Magic Maize

Magic Maize

2.6 of 5 stars 2.60  ·  rating details  ·  10 ratings  ·  5 reviews
Published December 1st 1953 by Houghton Mifflin (first published June 1953)

To ask other readers questions about Magic Maize, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Magic Maize

Jill
Read it because it won the Newbery Honor. This was written in an era when crop "improvement" meant introducing varieties with higher yield. It reads a little like an ad for Monsanto and GMO foods. How could replacing heirloom varieties with new and improved high yield, bug resilience corn be anything but a wonderful thing? (Okay, I added in bug resilience--that one's not mentioned in the book) Nowadays the pendulum has swung in the opposite direction--there's a increased interest in protecting h...more
Eireanne
Summary: It is the story of Fabian, a Mayan Indian boy, who uncovers a rare jade earplug while secretly planting "magic maize." The earplug and maize lead to adventures so unusual that even Fabian's stubborn father is convinced that the old and new can live in peace.

My thoughts: As I am going through all of the Newbery awards and honors, I found this a quick read. Not very memorable, nothing stood out in particular. However, it wasn't tedious or torturous to get through, as I've been finding som...more
Hannahlily
Cute parts here and there but mostly dull. Like so many books from this time, the supposedly sympathetic depiction of a “different” culture is undermined by not-so-latent attitudes of prejudice and white superiority.
Cheryl in CC NV
Thrift store find. About 1/3 in and not detecting any disrespect/ political incorrectness. I guess I'll have to hang on to it until the Children's Book Club Newbery Honors groups catches up to 1954.
Heather
The book is a bit dated and probably wouldn't fly today by anyone's standards of properly representing another culture, but it was okay.
Mariko
Mariko marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2014
Kate
Kate marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2014
Sam
Sam marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2014
Sarah marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2014
Chelsey
Chelsey marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2014
Heather
Heather marked it as to-read
Aug 12, 2014
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2014
Alex
Alex marked it as to-read
May 12, 2014
Greg Hudnall
Greg Hudnall marked it as to-read
Mar 27, 2014
Carriann Forbis
Carriann Forbis marked it as to-read
Mar 11, 2014
Jordan
Jordan marked it as to-read
Feb 12, 2014
Margo
Margo marked it as to-read
Feb 01, 2014
Angela
Angela marked it as to-read
Jan 10, 2014
Nancy
Nancy marked it as to-read
Oct 30, 2013
Kristine Pratt
Kristine Pratt marked it as to-read
Oct 22, 2013
Tina
Tina marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2013
Laurie Love
Laurie Love marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2013
Jami
Jami marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2013
Peter
Peter marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2013
Andrea
Andrea marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
The Apple and the Arrow Dash and Dart Big Tree Dancing Cloud Hurry, Skurry, and Flurry