Start by marking “Ask the Bones: Scary Stories from Around the World” as Want to Read:
Ask the Bones: Scary Stories from Around the World

Ask the Bones: Scary Stories from Around the World

3.71 of 5 stars 3.71  ·  rating details  ·  168 ratings  ·  39 reviews
What is real and what is imaginary? Do evil creatures lurk in the shadows? Do demons attack the helpless? Are there such things as invisible men? For generations, storytellers have given substance to our worst fears. In Ask the Bones, master storytellers Arielle North Olson and Howard Schwartz retell a varied selection of the world's most frightening folktales. Be warned-t ...more
Published August 26th 2002 by Puffin Books (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Ask the Bones, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ask the Bones

Johnny Vargas
This book was really interesting to me and made me want to read more. It was written by Arielle North Olson and Howard Schwartz.This book could be fiction or non-fiction, it all depends on if you believe.Reading this book,it made we wonder if I ever seen or heard ghost;it made me realize,what happens after death.This book created scary emotions for me, but at the sametime, my reaction was to see read more.This book has all different kinds of stories from around the world. Some are in the United ...more
Andrea K.
I wouldn't call this book a collection of scary stories. They were more like fairy tales with unhappy endings. I own some book of fairy tales from all around the world, so some stories seemed a little bit familiar, and I liked that.
I wasn't scared by this book. At all. I'm disappointed.
Kayla
This book would be very good for young kids (5th grade) but the ghost stories in it are not very appealing or even spooky for older readers. I thought I would hear some interesting tales, being as the book was supposedly collected from various countries, but it felt more like a collection of ordinary folk tales as opposed to ghost stories. Like I said: great for younger readers, not for older readers.
Jacob
This is a collection of scary stories from around the world...except I don't think some of them are very scary. And my mom says you can read the book as long as you don't show up in your parent's room in the middle of the night. Then your mom takes away your scary-book-check-out-privileges at the library.
Jenny B.
I stumbled upon this book by accident online while looking for the Scary Stories collection by Alvin Schwartz with the unforgettable illustrations by Stephen Gammell. I've been wanting to collect those for my son. I found this book for a good price for my nook, so I decided to purchase it and put it under my son's profile. Out of curiosity, I decided to give it a try. This book will take you an hour or less to read. It was a very interesting book with folk tales from around the world. I was surp ...more
Jason
Mar 15, 2011 Jason rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: To a reader thst enjoys mystery and horror
Arielle North Olson and Howard Schwartz’s rewrites of the stories in
Ask the Bones terrified me to an extent its horrific and unsuspected endings

In this book the theme is impeccable. I find it to be built on the opposites of what the reader suspects to happen. I say this because reading this story you would suspect it to be typical in a way, but it was a surprise. I add that in every story there was a twist waiting for you at any part of the story. That’s the major reason why I like this book.
Hanna Noonan
Tail4 62
Oct 16, 2008 Tail4 62 rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: people who think deeply
Recommended to Tail4 62 by: my teacher
This book was about many cultural tales. From people acting like animals, to lions eating spiders, this was a decent book.
The title base story was about an old man who tricks children into crawling into a giant bird's nest.Whenever the children asked him why he did it, or who else the old coot put up there, he would just say "Ask the bones." Luckily, one of the kids tricked the old man into going into the nest.It was a pretty creepy book.

I think the book may have just been made up by one perso
Kristy
Probably a good addition to a middle-school library, because what kid doesn't love scary stories? It's definitely hi-lo, which is great for our reluctant readers.
Eden
I've had this book on my shelf for a few years and finally decided to read it this year since Halloween is nearing.

I think I had too high expectations for this book. Cool title and spooky cover combined with the fact I love scary stories, I thought this would be a collection of stories I love.

Instead I finish reading with disappointment. The book isn't bad, but none of the stories are really scary.

I did like some of the stories. The Haunted Forest and Ask the Bones, but none really grabbed me.
Fallen*63
Oct 25, 2008 Fallen*63 rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommended to Fallen*63 by: My teacher
This book contains scary stories from around the world. One example is a story about a greedy man who steals his poor neighbor's goat. He then wraps himself in goat skin to steal yet again for his neighbor, but the skin tightens around him and turns him into a goat. The stories are form several countries, such as Japan and the U.S.

