Start by marking “Goblins!” as Want to Read:

4.23 of 5 stars 4.23  ·  rating details  ·  1,759 ratings  ·  27 reviews
Goblins, a subspecies of faerie, are those creatures that cause all the trouble in the human world. Froud and Berk have investigated goblins and, unfortunately, infected their book with them. Anyone who brings this book home will be in big trouble.
Unknown Binding, 88 pages
Published 2004 by Pavilion

To ask other readers questions about Goblins!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Goblins!

This is basically an outlet to collect some of Brian Froud's drawings of Goblins. He was a creature designer in Labyrinth, and the style is very evident in his drawings here. Around the illustrations is a collection of anecdotes and notes about Goblin life. They're interesting, but they're not very comprehensive or coherent - lots of bits and pieces but they didn't paint a full picture. And there's a lot of fascination with farting. Some of it is silly and funny, but for the most part it seems l ...more
Insipid. This is one of those books that makes me ask, yet again, why do publishers waste ink on this shite, and why did the authors waste their time on it? The text here was of a pretty decent length, with an absurd amount of detail, and said almost nothing. Some of it wasn't even cogent (don't get me started on the 'astrological' 'insights' in the captions under the first few drawings.) If the writers had really wanted to make this book interesting, even charming, they could have. Instead, the ...more
T.L. Wood
I really love this book from Brian Froud! It really is quite a humorous book about goblins! I really enjoy Brian’s British wit and writing style and being married to a British man, I completely understand and appreciate his sense of humor. When my son was in middle school he just loved this book! He used to always look through this book and ask me all the time to sketch him the goblins from the book for his book covers for school. Soon I found myself sketching out quite a few of the goblins for ...more
Gorgeous, imaginative art, as I've come to expect from Brian Froud! The descriptions of the various creatures depicted are creatively written, with wonderful little comments by goblins thrown in throughout. A great book of art for adults to enjoy, and I know when I was a child I would have absolutely adored the interactive nature of it (a letter in the back, notes from the authours on the dangers of their work with goblins, comments from a goblin being held captive in the closet, etc.)
Nenia Campbell

|| Twitter || || Facebook || || Booklikes || Pinterest ||

GOBLINS! is a difficult book to review. On the one hand, it's a picture book and those kinds of books are generally for children. On the other hand, the jokes and language in the text are very sophisticated and would be difficult for a child to read or understand, even with an adult's help.

My best guess is that this is one of those books geared towards adults who, like me, never quite made it out of fantasy land.

I enjoyed GOBLINS! My
Wayne Farmer
Yes this is a little bit silly in places, but Brian Froud's books are always full of silly, pointless fun. The artwork as always is lovely, although my one complaint would be that there weren't enough pictures of Goblins for my liking! If you love the Goblins in the movie Labyrinth like I do or any of the Pressed Fairy Books (Lady Cottington gets a mention) then you'd love this book - in particular the bits where a Goblin has added his own contributions to the book.
Berk and Froud attempt to translate the Codex Goblinensis, but find themselves wishing they left the subject alone. They had "help" from the goblin Gargle and Froud's camera. Froud actually altered the camera used by Euphemia Cottington to take her famous faery photos. This book was creative and fun, but not my favorite of Brian Froud's. At times it was slow, and a bit of a mess in the details, but overall enjoyable.
I own Froud’s “Good Fairies/Bad Fairies” book and it is enchanting. So when I saw this one I was prepared for more of the same. Unfortunately, this pseudo-scientific thesis is not nearly as charming. Froud and Berk must have knocked themselves out trying to come up with so much exhaustively detailed information.
Why, yes, I am a sucker for anything by Froud. Have I ever mentioned that I named my only child after a Henson/Froud creation? Yeah, so naturally, I loved it! I have almost all of his books, and no, I won't share them. My daughter would kill me in my sleep if I did. So I won't risk it. Get yer own.
Dec 19, 2008 Leonardo rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Froudians and changelings
One of the highlight's in Brian Fround's career, "Globins!" is a delighful book, a mischiveous guide through the society of the less savoury of the fairy-folk. "Pretty goblins" indeed... a treat to the eye (and many other senses... thought not always in the most pleasant of ways).
Saoirse Sterling
Basically, it's a kids book for kids with quite vague imaginations. The information was fairly insipid, and most of it was pretty whacky stuff your kid might like after some smarties, but the drawings were what I got the book for. I could look at goblins all day.
Do not drink anything while reading this book or you will have a serious mess on your hands...

... which will actually delight the Goblins.

Wickedly clever and funny book.

For more about an astounding storyteller, visit
A funny,well drawn,well written book.I loved the notes from the goblins and all the little things there are to pick up on!
A awesome book if your looking for a break from a bout of long or depressing books!:)
Amusing and lovely, like most Froud!Things. I love getting to own books like this. The art is gorgeous and the universe of the Goblins and the Author & Artist.
I loved this book! I always enjoy Brian Froud's art, but his book is not only good art; this book is a really funny one! I really enjoyed the "pretty goblins"
I'm a sucker for anything he draws or contributes to. This is fairly expensive, but had to have it to look at whenever I wanted!
Alecia Edwards
Not so much a book for reading as for enjoying the images and art. So I feel like I am cheating when I say I 'read' it....
Fabulous art work and funny stories.
Debra Gordon

Not a great read, but awesome illustrations.
I like Froud's faery books more, but this was also great.
The art in these series is just beautiful.
William Cameron
Fuun to look and find out about goblins
Lily Bleu
Lily Bleu marked it as to-read
Oct 07, 2015
Kyla Hanson
Kyla Hanson marked it as to-read
Oct 05, 2015
  • Strange Stains and Mysterious Smells: Based on Quentin Cottington's Journal of Faery Research
  • The Secret History of Giants
  • Fairie-ality: The Fashion Collection from the House of Ellwand
  • Secrets of the Gnomes
  • A Midsummer Night's Faery Tale
  • The Fairies: Photographic Evidence of the Existence of Another World
  • Spirits, Fairies, Leprechauns, and Goblins: An Encyclopedia
  • The Great Encyclopedia Of Faeries
  • Encyclopedia of Fairies: Hobgoblins, Brownies, Bogies, & Other Supernatural Creatures
  • The Discovery of Dragons
  • The Heart of Faerie Oracle - Book & Tarot Cards
  • Arthur Spiderwick's Field Guide to the Fantastical World Around You
  • The Element Encyclopedia of Magical Creatures: The Ultimate A-Z of Fantastic Beings from Myth and Magic
  • Fairies
  • Voyage of the Basset
  • Fairyopolis: A Flower Fairies Journal
  • The Flight of Dragons
  • The Wild Wood
Brian Froud is an award-winning illustrator, author, and faery authority. His books include the international best-sellers Faeries, Lady Cottington's Pressed Fairy Book, Lady Cottington's Fairy Album, and The Faeries' Oracle. He also served as the conceptual designer on Jim Henson's films The Dark Crystal and Labyrinth. Froud lives in Devon, England.

"I paint the spirit and s
More about Brian Froud...
Faeries Good Faeries Bad Faeries The World of the "Dark Crystal" Lady Cottington's Fairy Album Brian Froud's World of Faerie