Start by marking “Angels of the Silences” as Want to Read:
Angels of the Silences

Angels of the Silences

Emily and Biff are seventeen and best friends. They have been dead for nine months...
Published January 12th 2016 by Omnium Gatherum Media (first published January 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Angels of the Silences, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Angels of the Silences

Matthew Fryer
Jul 01, 2011 Matthew Fryer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I’d been looking forward to some new Bestwickian horror, and beamed when I read of “Angels of the Silences” impending release, and then again - twice as wide - when the beautifully produced novella flopped onto my doormat. I acquired it as part of a generous bonus offer when purchasing another chapbook from Pendragon Press, but I would have happily paid the cover price.

The tale concerns our narrator Emily, and her best friend Biff. They’re likeable goth girls full of attitude and heart, and fair
Mark
Feb 17, 2011 Mark rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
“Emily and Biff are seventeen and best friends. They have also been dead for nine months”. So goes the tagline to Simon Bestwick’s latest novella, an intriguing set-up that leads into a dark tale of corporeal ghosts, the deterioration of old friendships and revenge. Moshers and Goths, Em and Biff meet Adam in a local nightspot (which I have a sneaking suspicion might be based on a real place), but he drugs them and whisks them off to a deserted farmhouse where he assaults and kills them. Except ...more
Ross Warren
Jan 28, 2016 Ross Warren rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Blew me away. The narrative voice was spot-on in this tale of two girls who are horrifically murdered and find themselves with the chance at revenge from beyond the (shallow) grave. The eventual comeuppance of the antagonist is deftly handled, and a genuine punch-the-air moment, but, what really crushed my heart was a genuinely emotional moment between the two girls towards the end. A novella of the highest caliber from one of the best British voices in horror.
Mimi
Jun 14, 2016 Mimi rated it liked it
Shelves: giveaways
I looked forward to reading this book after winning a copy in a Goodreads giveaway.

'Angles of the Silences' is about two girls named Emily and Biff.

Told from Emily's point of view, you first think that they are just normal seventeen year old girls. Sadly, though you soon learn that they are not. They are dead and have been for the past nine months after being murdered.

This was an interesting story that I enjoyed. I like stories that are told in the 1st person and I think the author does it wel
Brandon
Jan 27, 2016 Brandon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The publishers were kind enough to send me a copy to check out. Thanks!

I didn't do a background check on the author before I started reading and didn't know what anyone was talking about until I realized that they had British accents. Lots of British slang I had to Google! After I gave everyone British accents the story moved a lot more smoothly. It was an interesting take on the ghost tale. Thought the characters were fleshed out pretty well in limited pages. A fun read.
Victoria Fuller
Jan 29, 2016 Victoria Fuller rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was given a pdf copy of this book, i assume in return for a review. For that I am very grateful, as I probably would have had trouble finding it otherwise.

First off, I hadn't realized that this was a novella. I do not mind that, but it gave me a strange sense that the tale was not finished.
Beside that I did like the story quite a bit. The characters were well developed despite the short length of the story itself. It was complete and well written, though sometimes the language felt forced. I
Tori
Jan 26, 2016 Tori rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Riveting and immersive! Simon Bestwick tells a vivid tale through the voice of a recently murdered goth Brit teen. This captivating novella is bound to be my gateway to a library shelf of Bestwick fiction.
Jess
Jess rated it liked it
Apr 11, 2016
John Hepple
Feb 18, 2016 John Hepple rated it it was amazing
Absolutely stunning novella. Bestwick is fast becoming one of my favourite horror writers.
Anthony Watson
Anthony Watson rated it really liked it
Dec 02, 2013
James Everington
James Everington rated it really liked it
Jun 25, 2016
Jonathan Laidlow
Jonathan Laidlow rated it really liked it
Kate Jonez
Kate Jonez rated it it was amazing
Maureen
Maureen rated it it was amazing
Feb 27, 2016
Cate Gardner
Cate Gardner rated it it was amazing
Feb 16, 2011
Phil
Phil rated it really liked it
Feb 04, 2016
natercopia
natercopia marked it as to-read
May 03, 2012
Dawn cline
Dawn cline marked it as to-read
Oct 11, 2012
abcdefg
abcdefg marked it as to-read
Nov 08, 2012
Cat Freckleton
Cat Freckleton marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2013
Kendall
Kendall marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2014
Brooke
Brooke marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2015
Donna
Donna marked it as to-read
Jan 06, 2016
Melissa Bryan
Melissa Bryan marked it as to-read
Jan 10, 2016
∞Bertha
∞Bertha marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2016
Bill
Bill marked it as to-read
Elke
Elke added it
Frederick Rotzien
Frederick Rotzien marked it as to-read
Nicola Fantom
Nicola Fantom marked it as to-read
Betty
Betty marked it as to-read
Carla
Carla marked it as to-read
Tim Gray
Tim Gray marked it as to-read
Julia Conway
Julia Conway marked it as to-read
SALLY WHITE
SALLY WHITE marked it as to-read
Lisa Childs
Lisa Childs marked it as to-read
Ann Ellis
Ann Ellis marked it as to-read
Erik
Erik marked it as to-read
Ms. Reader
Ms. Reader marked it as to-read
Heather Flaigg
Heather Flaigg marked it as to-read
Andra
Andra marked it as to-read
Glenn
Glenn marked it as to-read
Sue
Sue marked it as to-read
Emma
Emma marked it as to-read
Jan 28, 2016
Meet Omnium Gathe...: Release Day Angels of the Silences 1 5 Jan 15, 2016 02:29PM
  • Texas Chainsaw Mantis
  • All Smoke Rises: Milk-Blood Redux
  • Borealis
  • Crawlspace
  • Nightsiders
  • Exorcist Road
  • Jack & Jill
  • Bill, the Galactic Hero on the Planet of Zombie Vampires (Bill, #5)
  • The Shelter