Start by marking “Star Wars: Legacy, Volume 3: Claws of the Dragon” as Want to Read:
Star Wars: Legacy, Volume 3: Claws of the Dragon

Star Wars: Legacy, Volume 3: Claws of the Dragon (Star Wars: Legacy #3)

One hundred years after the events in Return of the Jedi, Luke's descendant Cade Skywalker is captured by the Sith, Emperor Darth Krayt unveils his true identity, and a secret chapter in the life of Obi-Wan Kenobi is revealed. When Cade attempts to rescue the Jedi he turned over to the Sith during his days as a bounty hunter, the last Skywalker soon finds himself in the cl ...more
Published June 25th 2008 by Dark Horse Books (first published January 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Star Wars, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Star Wars

Terence
Jan 05, 2016 Terence rated it really liked it
During a meditation session Luke Skywalker came to Cade Skywalker and told him he's responsible for the Jedi he turned in for the bounty. Cade decides to try to save the Jedi and gets himself captured. Darth Krayt starts to train Cade for his own purposes.

Claws of the Dragon was really good. I thoroughly enjoy most things Jedi and Sith related and this volume was full to the brim. Darth Krayt reveals a lot to Cade in order to turn him. The Sign training was also quite enjoyable.
description
I surprisingly re
Alex
Apr 11, 2013 Alex rated it it was amazing

Erin
I enjoyed the story, but seriously was about to throw the book across the room because of the ridiculousness of the female characters' outfits. Cade's mom is a bounty hunter assassin spy lady who does amazing tricks wearing a corset with size DD breasts??? Darth Talon fights lightsaber battles in a metal tube top and matching loin cloth? And Mark says I have to forgive Deliah Blue because Zeltrons are just that sexy naturally. At least she only operates heavy machinery in her bikini.
Kimberly
Jan 20, 2017 Kimberly rated it liked it
It's fine, a good story. Outfits for the ladies are quite ridiculous though. But what was I expecting really.
Aaron
May 15, 2011 Aaron rated it it was amazing
Out of a feeling of obligation for a Jedi Knight he turned in to protect his own connection to the Force, Cade Skywalker makes his way back to Coruscant, the current seat of the Sith Empire's government, to free the Bothan Jedi. He sneaks his way into the new Sith Temple, which was built on top of the former Jedi Temple before locating the Bothan, only to fall into the hands of Darth Krayt and his Sith minions.

Fortunately for Cade, he is not completely on his own. His former smuggling partners J
Cale
May 22, 2014 Cale rated it liked it
Volume Three rectifies the issues with Volume two by narrowing its focus to Cade Skywalker, although his former companions Syn and Blue also have some prominence. Cade's attempt to rescue the Jedi bounty he turned over in Volume one leads him to direct interaction with the Sith and Darth Krayt. This book highlights one of the biggest problems with Star Wars Expanded Universe: It's incestuousness. Krayt is revealed as a character that has history going back to the Clone Wars, and almost feels lik ...more
James
Jan 10, 2015 James rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
This Star Wars series takes place nearly half a century after the original trilogy. The Sith once again rule the galaxy, Jedis are scattered and a rough alliance is trying to fight back against tyranny. Among the heroes is Luke Skywalker's grandson, Cade, a former Jedi in training who was raised as a bounty hunter after being lost in space during the big battle that effectively wiped out his people.

The first two volumes found Cade coming back to his legacy (what a title, huh?), and this one sees
Zachary Hatton
Aug 27, 2013 Zachary Hatton rated it really liked it
Some really cool stuff happens in this volume and I'll relay why it was rather good comparatively. Finally! While Cade is still not defined we get a sense of who he truly is as a character, I won't spoil it for you but let's just say that the writer did splendidly on characterization, which is always a must for me in good fiction. It was an excellent story on multiple layers such as being empathetic with the characters, suspense, and overall being rather interesting. Here are some notes I made w ...more
Nicholas
Oct 12, 2008 Nicholas rated it liked it
Ostrander wins again. These collections are beginning to follow a narrative pattern, and not necessarily a bad one. In a way, it's not unlike the structure of TV shows like Lost, although with far less character development and gripping narrative. The story as a whole begins in media res, and more and more of the origins of the current conditions are revealed through flashbacks centered upon the experiences of the individual players involved. Volume three begins with Cade captured by the SIth as ...more
Jaimie
Sep 14, 2015 Jaimie rated it really liked it
Finally we're back to the main action of the story after all the backstory and political intrigues of the previous volume! Cade Skywalker is captured by Darth Krayt with the intention of turning him to the Dark Side, but Krayt's reasoning is a little more interesting than that of his Sith predecessors. Unlike Sidious and Palpatine, Krayt's motives are driven by his selfish concern with self-preservation - specifically in getting Cade to use his unique healing powers to purge the coral seeds that ...more
Christopher
Aug 31, 2008 Christopher rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Any Star Wars Fan.
Recommended to Christopher by: Self
I am a Star Wars fan from way back and this comic continues the magic as Cade Skywalker, the future grandson of Luke Skywalker, struggles to find his place in the universe. He doesn't want anyone dying for him and he especially doesn't want to belong to any order of any kind. He has made it clear that he defines his own destiny.