I was actually a bit disappointed in this book. The stories were not as interesting as the cover portrays, and they all seemed similar. Someone does something bad, and
Nick
Jun 11, 2008 Nick rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: storytellers or lovers of folktales
This book of retold folktales is mostly good, although a couple of the endings are a little forced, and may not mirror the originals exactly...my impression is that a couple of these stories were less gruesome before this retelling. A couple of them became "gotcha" stories in this version, in ways that did not feel natural.
Still, the stories are good, and exactly the kind of thing that a lot of kids, grades 3-5, will eat up...the audience for Goosebumps and the like...and are a good introduction
Fbooks75
Oct 10, 2008 Fbooks75 rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: someone that likes scary stories
Recommended to Fbooks75 by: Ms.Camden
Shelves: 6th-read
This book is a good book. It has a lot of smaller stories in it. Some of the stories are about people who are mean and do not care what happens to you or anyone. Others are about someone who has kiled a person and their dog. There dog now is hauting the person. I would recommend Ask the Bones!
The author's purpose is to entertain. The message of the book would be to not over look what you have. The author's writing style is short stories that are scary. Some of the themes of this book are to ne
Emily Mills
It was without a doubt one of THEE most creepiest books I have ever read!!! I first read this book in fourth grade or something. It was creepy and probably gave me nightmares. Who knows. I can't remember! But it sure entertained me and kept me reading on! Great stories, but super scary ones! I can't believe I still remember some of them! It's been soooooo long and I've been trying to find this book for forever!!! So glad I finally found it! Such a cool book to read for Halloween!
Rebecca Ann
Some of these were really amazing and some of them seemed pretty lame (to me). I would not mind owning this book, however. I think a lot of the tales are really tellable and a few are very familiar. My favorites were: Ask the Bones,The Murky Secret, Next of Kin, The Bloody Fangs, The Mousetrap, The Invisible Guest, The Greedy Man and the Goat, and The Evil Eye. I liked how we knew where each tale came from, and in the back another collection housing the tale was given.
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
I love the way Olson and Schwartz retell these folktales! I read many of them aloud-- they do lend themselves to being listened to. My favorite stories were "The Laplander's Drum," "The Murky Secret" (very peculiar), "Next-of-Kin," "Nowhere to Hide" (poor sap!), "The Mouse Trap" (is there such a thing as a tide mouse?), "The Black Snake," and "A Trace of Blood." I've read the sequel, More Bones, so I hope these two compile another book of scary stories soon!
babs
This book was OK. It is mostly directed towards young readers. Probably under 14. Either way, it was interesting and a very fast read. It of course was not scary to me, however, it is interesting to see what other horror writers can come up with.
Eduardo Yanez
Warning DO NOT READ ALONE AT NIGHT! Forget the warning. Just do it and watch your nightmares come to life as these stories get to your skull.You won't cry you'll scream.
kolita kyle
Page 107-140

this is a good book it has scary short stories about ghosts , monsters and the devil . if you like scary books you should read this book
Erikka
Dec 22, 2010 Erikka added it
because i am very hard to scare only a few of these even remotly creeped me out. however i still enjoyed them.
Jun won Lee
It's funny that the scary stories don't have pictures and those that are not scary ones has pictures.
Krys Nicole
This book as Different stories, But they are from around the world. And some of them are Creepy.
Erik
This book was a ok book to read. Its not scary at all but its a little bit interesting to read.
Cheryl
[3.5] A nice collection of scary stories! One of my favorites has to be The Invisible Guest. :)
Bterrenceb
I liked this book because in each story you dont know what is going to happen next.
Mav
I read the stories in this out loud to a 12 year old boy I tutored. He loved them.
Eugenia Lopez
its about a legen all around the contry and some of them are real and not real.
Issachar
I didn't finish the book because I found another that I was more interested in.
Sora
i thought the book was really good. my favorite chapter was fiddling with fire.
Karolinde (Kari)
Short, scary stories from around the world? Love it.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • The Dark-Thirty: Southern Tales of the Supernatural
  • Witch's Sister (Witch Saga, #1)
  • The Trespassers
  • There's a Dead Person Following My Sister Around
  • Scary Stories
  • Dark Moon (Wereling, #2)
  • The Triad of Finity (Oliver Nocturne, #6)
  • Alyxandra Harvey Collection (Drake Chronicles, #1-3; Haunting Violet, #1)
  • Pemba's Song: A Ghost Story
  • Do-Over
  • The Old Magic of Christmas: Yuletide Traditions for the Darkest Days of the Year
  • Cinderella Skeleton
  • Horrors! 365 Scary Stories
  • Vampire Kisses - Blood Relatives: Complete Edition
  • Darkness Creeping: Twenty Twisted Tales
  • Birth of the Pack (Weregirls, #1)
  • Cat's Quizzer (Dr.Seuss Classic Collection)
  • Beautiful Blackbird
Arielle North Olson is an author of children's books.

Arielle is the daughter of noted author Sterling North, who wrote Rascal. She is also the niece of author, poet, and editor Jessica Nelson North. She is one of the copyright owners of Sterling North's body of work. She now has 3 children and 7 grandchildren, and is a resident of St. Louis, Missouri.

Arielle is from a multi-generation literary fam
More about Arielle North Olson...
More Bones The Lighthouse Keeper's Daughter Noah's Cats and the Devil's Fire Hurry Home, Grandma! Joyeux Noël