Start by marking “Sammy Keyes & the Art of Deception Audiobook” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Sammy Keyes & the Art ...

Wendelin Van Draanen

Sammy Keyes & the Art of Deception Audiobook (Sammy Keyes #8)

4.17  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,675 Ratings  ·  66 Reviews
Sammy Keyes has a lot of nerve. Wearing high-tops to a fancy reception at an art gallery. Asking why a framed orange splot is worth $10,000. Eyebrows rise. Noses turn up.
But then Sammy tackles a thief who tries to break up the soiree with a stickup. Now the patrons of the arts are glad she has a lot of nerve. Or are they? Sammy may have stopped a criminal, but the real cri
Audio, 0 pages
Published April 1st 2004 by Live Oak Media (NY) (first published April 8th 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Sammy Keyes & the Art of Deception Audiobook, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sammy Keyes & the Art of Deception Audiobook

Liam
Oct 14, 2015 Liam rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really liked the book Sammy Keyes because the book is a mystery and it is one of my favorite genres. The main event is where a character tries to steal paintings from a painter that was at an art gallery, but Sammy tackled him and the character's shoe kicked Sammy in his mouth and Sammy couldn't talk straight. I thought it was weird when Sammy's friend Marisa stood strangely looking at Sammy like something happened that was bad. I thought about the art assignment that they had to do and it mad ...more
Jenny
Sammy and her grandmother go with their friend Hudson to an art gallery for a Sammy's school project. Sammy dislikes two of the artists' work but she is captivated by the third artist's work. Then a burglar attempts a heist of the artwork and Sammy stops him. This sets Sammy and her grandma on a quest to determine whether one of the artists staged the robbery and leads Sammy to examine what true art is. Fun book for middle grade readers.
Nirica
THESE BOOKS WERE EVERYTHING TO ME AND I JUST DISCOVERED.... THERE ARE MORE.... THERE ARE MORE SAMMY KEYES THAN I HAVE READ........ IT'S LIKE IT'S CHRISTMAS I MIGHT CRY
Kaion
Feb 14, 2010 Kaion rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, young-adult
I've been meaning to pick up one of these books forever (those be some catchy covers), but never really got to it. Sammy Keyes is a rather appealing snazzy-speaking tween protagonist: skateboarding, making box-mac-and-cheese-and-salsa, and of course, being a nosy mystery-uncover-er. It's all in the mold of some noir mystery but modern with relatable struggles for Sammy (incomprehensibleness of teachers, absentee mom, secretly living with grandma to not violate senior-living-only arrangement, fir ...more
Erin H.
Nov 19, 2010 Erin H. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So far this book is OK. It is not my favorite. It's kind of hard to relate to it. But if you like art and mystery you might like it.

11/13/10

I am on page 234 of Sammy Keyes and the Art of Deception and I am beginning to enjoy reading this book a lot more. The main problem in the book is that when the main character, Sammy goes to an art gallery, a mysterious man tries to steal some paintings from Diane Reijden's display. Sammy is now on a quest to find out who this man is and more importantly di
Nazik
Jan 24, 2011 Nazik rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Miss. Kuskowski, Sammy's art teacher, assigns an assignment for the class to research an artist and explain why or why not they like the artist's work. Sammy tells her friend Hudson about the project and Hudson decides to take Sammy and Sammy's grandmother to an art gallery to help Sammy with her assignment. At the art gallery one artist amazes Sammy with her work. After looking at the paintings, she wanted to look at them again and again. Sammy looked deep in the paintings. They just made her h ...more
Nov 22, 2013 Sarah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves:
Sammy keys and the art of deception is about a girl named Sammy. She is 12 years old. The setting takes place usually at the mall and at Sammy's friends house. And sometimes at tge art ceremony.The problem Sammy faced was that she went to an art ceremony so she could learn more about art, for her art homework. So Sammy goes with her friend Hudson. People at the ceremony already had a bad Idea about Sammy because she was dressed in jeans and a sweatshirt. When everybody else was dressed up in dre ...more
Susan
Mar 10, 2011 Susan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s-books
I really like the Sammy Keyes books. They are fun reading, and Sammy always is able to solve the mystery before anyone else, even though she's only 12 years old.