For the last couple of volumes Cade has been using his skills as a bounty hunter. He continually shows he is a good soul deep down, but still struggles to find his way a
Aria
Sep 27, 2014 Aria rated it it was amazing
"What we pretend to be we often become." Legacy: Volume 3 takes Cade Skywalker's journey and makes all of his battles personal. Darth Krayt's backstory is fully fleshed out and interwoven with the history of the Star Wars universe in a way that feels creative, plausible, easily accessible and, most importantly, organic. The story of Cade and friends is well-thought out and the epic battle on Coruscant at the end is well-earned by the furthering of the story and characters, making it feel like St ...more
Jeff Lanter
Aug 17, 2011 Jeff Lanter rated it it was amazing
This volume of Legacy reminded me a lot of Return of the Jedi with Luke in the grasp of Palpatine and Vader. Thankfully, Cade is completely different character and so this volume doesn't feel like a rehash in any way, shape, or form. One of the things I admire the most about this series is how there are so many plotlines going on at once and how they connect and reconnect with each other in each trade. That is a very Star Wars thing to do and really fits in with the spirit of the original trilog ...more
Yves
Nov 09, 2012 Yves rated it it was amazing
Shelves: star-wars, bd, sf
Cade Skywalker veut se racheter et tente de libérer un Jedi qu'il a vendu aux Sith. Malheureusement pour lui, sa présence était attendue par Darth Krayth et ses acolytes. Le Sith veut le convertir au Côté Obscur. Il lui révèle sa véritable identité et son cheminement vers les Sith. Pendant ce temps-là, les amis de Cade et sa mère mettent sur pied un plan pour le libérer.

Cette BD est à couper le souffle. Il y a beaucoup d'actions et de rebondissement. J'ai bien aimé connaître le passé du Sith Dar
Jonathan
Jul 23, 2009 Jonathan rated it liked it
Recommends it for: fans of the series
Recommended to Jonathan by: Garand
Shelves: starwars
Oh noes! Cade becomes a Sith! Or at least that's what the cover would have you believe, depicting him all dressed in black and wielding a red lightsaber. Since the last book ended with Cade heading into the Sith temple, you pretty much know he's going to get captured, and that Darth Krayt is going to try to turn him. What's less predictable, thankfully, is how the whole ordeal is going to turn out. The author does a good job preserving the suspense, even if some of the back-and-forth dialogue b ...more
Matt
Jun 07, 2014 Matt rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed the reveal of Darth Krayt's background. It really helped tie together all the different eras of the EU in comic and book form. (view spoiler)

Cade's journey is very interesting as well. I fe
B. Reese
Jun 29, 2015 B. Reese rated it it was ok
I loved and hated this series. I probably will get all of them one day to complete my "Legends" Timeline, but I really didn't care for the reveal of who Krayt was. Later (this vol or the next, i don't recall), when its revealed how/why he became Krayt, i really thought that this had been done before with Anakin. Almost to the letter.

Cade Skywalker continues to grow tiresome.

I just don't know.

