start by marking “Lightning Strike: The Secret Mission to Kill Admiral Yamamoto and Avenge Pearl Harbor” as Want to Read:

3.98  ·  Rating Details  ·  42 Ratings  ·  8 Reviews
This is the story of the fighter mission that changed World War II.
It is the true story of the man behind Pearl Harbor---Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto---and the courageous young American fliers who flew the million-to-one suicide mission that shot him down.

Yamamoto was a cigar-smoking, poker-playing, English-speaking, Harvard-educated expert on America, and that intimate knowl
Published March 7th 2006 by St. Martin's Griffin (first published March 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Lightning Strike, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lightning Strike

John Behles
Nov 18, 2012 John Behles rated it liked it
This book began with the usual world war two beginning, it started with the battle of Pearl Harbor. The pilots that flew the missions of world war two were young and brave, they had planned for a series of attacks on the Japanese ships in order to find and kill the person responsible for Pearl Harbor. The conflicts that continued throughout the book were explained and it is still a controversial topic when talking about who killed Yamamoto.

The reason I gave this book three stars instead of any o
Scott Martin
Nov 27, 2013 Scott Martin rated it really liked it
Read this book for some research, but found it quite an engaging story. In a way, this was a precursor to what the US currently does in Afghanistan, using airpower to target and kill key individuals. Yamamoto certainly was as big a target as the US could go after. The operation planned was quite daring and had little margin for error. However, Davis sets the backstory well, discussing Yamamoto, his life, decisions, and actions pre war and in World War II. The pilots who would fly the mission had ...more
Art
Jan 04, 2014 Art rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: world-war-ii
The story of the P-38 attack on Admiral Yamamoto. About half the book covers the early Pacific war and the events leading to the shoot down. There's a lot of coverage of the cactus air force as well. Not the best book I've ever read on the Pacific, but not the worst either, it just kind of sits somewhere in the middle.
Art
Jan 15, 2008 Art rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone!
Since my father was at Pearl Harbor, I am very interested in the subject. Having just read Newt Gingrich's Pearl Harbor, I had to reread Don Davis's "Lightning Strike." It is a masterful telling of history by a former journalist. It is very readable -- and changes many preconceived notions about this particular moment in history.
Bill Stevens
Oct 09, 2008 Bill Stevens rated it it was amazing
An enthralling TRUE story of the Allied air strike to kill Admiral Yamamoto, the mastermind behind the Pearl Harbor raid. Very interesting read because the author states that Yamamoto was an initial detractor AGAINST attacking the United States. A truly informative tome.
Beth/Chuck
Dec 03, 2007 Beth/Chuck rated it it was amazing
In depth account of Yamamoto's life and the history of the Pacific War before and after the mission. I learned something new each chapter. Also found out more about Indianapolis native Ray Hine who was he only American casualty of this famous mission.
Lee
Jun 15, 2012 Lee rated it really liked it
It is holding my interest more than I thought it would. Nice overview of the war. So far I am enjoying it.

I thought it got better the more I read. I enjoyed learning about the controversy over who actually shot down Yamamoto.
Aaron Mcqueen
Oct 01, 2012 Aaron Mcqueen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyed the story until I got to the battle for credit.
Chuck
Chuck marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2016
Ramon4
Ramon4 rated it really liked it
Jan 27, 2016
lbert buro
lbert buro rated it it was amazing
Dec 01, 2015
Arthur Gibson
Arthur Gibson marked it as to-read
Oct 19, 2015
John Zemp
John Zemp rated it really liked it
Sep 07, 2015
Mel
Mel marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2015
Newt
Newt rated it really liked it
Aug 01, 2015
Len Roberto
Len Roberto rated it it was amazing
Jul 02, 2015
Mom
Mom rated it really liked it
Jun 11, 2015
Troy Kechely
Troy Kechely rated it it was amazing
Jun 08, 2015
Bambang Wibowo
Bambang Wibowo marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2015
Jim Greco
Jim Greco rated it really liked it
May 18, 2015
Robert Brown
Robert Brown rated it really liked it
May 12, 2015
Kevin
Kevin rated it really liked it
Apr 20, 2015
Devin Malone
Devin Malone rated it it was amazing
Apr 10, 2015
Ron
Ron rated it really liked it
Nov 18, 2015
Joseph Downey
Joseph Downey rated it it was amazing
Jan 21, 2015
Rick Kendall
Rick Kendall rated it it was amazing
Jan 06, 2015