Sammy doesn't know who her dad is and her mom decided she wanted to be a famous actress and abandoned Sammy. Sammy lives with her grandma in a high rise, senior citizens' apartment where they don't allow children. So she has to sneak up to the apartment by the fire escape, sleep on the couch, and hide in the closet when anyone comes to t
Teri Gorleski
Sep 15, 2011 Teri Gorleski rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
This book was really cool one mystery after another. I really cant beleive that Sammys grandma actually considers wearing blue jeans and high tops like Sammy! I thought the artist that painted the paintings that Sammy was so touched and moved by was good but too bad she wasnt. Oops! I let something very important slip. Oh my god there goes my big mouth again! So I really hope you read this book unless you already read it of course. But there was something in this book that told me that i had to ...more
Patrick
The budding art scene of Santa wherever is the main scene and diversionary topic in this one. It's unrealistic how much Sammy eventually learns about art, but as a semi-art appreciator, I enjoyed those segments as well as the Renaissance Faire. This was back to semi-serious and less dangerous deceptions for Sammy to solve, along with enjoyable ruminations about relationships for both her, and Grams and Hudson.
Salsabrarian
Sammy visits an art gallery exhibition opening hoping to do an artist interview for her art class but a burglary interrupts the event and Sammy finds herself caught up in the mystery of whodunnit, what kind of people the artists Diane and Tess are, and what's so compelling about Diane's painting "Whispers."
Cinnapatty
May 21, 2015 Cinnapatty rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Finally! After a couple books I could have done without, this picks back up at the level of goodness where the series left off in book #4 I believe. I couldn't figure it out until the very end when Sammy did! We're getting to know Grams a lot better now too. Fun character development. The emotions and relationships are so real. They tug.
Anna Bergmark
Mar 14, 2016 Anna Bergmark rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sammy's grandma have had a part in every book so far, but this is the first time that she gets a spot center stage. And how it works out? It's quite fun actually, seeing her act the way Sammy often does - not acting her age that is. Well, you know what they say... The apple doesn't fall far from the apple tree. And the old lady turns out to be a regular pip. Just you wait and see.

It is also nice to encounter, not just the same ol' budding puppy love thing, but a sample of the more mature silverb
Dru
Jul 19, 2015 Dru rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: j-mystery
I LOVE SAMMY KEYES! This one had me guessing for a while. I enjoyed that Sammy grandma took this mystery so personally and got involved.
Karen
Feb 20, 2016 Karen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was a super-fun read, and engaging mystery, and it even dared to ask the question "What is Art?"
Lydia
Feb 20, 2016 Lydia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing as always! I finished it in two hours, staying up until 11:45 finishing it.
Katherine
Sammy Keyes and the Art of Deception focuses on a mystery that involves a visit to an art show. This one contained a lot of humor and surprising events. I've read this about 3 times over the years and I haven't gotten bored with it yet. In fact, I might take it out soon.
Kelly
Nov 04, 2015 Kelly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: written-by-women
4.5 stars. I had to keep forcing myself to put this book down so I wouldn't finish it in one sitting. Loved the continuing evolution of Sammy's relationship with Grams.

