Designing with Type: The Essential Guide to Typography

Designing with Type: The Essential Guide to Typography

3.87 of 5 stars 3.87  ·  rating details  ·  361 ratings  ·  22 reviews
The classic "Designing with Type" has been completely redesigned, with an updated format and full color throughout. New information and new images make this perennial best-seller an even more valuable tool for anyone interested in learning about typography. The fifth edition has been integrated with a convenient website, www.designingwithtype.com, where students and teache...more
Paperback, Fifth Edition, 175 pages
Published May 1st 2006 by Watson-Guptill Publications (first published January 1st 1971)

To ask other readers questions about Designing with Type, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Designing with Type

Deanna Knippling
Absolutely stellar. After trying to sort through some other books on graphic design and typography, this one was a pleasant, clear, insightful read that didn't just give the rules of design but explained them so I could both understand and start brainstorming.
Nat
Nov 19, 2011 Nat added it
Given my profession, I was unsettled by this practical recommendation on p.138:

"Try to avoid spending excessive amounts of time discussing or philosophizing about what you might do, since this is a highly developed form of procrastination and reflects an uncertainty of just how to proceed".

And I wonder why the authors feel entitled to the following dogmatic statement on the same page, given their ability throughout the rest of the work to outline general heuristics for good type design:

"Keep...more
Kathy Bateman
Even if you don't consider yourself much of a designer you will certainly get a bunch of useful information out of this book. Anybody and everybody could use a little help making their Word Documents and other digital text be more readable.

Designing with Type even includes a selection of exercises to help you practice what you learn.

I learned so much from this book that when I got to the end I just kept reading all the way through the glossary item-by-item to make sure I absorbed every piece of...more
Tracy E. Hieatt
On the plus side, contains a quick overview of typography history and has plenty of graphic examples. Discusses key terms and gives an overview of typography standards.

On the con side, contains too much information that is outdated to digital producers of content. Leave it as a history lesson, not something to be practically absorbed, unless the student wants to. Also found three typographic mistakes, which is hardly encouraging in a book about typography.
Overlord
Good introductory book, nothing mind blowing.
Nourhan Saad
Sep 10, 2012 Nourhan Saad rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Graphic Designers
Recommended to Nourhan by: Online Search
It was a very interesting and informative book to me specially that I have just started my typography studies. As for the eBook edition, the illustrations was very poor quality although I think the publisher tried to makeup for that by the website content.
Annamarie
I had to get this book for my typography class and I found this to be very informative, and the background on some of the most used typefaces helped. But at times I found the book to be rather dry and boring.
Lindig
When I was a typesetter, this was the bible, not for everyday look-ups but for reading to learn the basics and for guidelines and for ways to think about the box and the rules and how and when to flout them.
Kristian Ignatov
This book serves as both a very compressed history of typography as well as a glossary of type terms every designer should know. It is a must read for the beginner and a great stepping stone for the veteran.
Peter
Jun 09, 2007 Peter rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: designers/illustrators
I'm actually reading the 3rd edition, and it looks from this that they're up to the 5th by now, so my impressions won't be entirely up-to-date...
Leonard Houx
More basic than I was expecting. For me, the most interesting part was the section on line spacing, which gave some great practical advice.
Steven
Dec 22, 2011 Steven rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone who is interested in, but knows little about, typography.
Useful exercises and a clear, excellent primer on typography and how it can be used in graphic design.
Dawn
Randomly picked this up at the library. Surprising learned quite a bit.
Sonia
If you've never studied typography, then this is definitely the book for you.
molly k
Definitely worth a read! But, in my opinion, not a buy.
Carmen Cardoza
Great reference book for best practices in typography.
Catrina
Provides a good introduction to typography.
Kathryn
A great introduction to the basics.
Taylor Xavier
pretty basic, but good information
Brett
  • Meggs' History of Graphic Design
  • How to be a Graphic Designer Without Losing Your Soul
  • The Elements of Typographic Style
  • Grid Systems: Principles of Organizing Type
  • Thinking with Type: A Primer for Designers: A Critical Guide for Designers, Writers, Editors, & Students
  • The New Typography
  • Design Basics Index: A Graphic Designer's Guide to Designing Effective Compositions, Selecting Dynamic Components & Developing Creative Concepts
  • Grid Systems in Graphic Design/Raster Systeme Fur Die Visuele Gestaltung (German and English Edition)
  • How to Think Like a Great Graphic Designer
  • 79 Short Essays on Design
  • Logo Design Love: A Guide to Creating Iconic Brand Identities
  • Layout Workbook: A Real-World Guide to Building Pages in Graphic Design
  • 100 Ideas That Changed Graphic Design
  • Logo, Font & Lettering Bible: A Comprehensive Guide to the Design, Construction and Usage of Alphabets and Symbols
  • Graphic Artists Guild Handbook: Pricing & Ethical Guidelines
Basic Typography: A Design Manual Thirty Centuries of Graphic Design: An Illustrated Survey Production for the Graphic Designer Being a Drug Addict & Other Secrets of Life Graphic Design Career Guide