Start by marking “Encyclopedia Brown Tracks Them Down (Encyclopedia Brown, #8)” as Want to Read:
Encyclopedia Brown Tracks Them Down (Encyclopedia Brown, #8)

Encyclopedia Brown Tracks Them Down (Encyclopedia Brown #8)

3.97  ·  Rating Details ·  1,533 Ratings  ·  36 Reviews

Leroy Brown is back in the next six books in the Encyclopedia Brown series. As Idaville's ten-year-old star detective, Encyclopedia has an uncanny knack for trivia. With his unconventional knowledge, he solves mysteries for the neighborhood kids through his own detective agency. But his dad also happens to be the chief of the Idaville police department, and every night aro

Published October 24th 1971 by Bantam Skylark (first published 1971)

To ask other readers questions about Encyclopedia Brown Tracks Them Down, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Encyclopedia Brown Tracks Them Down

Julesmarie
I got to learn more new things in this one: I learned what ambergris is, I learned it's possible to get birds drunk by feeding them fermented berries (hah! hilarioius chapter!) and I learned that worm fiddling is a real thing and was an actual sport-like event once upon a time. Oh, the obscure facts to be gained from children's books!

My favorite mysteries in this one are The Case of the Model Universe, The Case of the Flower Can and The Case of the Boy Boxers.
Michael
Apr 22, 2009 Michael rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A trip down memory lane via audio book with this entry about Encyclopedia Brown, boy detective.

The mysteries are fairly straight-forward and based, for the most part, on observational clues about the alleged crime. I recall reading and loving these growing up and to hear them read on audio again now as a grown-up is a lot of fun.

Gina
Feb 17, 2017 Gina added it
Shelves: emmas-books-2017
Finished 2/13/17
Elisabeth

Leroy Brown is back in the next six books in the Encyclopedia Brown series. As Idaville’s ten-year-old star detective, Encyclopedia has an uncanny knack for trivia. With his unconventional knowledge, he solves mysteries for the neighborhood kids through his own detective agency. But his dad also happens to be the chief of the Idaville police department, and every night around the dinner table, Encyclopedia helps him solve some of the most baffling crimes. With ten confounding mysteries in each b

Kris
Feb 21, 2014 Kris rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids
I loved these as a kid, and was never patient enough to sit and think about the answer. I'd just flip to the end and read it. I remember not understanding all the solutions, and I remember the text being a little dated. Reading them again with my 8 yr old has been fun, but a little disappointing. I can see the clues pretty clearly the first time, but I enjoy pushing her to think through it. They are definitely dated in a 'Leave it to Beaver' kind of way, and some of the solutions rely on informa ...more
Brandon Burrup
Jan 02, 2014 Brandon Burrup rated it it was amazing
I loved Encyclopedia Brown books when I was a kid. He was the Sherlock Holmes of the neighborhood. The premise was not the only thing that made these books great. They were written in a very readable format for a kid with a relatively short attention span. Each chapter was a different case. Also the reader was always given the chance to try to solve the crime with the main character. This is probably where I picked up the habit of paying attention to little details in movies to try and figure ou ...more
Raja99
Sep 13, 2007 Raja99 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Why I Reread This Book in 2010: I found an inexpensive copy for sale at the Greenwood Half-Price Books.

My Goodreads notes say I previously finished reading this on 2007-04-01 ; I had absolutely no recollection of this. (I think I borrowed a bunch from my nephew while we were on a trip.)

I remember elements from 4 of the stories—"Champion Skier", "Smelly Nelly", "Model Universe", and "Apple Cider"—but I think I remember them from my childhood, not from my 2007 (re?)read.