(view spoiler)
Sara
Jul 27, 2015 Sara rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
it kinda throws you back to seventh grade
Steve Clark
Mar 17, 2013 Steve Clark rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of my favorite Sammy's yet. A lot of humor in this one; humor and tangled romance, but I don't want to give anything away. I wouldn't want to start the series here, but I'm sure glad I've read through this far!
Although these aren't "Great Literature," they sure are fun reading. Looking forward to get to the next one. You'd think that with this many books in a series, they would become hopelessly redundant and repetitive, but somehow there are enough fresh twists and turns in each one to ke
Hannah
Jul 23, 2014 Hannah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, children-s
Sammy's grandmother is THE BEST
Jacquie
Jan 09, 2012 Jacquie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I didn't finish the book on CD because it was due back at the library. Even after renewing three times I didn't get through it. I don't know if it was the narrator's voice that caused me to dislike the book, or if I just didn't like it. If you listen to audio books, you know sometimes the narrator can make or break it. I may read another Sammy Keyes, or finish this one on my own. I want to be able to fairly recommend, or not, this to my elementary students.
Shelley
This is my second Sammy Keyes mystery. I love them and want to read all. We only have 2 in the series as my kids never got into them (which I can't figure out), so I took out 3 from the library last night. Anyho, about this book, well done once again. I would give it a 3-1/2 stars if I could. I figured out who done it, which is always a thrill, even if it's considered a middle school age read, heehee.
Merand
May 30, 2012 Merand rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A Sammy Keyes mystery is always enjoyable. Quick, intelligent, and intriguing. I am always impressed with the author's adept use of first-person narrative. Sammy's voice always rings authentic and current. An excellent mystery that isn't too full of teenage drama and holds none of the grisliness of adult mysteries, but is still fun and sophisticated.
Amanda
May 30, 2015 Amanda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another absolute winner in the Sammy Keyes series! The wonderful mix of humor, mystery, and life as a middle schooler (told through the brilliant writing style of Wendelin Van Draanen) continues here. This book offers some great reveals about Sammy's Grams' past, as well as her budding relationship with Hudson Graham.
David Christensen
Aug 01, 2010 David Christensen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This one is more of the light-hearted mystery I am used to with Sammy. And, again it found it very enjoyable. As I alluded to in my previous review (Sammy Keys and the Search for Snake Eyes) I read the Sammy Keyes books over and over again. This one too.
Julie
Jan 21, 2008 Julie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting subject matter. And I thought the plot was really nicely woven, as far as things in Sammy's life being able to help her solve the mystery. And it was nice to see more of Grams in this one. One of the better Sammy Keyes books, I think.
Reagan
Feb 16, 2013 Reagan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013-favorites
4.7 Woah, this was great! It was a little slower than the other books, but I still loved the relationships between Sammy and Casey and Grams and Hudson. Really good ending, and I just really want to get more in the next 12 books!!!
Bailee
Oct 14, 2008 Bailee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book because you get to see a little bit of Sammy's romantic side. This is something rare in this book series! I also really like how the author enceorporates art in the story. It makes for a great plot.
HVL
Feb 05, 2010 HVL rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My god...I love this book! I have always wondered how Sammy would react in the world of Art...I ADORED this so much, this and the Hollywood Mummy are my absolute favorites. You want a fun read? Please pick up this book!
  • Rescuing Seneca Crane (Kari + Lucas Mysteries, #2)
  • Gilda Joyce: The Dead Drop (Gilda Joyce, #4)
  • Something Wicked (Horatio Wilkes Mysteries, #2)
  • Lulu Dark and the Summer of the Fox
  • The Mistaken Masterpiece (The Red Blazer Girls, #3)
  • Jackie's Jokes (Sisters Eight, #4)
  • The Ghostwriter Secret (Brixton Brothers #2)
  • Kitty Kitty (Bad Kitty, #2)
  • Am I Right or Am I Right?
  • The Gypsy Game (Game, #2)
  • Murder on the Fourth of July (Nancy Drew and the Hardy Boys: Super Mystery, #28)
  • Stop That Bull, Theseus! (Myth-O-Mania, #5)
  • Cliff-Hanger (Mysteries in Our National Park #3)
  • How to Disappear Completely and Never Be Found
Van Draanen was born in Chicago, Illinois. One of her early influences was Dandelion Wine . According to the author, the book was "about the magic of growing up and [it] reminded me of all the wonderful mischief my brothers and I got into when we were young." Bradbury's work inspired Van Draanen to write How I Survived Being a Girl, which was published by HarperCollins in 1997. Other early influe ...more
More about Wendelin Van Draanen...

Sammy Keyes (1 - 10 of 18 books)
  • Sammy Keyes and the Hotel Thief
  • Sammy Keyes and the Skeleton Man (Sammy Keyes, #2)
  • Sammy Keyes and the Sisters of Mercy (Sammy Keyes, #3)
  • Sammy Keyes and the Runaway Elf (Sammy Keyes, #4)
  • Sammy Keyes and the Curse of Moustache Mary (Sammy Keyes, #5)
  • Sammy Keyes and the Hollywood Mummy (Sammy Keyes, #6)
  • Sammy Keyes and the Search for Snake Eyes (Sammy Keyes, #7)
  • Sammy Keyes and the Psycho Kitty Queen (Sammy Keyes, #9)
  • Sammy Keyes And the Dead Giveaway (Sammy Keyes, #10)
  • Sammy Keyes and the Wild Things (Sammy Keyes, #11)