It wasn't terrible, but I think I need to re-read all of this series til it's wrapped up and make a de
Steven Shinder
Sep 04, 2016 Steven Shinder rated it it was amazing
Love that this arc really delves into Darth Krayt's backstory and connects it to the rest of the Expanded Universe. It was also a nice surprise seeing that a certain Sith whom I expected the last for much longer gets killed here.
Sketching Girl
I enjoyed reading this, and I really didn't expect the surprise at the end! Cade Skywalker is an intriguing character, he has that roguish devil may care attitude of Han Solo, and tends to lead his life a lot like him, yet he is also descended from Luke Skywalker and has a strong use of the force. I also like his crewmates, Deliah Blue and Jariah Syn, although you don't see quite as much of them in this. A fun story, and I would happily read more in this series!
Fee
Jan 21, 2010 Fee rated it it was amazing
Okay, this edition kicks ass. The main villian and Cade get into defining his decision to become a Jedi Nerd. Cool animation and fighting scenes. It also leaves us with who the hell is Cade's mom. Is someone fucking with these females brain to thinking they are the mother. I thought his dad would be the one unsure to claim his son, you know child support is probably a few million credits a month. This edition will put you over the top...can't wait to read the next one.
Ryan
Jun 16, 2010 Ryan rated it liked it
Patrickderaaff
Jun 30, 2012 Patrickderaaff rated it really liked it
Shelves: swlegends
Every Skywalker male must face temptation from the Dark Side and so must Cade. Darth Krayt is not your typical Sith Lord and a very interesting character. Loved finding about his past in this third volume of the Star Wars Legacy comic book series! John Ostrander has the perfect feel for what makes a good Star Wars story tick.
Angela
Oct 20, 2013 Angela rated it liked it
Cade goes to rescue the jedi that he captured from the Sith. Also we finally find out the identity of the Sith Lord. There's some nice character pieces in this, I particularly liked the progression of the sith's back story. I really felt for the sith, and his story was the most enjoyable part of this volume. A good read.
Heather
Jul 30, 2011 Heather rated it it was amazing
Definitely better than Volume Two. The story didn't drag at all, and we didn't get a whole bunch of pointless stories. I especially loved the rescue of Cade. The very end was a little confusing, though; it was a little unclear whether Nyna is Morrigan or not. (I think so, but they could have made it clearer if that's the case.) I can't wait to get the next Volume.
Cade
Jul 27, 2008 Cade rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Star Wars fans
What can I say? I kinda have to like Any story where the hero's name is Cade, right? And a Skywalker to boot!
It's actually probably more of a three and half for this series, but I do like the future of the SW universe, and I dig some of the little details.
Plus there's a squidhead Sith, so that's just cool.
Jd
Feb 25, 2014 Jd rated it it was amazing
Wow, this is an awesome Star Wars comic. Legacy is the best Star Wars series since the original trilogy, and this collection continues it in a great fashion. There are some very interesting reveals in this one.
Chad Quintero
Mar 15, 2013 Chad Quintero rated it really liked it
The story continues to build, the artwork remains incredible, and it's full of twists. A true good read. This title collects the comics that tell about Cade Skywalker's capture by the Sith and their attempts to turn him.
Casey
Dec 04, 2012 Casey rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction, comic
Favorite volume so far. It feels like so much happens, and its a long, satisfying read. Lots of the main story line. Good twist at the end, had me saying "What???!" and flipping back through the previous books. :)
Geoff Sasso
Jul 19, 2012 Geoff Sasso rated it really liked it
As a comic snob I always thought that I was above star wars comics. I was definitely wrong. This series is tremendous. Volume 3 really thickens things and the various plot lines start to become fleshed out. Excellent read.
  • Star Wars: Vector, Vol. 1
  • Star Wars: Dark Times, Volume One: Path to Nowhere
  • Star Wars: Empire, Volume 2: Darklighter
  • Star Wars: Clone Wars, Volume 2: Victories and Sacrifices
  • Crimson Empire, Volume 1 (Star Wars: Crimson Empire, #1)
  • Star Wars Omnibus: Tales of the Jedi, Volume 1
  • Star Wars: Rebellion, Vol. 1: My Brother, My Enemy
  • Star Wars: Legacy II, Vol. 1: Prisoner of the Floating World
  • Star Wars Tales, Vol. 6
  • Star Wars Infinities - A New Hope
  • Star Wars Omnibus - Rise of the Sith
  • Refugees (Star Wars: Invasion, #1)
John Ostrander is an American writer of comic books. He is best known for his work on Suicide Squad, Grimjack and Star Wars: Legacy, series he helped create.

Originally an actor in a Chicago theatre company, Ostrander moved into writing comics in 1983. His first published works were stories about the character "Sargon, Mistress of War", who appeared the First Comics series Warp!, based on a series
More about John Ostrander...

Star Wars: Legacy (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Star Wars: Legacy, Volume 1: Broken