Start by marking “Managing Online Forums: Everything You Need to Know to Create and Run Successful Community Discussion Boards” as Want to Read:

3.72  ·  Rating Details  ·  58 Ratings  ·  7 Reviews
Every day, millions of users log on to their favorite online forums, communities and social spaces and interact with others to get advice and discuss everything from the latest news and trends to their hobbies and professions to whatever else strikes their fancy. Administrators have to lead these communities, deal with difficult users, manage staff members and make tough d ...more
Published April 28th 2008 by AMACOM (first published April 10th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Managing Online Forums, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Managing Online Forums

Trevor Owens
May 14, 2011 Trevor Owens rated it really liked it
Shelves: web-community
The book delivers what the title suggests. As someone who managed forums for an open source community software project I can say that I would have benefited from reading this earlier. The book focuses on examples from vBullitin and phpBB and might have benefited more from consideration of a range of other platforms (things like BBpress and or Vanilla forums). With that said, the focus of the book is not really on specific software as much as it is on general principles. The book does a particula ...more
Matt
Jan 21, 2011 Matt rated it liked it
Shelves: biz-reads
At times this went too deep into the quibbles of forum denizens and the author seemed to be a bit obsessed with governance. Governance is important, but his suggestions came off a bit autocratic at times. Beyond those issues, this book is a practical guide to setting up an entire community, not just forums as the title suggests.
Heidi
Sep 12, 2008 Heidi rated it really liked it
Recommended to Heidi by: Patrick O'Keefe
Patrick does a great job of giving you all the details you need to create a successful online forum, from the why to the excruciatingly detailed how. Some chapters are good reference, but definitely read the first half before you create your own forums. I wish I had!
Ryan
Dec 07, 2010 Ryan rated it really liked it
I didn't read this book from cover to cover. But I read what I needed to read. Even if one is using a different online discussion site/platform from the one in the book, one can always apply the general guidelines prescribed. Useful? Yes.
Malcolm
Apr 06, 2010 Malcolm rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: Anyone running an online forum
The title of this book accurately reflects what you will find in its covers. I'm sure it would be an excellent guide for anyone setting up an on line forum. I was reading it for another purpose.
I didn't learn a lot from this book as I have no intention of managing an online forum. In the absence of books on how to operate Blackboard online sites, I read this kind of book hoping to glean a few new ideas. Therefore I could afford to skip the sections in this book on managing staff and making money
Levi
Nov 07, 2012 Levi rated it it was amazing
This is great book for anyone thinking of running an online forum. I read it all the way through but this book will constantly be skimmed back and forth as I build my community.
Bethharte
Sep 12, 2008 Bethharte rated it it was amazing
Shelves:
This is a great book if you are considering setting up an online forum. It provides pros/cons, etc.
George Pór
George Pór rated it liked it
Jun 25, 2016
Nick
Nick marked it as to-read
May 17, 2016
Michelle Cook
Michelle Cook rated it really liked it
Apr 17, 2016
Christopher Parrish
Christopher Parrish is currently reading it
Mar 15, 2016
Jonaed
Jonaed rated it it was amazing
Feb 10, 2016
José Fernandes
José Fernandes rated it it was amazing
Feb 07, 2016
Mela
Mela rated it liked it
Jan 30, 2016
Lisa Carter
Lisa Carter rated it liked it
Nov 12, 2015
Ophélie Lechat
Ophélie Lechat rated it really liked it
Sep 16, 2015
Joe Van Steen
Joe Van Steen rated it liked it
Jul 19, 2015
Steven Murawski
Steven Murawski rated it it was ok
Jul 17, 2015
Terry
Terry marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2015
Magdalena
Magdalena is currently reading it
Jul 06, 2015
Zach Boyle
Zach Boyle marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2015
Jonathan Brier
Jonathan Brier marked it as to-read
May 27, 2015
Rishma Mehta
Rishma Mehta marked it as to-read
May 12, 2015
Louis DeRienzo
Louis DeRienzo marked it as to-read
May 04, 2015
Meghan Krogh
Meghan Krogh marked it as to-read
Oct 03, 2015
Martin
Martin rated it liked it
Mar 12, 2015
Rob Weir
Rob Weir marked it as to-read
Mar 03, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Video: SXSWi 2008 Book Reading: "Managing Online Forums" 1 11 Oct 13, 2008 07:34PM
Patrick O'Keefe is the founder of the iFroggy Network, a publisher of websites. He has been managing online communities since 2000 and is the author of "Managing Online Forums," a practical guide to managing online communities and social spaces. Patrick blogs about online community at ManagingCommunities.com and hosts the Community Signal podcast.
More about Patrick O'Keefe...

“You'll notice that I said guidelines and not rules. Guidelines allow for some flexibility, some discretion. Rules are more likely to be enforced in a hard and fast manner, which can leave little room for interpretation and will probably lead to you having to deal with more nutcases who insist on reading them fifty times backward and forward in hopes of finding an angle where they think you are being inconsistent. Your user guidelines are a key communication tool for you. They are a type of vision statement for your community. By putting your expectations of users in writing, you are letting everyone know what your vision is for your community. By communicating this, people will know what they are in for and will either get behind you (and participate) or get away from you. Either way, they will at least know what your community is all about, and having this level of communication is vital to your success.” 0 likes