Start by marking “A Gateway to Sindarin: A Grammar of an Elvish Language from JRR Tolkien's Lord of the Rings” as Want to Read:

4.18 of 5 stars 4.18  ·  rating details  ·  623 ratings  ·  16 reviews
From the 1910s to the 1970s, author and linguist J. R. R. Tolkien worked at creating plausibly realistic languages to be used by the creatures and characters in his novels. Like his other languages, Sindarin was a new invention, not based on any existing or artificial language. By the time of his death, he had established fairly complete descriptions of two languages, the ...more
Published April 1st 2007 by University of Utah Press (first published November 8th 2004)

To ask other readers questions about A Gateway to Sindarin, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Gateway to Sindarin

Francesco Scarlata
In effetti Tolkien ci ha insegnato che gli Elfi esistono davvero, per cui sarebbe scortese farsi trovare impreparati nel caso in cui ci capitasse di incontrarne uno!
L'autore di questo curioso libro è la stessa persona che ha curato tutti i dialoghi elfici delle due trilogie di Peter Jackson, il Signore degli Anelli e Lo Hobbit.
Si tratta di un'analisi puntuale - spesso complessa - dell'affascinante mondo linguistico creato dal Professore. Tolkien infatti ha concepito un retroterra estetico-ling
Arok
This is definitely a fairly technical work on the linguistic structure of the Sindarin language (Edhellen). It is not a a "How to Speak Sindarin" language teaching text, so those of us wishing to challenge the pre-eminence of Klingon will have to wait for that. However, what it is is an excellent description of many of the features of one of the two main Elven languages invented by Tolkien. It is technical because Tolkien was a master of philology and linguistics, and through the technical descr ...more
James Spahn
As a contributor to the officially licensed Middle-earth table-top "The One Ring," this is a great reference for the linguistically inclined Tolkien fan. However, that being said, it is dense and reads like a textbook because, well, it is.
Tyler
This work is not as intellectually honest as it should be, given the amount of scholarship that has gone into the study of Tolkien's invented languages. Many of the claims in this book are presented as facts based on selectively chosen data that suit Salo's desired "final" version of Sindarin. Salo's version of Sindarin is an interesting exercise, but unless you are already a Sindarin scholar, you won't know where Salo is making reasonable claims and where he is ignoring valid counterpoints.
Colin
Absolutely excellent! A full text book on sindarin. If you are looking for a fictional story this isn't the way to go, it is literally an in-depth text book full with pronunciation, grammar, sentence structure and so so much more. Salo did a great job and if you want to learn elvish this is the only way to go.... until they come out with a rosetta stone for elvish that is....

Cheers
Nancy
5 stars given with the caveat that if you aren't into deep deep linguistic theory and arcane rules of grammar and obscure Indo-European glottal stops... well, don't bother.

If you want to become totally immersed in Sindarin, you have to own this book. (and no I'm not being sarcastic)
Haplila
This one is MUST READ!! ...more
Colin
I hate to admit it, but although I am marking this book as "read," I did not, in fact, read the whole thing. Just enough to remind myself that while I am fascinated by languages and linguistics, I have never felt particularly drawn to the constructed languages of Tolkien. I guess studying Latin and Greek keeps me quite occupied, and if I were going to read up on a conlang, it would probably be Esperanto . . . .
Dirk Elzinga
This is a descriptive and historical grammar of an invented language, a very odd book for someone to have written (and perhaps even odder for someone to have read). It is a solid piece of scholarship. It will not help you learn how to speak Sindarin, but it may give you an appreciation for Tolkien's intellectual achievement in its invention.
Linda Hoover
The definitive guide to one of the Elvish languages created by Tolkien. This book is a wonderful, in-depth guide to Sindarin!! Anyone wishing to learn or know more about Tolkien's Sindarin language should read this book.
James M. Madsen, M.D.
I confess that I haven't read this entire book, but as a reference, it has excellent word lists and a good discussion of linguistic issues. What it's not is a book to teach you the language step by step.
Natalya
As a linguist, this book made me giddy. Highly recommend,but only if you've had linguistic training. My mother took one look and gave up, its very complicated for people not in the field.
Liza Gilbert
Excellent information, but very garbled in presentation. Unless the reader is a professional linguist, they should expect to be confused. Very confused.
Jason Miller
Educational, not entertaining. It's a textbook, and a good one.
Anny
Jun 16, 2009 Anny is currently reading it
Lamen i ann-speech is a gift
Sonita
Sonita marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2015
Kiran
Kiran marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2015
Keelan
Keelan marked it as to-read
Tara
Tara marked it as to-read
Cassidy Mallett
Cassidy Mallett marked it as to-read
Daniëlle
Daniëlle marked it as to-read
Robert McDowe
Robert McDowe marked it as to-read
Jul 31, 2015
Jim
Jim marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2015
Karen
Karen marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2015
Tülin Sepetci
Tülin Sepetci marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2015
  • An Introduction to Elvish, Other Tongues, Proper Names and Writing Systems of the Third Age of the Western Lands of Middle-Earth as Set Forth in the Published Writings of Professor John Ronald Reuel Tolkien
  • Splintered Light: Logos and Language in Tolkien's World
  • The Languages of Tolkien's Middle-Earth
  • The Tolkien Companion
  • The History of the Hobbit, Part Two: Return to Bag-End
  • The Journeys of Frodo
  • Understanding The Lord of the Rings: The Best of Tolkien Criticism
  • J.R.R. Tolkien: Artist and Illustrator
  • The Lost Road and Other Writings (The History of Middle-Earth, #5)
  • The Ring of Words: Tolkien and the Oxford English Dictionary
  • The Road to Middle-Earth: How J.R.R. Tolkien Created A New Mythology
  • The Origins of Tolkien's Middle-Earth for Dummies
  • Tolkien's Ordinary Virtues: Exploring the Spiritual Themes of the Lord of the Rings
  • Tolkien: The Illustrated Encyclopaedia