(Finished rereading ~< 2
Sheri S.
May 28, 2015 Sheri S. rated it liked it
Encyclopedia gets to do some international crime solving in this book. He also explores a case related to worm-fiddling, something I had never previously heard of though wouldn't be surprised to learn exists. As usual, there's the regular crimes committed by Bugs Meany and/or members of his Tigers gang.
My daughter continues to ask for Encyclopedia Brown books even though she usually can't solve the mysteries. And, to be honest, sometimes I can't solve them either...For instance, I had no idea t
♆ BookAddict  ✒ La Crimson Femme
I recommend Encyclopedia Brown. I was 8 when I first encountered this series. I loved it. It was recommended by a boy that I liked. What I liked about these books is that it taught me how to think before making wild guesses. Each book had several cases which were easy to read and follow for a child. I recommend this to any parent looking for helping their child to use logic and deductive reasoning. Great on how to look at relevant facts at a child's level.
Penny
Jul 14, 2013 Penny rated it really liked it
This book was suggested by Liam for us to read together as part of our summer 2013 book club. We get 2 books from the library and read each chapter together. Then we discuss and try to figure out the mystery in each chapter from the clues we read. This is great for reading comprehension! Unfortunately we didn't even solve half they mysteries in this book. Hopefully we'll get as good as 10 year old detective Encyclopedia Brown!
Drew
Jul 23, 2007 Drew rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids
This is the perfect hospital read. You know that scene in About Schmidt where Jack Nicholson is surprised by the titular character's problem solving? Well, you never think you'll be outsmarted, but the boy wonder manages to piece everything together faster and more completely than his readers. A workout for the brain, even though it's written for 5th graders.
Mskychick
Reread Fair Game by Patricia Briggs
This is a placeholder, or rather a place counter, since stupid GoodReads does not allow one to count re-read books towards one's total book read count for the year.
Even though I've read the book before, I READ THE d&$n BOOK THIS YEAR, AND IT COUNTS TOWARD MY F%KING COUNTS!
Stupid Goodreads *grumble, grumble*
The Brothers
Jan 16, 2016 The Brothers rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: detectives, mysteries
I had my doubts about reading Asher (5 y.o.) these stories as I thought he might lose interest because this is more a chapter book than a picture book. Was horribly wrong. He loves the mysteries and doesn't seem to mind the lack of illustrations.
Booked
Dec 18, 2016 Booked rated it liked it
A blast from my past! I hadn't read Encyclopedia Brown for years, and it was so nostalgic to revisit. Perhaps unsurprisingly, the mysteries are a lot more obvious than I remember them being, and there are a lot of stock, caricatured characters... but it's fun stuff.
Boqin Zhang
May 08, 2012 Boqin Zhang rated it it was amazing
This book is not just fun to read but also gives you puzzles and riddles to solve. Even though the reader can just turn to the solution page to find the answer to the stories the reader can use their own brains and solve the story themself.
Jenny
Apr 10, 2010 Jenny added it
Encyclopedia Brown makes me just a little bit closer to that childhood super-sleuth dream of mine. Though by the looks of how I fared in solving the cases, it doesn't seem like I'd have much of a shot after all
Timothy McNeil
It isn't just that Sobol pretty much writes the characters as though he is angry with (or at) all of them. Rather, it is that Encyclopedia Brown's conclusions once again skip reality for conjecture. Seriously flawed and that is more than disappointing.
Brendan
Aug 28, 2013 Brendan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It is great
Sharon
Jan 08, 2010 Sharon rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2-3-times, mystery
I've not been much of a mystery fan as an adult, but I loved this series, and read the ones in our library several times.
Briana Mendez
Mar 23, 2011 Briana Mendez rated it it was amazing
This was my favorite book for years!
Caleb
Dec 22, 2014 Caleb rated it really liked it
good book i liked it
Cws
JMAR4-Sob
Alicia
Jan 09, 2013 Alicia rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-on-cd
Fun series of little solve your own mysteries. Tried reading the book aloud a while back but didn't interest. Now have been listening to stories on CD and they love it. Will try books again soon.
Doc-mok
Sep 12, 2014 Doc-mok rated it really liked it
A perennial favorite; and this time, I couldn't always solve them! ;)
Dan
Nov 09, 2009 Dan rated it it was amazing
One of my first!
Monique
Oct 30, 2012 Monique rated it it was amazing
Classic!!
Kar
Feb 09, 2009 Kar rated it really liked it
this is a review of the series as a whole.
these books taught me that reading didn't have to be a chore. less predictable and formulaic than your typical scooby-doo episode.
Eric
Sep 17, 2008 Eric rated it liked it
Recommended to Eric by: my Dad
My Dad turned me on to Encyclopedia Brown. He read these books when he was a kid, too. For some reason I found him more readable than The Hardy Boys, who I never did end up liking at all.
Timothy Boyd
Feb 19, 2016 Timothy Boyd rated it really liked it
These are fantastic books. I loved them as a kid. You can solve the mysteries along with Encyclopedia Brown, all the clues are in the story. They make you think. Very recommended for young readers
Hank
Apr 05, 2007 Hank rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childhood
A brilliant rolemodel. I could only wish I knew that much!
  • Detective Stories
  • The Ghostwriter Secret (Brixton Brothers #2)
  • Nate The Great And The Lost List (Nate The Great)
  • Space and Beyond (Choose Your Own Adventure, #4)
  • Deadwood City (Choose Your Own Adventure, #8)
  • Top Secret
  • The Mystery of the Carnival Prize (Cam Jansen Mysteries, #9)
  • The Mystery of the Screaming Clock (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #9)
  • Tree House Mystery (The Boxcar Children, #14)
  • The Sinister Sign Post (Hardy Boys, #15)
  • The Bobbsey Twins' Search in the Great City (Bobbsey Twins, #9)
  • Say Good-Bye (Wild at Heart, #5)
  • The Secret of the Haunted Mirror (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #21)
  • Henry and the Clubhouse (Henry, #5)
  • The Great Brain Is Back (Great Brain #8)
  • Ticket Trouble (Nancy Drew and the Clue Crew, #10)
  • The Gatehouse Mystery (Trixie Belden #3)
  • The Mystery of the Laughing Shadow (Alfred Hitchcock and the Three Investigators, #12)
Donald J. Sobol was an award-winning writer best known for his children's books, especially the Encyclopedia Brown mystery series. Mr. Sobol passed away in July of 2012.
More about Donald J. Sobol...

Encyclopedia Brown (1 - 10 of 28 books)
  • Encyclopedia Brown, Boy Detective (Encyclopedia Brown, #1)
  • Encyclopedia Brown and the Case of the Secret Pitch (Encyclopedia Brown, #2)
  • Encyclopedia Brown Finds the Clues (Encyclopedia Brown, #3)
  • Encyclopedia Brown Gets His Man (Encyclopedia Brown, #4)
  • Encyclopedia Brown Solves Them All (Encyclopedia Brown, #5)
  • Encyclopedia Brown Keeps the Peace (Encyclopedia Brown, #6)
  • Encyclopedia Brown Saves the Day
  • Encyclopedia Brown Shows the Way (Encyclopedia Brown, #9)
  • Encyclopedia Brown Takes the Case (Encyclopedia Brown, #10)
  • Encyclopedia Brown Lends a Hand (Encyclopedia Brown, #11)