Oil Spill!

Oil Spill! (Let's Read and Find Out Science 2)

3.95 of 5 stars 3.95  ·  rating details  ·  44 ratings  ·  17 reviews
Did you know that an oil spill occurs somewhere in the world almost every day of the year? Berger and Mirocha focus on one of the worst spills in history—the 1989 Exxon Valdez oil tanker spill—to explain in simple terms and with bold, full color illustrations why oils spills happen, how experts clean up after them, and what effect spilled oil has on ocean plants and wildli...more
Published January 1st 2006 by Houghton Mifflin (first published 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Oil Spill!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Oil Spill!

Kathleen
This book is about one of the worst oil spills, Exxon Valdez. It explains in simple terms why oils spills happen, how experts clean up after them, what effects oil has on ocean plants and wildlife, and what we can do to prevent oil spills. This book includes several colorful illustrations and can be used to start a class discussion about the topic. At the end of the book, a student writes the senator a letter about her concerns towards oil spills. Having a class discussion requires students to l...more
Haley Shade
This book was so cute and heart breaking all in one. Oil Spill is a great way to inform young kids about what oil spills are and how they can affect animals living in the ocean. It is something that is important for children to know about because it is something that happens and when it does happen, they can help out in any way they can. When they have knowledge about Oil Spills, they might grow a desire or passion to help out the animals that are affected by it who live in the ocean. I loved th...more
Jillian Warren
An informational text about an oil spill that happened in 1989. It explains how they happen, how they are fixed and how they can be prevented. Can inspire a lot of discussion and environmental lessons.
Scott Houston
This was a great book to read with my third grade students this semester. It was an interesting way to introduce the idea of taking care of an environment. As we read the story the students were empathetic and concerned for the animals who got sick or covered in oil, and they were surprised to find how frequently oil is spilled in the oceans. I also compared taking care of the Earth to taking care of a classroom and keeping it neat. By comparing oil spilled in the ocean to trash on the floor, it...more
Piriyanga
Mar 14, 2014 Piriyanga marked it as to-read
this book is great
Katie Williams
This book is about pollution and how it can affect animals and ecosystems all over the world. A great book to reference when teaching children about environments and ecosystems. The teacher could bring in a sample of a lake or pond nearby and have students compare and contrast the look, feel, and smell of the sample tap and/or bottled water. What happens if we strain or boil it? What would happen to animals who live in or drink the water?
alana
This book clearly explains for kids what oil spills are and the various strategies and equipment used to contain and clean them up. The book ends with an example of how to write to a senator and request greater regulation of oil tankers and better preparation for preventing spills. My first graders were very interested in the information though they have yet to hear about real oil spills as they happen.
Haley
This book was a book full of great information about oil spills and the effects it can have. It teaches children what they can do to try and help oil spills happen less often. I really liked the illustrations in this story and think its a great way to teach students about something they may not know is going on or happening in the world around them.
Cherise
I read this with my 6 year old son, it starts off with the mess created by the Exxon Valdez. It shows the damage done to the water, plants and animals. It gives ideas as to how we can reduce our use of oil.

An educational book made interesting enough to hold my sons attention and gave us some starting points to some interesting discussions.
Jaquoya Cothran
Oct 18, 2012 Jaquoya Cothran marked it as to-read
Shelves: science-content
Grades 2-3
Oil Spill/Major pollution to habitats/animals

Focuses on the how oil spills happen, the effects oil spills have on habitats/animals and ways oil spills are cleaned up. The book uses simple terms and great illustrations for an in depth understanding for children.
Lindsey
This book takes an important topic, and presents it in a friendly way. The way the book is written encourages children to be interested in taking action. I also think the illustrations do a great job of depicting the issue.
Deborah Harris
Nov 30, 2013 Deborah Harris added it
Shelves: a9
RL 2.75 GRL-M

AR Quiz No. 13821 EN Nonfiction
Accelerated Reader Quiz Information IL: LG - BL: 3.8 - AR Pts: 0.5
Accelerated Reader Quiz Type Information AR Quiz Types: RP, VP
Emily
Comprehensive look at the Exxon Valdez oil spill of 1989 and the general effects of oil spills on our environment. Detailed illustrations and instructive diagrams are included.
This book is very educational. It contains a lot of facts about oil spills and how they happen. It also teaches students how to prevent oil spills in their future.
Lea
I read this to my class in November. Seems to be quite the omen now.
Leila Useini
it was a really good book and the structure of it was also great!!!
Yara
i like
Kayla Boesche
Kayla Boesche marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2014
Bri
Bri added it
Sep 07, 2014
Phyllis A
Phyllis A marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2014
Canadian Reader
Canadian Reader marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2014
Missy
Missy marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2014
Stephanie
Stephanie marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2014
Nmullo
Nmullo marked it as to-read
Aug 31, 2014
Lissy
Lissy added it
Aug 04, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
BP Holdings: BP führt neues Betrugsvorwürfen in verschütten Siedlung 2 2 Aug 07, 2013 12:29AM
Germs Make Me Sick! (Let's-Read-and-Find-Out Science, Stage 2) (Reading Rainbow Book) Why I Sneeze, Shiver, Hiccup, & Yawn Spinning Spiders Switch On, Switch Off 101 Animal Secrets